Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 16:54   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Hey ash_blore, congrats man. It is raining A*-ATs on TBHP.

BTW, one thing I noticed with the Central locking that comes standard on the A*-AT is that only the driver-side is true central-locking. The front-passenger side only locks/unlocks that particular door. In my Baleno, the stock central-locking works on both doors.
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:41   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, one thing I noticed with the Central locking that comes standard on the A*-AT is that only the driver-side is true central-locking. The front-passenger side only locks/unlocks that particular door. In my Baleno, the stock central-locking works on both doors.
One more proof that A* is an Alto at heart! Same system in my K10. Driver side closes/opens all the doors, the passenger side only that door.

Last edited by Aroy : 3rd May 2011 at 18:44.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:49   #183
Senior - BHPian

Is there any real advantage in having central locks for the passenger door also? I think it unnecessarily increases the cost of the car.
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:30   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Hey ash_blore, congrats man. It is raining A*-ATs on TBHP.

Thanks Aroy and SupremeBaleno. Yes on the old Alto even the passenger doors lock/unlock all doors. I think on the new ones they are restricted to the driver side only.

On both my matiz and the accent only the driver door has the entire car lock/unlock and the other doors control only those. I seem to be fine with this and am used to it I guess.
Old 4th May 2011, 09:49   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Is there any real advantage in having central locks for the passenger door also? I think it unnecessarily increases the cost of the car.
Actually it does not increase the cost much (if at all). The electrical lock actuation mechanism is present on all doors. All it requires is for the signal from all doors to be pooled so that actuation of any one door lock would reflect on other doors. Whether to have it or not is a personal preference.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:51   #186
BHPian

Finally the day we were waiting for came. Saturday evening around 4:30pm we went to sagar to pick up the A*at. It was ready and waiting for us. The sales rep quickly sat us down for the signatures and gave us the keys.

My wife drove the car for a few meters and promptly asked me to do the rest of the driving. Hmm here I was thinking that she would drive it. Anyway since the in house poojari was not available we went to the ganesha temple in jayanagar 4th block and got the pooja done. We were car #2, car #1 being a brand new merc c220

After that it was Mayas icecream and then a full tank of gas. Will drive around for some time and top her up again and see what the FE works out to be. For the moment its all A/C driving in city mode. Perhaps over the weekend we might take her for a short mysore drive or so.

Since these posts must come with a customary pic, here are some
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-photo0276.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-photo0277.jpg  

Old 9th May 2011, 11:46   #187
Senior - BHPian

I haven't done much of highway driving, but I think the head-lights of A-star are superb for city driving. The foot paths are also illuminated (good side throw for the light), so night driving is very comfortable.

The outside rear-view mirrors could have been better (larger), though.
Old 9th May 2011, 18:56   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Finally the day we were waiting for came. Saturday evening around 4:30pm we went to sagar to pick up the A*at. It was ready and waiting for us. The sales rep quickly sat us down for the signatures and gave us the keys.

My wife drove the car for a few meters and promptly asked me to do the rest of the driving. Hmm here I was thinking that she would drive it. Anyway since the in house poojari was not available we went to the ganesha temple in jayanagar 4th block and got the pooja done. We were car #2, car #1 being a brand new merc c220

After that it was Mayas icecream and then a full tank of gas. Will drive around for some time and top her up again and see what the FE works out to be. For the moment its all A/C driving in city mode. Perhaps over the weekend we might take her for a short mysore drive or so.

Since these posts must come with a customary pic, here are some
Congratulations ash_blore. Happy driving. Please keep us posted on your baby
Old 9th May 2011, 20:03   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Finally the day we were waiting for came. Saturday evening around 4:30pm we went to sagar to pick up the A*at. It was ready and waiting for us.
Congrats ash_blore. Does your car have an 'automatic' badge at the rear? Many people have reported the missing 'automatic' badge from their new car. I have the 'automatic' badge, but the 'Vxi' badge is missing.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:27   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats ash_blore. Does your car have an 'automatic' badge at the rear? Many people have reported the missing 'automatic' badge from their new car. I have the 'automatic' badge, but the 'Vxi' badge is missing.
Yes I do have the Automatic badge
Old 9th May 2011, 20:36   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Same thing in the i10 Sportz too, i guess its got to do with giving the lock/unlock privilege to only the driver.

Quote:
How i wish the AStar had a larger rear view mirror everytime i drive the i10! Maruti should definitely consider larger ORVM for this car if they ever come out with a restyle job.
Old 11th May 2011, 12:52   #192
BANNED

Note from Mod : You have way too many spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other members / guests.

You are hereby instructed to proof-read your posts prior to hitting the "submit" button. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2011 at 13:07.
jacksons is offline   Received Infraction
Old 11th May 2011, 13:37   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt
Many people have reported the missing 'automatic' badge from their new car. I have the 'automatic' badge, but the 'Vxi' badge is missing.
@jino, I believe the badging on your car is correct - Vxi is not expected for the AT version. I am one of those who did not get the "Automatic" badge, but got VXi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Maruti should definitely consider larger ORVM for this car if they ever come out with a restyle job.
So true - the ORVMs are too small and setting them is also a pain. Bigger mirrors and electrically operated would be awesome.

BTW, spotted a white A*-AT in my town at Kerala last weekend - it had the Automatic badge (no Vxi).
Old 11th May 2011, 18:36   #194
BHPian

Here is an update. I have been driving the car for a few days now (bought it for wife but she lets me use it seeing how excited I am). Driving it in blore traffic is definitely better than my accent gls. Here are some of the likes and dislikes

a) The biggest one here is the mileage. I have not computed yet (since I am waiting to top up) but I have a feeling its going to be better than my hyundai. I was getting 10 with the accent. Hoping for at lest 12. I am on A/C 80% of the time

b) Definitely the a/c is rocking. It does the job very well. Blower at #2 is a boon. I have not put sunfilm yet but still it does a great job. Love the a/c. Love the a/c.

c) The engine is again awesome. The K series engine is great. Lots of pull with the a/c on. Very comfortable to drive. Must say its nice for the small car. Definitely doesnt feel underpowered

d) The AT is also nice. No jhanjhat of changing gears in the traffic. Just accelerate and brake. Like a video game

e) Both kids love the car. Now my 7 yr old wants to have a go at driving it. A strict no from my side.

f) ABS is handy safety feature to have. I liked it in my accent as well.

DISLIKES
a) No rear leg room. Not a major one since I dont intend to sit behind. its for the kids. They love it

b) ORVM is lousy as its so small

c) Miss the paddle shift from the civic

d) The music system is barely 5/10. Anyway it does it job. Dont feel like changing it.

Overall first impression is that the car is an excellent second car for the wife. She too like it and is comfortable driving it. Definitely a good choice.
Old 11th May 2011, 21:17   #195
BANNED

I have all Automatic, VXI and ABS badge on my car, its quite strange that Maruti is inconsistent in badging.
ORVMs are small but one gat used to it after some time, atleast I am.
The fuel average and the engine was the main criteria for me to go for A* and I am getting better FE than my Wagon R on same route and same traffic condition and I am very happy.

Most Viewed