Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 09:57   #826
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

It seems to be an error or something like that.

The difference between Pleasure 4x2 and 4x4 is a whopping 2.1 lakh.(14.48 to 12.37)

It may be prestige version 4x4 rather than pleasure version.

Further why TATA do such reduction in price and do not make any announcement at all?

when they reduced the price Manza or Indica recently, they have given full scale advertisements. Compared to the reduction Manza/Indica, they reduction as it appears in website is significant, yet there is not announcement from TATA
Old 18th May 2013, 10:58   #827
BHPian

Is it likely to be an exercise of getting rid off all the current stock before the updated 2013 model. Then they may be they will come up with an all out marketing campaign.
Old 18th May 2013, 11:09   #828
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't really think they are producing any 2013 models at all or may be just a few. As sales is in single digits and they still have 2012 stock.

I think they will be planning to introduce a refresh version before the year end, and will then splurge with their Aria Marketing Budget to once again get it moving.

Announcing a price drop on the existing version will only dilute the brand. Instead they could just introduce a new year model at a new and better price point without bothering to mention the previous prices. A fresh start is what they need.
Old 18th May 2013, 20:25   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Announcing a price drop on the existing version will only dilute the brand.

Instead they could just introduce a new year model at a new and better price point without bothering to mention the previous prices. A fresh start is what they need.
No offense but I dont think the Aria has built itself as a brand ( neither has TML ) that a price drop will result in any dilution. Despite price corrections et al, the Aria + Sumo + Storme + Safari sell hardly half of what the ageing Scorpio sells.

I agree with your second point on the fresh start bit. In case there is no "refresh" model in the near term, they might as well launch the Aria once again with good ads and announce the new variants and revised pricing. Not sure why TML is not doing this - I hope its not due to a lack of confidence in the product itself.

Last edited by narayan : 18th May 2013 at 20:28.
Old 20th May 2013, 21:31   #830
Senior - BHPian

In Fact Aria is the best platform to start. Since it sells in few numbers, customers and Tata can do something like What Mahindra did through RMs. Arias and Stormes can come under this bucket and slowly trickle down.

a 5 year no questions asked warranty will instill some confidence. I personally like the Aria but is just the reliability factor that is keeping me away from it. There have been good reports on the aria but there have been equal number of not so good reports on the Aria too. Secondly, the number of Scorpio Taxis are more than Arias.

Instead of Wasting money on a facelift, they could probably improve thier QC and bring in someone like RMs to handle premium customers.
Old 28th May 2013, 20:23   #831
BANNED

An update. Drove my ARIA on 24 May from Delhi to Haridwar and back same day. Average FE = 12.5 (with BOTH A/C ON throughout). Delhi weather is miserable this week. Total 5 adults (family) + daughter (14 yrs), who loved the rear seat. BIL also switched to the rear seat, which became a HOT favourite ! (Only a few handbags + regular Haridwar Ganga-Snan stuff). Brought back 5+ litres of "Holy" water.

Performance was superb. Steering is sharp, it points right where you want it to. Had a tough time when a sand truck on the middle lane just decided to turn right with me just about to overtake (at about 100 Kmph) in the right most lane, on the Raj Nagar Extn road, near MOhan Nagar, GZB. I stood on the brakes, there was a momentary screech, then the tyres unlocked (or so I thought), the ARIA came to a dead stop in a straight line, no skidding, no judders, no drama whatsoever ! GOD saved me ! The A/C is top class and the inner temp (measured with a multimeter) was 26 deg C inside when the outside was 46.
lifebuoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 19:32   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
I stood on the brakes, there was a momentary screech, then the tyres unlocked (or so I thought), the ARIA came to a dead stop in a straight line, no skidding, no judders, no drama whatsoever
good to know that the Aria behaved well. It is nice to see a positive feedback from someone. A BHPian's Aria's (I think its indian21r) brake failed on the mum-pune expressway and thank god, he could bring it safely to a halt.

Good to know that the Aria behaved well. Is this the effect of Karl Slym taking over a Tata Chief
Old 31st May 2013, 11:20   #833
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Exited from the Aria and that ends my TATA SUV ownership chain from 13 years. Am actually saddened by it as I did love the vehicle. TATA did on being pressed for it make sure that I did not have any financial loss worth mentioning (Am not willing to disclose any more details on that aspect on the open forum.)

It is a superb vehicle. The BEST in Class for sure. But NOT the most reliable. (It is in my opinion a bit more reliable than the XUV (based on XUV issues thread reports) (but am a biased party). The first lot of Aria were in my opinion plagued with too many issues.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 16:11   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Exited from the Aria and that ends my TATA SUV ownership chain from 13 years. Am actually saddened by it as I did love the vehicle.
Sad to know! Your ownership thread was one big knowledge/useful insight bucket about Aria. I guess the late last year and this year's Arias are better stitched together as I have heard from few of my friends who bought in last 6-7 months. I think it is always a gamble to put in your hard earned money on a new launch.

Anyway, which is your next ride?
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 16:33   #835
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Sad to know! Your ownership thread was one big knowledge/useful insight bucket about Aria. I guess the late last year and this year's Arias are better stitched together as I have heard from few of my friends who bought in last 6-7 months. I think it is always a gamble to put in your hard earned money on a new launch.

Yep the recent batch seems better stitched together, but they really are not selling that many in recent times. I guess they are now focusing on the facelift version to again get them some traction and start afresh.

Many people buy a Toyota or a Honda or even a Suzuki or Hyundai on day 1 knowing that they will be reliable. The Aria was tested for very long and there were sightings of the vehicle in full trim from almost 2 years prior to my purchase. Besides the engine components were from the previous Safari 2.2. Yet there was / is a lot that is new, the DMF, the TOD, the suspension (Platform), the Airbags, Interiors, ACC, Infotainment, etc. and that did mean some of it did not come off exactly as intended. Am sure the second version will be superb and if they can give it a more aggressive look and pricing then they will do well.

I could and may put up a list of issues on my ownership thread. But that could potentially just put off buyers, who may just not face the same issues in the present lot of Aria vehicles and so will need to do it in an appropriate manner.

A car manufacturer can say he as made it as a car manufacturer when the new vehicles they introduce come glitch free from the first version onwards. With the Storme Tata is kind off better in that aspect vs. the Aria but still has a bit more to do to really get there.

Am not going to decide on my next ride in a hurry. Still have the Laura to manage my work commute but it is ageing. There is no vehicle that really matches upto my expectations currently. Maybe the Rextron and Fortuner AT go about 85% of the way but one needs to prove reliability and the other is still a bit of a truck in ride comfort and drive, besides being overpriced.

Need to figure out what next but will give it some time. May even go the pre owned route to just enjoy a highly depreciated vehicle for some time. . While earlier the thought was about keeping a vehicle for many many years like I have been doing earlier, now am contemplating the opportunity of buying a vehicle that is already significantly depreciated and enjoying it for a few short years and then getting another one. The only issue is getting a reliable vehicle.

On another note, having experienced almost every aspect of the Aria in 61,000 kms over 2.5 years and am sure going to be available for any specific feedback.

Last edited by ACM : 31st May 2013 at 16:41.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:26   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post

My friend has a Pride 4x4 that is around an year old or lesser, yesterday got a call with "Restricted Performance" error and RPM issues. In my case this error turned out to be a "loose connection of temperature sensor".
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:23   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
My friend has a Pride 4x4 that is around an year old or lesser, yesterday got a call with "Restricted Performance" error and RPM issues. In my case this error turned out to be a "loose connection of temperature sensor".
Update from the service station, it was a "rat problem", one of the injector connection wires was eaten away! Sorry about any confusion caused.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:29   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Interesting, my five year old Indigo CS has had this issue few times. Because of which the engine fan would not shut off (when temperature needle touches half way mark) even when I completely shut off the engine and take out the keys.

Legacy carried over to Aria ?
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:37   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
An update. Drove my ARIA on 24 May from Delhi to Haridwar and back same day. Average FE = 12.5 (with BOTH A/C ON throughout). Delhi weather is miserable this week. Total 5 adults (family) + daughter (14 yrs), who loved the rear seat. BIL also switched to the rear seat, which became a HOT favourite ! (Only a few handbags + regular Haridwar Ganga-Snan stuff). Brought back 5+ litres of "Holy" water.

Performance was superb. Steering is sharp, it points right where you want it to. Had a tough time when a sand truck on the middle lane just decided to turn right with me just about to overtake (at about 100 Kmph) in the right most lane, on the Raj Nagar Extn road, near MOhan Nagar, GZB. I stood on the brakes, there was a momentary screech, then the tyres unlocked (or so I thought), the ARIA came to a dead stop in a straight line, no skidding, no judders, no drama whatsoever ! GOD saved me ! The A/C is top class and the inner temp (measured with a multimeter) was 26 deg C inside when the outside was 46.
Really afraid of travelling in non-ABS cars behind ABS equipped cars esp if driven by old men, because you never know the pressure on brakes applied by the person in front of you.
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:23   #840
BANNED

@lurker,

The ARIA in all trims / versions comes with ABS+EBD as standard. What the Pure / Pure LX do not have in terms of safety eqpt are AIrbags for driver + passenger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks