Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 11:27   #466
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Posting my experience with Maruti customer service:
I got duped by the dealer (Garuda motors, Sankey road) when I got fog lamps fitted by them when I bought the car. When one of the bulbs went off recently, I realized they weren't MGA ones. I shot off an email to Maruti (contact@maruti.co.in) and I got a response within a day. They got in touch with the dealer and instructed him to replace the fog lamps. The entire kit has been replaced now. I'm a happy camper within a span of 4-5 days. Kudos to Maruti for their prompt action
Lesson learned: make sure the accessories fitted are genuine, even if they are fitted by an authorized dealer.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:57   #467
BHPian

I too joined the astar auto bandwagon and got the car for my parents few days back. The car is an absolute breeze to drive. As usual the dealer had filled the tyres with wrong pressure (40 and 50 psi! ) and it was jumping around for the first day.

The front suspension makes a creaking noise every now and then. Guess it needs a bit of greasing. Apart from that no complaints. Hoping it stays that way.

P.S: Thanks to neon_daytona for answering my query and this forum for posting your experiences.
Old 16th June 2013, 23:09   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
Mr Bean, my wife just bought an a-star AT and i drove it today. It did take a few minutes to adjust to the brake pedal, although i realized it was not really due to the height, rather, it is a bit more centred and away from the accelerator than in my manual Alto.

A pleasant surprise was the presence of a USB port next to the accessory socket!! The port wasn't available in the showroom models (both ZXi and AT) and instead had a dummy plastic cover. Now i've got the ipod connected to the stereo and playing away happily.
I had seen the USB socket in manual pdf of new A-star and called up my dealer to check but those numb heads said that it was not present. They gave me the number of Nippon agent.

Can you tel me a few things:
  • Is the stereo Nippon(NCR)?
  • Does the aux in work properly?
  • Can you tell me the part number of your stereo?

Anyone else in the know about the stereo thing, can you please tell me:
Will it be possible to get the USB socket of this new stereo affixed to the 2012 a-star at stereo? If yes how much do you expect it to cost?
Will it be necessary to replace the stereo to get the USB port? If yes how much can that be expected to cost? Will there be any cost reduction if I trade in my current stereo to MGA?

I do not want to go for non integrated stereo (not even MGA) because looks are an absolute no compromise area!

@Mr_Bean Yes the brake pedal is higher, it is generally to reduce the time you need to reach the pedal and also you can use the seat height adjuster to achieve correct ergonomics.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:13   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
Will it be necessary to replace the stereo to get the USB port?
I do not want to go for non integrated stereo (not even MGA) because looks are an absolute no compromise area!
Yes, you would have to change the HU to get USB functionality.
You can install a "finisher" so that looks are not affected. I changed my OEM HU and got something with USB connectivity. This is without a CD player. I don't care about CDs as all my music is on USB drives. BTW, can you spot the USB drive? It's the Sandisk Cruzer Fit and it fits almost flush with the HU. Pretty cool

Cost: 3k for the HU + ~800 for the finisher. The HU's even got red back-lighting to match the car's!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-astar_hu.jpg  

ozzyrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 16:11   #470
BHPian

No no, this is a pioneer HU, I do not want to change the HU in terms of manufacturer. The OEM HU in A-star now comes with USB port next to the ciggarette lighter, as chaotic must have got. Changing the HU like you did is not my preference! When i said I can replace the HU I would still have replaced it with a OEM HU from Maruti instead of getting a pioneer like you did.

As I said earlier,"I do not want to go for non integrated stereo (not even MGA) because looks are an absolute no compromise area!"

So I can replace my current OEM HU with a new OEM HU with USB port.
Old 17th June 2013, 19:42   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
Cost: ~800 for the finisher.
Looks well done. Is this finisher available in the Maruti Showroom / Workshop or is it aftermarket?
Old 17th June 2013, 19:53   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Looks well done. Is this finisher available in the Maruti Showroom / Workshop or is it aftermarket?
I got it at Reliance Autozone (Basaveshwarnagar branch, Bangalore). I had to wait couple of weeks for the guy to source it. Since the A-star is not a very popular car, getting the right accessories is tedious and time-consuming.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:32   #473
BHPian

I have a Vxi, the only reason i have not changed the HU was the aesthetics. Now that i have seen yours, its time for an upgrade. Will try sourcing it.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:58   #474
Senior - BHPian

I bought an A-Star Automatic three weeks back and I must say the USB port is a boon and a great value add feature.
Old 18th June 2013, 13:44   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I bought an A-Star Automatic three weeks back and I must say the USB port is a boon and a great value add feature.
Hey,

Could you tell me what price you got it at in Chennai? I might be in the market soon. What was your dealership experience like and were there any waiting periods? Discounts?
Old 18th June 2013, 13:51   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hey,

Could you tell me what price you got it at in Chennai? I might be in the market soon. What was your dealership experience like and were there any waiting periods? Discounts?
The on-road price was 5.12 lacs which included a cash discount of 25k. I got the car through the company lease program. The dealer experience was the worst I could have ever had in my life and I would encourage anyone to stay away from Khivraj Motors Chennai.

Waiting period was not bad. I did have to wait because of the time taken in completing official formalities. On discounts - got 2K worth of accessories free and also floor mats and mud flaps free apart from that.

Hope this helps.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 14:08   #477
Senior - BHPian

^^^What color is your car, rr_zen ? And which part of the dealer experience was bad at Khivraj ?

BTW, I spotted 2 new AStar-ATs today morning @ MadhyaKailash around ~8:45AM, with one in the new Caffeine brown color. Other was grey IIRC. ATs seem to be getting popular - pity there isn't enough choice.
Old 18th June 2013, 14:29   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^What color is your car, rr_zen ? And which part of the dealer experience was bad at Khivraj ?

BTW, I spotted 2 new AStar-ATs today morning @ MadhyaKailash around ~8:45AM, with one in the new Caffeine brown color. Other was grey IIRC. ATs seem to be getting popular - pity there isn't enough choice.
Mine is Glistening Grey. Got it for wifey. Actually was eyeing the Brio AT since November 2012 when it was launched but since production was stalled I opted for the A-Star A/T.

As far as the dealership experience goes, I would say everything right from the time the quote was received till the time the vehicle was delivered was bad, in fact pathetic. Will put up a new thread on my buy soon. Having said that, I must say the car is a gem and I must admit I grossly understimated it.
Old 23rd July 2013, 06:49   #479
BHPian

Please install Maruti bluetooth accessory. It connects through a LAN port or similar port with no visible wires, and it transforms your stereo to a complete auto bluetooth one, with no Aux cable or switching.

22000 kms in 13 months and counting
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:50   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
You can install a "finisher" so that looks are not affected.
That looks very nice indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Please install Maruti bluetooth accessory. It connects through a LAN port or similar port with no visible wires, and it transforms your stereo to a complete auto bluetooth one, with no Aux cable or switching.
How much did you spend on the bluetooth kit? I thought it had a wire which ran inside the A pillar cladding. Can you please post a picture?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks