Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:17   #451
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

I do not see pricing info for A-star on maruti's website. It is not even available on A-star website http://marutisuzukiastar.com/

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-astar.jpg

I bought A-star automatic last week. Just wanted to confirm the prices on website and they are not available
neon_daytona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013, 13:11   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
I bought A-star automatic last week.
Congrats on your ride! Hope you enjoy the hassle-free city driving.
Is the new Aktiv variant available in AT? I was particularly interested in the rear parcel tray. I have an after-market one and the fit is not perfect, hence looking to source an MGP/MGA.
BTW, I hit the Thanks button while trying to reply to your post. Duh.
Old 2nd January 2013, 13:28   #453
BHPian

Thanks,
I had booked mine before the Aktiv variant was announced. Anyway I would not have gone for those graphics (personal choice). I had also asked for rear parcel tray. But was not available in stock on delivery day.

The dealer did not have a proper size dickey mat for A-star. As of now they have put a mat from WagonR and was promised it will be replaced in 3 days. Its already 2 weeks and no sign of the mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
Congrats on your ride! Hope you enjoy the hassle-free city driving.
Is the new Aktiv variant available in AT? I was particularly interested in the rear parcel tray. I have an after-market one and the fit is not perfect, hence looking to source an MGP/MGA.
BTW, I hit the Thanks button while trying to reply to your post. Duh.
Old 4th March 2013, 14:18   #454
BHPian

Sorry for the cross posting, I've already posted this in an ownership thread:

Quote:
what are the D-3, 2 and L modes of drive here? I understand that the "2" mode is for crawling traffic and the gearbox shifts between 1st and 2nd gear only. The A star is 4 speed AT right? So shouldn't it be D-4 instead of D-3? Also, the sales guys say L is for climbing? What's the L mode for?
Old 4th March 2013, 18:24   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
D - using all 4 gears
D3 - using the 3 lower gears, in effect not using the overdrive
2 - only 1&2 gears would be used
L - in effect, only using the 1st gear - can be used for steep climbs.
Old 4th March 2013, 20:17   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
The D mode handles most traffic/terrain conditions. You don't have to shift to D3 or 2 in crawling traffic. I've also climbed up a hill using only the D mode and it worked fine. Accelerator input works similar to shifting to D3 or 2. Push the accelerator pedal harder to force a downshift.
2 and L are useful while going downhill, as you need engine braking.
Old 14th April 2013, 22:26   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Well my opinion is not changing. I wouldn't drive my A* anywhere near the limit. Actually I wouldnt drive any car close to its limit. This is purely based on safety aspect and nothing else in mind.
I have started regularly using A Star AT for highway driving. Few months back I did a trip of approx 2700 kms from Bangalore to interior MH over a variety of roads. Just today I came back from a 600 kms trip. Here is my assessment.

Dry 4 Lane: Te car just hugs the road. You can change the lane at your wish with no body roll, things I cannot imagine in my safari.

Wet 4 Lane: I wouldn't drive it beyond 60-80 kmph. For te record, I ave driven the car for about 400 kms through cyclone and heavy rain in October. There is no stability issue, but if it is a puddle of water, I wouldn't take any light car even at 30kmp, I have bad experiences of hydroplanning in Nissan Sentra.

Dry 2 Lane on plains: Te car is great, handling is awesome, specially on twisting roads.

Dry 2 lane on inclines: If you are suddenly overtaking, you need to use kickdown. Sometimes there is a lag when you press the accelerator for kickdown, you may wish to manually shift to 3. But till now I have never shifted to 3 manually for overtaking. if you use kickdown, sometime te car sifts to even 2 and the pick up is great at higher rpms. For cruising, no issues.

Pot holed roads: I have driven through some of the really bad roads in MH. The car even nosedived into 1/2 ft craters wit both wheels, sometimes with 1 wheel when the crater suddenly appeared.

Is it comfortable? Yes, but not as much as say safari.

Does it loose traction or composure? Not at all. No body roll either.

Highest speed attained is 145 kmph and the car never felt out of breath. Steering feedback is nice but it does not weigh with speed.

Before we form any opinion, I suggest we need to use any car extensively or talk to the real owners.

Last edited by sumannandy : 14th April 2013 at 22:27.
Old 29th April 2013, 14:40   #458
BHPian

To all owners of astar Automatic, do you feel the brake pedal to be little high?
I have had ankle issue from my childhood restricting its movement, I am worried if this high brake pedal will be a concern after my purchase.

My earlier cars were maruti esteem, baleno & I never found the position of brake pedal to be so uncomfortable.

I plan to pick the caffeine color.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:52   #459
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yes, I felt the B-pedal to be a little high in the A-Star. I believe in most cars the B-pedal is a bit higher than the A-pedal - possibly in A-Star it is a wee bit more higher.

Not sure if it can be adjusted a bit down ? Maybe you could work around this by moving the seat as back as possible, depending on your height.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:04   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^Yes, I felt the B-pedal to be a little high in the A-Star. I believe in most cars the B-pedal is a bit higher than the A-pedal - possibly in A-Star it is a wee bit more higher.

Not sure if it can be adjusted a bit down ? Maybe you could work around this by moving the seat as back as possible, depending on your height.
I am going to Pratham Motors today to check if this height can be adjusted, sadly this will be a deal breaker if it cannot be adjusted as I have sold off my baleno and want to use this car as my primary vehicle.
Old 30th April 2013, 11:34   #461
Senior - BHPian

Apart from adjusting the horizontal travel of the seat, also try optimizing the seating using the seat-height adjuster on the A-Star-AT to see if you arrive at a seating combo that does not affect your ankles.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 17:05   #462
Senior - BHPian

@Mr_Bean, how did the TD go, as far as the height of B-pedal is concerned ? Was it too high for comfort and is there any possibility of the height being reduced ?

While driving the A*-AT at Kerala last weekend, I was reminded of this and checked the pedal height - the B-pedal is indeed a bit higher than the A-pedal, but I guess that is how the placement is for all cars, atleast that is how it is on our Baleno and Swift.
Old 7th May 2013, 19:46   #463
BHPian

Mr Bean, my wife just bought an a-star AT and i drove it today. It did take a few minutes to adjust to the brake pedal, although i realized it was not really due to the height, rather, it is a bit more centred and away from the accelerator than in my manual Alto.

A pleasant surprise was the presence of a USB port next to the accessory socket!! The port wasn't available in the showroom models (both ZXi and AT) and instead had a dummy plastic cover. Now i've got the ipod connected to the stereo and playing away happily.
Old 23rd May 2013, 22:08   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
A pleasant surprise was the presence of a USB port next to the accessory socket!!
That's nice. If possible, can you please post some pics of the HU? I had to change my HU and get one that supports USB.

Question to other A-star owners: has anyone tried installing after-market ORVMs? The stock ORVMs are a joke and a serious safety hazard.
Old 26th May 2013, 23:37   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
Mr Bean, my wife just bought an a-star AT and i drove it today. It did take a few minutes to adjust to the brake pedal, although i realized it was not really due to the height, rather, it is a bit more centred and away from the accelerator than in my manual Alto.

A pleasant surprise was the presence of a USB port next to the accessory socket!! The port wasn't available in the showroom models (both ZXi and AT) and instead had a dummy plastic cover. Now i've got the ipod connected to the stereo and playing away happily.
My HU Came with the dummy plastic cover but fought it out with the showroom fellas and got the HU from the TD car to relpace the one in mine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks