Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:50   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I too bought a A Star auto in March reading the reviews here on TEAM BHP, I am getting a mileage of 8 with A/c in Bangalore city, my wife does not drive more than 40kmph the car has done about 600kms, any pointers to improve fuel efficiancy
8 KMPL? Too low for an A-Star AT. You said your wife drives. May be she doesn't rev enough to let the transmission shift up and car stays in 1st/2nd. Otherwise I do not see how it can return so low FE figures. Mine always returns 14-15 in city with aircon always on. Highway FE is 17-18 Kmpl.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:04   #422
BHPian

Hi guys, posted my review of our A Star AT here. Have a look. Mine gives 10.5 with aircon before the first service in Bangalore traffic. Might improve after a couple of services.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:49   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Mine always returns 14-15 in city with aircon always on. Highway FE is 17-18 Kmpl.
I have got 14 - 15 a couple of times, but with moderate traffic and a VERY light foot. Not something that is feasible or FUN always. In general, in heavy Bangalore traffic, I get anything between 11 - 13 with A/C. And my wife gets anything between 11 - 12 with A/C.

Last time on the highway with a full load (both people and luggage), and 70 - 80 % A/C I got 17 km/l.

I will be travelling to Kerala in the A-Star this weekend. Will check the F.E. once again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I too bought a A Star auto in March reading the reviews here on TEAM BHP, I am getting a mileage of 8 with A/c in Bangalore city, my wife does not drive more than 40kmph the car has done about 600kms, any pointers to improve fuel efficiancy
Probably she is using a lot more throttle than you should really be. In an AT, you should not drive the same way as in a manual. Use very little throttle and only when required push it way down.

When on a light foot, the car senses no urgency, and goes to the next higher gear at the earliest possible speed.

If you use more throttle, the car senses a need for more power, and either retains the same gear, or even shifts down based on your current speed, gradient as well as the throttle position.

So try getting used the light foot mode, as much as possible. In heavy traffic, A-Star should return anything between 10 - 13 with A/C.

One more thing, in traffic jams and at signals, which we have a lot in Bangalore, put the car on Neutral (whenever possible) and shut off the engine, if the signal is for a longer duration. Of course, please make sure you have the handbrakes applied

If you are in D, the transmission is in 1st gear, and fuel is wasted. Also, you will be on brakes to restrict the movement, in turn reducing brake life too.
scuderiaferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:16   #424
BHPian

thank you scuderiaferrari, willl be taking a print of this post and give it to her.
Old 19th June 2012, 06:43   #425
BHPian

We were planning to buy a star auto. We were wondering how is the performance of the car on steep inclines. Can it start on steep incline from zero?
Old 19th June 2012, 06:48   #426
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy
We were planning to buy a star auto. We were wondering how is the performance of the car on steep inclines. Can it start on steep incline from zero?
Excellent little city car. I drove it on a test drive once, up a pretty steep ramp, from stand still. Simply released the handbrake and banged on the accelerator. Being a front wheel drive and a very light car indeed, it had absolutely no problem climbing.
However there was only me and the sales chap and no luggage in the car.
If under full load conditions on a very steep incline like say 35 to 45 degrees range or so, the car might struggle a bit but it will get there in the end!
Old 19th June 2012, 11:49   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
We drove to Ooty through the Masinagudi route and the A-star AT managed quite well. I had to go down to 0 Kph couple of times on the hair-pin bends and had no problem picking up from there. The L mode helps in those situations.
Old 19th June 2012, 19:28   #428
BHPian

Thanks.

We are planning to book it through Garuda motors Sankey road. Are they good? They do have AT car ready for test drive (although not the refresh which they brought today). However they are not offering any discount as such and their quoted loan rate is also high.

Who is the best dealer in Bangalore? And what freebies could I expect?

Also, how good is the resale value of a-star auto? and cost of maintenance?

Last edited by sumannandy : 19th June 2012 at 19:29.
Old 19th June 2012, 19:50   #429
Senior - BHPian

@sumannandy, there is both good news and bad news as response to your queries.

Bad news is that with the recent petrol-price hike, the resale value of petrol cars have tanked - there is a thread started in the last few days about this.
So, safe to guess that when you sell the car after a few years, resale value is not going to increase for petrol cars, unless diesel and petrol are priced similarly, which is not going to happen.

Good news is that new car sales have also tanked due to the petrol-price hike and rumours of a tax on diesel cars and dealers are sitting on inventory which they would like to move out. So bargain hard and you should be getting a good deal, especially on a petrol car. Check out with all dealers in Blore for the best deal.

Regarding your query on maintenance, our AStar-AT is now 1.5years old and there was no maintenance cost other than what was paid for the 3rd free service where the oil and filter has to be paid for. IIRC it was withing 1K - exact figures in my ownership thread. FE is very good for an AT and so it does not pinch the pocket when it comes to running cost.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th June 2012 at 19:52.
Old 19th June 2012, 20:26   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Can it start on steep incline from zero?
A/T cars (T/C type) are usually faarr better than M/T when it comes to starting on an incline...thanks to the torque converter.

2ndly you dont have to be a skilled driver to pull it off (you do in an M/T)
Old 19th June 2012, 20:46   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Good news is that new car sales have also tanked due to the petrol-price hike and rumours of a tax on diesel cars and dealers are sitting on inventory which they would like to move out. So bargain hard and you should be getting a good deal, especially on a petrol car. Check out with all dealers in Blore for the best deal.
I checked with two dealers (Bimal/Pratham) - and both are not budging apart from the 30k discount from Maruti - which is like a standard monthly offer.
Old 21st June 2012, 18:42   #432
BHPian

Booked it today with Garuda motors. I found their sales person to be knowledgable and eager to sell. Estimated delivery time is 25 days but they confirmed that one car is in transit and they would try to deliver by 10 days.
Old 30th June 2012, 00:07   #433
BHPian

Cancelled with Garuda motors, they seem to be just too laid back. Also, the car they brought to show us had ribbons and balloons, so possible that is a delivery car. Not comfortable with that attitude.

Booked it through Bimal. They promptly processed everything. Car is also arranged.
Old 31st July 2012, 08:36   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a used A Star AT today with 20k on the odo (Nov 2010 vintage). Couple of issues I noticed in the test drive:

1. On engaging reverse and releasing the brakes very slowly, there's a pronounced judder from the brake pedal, so much so that the car vibrates a bit. Did not feel this on the test drives I took with dealers for a new one.

2. The gear shifts are extremely notchy, especially between P and R. This was not the case in my other test drives too.

What do you guys think? Stay away from the car?
Old 31st July 2012, 16:57   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

1. On engaging reverse and releasing the brakes very slowly, there's a pronounced judder from the brake pedal, so much so that the car vibrates a bit. Did not feel this on the test drives I took with dealers for a new one.
I dont see it in (my now 1 year old) A*AT. Definitely something that the car must have picked up along the way. Check if there is a history of an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

2. The gear shifts are extremely notchy, especially between P and R. This was not the case in my other test drives too.
I dont understand what you mean by "notchy"? Do you mean there is a "jerk"? I face it too in my car (if its reving more than an idle) and I suspect is normal. Perhaps if you explain this feeling a bit more we can help.

All said an done, I love my A*AT and so does my wife. She no longer allows me to use it for my office commute as she needs it. However, all our weekend drives are now only in this car. Its simply great in the city and no hassle driving is a pleasure.
ash_blore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed