Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2016, 17:26   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

I did one round of cleaning of the plugs. There is a slight improvement in response. FE yet to be checked. Been 17+ years since I touched a plug, and may have not done a good job. Will open it up again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I think at high temperature, the AC would be continuously working and there is never a question of ac compressor cutoff (22 c temp). I have very limited knowledge on this.
When a car has only a/c, it will just run at set levels and net cooling will depend on ambient temperature. Load / FE loss due to A/c will be steady.

It is only when the car has climate control, that the load due to a/c will vary.
Old 20th May 2016, 20:35   #617
BHPian

Friends - Looking for A Star USed car. Any contacts would be helpful.
Old 4th December 2016, 23:30   #618
BHPian

Hi,
Yesterday my sister's A - star got serviced and engine oil was charged 1600(2.9L) while last service it was around 850.Was there any circular regarding grade of oil change for k series engine?
Old 5th December 2016, 18:24   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
Hi,
Yesterday my sister's A - star got serviced and engine oil was charged 1600(2.9L) while last service it was around 850.Was there any circular regarding grade of oil change for k series engine?
My bill for oil change was always around Rs. 1500 for the last 3 years. The SA had mentioned that Maruti is recommending the use of synthetic oil and hence the cost is so.
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 23:18   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
.Was there any circular regarding grade of oil change for k series engine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
The SA had mentioned that Maruti is recommending the use of synthetic oil and hence the cost is so.
Both cases are examples of MASS pulling off an unnecessary sale of Synth oil. How did an engine which was manufactured 4 years ago, and running on mineral oil all along, suddenly require synth oil - that too for our weather conditions ?

Gentle reminder - insist on regular oil at the time of handing over the car for servicing - make SA write it down on the JC.
Old 6th December 2016, 12:19   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Both cases are examples of MASS pulling off an unnecessary sale of Synth oil. How did an engine which was manufactured 4 years ago, and running on mineral oil all along, suddenly require synth oil - that too for our weather conditions ?

Gentle reminder - insist on regular oil at the time of handing over the car for servicing - make SA write it down on the JC.
May not be exactly correct.

Here's the thread which discusses Maruti circular on Engine oil change.
Swift Engine oil type change thread

Though it is for DDis engine, the same period (2012) is when Maruti had changed the recommendation to 5W-30 for K10 series engines.
The SA had communicated the same to me during my car service.

Another thread, from carwale, discussing the same:
Engine Oil for Maruti cars

Last edited by dheepak10 : 6th December 2016 at 12:24. Reason: More info added
Old 6th December 2016, 13:33   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
May not be exactly correct.

Here's the thread which discusses Maruti circular on Engine oil change.
Swift Engine oil type change thread

Though it is for DDis engine, ..
That circular is for the DDiS engine. As mentioned in the circular mentioned in that post : Maruti Swift Engine Oil Change Circular[1].pdf

Even with the 5W-40 mentioned in the circular, it does not have to be Synthetic. Semi-Synthetic is available at less than 700 per liter.

5W30 is still available at about Rs 300 per liter. So 3 liters will not cost that much as mentioned in the posts above.

For our conditions, we just do not Need synthetic oil. This topic has been discussed enough on TBHP & otherwise too.
Old 6th December 2016, 13:59   #623
BHPian

@Esu_Junior : What grade of oil was used?

During my recent service the engine oil was changed to 0W20 synth oil from shell at Benaka motors for a total of < 1200 for the oil. Apparently there is a circular for oil change in K-Series engines.
I called Suraksha and checked, they re-iterated the same.

I however am of the opinion that this is meant only for the 1.2K and not the 1.0K.
Old 16th January 2017, 09:59   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
@Esu_Junior : What grade of oil was used?

During my recent service the engine oil was changed to 0W20 synth oil from shell at Benaka motors for a total of < 1200 for the oil. Apparently there is a circular for oil change in K-Series engines.
I called Suraksha and checked, they re-iterated the same.

I however am of the opinion that this is meant only for the 1.2K and not the 1.0K.
If you have paid a total of less than 1200 for the oil, then you have not got synthetic. Synthetic oil costs about 800-900 per liter.

This is also discussed in the other thread. The change in grade looks to be for vehicles from 2014/later. Fellow member @avi55om got 5W30 mineral oil. and I too think this is sufficient

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4125205
Old 5th June 2017, 08:27   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who think that the head-lamps are bulbous and large:

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-2014marutiastar7.jpg
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 10:19   #626
BANNED

My friend's A-Star manual has some problem with the steering wheel. It seems like the steering wheel is sticking to the turned position once we turn the steering to either right or left. Need a bit of an effort to start turn it back to the normal position. Any idea what could be the problem?
Old 5th June 2017, 11:48   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
My friend's A-Star manual has some problem with the steering wheel. It seems like the steering wheel is sticking to the turned position once we turn the steering to either right or left. Need a bit of an effort to start turn it back to the normal position. Any idea what could be the problem?
Looks like faulty Tie-Rod-Ends, but please check the steering lock too.
Old 10th July 2017, 12:24   #628
BHPian

Got the wife an A-star automatic about a month back.
Found one on Cartrade. 2012 December model and registered in January 2013. Car had done around 32000 km and owner was quoting 3.35L.
Bargain starts and finally got him down to 2.5L, agreeing that I shall renew the insurance, since that had expired.

Car was neat with just a few scratches on the left side, two of them being quite deep, but no dents to the body. Tyre had around another 5000 km of life in them, but were more than 4.5 years old. Service history with MASS, and the last one was done on 26.10.2016 at 30961 km, recommending that the battery, link rod, wiper and mudflap has to be replaced.

Mudflap has been done, and yet to change the battery and the wipers.

After getting hold of the car, took it for inspection to Speed Motors, Adyar, where Salim, the owner 'approved' that it was a good deal. Left the car with him for a detailed check up, an exterior polishing and an interior cleaning.

After this took the car straight to the tyre shop. Upgrade all 4 tyres to Yoko Earth 1, 175/65 on R14 rims. (I bought 5 rims for Rs 3500/ from a guy off OLX, who had replaced all his Wagon R rims with alloys). I then placed the 5 old tyres with the rims on OLX for sale. Got Rs 3000/ for that. Changed the OE horns to Bosch symphony, fixed up two JBL speakers on the rear doors. And then finally on day 3 after getting the car, took it home for the wife. All spruced up and neat.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-astar-img_2108.jpg

The Final product after the polishing and the tyre upgrade.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-40k-service.jpg

The service done at 30961 km. (40K PMS)

Next on mind -
Battery replacement, wiper replacement and IVRM replacement with Wagon R manual dimming type.

Few questions -
After the last fueling (auto cut off to auto cut off at the same pump, same nozzle) , I calculated at FE of 8.8 kmpl, in Chennai b2b traffic, which I feel is on the lower side after reading the FE of other owners here. Planning to get the air filter and the fuel filter replaced this weekend.
Is there anything else ? Should I get the throttle body cleaned ? Has any one done this ?

Link rod renewal was suggested in the last service. Is this the 'tie rod' ?

The 40k servicing states that the 'Brake Master Cylinder Assembly' to be renewed. Has any one got this done ?

Has anyone changed the OVRMs to bigger one ? The OE mirror is way too small.

Has anyone replaced the whip radio antenna with a shark fin ? I need to do this, since the whip antenna fouls with the car cover, not a big deal, but would like to avoid this.
Old 10th July 2017, 18:52   #629
Senior - BHPian

B2B FE of my Alto K10 MTvaries between 12 and 8 km/l, so 8.8 is not bad. In case the car has been driven only short distance, then carbon could be deposited inside the engines which affect the FE. Just take the car for a long drive on a highway, and do a 50+50km trip at 80+ and FE will increase a lot.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 23:15   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Got the wife an A-star automatic about a month back.
Congratulations

My AT brought in 2013 has run 37000 kms. I paid 8990/- INR for my 40k service done today, will attach the bill tomorrow for your reference.

1. 9 kmpl is a decent mileage in peak traffic, Is this with AC on?. I have seen 8 kmpl in crazy bangalore city traffic, while my highway runs at speeds of 100-110 km/hr has given me 19 kmpl.

2. Throttle body cleaning is not mentioned in the manual for 40k service, but i insisted on this to be cleaned, see a perceivable difference.

3. ORVM - I wanted the one from Ritz, but MASS technician confirmed its not a direct fit.

4. Not sure about the link rod part. I had my caliper pin changed & greased during this service, rest all parts have been touch-wood. Caliper pin is the biggest weakness of this car, resulting in irritating khat khat sound over patchy roads. I've lost track of the money & time I spent on caliper pin greasing on my car.

5. "Brake Master Cylinder Assembly" change is premature, but these are the risks associated with pre-owned cars. Spare parts cost of a-star is very reasonable.

6. Air filter to be changed on a yearly basis. Fuel filter I think every 40k kms.

7. Get AC cabin filter fixed/replaced, a must for this car.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
Vinod

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 10th July 2017 at 23:25. Reason: edit
Mr_Bean is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed