Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2017, 00:05   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Congrats !

Nice deal there, and good you went for the 175's. This car really needs it, and not the stock 155's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
... fixed up two JBL speakers on the rear doors.
I think the rear also has speakers ?

Quote:
.. IVRM replacement with Wagon R manual dimming type.
Do let us know once you do this. I have been thinking of one myself.

Quote:
.. the whip antenna fouls with the car cover, ... .
Just put the antenna flat. It will still catch the signals.

8.8 kmpl is fine. I am using System-G, and have a small increase in FE. Currently at about 10 with A/c in Bangalore's traffic.

Do check the tyre pressures. Vary it a bit to see if the FE improves.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 12:22   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Congratulations
Thanx Vinod.

Quote:
will attach the bill tomorrow for your reference.

9 kmpl is a decent mileage in peak traffic, Is this with AC on?. I have seen 8 kmpl in crazy bangalore city traffic, while my highway runs at speeds of 100-110 km/hr has given me 19 kmpl.
The car is always with the AC on, and I have noticed that fan speed setting in 1 is not enough. Always have to use speed setting position 2.
Appreciate the 40 K bill as reference. Would then be able to compare what has been done, and what not.

Quote:
Throttle body cleaning is not mentioned in the manual for 40k service, but i insisted on this to be cleaned, see a perceivable difference.
Throttle body cleaning is not mentioned in the service schedule at all, if I recall correctly. Watched a few videos on Youtube, and saw the amount of carbon deposited inside the throttle body, behind the flaps, so thought getting that cleaned should improve the power and FE.

Quote:
6. Air filter to be changed on a yearly basis. Fuel filter I think every 40k kms.

7. Get AC cabin filter fixed/replaced, a must for this car.
Will get these done this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Congrats !

Nice deal there, and good you went for the 175's.
Thanx Condor.
It was your post earlier in this thread that got rid of mine and the tyre guy's doubts about the 175 wide tyres scraping the walls.

Quote:
I think the rear also has speakers ?
Although the wiring was there, there were no speakers. So just had to remove the door trim, connect the speakers and screw them on. No additional wiring was required.

Quote:
Do let us know once you do this. I have been thinking of one myself.

Do check the tyre pressures. Vary it a bit to see if the FE improves.
Planning to take the car to the MASS this week, and shall update regarding the IRVM.

Normally I keep the tyre pressure between 30 to 32.
Old 12th July 2017, 17:47   #633
BHPian

I am enclosing the 40K service bill here.

Rgds,
Vinod
Attached Files
File Type: docx Maruti Astar AT 40K Service.docx (36.0 KB, 1905 views)
Mr_Bean is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 07:44   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Do let us know about the mirrors. I am having to angle the mirror upwards at an unusable angle these days, due to vehicles behind me with high-beam on.
Quote:
Although the wiring was there, there were no speakers.
Went & checked - my car does have the speakers, but the volume is quite low. Looking for a small Class-D amp.

Quote:
Normally I keep the tyre pressure between 30 to 32.
I am using 33.
Old 16th July 2017, 06:16   #635
BHPian

My windscreen wiper rubber has come off for my A-Star. Can someone recommend a link for good replacement wiper blades? Also, is it possible for me to replace them myself? I have gone through the user manual and it seems doable. Or should I take the car to the service center for replacing the wiper blades (knowing them though, they might charge a packet for labour).
Old 16th July 2017, 07:15   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
My windscreen wiper rubber has come off for my A-Star. Can someone recommend a link for good replacement wiper blades? Also, is it possible for me to replace them myself?
Pretty easy. There is a lever at the centre of the blade where it is held. You just need to:
lift the wiper arm
press this lever
pull down the blade.

to put in the new blades, align the blade and push it in.

Alternately, go to any FNG or most accessories shops. They would do it pretty much free. You can also pick up the blades from Tata or Mahindra service centres, and do it yourself.

Btw, which part of BLR are you in ? I may be able to suggest places
Old 16th July 2017, 07:22   #637
BHPian

Quote:

Btw, which part of BLR are you in ? I may be able to suggest places
I have shifted to Yelahanka. No idea which accessories stores are good. There is a 3M store here. Btw, what is an FNG store?

Last edited by avi550m : 16th July 2017 at 07:25.
Old 16th July 2017, 08:43   #638
BHPian

Quote:
My windscreen wiper rubber has come off for my A-Star. Can someone recommend a link for good replacement wiper blades? Also, is it possible for me to replace them myself? I have gone through the user manual and it seems doable. Or should I take the car to the service center for replacing the wiper blades (knowing them though, they might charge a packet for labour).

I had replaced my original wiper blades with Bosch Clear Advantage wiper blades. You can also order them online after checking the size from your owner's manual (don't remember the size as ot has been a few months now). As for fitment, it's not difficult- just search for "wiper blade replacement " videos on YouTube and you'll be on your way.

For those who have upgraded their tyres to 175, can you please confirm how is the handling and steering response- has it become a little tighter ? What other differences do you feel before and after driving a while after the upgrade?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th July 2017 at 16:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 09:42   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Do let us know about the mirrors. I am having to angle the mirror upwards at an unusable angle these days, due to vehicles behind me with high-beam on.
I am using a Day-Night Mirror from the 1st Gen Wagon R (F10 Engine one) on my A Star for the past few years. I fit one on the Alto too around 6 months back.

It costs Rs.700/-

The same mirror is a direct fit on Wagon R Gen 1, A Star, Alto (all versions) and Estilo. It comes along with the cabin lamp as a single unit. It's not usually available readily. Just give an order at your local MGP Store and you will get it within a week.

This is the part number and details.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_20170716_0935422.jpg

(I happened to have the box in which the mirror came lying around). And it's DIY stuff.

Take off the cabin lamp lens by pushing in slightly at the sides and pulling down. Unscrew both screws holding the IRVM in place. This will be little tight. The mirror will come free. Now disconnect the wire to the cabin lamp. Connect the wire to new mirror cabin lamp. Reverse the above procedures.

The ones on Swift /Ritz /Ertiga / New Gen Wagon R are all not a direct fit as it's an unit seperate from the cabin lamp. So they cost less too. Around Rs. 400/-

Here are a few pics to show where to apply pressure on the lens and the screws to be undone.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_20170716_1205062.jpg

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_20170716_1205162.jpg

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_20170716_1205392.jpg

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_20170716_120428.jpg

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_20170716_120410.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th July 2017 at 12:42.
Ramon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 15:58   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have shifted to Yelahanka. No idea which accessories stores are good. There is a 3M store here. Btw, what is an FNG store?
Like mentioned by outdoorlover, check the videos'. Even otherwise, this job is so simple that The car does not even have to go inside the service bay., and the MASS should not actually charge for it. If they do, ask the SA to remove the charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
For those who have upgraded their tyres to 175, can you please confirm how is the handling and steering response- has it become a little tighter ?
Just a little. But feels better. And it is less bouncier and little more stable with the 175's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
I am using a Day-Night Mirror from the 1st Gen Wagon R (F10 Engine one) on my A Star for the past few years.
Thanks, Ramon. That should be easy !
Old 16th July 2017, 21:20   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Just a little. But feels better. And it is less bouncier and little more stable with the 175's.

Thanks for all your feedback. Bought 5 new Celerio rims on OLX for Rs 1800 from someone who had upgraded to alloys, went straight to Tyre Empire and got Michelin XM2 175/65 R14 fixed. Preferred Michelin over Yokohama as the ride comfort on them are better and less bumpy. Have been using Michelin on my City too and have been quite happy with the low noise and comfort. The car movement feels surer after the upgrade.

Now have to hunt for new 14" wheel caps. Thanks to you guys for your feedback!
Old 19th July 2017, 13:58   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I am enclosing the 40K service bill here.

Rgds,
Vinod
Thanx Vinod.

Quote:
Got the mirror changed. MGP 84703M81A21-6GS, which is a direct replacement, was not available in quite a few Chennai MASS, although it is available on 'oriparts' for Rs 700/.
Got part 84703M75J12-V6N, (Rs 489/) which seems to be a common OEM mirror for Ertiga, Swift and DZire. This is not a direct fit onto the Astar.
The new mirror had to be removed from its own 'ball and socket' joint, by loosening the screw at the rear, and then fitted onto the original mount of the AStar and then the screw tightened.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-astar-mirror5.jpg
The mount of the new Swift mirror.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-astar-mirror1.jpg
The old mirror removed from the Astar mount. The screw is loosened and the old mirror taken off.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-astar-mirror3.jpg
The new day/night mirror fixed onto the Astars mount and the screw tightened.(as seen from inside the car)

Quote:
Went & checked - my car does have the speakers, but the volume is quite low. Looking for a small Class-D amp.
I guess you would have already checked the 'fader' settings, or could it be a loose/wrong connection at the rear speaker side?
When I toggle between front and rear speakers using the fader, I get the same volume from the front OEM speakers and the new JBL ones at the rear. No additional amp has been fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
I had replaced my original wiper blades with Bosch Clear Advantage wiper blades. You can also order them online after checking the size from your owner's manual (don't remember the size as ot has been a few months now). As for fitment, it's not difficult- just search for "wiper blade replacement " videos on YouTube and you'll be on your way.

For those who have upgraded their tyres to 175, can you please confirm how is the handling and steering response- has it become a little tighter ? What other differences do you feel before and after driving a while after the upgrade?
The wiper blade size for Astar is 21" (22" also fits) on the driver side and 14" on the passenger side. The frame less ones are now available in the 3M Car Care stores also, but price is on the higher side. The normal replacement ones from MASS costs Rs 430/

I got the tyres replaced almost immediately after buying the car, so I could not differentiate between the before and after. But even with 175 width, the steering is very very light. (I usually drive a TUV3OO)
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 22:05   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the way the A-Star responds to accelerator inputs. It seems to hold it's speed well. So currently trying a slightly different approach to driving it. Once desired speed is attained, I take my foot off the accelerator. And once in a way, give it a little gas, but each time it's foot off the pedal. Waiting to see effect on FE.
Old 25th July 2017, 17:01   #644
BHPian

Quote:

Throttle body cleaning is not mentioned in the service schedule at all, if I recall correctly. Watched a few videos on Youtube, and saw the amount of carbon deposited inside the throttle body, behind the flaps, so thought getting that cleaned should improve the power and FE.
Got the throttle body cleaned, and the spark plugs changed. Throttle body cleaning cost Rs 1600/. Now the car accelerates better than what it was earlier.
Earlier there was a slight vibration felt on the A pedal when the car was being accelerated, disappears when you hold the speed, and then again appears when you accelerate . This has now disappeared after the cleaning.
Hopefully, with the throttle body cleaning and the spark plug change, the FE should increase. I shall update after the next couple of refueling.
Also got all the jobs recommended during the 40K service done, save for the battery replacement. The battery is still in good condition, starts without a hitch on the first crank even with the head lights turned on.
Old 26th July 2017, 09:21   #645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I like the way the A-Star responds to accelerator inputs. It seems to hold it's speed well. So currently trying a slightly different approach to driving it. Once desired speed is attained, I take my foot off the accelerator. And once in a way, give it a little gas, but each time it's foot off the pedal. Waiting to see effect on FE.
You will see atleast 5% improvement in FE is you keep taking your foot off the accelerator. On highways, expect 10 to 20% improvement, depending on the traffic/terrain. Honda has real time fuel efficiency indicator in their automatics, and it shows that when you take the foot off the accelerator, the engine is hardly burning any fuel.

But do this only if the road terrain is either flat or slightly down. The car will maintain speeds even if you take the foot off the accelerator.

Most Viewed