Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 10:07   #811
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Lower gear ratios mean higher cruising speed at lower rpm. So a lower ratio is welcome for good highway cruising. Example the earlier Safaris came with a higher ratio top gear, and were showing 100kmph at approx 2500rpm, where as the newer ones (post 2012 end) came with the GB76 MK2 gearbox and they hit 100kmph at a much lower 2100rpm, so more relaxed and fun cruising.
Plastics have steadily improved with time, and current lot Safari/Aria platics are quite good.
Thanks for the clarification on Gear ratio's

Same dealer told me TATA has restricted the sale of ARIA to 28 dealers all over India and he is not in that list. Why is it so?

Iam thinking of Aria Pure or Pure LX. Unable to make up mind considering the small numbers it is selling month by month. To me Pure LX looks to be more VFM than Pure.
Only thing lacking in LX is ABS. One can plonk a better Audio in LX

Last edited by rkg : 14th May 2013 at 10:08.
Old 14th May 2013, 10:12   #812
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont worry about the new engine. Any 2.2 liter Dicor engine can be remapped by a simple ECU tune to 160bhp/40kgm torque, infact it is the stage 1 tune for most tuning boxes, price approx 20k Rs.
Good thing about Tata getting a higher state of tune engine is we may reflash our ECU to higher specs at the TASS itself
Yep Race Dynamics Box for Aria is at about Rs. 20K.

But regarding the Reflash of the TATA ECU -
The higher engine output that is expected from TATA for the 2.2 engine is reportedly though a mix of ECU and a bigger / different Turbo + this is delivered through a better gearbox - 6 Speed both in Auto and Manual. Have read about this earlier but it is ofcourse just reported news right now and needs to be clarified when the updates to come. Though the bit about gears is already quite clear. I too had considered the possibility of getting my Aria ECU updated in the manner suggested by you but then post reading about the Turbo etc, gave up the Idea. A RD box is the best bet with the current hardware.

The Remap / Tuning box option always remains for the previous owners but the newer owners may be able to take the power even further up with the same tools to match the Fortuner. The Santa Fe with the same sized engine gets 190+ Bhp.
Old 14th May 2013, 11:42   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Thanks for the clarification on Gear ratio's

Same dealer told me TATA has restricted the sale of ARIA to 28 dealers all over India and he is not in that list. Why is it so?

Iam thinking of Aria Pure or Pure LX. Unable to make up mind considering the small numbers it is selling month by month. To me Pure LX looks to be more VFM than Pure.
Good choice of buying an Aria. I believe it is the most understated car around for now. However I wouldnt recommend you buying a big car/SUV without ABS. Please dont compromise on life saving equipment. Car audio etc you can add/modify when you please, but you cant add ABS or airbags later.
Old 14th May 2013, 11:56   #814
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good choice of buying an Aria. I believe it is the most understated car around for now. However I wouldnt recommend you buying a big car/SUV without ABS. Please dont compromise on life saving equipment. Car audio etc you can add/modify when you please, but you cant add ABS or airbags later.

I do agree about the importance of ABS. At least it has 4 discs as against Safari, scorpio, xylo and innova etc

But the price difference is 2 Lakhs for ABS and Audio.
TATA has not priced the ARIA properly.

But main doubt is about the availability of spares , because of the low volumes of the car being sold.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:05   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep Race Dynamics Box for Aria is at about Rs. 20K.

But regarding the Reflash of the TATA ECU -
The higher engine output that is expected from TATA for the 2.2 engine is reportedly though a mix of ECU and a bigger / different Turbo + this is delivered through a better gearbox - 6 Speed both in Auto and Manual. Have read about this earlier but it is ofcourse just reported news right now and needs to be clarified when the updates to come. Though the bit about gears is already quite clear. I too had considered the possibility of getting my Aria ECU updated in the manner suggested by you but then post reading about the Turbo etc, gave up the Idea. A RD box is the best bet with the current hardware.
The Safari/Aria have a VTT. Some new tuning boxes, I believe from RaceDynamics have a setup to work the Variable turbine along with ECU mapping to give a higher power output. I believe the 2.2 liter can be easily taken to 180+bhp and 40-45kgm torque, anything beyond it the transmission and gears may not handle. As it is, with 140bhp the car easily does high speeds, with even 160bhp, she might just do a shade under the double ton!!! if not cross the figure...

Quote:
I do agree about the importance of ABS. At least it has 4 discs as against Safari, scorpio, xylo and innova etc

But the price difference is 2 Lakhs for ABS and Audio.
TATA has not priced the ARIA properly.

But main doubt is about the availability of spares , because of the low volumes of the car being sold.
Storme, XUV and Aria all have 4 wheel disc breaks. Spares regarding engine, transmission, suspension, chassis are easily available since its shared between Xenon, Aria, Storme. Tata is known to keep spares supplied, so shouldnt be an issue. Yes pricing seems an issue, which Tata seems to have solved in the Storme versions, with the new Aria I believe they might correct their skewed pricing.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:18   #816
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Maybe they have restricted the sales to those dealers who they feel are more competent to provide the kind of experience an Aria customer would demand as well as to ensure service quality .Though it shares the engine with the Storme, the Aria is a much more complex vehicle overall. In many ways like the Rexton.

Get the Prestige or Pride if you can with discounts.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:21   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Dont worry about the new engine. Any 2.2 liter Dicor engine can be remapped by a simple ECU tune to 160bhp/40kgm torque, infact it is the stage 1 tune for most tuning boxes, price approx 20k Rs.
Good thing about Tata getting a higher state of tune engine is we may reflash our ECU to higher specs at the TASS itself
Hi, But would the current parts be designed to handle the higher power and torque? Also if the power goes up the heat generated also would go up that leads to the question of the cooling systems handling the additional heat. Of course these will matter only when we take the engine beyond the current hp/torque range which I suppose will be extremely minimal. I was thinking of a tuning box for my Grande MK II's engine, but the above considerations and also the fact that Grande will become even more unwieldy with more power nipped my thoughts in the very beginning.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:49   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi, But would the current parts be designed to handle the higher power and torque? Also if the power goes up the heat generated also would go up that leads to the question of the cooling systems handling the additional heat. Of course these will matter only when we take the engine beyond the current hp/torque range which I suppose will be extremely minimal. I was thinking of a tuning box for my Grande MK II's engine, but the above considerations and also the fact that Grande will become even more unwieldy with more power nipped my thoughts in the very beginning.
Your concerns are very valid. However regarding the grande, the engine is the same safari engine detuned to 120bhp, so the components are rated to at least 140bhp at the minimum. Also all engines are rated for higher power but restricted to a lower power to manage engine life. The best answer to these question will be from the tuners themselves, however I too agree its best not to fiddle with the manufactured specs
Old 14th May 2013, 12:57   #819
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
As mentioned by apachelongbow the tuner can given the best opinion but he too is not a sure shot bet. The Vendor car company will of course say no. It Seems a safe bet for the Grande MK II - mainly because the engine is the same 2.2 dicore of the Safari.

Do check if the gearbox version and gear rations are similar in the Safari and the MKII though. In any case due to the overdesign aspect mentioned it would be quite safe.
Old 14th May 2013, 14:23   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Do check if the gearbox version and gear rations are similar in the Safari and the MKII though. In any case due to the overdesign aspect mentioned it would be quite safe.

Quote:
The best answer to these question will be from the tuners themselves,
Hi ACM and apachelongbow,
Thanks for your inputs. I will check this out and then make a decision. Now that the vehicle is out of the extend I can afford to do it
Old 17th May 2013, 16:32   #821
Senior - BHPian

I was just browsing through the Aria's website and found that TaMo has effected a official price reduction on the Aria. Also some models like Pure and Prestige 4x2 and Prestige 4x4 are gone from the lineup.

The website doesn't have the links to specifications or the brochure. So it's not clear if there are changes in features of these models. Price wise it is now par with the XUV.
Attached Images

Last edited by safari_lover : 17th May 2013 at 16:37.
Old 17th May 2013, 16:58   #822
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Only concorde is the dealer for ARIA in Bangalore. Prerana, aadya, kht motors removed. This is what was told to me by KHT Motors guy.

Feature link was working around a month back for few days.

http://www.tataaria.com/main/specs-variants#Variants

Feature list shows many thing which are not present in any version.

Last edited by rkg : 17th May 2013 at 17:02.
Old 17th May 2013, 18:15   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only concorde is the dealer for ARIA in Bangalore. Prerana, aadya, kht motors removed. This is what was told to me by KHT Motors guy..
That's sad. 2 months back had a crappy experience with Concorde Motors (Dairy Circle). The salesguy was claiming Aria still came with DMF (whereas website confirmed SMF), the gear lever leather had started peeling off on a 284km driven Aria(!), was trying to take me for a ride telling there's never been any problems reported with the Aria. I was so p____d off and I simply asked him to visit a website called Team-BHP. He's never called me back since.
Old 17th May 2013, 19:34   #824
BHPian

Interesting, with this price reduction, I guess, ARIA and STORME are competing with each other. Unless the buyer is clear in his/hear mind, they can not decide

STORME VX 4X4 [ex-showroom Bangalore] - 14.3L
ARIA PRIDE 4X4 [ex-showroom Bangalore]- 15.1L

For less than lakh, we get better things, I would say in ARIA.
I just wish, TML introduces ARIA PRIDE 4X2 that would make it even more competitive.

Prem.
Old 17th May 2013, 22:11   #825
BHPian

The way things are goimg as far as sales of both the Storme and the Aria, it seems that TATA will be happy with anthing selling!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks