Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2010, 23:54   #511
BHPian

Wasan Motors SA had come home today with a box of chocolates & a Diwali greeting card.

Last edited by dark_horizon : 4th November 2010 at 23:56.
Old 6th November 2010, 16:55   #512
BHPian

Brief TD of Aria in Sardinia Red

This morning I had a short TD of Aria Pride in Sardinia red.

I was most impressed with its styling, paint finish, visibility, rear view mirrors, power, braking, air conditioning, nifty storage, air cooled second glove box (can surely keep quality chocolates from going soggy), hydraulic jack with storage, and comfort of drive (low noise levels and drive comfort).

I was slightly disappointed by the driver's foot well (knee kept rubbing against corner of center column that holds system - pic attached), 3rd row seating, even more so the challenge was getting in and out of 3rd row, hard 2nd row middle seat (where arm rest is provided), and its horn (weak and dull).

I drove a short stretch around the lalbagh show room of Prerana motors. The visibility is amazing and makes the Aria so easy to drive in crazy traffic. Unfortunately, I rarely got to go to 4th gear given the stop and go. Mostly drove in 3rd and some 2nd gear. Smooth response. Never complained at bottlenecks and picked up on the same gear from slower speeds to 30-35kmph at 1000RPM. Handled minor potholes and speed breakers gently and to the comfort of passengers. Seemed unsettled in the first gear and once in the reverse. Reversing was cool thanks to the camera and excellent rear view mirrors. Once again, power and braking seemed fantastic. You almost dont realize it is such a big vehicle at over 2 tonnes.

For those of you who have booked it, I wish you all a great time. I expressed my nervousness of the Tata service reputation. The executive, who was clearly seemed to belong to an entirely different team from the hordes that serve you for Indicas, Nanos, etc, was very straight forward and non-salesy. He emphasized that this vehicle, the Aria, is important for Tatas and they will ensure customer service prioritizes the Aria customer. I am assuming in earnestness that one can accept it for the spirit and intention. Remains to be seen how it translates.

As for me, like I mentioned elsewhere, 6 to 7 people seated comfortably is important. I like what Buffetman highlighted the Innova has 3 seat belts at the rear. Fortuner has only 2. And both their 3rd row ergonomics appeal to me over that of Aria. Overall, Innova seems to me to be the ultimate MPV - from a narrow perspective of moving people. Of course this advantage is as long as one is on road and not off road. I am aware as I share my impressions here that, Aria's huge saftey features could count a lot more on the highway and comfort considerations I mention fade away. That said, in comparative spirit, Innova does seem to have a decent saftey record with its ABS and front airbags (a bare minimum).

I look forward to TD reports that go beyond creature comforts...on the wide open highways and off road.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-ariafootwell.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-aria3rdrow.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-ariamiddlerow.jpg  

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-ariatd.jpg  

Last edited by dhuli : 6th November 2010 at 17:05. Reason: Included another snap!
Old 6th November 2010, 19:43   #513
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
too early to gauge numbers for ARIA. These numbers are for dealer shipments, actual sales numbers would be seen next month onwards.
Agreed that it is too early to come to a conclusion. But if it is viewed with respect to

1) Price ( which many felt on a higher side for a TATA )
2) The response TATA got for sumo grade priced at half of ARIA

The numbers appears to be decent for a TATA car priced at 15 lakhs + in the first month of its launch
Old 6th November 2010, 21:12   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
I was slightly disappointed by the driver's foot well (knee kept rubbing against corner of center column that holds system - pic attached)...
May be, it depends on your seating/driving position. There are a whole lot of adjustment to seats [fwd/bkwd and up/down movements] and stearing wheel up & down. When you get a chance, try out all those adjustments and I am sure, it shouldnt be too cramped and knee brushing the dash sides.

I am a Safari owner and I agree the space is NOT as much as Safari. But, not so cramped.

May be, its your driving/seating position. Try out next time.

Prem.
Old 7th November 2010, 00:27   #515
BHPian

@kaviprem: you are right about driving position. I had adjusted fwd/back, seat height etc. as suggested by you. Also adjusted steering tilt to adjust for arm reach at a slightly more upright seating. Now, I usually drive a wagonR and it is like sitting at your dining table . I did the same here to. This does require seat to be forward a bit. Seat height helped to give good thigh support. My issue was after the adjustments. I guess you could fault the way I sit and drive.

Irrespective of the seating position, I did find the position of pedals a bit off for me!
Old 7th November 2010, 00:47   #516
BHPian

Did anyone experienced any rattling so far ? Plastic quality seems to be good from pics but whole lot of storage space in roof may turn a cause for rattling .
Old 11th November 2010, 07:36   #517
BHPian

I am not going to TD the aria for some time, if i do so, knowing my attachment with the brand TATA i might buy one. Reviews seem positive. I wish they released a new safari too !
Old 11th November 2010, 10:45   #518
BHPian

My TD of Aria

I went to collect my RC book and I saw the Aria parked near the entrance. I was looking over and my Safari salesman and offered me a test ride.

So, I took one. I am not a review expert and my points are in comparison with Safari or other vehicles I have driven..

Positives:
1. Engine is super silent. I cant believe its the same Dicor 2.2 engine. As Safari owner, I felt cheated.
2. Gear is slick and smooth. The Safari gears have long throw. This one is short, slick and sweet. More like an upmarketish sedan {IMHO better than Honda City}
3. Interiors are impressive. The chrome touches on the door handles and finish of the interiors were superb.
4. Felt like I was driving petrol than a diesel SUV.

Negatives:
1. I felt the Safari middle row comfort is far better. Aria seats felt a bit harder. However recline facility is available. Still I think Safari scores here.
2. Road presence. Within 1 month of ownership of Safari I have got used to others giving me way. People dont seem to be giving same respect to Aria.
3. Turning radius.. I did manage to take a U Turn. However I felt it could be better.
4. Sales lady accompanied me. She was parroting me about Innova. I hope TATA is educating the sales team to compare it against the likes of Captiva/ CR-V and not innova.

Overall great vehicle. I cant afford this price. So no regrets in buying my Safari.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:59   #519
Senior - BHPian

I TDed the Prestige one last week.

+ Built quality; quality of plastic etc is far better than what I have on my Safari
+ Engine is silent
+ IMHO, go a meaner looks than Safari
+ Big tyres and great looking alloy combination
+ The rear are a bit hard but felt comfortable. The recliner helped too.
+ Rear bench is spacious.
+ Audio control is very helpful and works perfectly.
+ Rear cam sees a lot , pretty wide.
+ adjustable hand rest height
+ Cup holders even for last benchers

- power is delivered more linearly; I wanted more bhp
- last bench wont be a comfortable place for very long drives. You sit ok if you pull up the headrest to a comfortable height( ensure you do this if you sit there)

I was at home in Aria and felt it sitting/area to be of the same league of Safari. I did try high speed overtaking and the rear didnt flinch like it does in Safari. Braking was good; felt ABS kicking in on a muddy road.

And Aria gets subwoofer on boot lid?

Edit: guess it can take a 8inch; donno if it has.

Last edited by jkdas : 15th November 2010 at 12:09.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:01   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Had this been a Toyota or Honda product, I doubt whether all this hooplah would have been made over the price.
Very true, being a TATA it gains more scrutiny. Sidharth of the CNB show on NDTV was in pain to point out the bad bits about Aria. Well this guy goes gaga if he was with a foreign brand.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:06   #521
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Been given the Engine and Chassis number allotted for the Aria Pride. PDI sometime later this week. Delivery probably next week.

Still not spotted even one on the road though am aware that they have delivered a few. They do not seem to be able to manufacture them fast enough lead times are 6 weeks offically.
Old 15th November 2010, 21:12   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Been given the Engine and Chassis number allotted for the Aria Pride. PDI sometime later this week. Delivery probably next week.

Still not spotted even one on the road though am aware that they have delivered a few. They do not seem to be able to manufacture them fast enough lead times are 6 weeks offically.
Pride! Cool! Which colour? And what interior scheme have you chosen? It looks like the Aria is following the Innova trend of selling higher numbers of the higher specced variants. Haven't heard of anyone booking the Pleasure variant yet.

PS. Where will you be collecting the vehicle from (Dealer) and what deals (if any) are they offering? I know it is early, but that's an indicator of how things are going, methinks. I haven't seen any here in Bangalore either, yet
Old 15th November 2010, 21:16   #523
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Pride! Cool! Which colour? And what interior scheme have you chosen? It looks like the Aria is following the Innova trend of selling higher numbers of the higher specced variants. Haven't heard of anyone booking the Pleasure variant yet.

PS. Where will you be collecting the vehicle from (Dealer) and what deals (if any) are they offering? I know it is early, but that's an indicator of how things are going, methinks. I haven't seen any here in Bangalore either, yet
I called Prerana motors (TATA Dealer) today for getting my much awaited TD.

But it looks like i need to wait some more.

On asking why the delay, they simply say, we have more bookings than cars, so the people who have booked get to do the TD. But i have been asked to go to their showroom where they will arrange for the TD

Let me see, if i can take time out this weekend.
Old 15th November 2010, 22:26   #524
BANNED

Now with the launch of the new Yeti, at almost similar price and better loaded with features, Aria seems to have got tough competition.
Old 16th November 2010, 13:09   #525
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

Pride - Night Shade Black.
As per the showroom guys who took the bookings all three variants are selling equally, but TATA has expected to see more of Pleasure and Prestige variants.

Will be going to Bhiwandi Warehouse of Wasan for PDI, after which will pay the balance and do the insurance, after which Wasan will get the registration and Octroi done, afterwhich I would collect the vehicle at Chembur showroom after final PDI.

No Deals - just got Insurance from outside (not the dealer) for 25K less, and got 3K off on the Registation through a contact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks