Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2015, 20:44   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Thanks, guys.

11.5 kmpl with a/c @ first check city drive. Fuel was from Shell.

I am topping up to the brim. So with two bars left, it takes about 28 litres to the brim.

Replaced stock horns with Hella black pearl, from Sachin's at Koramangala. Had taken Roots Spider Eco on friday, but they were faulty. He replaced the same today.

One thing I urgently need to check out is the lighting. It's inadequate. My car doesnt have fog lamps, though I believe that VXi / AT should have it too.
Old 15th June 2015, 06:25   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

One thing I urgently need to check out is the lighting. It's inadequate. My car doesnt have fog lamps, though I believe that VXi / AT should have it too.
You could upgrade your headlamps for more light and better throw- I've replaced the stock low beam bulbs with Osram Night Breaker Unlimited and am very happy with the results. And no, Maruti doesn't put in fog lamps as standard on Vxi AT- I had got them fitted while taking delivery.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 12:33   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Replaced stock horns with Hella black pearl, from Sachin's at Koramangala. Had taken Roots Spider Eco on friday, but they were faulty. He replaced the same today.

Vxi does not come with fog lamps.

I upgraded my bulbs to 90/100 at the Sachin's, they did a neat job. I purchased fog lamps & minda trumpet horn from snapdeal, had them fixed at the same place. They had to remove the bumper for fixing the fog and it took 2 hours. The fog lamps (even the MGP ones) are purely for aesthetic purpose, difference is not noticeable. I purchased them for 550/- INR and it served my purpose look wise.

Upgrading to 90/100 will void the warranty if MASS go by the rules, but don't think they would nitpick such a thing, pratham motors at kudlu even offered to do the job at a nominal rate. I would be wary of such modifications if i had owned a Honda or VW.
Old 15th June 2015, 12:51   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

@Outdoorlover & @Mr Bean, thanks !
I had seen one other AT @ Pratham, which had fog lamps. Hence was under the impression that the AT would have it.

I dont want to do 90/100 since the reflectors go bad with time. Have experienced that with my prev vehicles. I dont think Warranty is applicable for our car

I am also thinking of removing that reflector thingy that is in side the headlamp ( see encircled part) & may be replace the bulbs.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-headlamp.jpg

Looks like I will have to think of other options for better lighting ? May be TML spares for the aux lighting ?

(the bumper itself can be removed in 5 min - 2 nuts, 2 screws & 2 pop-up holders).
Old 16th June 2015, 15:32   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried to remove the bulb, but not able to figure out how to remove the rubber seal. Help, please !

2) MASS guys have applied grease to the holder ! This is a first for me. Any thoughts / comments ?

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-bulbpins1.jpg

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-connector.jpg
Old 14th July 2015, 22:48   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

FE has been dropping:

11.5 kmpl - Shell
10.75 - Indian Oil
10.53 - Shell

City driving with 100% A/c, with some driving on the ring road / Tumkur elevated road upto 90-100 kmph.

I feel it is a little low .. any thoughts ?
Old 14th July 2015, 23:30   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2) MASS guys have applied grease to the holder ! This is a first for me. Any thoughts / comments ?
Yes, they often put grease or oil to prevent loss of contact due to rusting. My 800 had this problem where the bulbs stopped working intermittently. The points in my case had developed a bit of rust/carbon. MASS put some oil and no such problems ever since.

Quote:
FE has been dropping:

11.5 kmpl - Shell
10.75 - Indian Oil
10.53 - Shell

City driving with 100% A/c, with some driving on the ring road / Tumkur elevated road upto 90-100 kmph.

I feel it is a little low .. any thoughts ?
For a torque converter AT, they are pretty good for City driving with AC.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 23:35   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
For a torque converter AT, they are pretty good for City driving with AC.
Thanks, Shashi. But a consistent drop isnt nice .. esp when driving has been steady. I am planning for a tyre upgrade to 175/65 R14, and such FE numbers can create doubts ..

Let me also check the pressure in the tyres tomorrow morning.
Old 15th July 2015, 00:22   #579
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks, Shashi. But a consistent drop isnt nice .. esp when driving has been steady. I am planning for a tyre upgrade to 175/65 R14, and such FE numbers can create doubts ..

Air filter? When was that changed? Do check the air pressures also. Should give you an idea.
Old 15th July 2015, 12:43   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If, as you say the drop in FE is steady, then check the following
1. Air filter. Clogged or wet filter reduces FE.
2. Throttle body. If it is black then it needs cleaning. Happens when most of your driving is B2B in the city.
3. Low tyre pressure, or worn out tyres. Both will decrease the FE.

After checking (and changing if necessary) the air filter, you can do one thing. Take the car to a highway and drive for around 100km (round trip) at around 90-100 km/h. If the drop in FE is due to B2B then a long spirited drive will clean up your engine. You can hear the difference in engine sound after 50km. At the end of 100km, the response to the throttle will also be crisper. Do not worry about the fuel wasted. That 100km run will increase your FE drastically so in a way the ride will be free.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 13:42   #581
Senior - BHPian

My A-Star AT has completed 2 years last month and odo is at 8.5K. The best FE I have managed to eke out of the car is so for 10.5 kmpl. While both my wife and I are sedate drivers and don't push the car much, the poor FE figures were attributed to short trips being made everyday. However, I havent seen a great improvement in FE even on longer trips so I guess cant expect more from this car on the FE front. BTW, I fill at Shell most of the times and sometimes at BP.

The car was given for the annual service and while the engine was smooth post that, there was no improvement in the FE.
Old 15th July 2015, 16:37   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, guys.

The tyre pressures vary between 29-31. Tyres are ok - not worn out.

Driving is steady for city. The elevated section on Tumkur road is where I have done a few 90kmph runs, just to try & clear up any thing that could be cleared with that. But yes, I need to check with correct pressure in the tyres.

The air-filter should be good, because the car was serviced about 1000 km ago. I will check the filter again. The TB - will be later, if basic stuff doesnt work.
Old 29th August 2015, 10:03   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Help pls:

1) How to change a headlamp bulb ?
I am not able to figure out how to remove the rubber seal

2) How to re-align the headlamp ? The left one is out of focus & is looking leftwards.
Old 6th September 2015, 11:26   #584
BHPian

Condor, you can pry back the rubber seal with the help of large flat faced screw driver (not the Philips ones). I read the A Star instruction manual to change my bulbs to Osram NB Unlimited and didn't have much of a challenge in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
My A-Star AT has completed 2 years last month and odo is at 8.5K. The best FE I have managed to eke out of the car is so for 10.5 kmpl. While both my wife and I are sedate drivers and don't push the car much, the poor FE figures were attributed to short trips being made everyday. However, I havent seen a great improvement in FE even on longer trips so I guess cant expect more from this car on the FE front. BTW, I fill at Shell most of the times and sometimes at BP.

The car was given for the annual service and while the engine was smooth post that, there was no improvement in the FE.

Zen, are you on the standard lube oil or the synthetic one? I saw a lot of smoothness come in after I changed the lube to synthetic in my first year service. My A Star AT will complete 2 years come November end when I intend going for synthetic again. Changing the air filter also helps in improving fuel efficiency, though people are sometimes reluctant to change it.

Last edited by ampere : 6th September 2015 at 12:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 6th September 2015, 11:59   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Condor, you can pry back the rubber seal with the help of large flat faced screw driver (not the Philips ones).
I had checked the manual ..
There is no space there to use a screw-driver. Or anything in that rubber piece to help grip to do a twist & pull. At least I am not able to find anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks