Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 11:30   #46
BHPian

Overpriced with no compelling differentiator !

Picture this :

Space i10 >> AStar
Build i10 >> AStar
Looks i10 > AStar
Mileage AStar > i10 (not much difference here)
Bootspace i10 >>> AStar

Now , with current discounts on offer ( in NCR)

i10 Magna Auto (ex showroom 4.51 L) ----> 4.3 L

A-Star Auto - 4.38 L ( no discounts currently)

The only differentiator here is ABS, but at city speeds ( < 40-50), there will be no perceptible lock-up issues.
Fun to drive is negated as the target audience (WAG, novices,young execs looking for hassle free drive to office) will not utilise this.
The i10 interiors are a WAAYY better place to be in, better build, more space, gives a feeling of luxury none of the micros can match and this matters a lot to the WAG's

There needs to be a difference of at least 50k between A-Star Auto and i10 Magna Auto for it to start making sense for the general public.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Would be good if someone could properly do a comparo of the AT versions of i10 and A*.

@JishD, I agree with the space and bootspace part in your asessment - the i10 does fare better than A* in these departments. But to say that one of them is better than the other in looks is without basis - both are ugly. And I am not sure how you arrived at the build being better. Actual user FE for A* is yet to come in, but i10_AT's FE figures are pretty low - single digits.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Picture this :
Space i10 >> AStar
Build i10 >> AStar
Looks i10 > AStar
Mileage AStar > i10 (not much difference here)
Bootspace i10 >>> AStar
Regarding interior and bootspace, the i10 wins. No question.

Build: Not sure what basis you're making that claim on

Looks: Subjective and definitely not a foregone conclusion. I find the A Star far better looking than the characterless i10

And what of factors like the ride and handling?

Quote:
The only differentiator here is ABS, but at city speeds ( < 40-50), there will be no perceptible lock-up issues.
Oh dear..

Quote:
Fun to drive is negated as the target audience (WAG, novices,young execs looking for hassle free drive to office) will not utilise this.
Some people do have a life, you know?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 17th August 2010 at 13:59.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 14:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the nice review, Ajmat. Finally, something other than i10 AT to choose from for the public.

As far as the comparison between i10 AT with A* AT goes, both have their pro's and con's. But i think, when it comes to the AC, i10 has a better one. And if Ajmat says A* has pretty decent handling, then i10 is the loser here.

I also agree with vnabhi that a coupe would have been great.

So, what price did TBHP recommend?
Old 17th August 2010, 14:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

the gearshift seems similar to the one used in SX4. I am quite impressed with the mileage figures as reported by Ajmat.

This will give one competition from Maruti to i10, what about i20 ? what about other cars ? Maruti, come on bring AT on Swift/Ritz soon.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@JishD, I agree with the space and bootspace part in your asessment - the i10 does fare better than A* in these departments. But to say that one of them is better than the other in looks is without basis - both are ugly. And I am not sure how you arrived at the build being better. Actual user FE for A* is yet to come in, but i10_AT's FE figures are pretty low - single digits.
Well I personally own an i10 and find Astar to be more 'sporty' looking.
And please, for the n-th time I am repeating this on this forum - i10 AT even if driven VERY VERY lamely gives FE of 10 kmpl minimum. I get an FE of 12.5-14 kmpl in 60-40 city/highway , and have clocked more than 10000 km in the last year with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I find the A Star far better looking than the characterless i10
May I ask what warrants a strong remark like 'characterless' for a succesful car like i10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And if Ajmat says A* has pretty decent handling, then i10 is the loser here.
i10 only loses out due puny tires. Upgraded tires makes it a potent handler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
the gearshift seems similar to the one used in SX4. I am quite impressed with the mileage figures as reported by Ajmat.

This will give one competition from Maruti to i10, what about i20 ? what about other cars ? Maruti, come on bring AT on Swift/Ritz soon.
Please!
+100000 to that

Last edited by blackasta : 17th August 2010 at 14:34.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
i10 only loses out due puny tires. Upgraded tires makes it a potent handler.
True, but lets not go aftermarket here. Wont be a fair comparison and it will further add to the cost for the owner as well.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
True, but lets not go aftermarket here. Wont be a fair comparison and it will further add to the cost for the owner as well.
Agreed - the low slung model of the Astar makes it a capable handler while tall boy model of i10 only adds to its woes.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta
Well I personally own an i10 and find Astar to be more 'sporty' looking.
To each his own. While I find the rear of both cars to be good, the front is screwed up for both cars (the oddly-shaped headlights for A* and pursed-lips look for i10) - no offence to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta
And please, for the n-th time I am repeating this on this forum - i10 AT even if driven VERY VERY lamely gives FE of 10 kmpl minimum. I get an FE of 12.5-14 kmpl in 60-40 city/highway , and have clocked more than 10000 km in the last year with this.
My reference was a colleague who has an i10-AT in Blore and gets 8kmpl or less. Your FE figures seem decent though.
Old 17th August 2010, 15:18   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsport View Post
I'm willing to bet the Nano has a much roomier interior.
it does, for sure. fits 6+6 like nobody' business.

@ajmat:
Old 17th August 2010, 16:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
May I ask what warrants a strong remark like 'characterless' for a succesful car like i10?
My apologies. Perhaps boring is more appropriate.

As I mentioned, its strictly my opinion on the looks. Not a statement of fact in any way.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
My apologies. Perhaps boring is more appropriate.

As I mentioned, its strictly my opinion on the looks. Not a statement of fact in any way.
Boring, bland, unexciting - yes.
I too think that i10 is not going to win any design contest, neither did I buy the car based on its chubby looks.
But it ticked all the right boxes that were set by me for getting a car - and no other manufactrer except Hyundai offered that (An AT hatch under 6 lakhs with ABS+Airbags). That is why I praise Hyundai and i10.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

No vanity mirrors ... How can a big company like Maruti miss this? Its such a small thing compared to the car. I dont think it will cost more than 100 Rs to add that. Such a shame ...
Old 17th August 2010, 17:46   #59
BHPian

Shift lock button

Hi,
I own a SX4 automatic. The 'box also features this 'Shift Lock' button as shown in the AStar automatic as well.
By design, the lever will not shift through the gates when the engine is switched off. The Shift Lock is for emergencies. One can hold that and move the lever through the gates if ever required.

Regards,
Vignesh
vigneshg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 17:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Great report Ajmat! Finally the 'affordable AT' scene has taken another giant step.

Although it loses out to the i-10 in some key areas like grunt and backseat, the A-star makes a pretty damn good 2nd car for the family esp the ladies who look for something compact, cheeky looks, affordable, good FE, strong/safe build and hassle free ownership.

A-star checks all boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
My reference was a colleague who has an i10-AT in Blore and gets 8kmpl or less. Your FE figures seem decent though.
Must be in B-B traffic.

BTW, what are the ARAI figs for the i-10 AT? 17 for the Astar is pretty good. I think this will be the USP for the A-star.

Last edited by Mpower : 18th August 2010 at 00:29.

Most Viewed