Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:09   #991
BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
ARIA now comes with 150 HP and 320 Nm torque, Harmon Kordon music system, double parabola Projector head lights.
This is a bit interesting. The current Aria has 138horses and 330Nm torque. as per the brochure here, it says 150ps and 320Nm torque. Has the torque gone down (or i am probably mis-informed).

Also does this one come with a 6 gears?
Old 3rd March 2014, 12:11   #992
Senior - BHPian

according to the spec sheet posted by RKG, the color options are limited to 3?
The previous color options were 8 -
Night Shade Black, Quartz Black ,Sardinia Red , Castle Grey ,Surf Blue , Walnut Gold , Arctic Silver, Pearl White

Last edited by undead : 3rd March 2014 at 12:16.
Old 3rd March 2014, 21:36   #993
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
This is a bit interesting. The current Aria has 138horses and 330Nm torque. as per the brochure here, it says 150ps and 320Nm torque. Has the torque gone down (or i am probably mis-informed).

Also does this one come with a 6 gears?
Old ARIA also has 320nm only. now torque comes @ lower RPM. Further it has clutch from LUK, Germany. No information about 6 gears. AFAIK it is 5 gears only
Old 4th March 2014, 13:24   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Old ARIA also has 320nm only. now torque comes @ lower RPM. Further it has clutch from LUK, Germany. No information about 6 gears. AFAIK it is 5 gears only
Thanks rkg. I got a note from Autocar that this refresh would retain the 5 gear setup.

On another note - Existing Aria users, would you be able to comment on the RPM at which the Aria does 100kmph? I currently own an innova and the it does a 100 at about 2600/700 rpm and gets quite noisy inside. This growl over time fatigues me (probably it is only me) and that is something i would want to look for in my new purchase. I drove a fortuner sometime back and noticed it does a 100 @ about 2200rpm and that is terrific.
Old 4th March 2014, 18:55   #995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....would you be able to comment on the RPM at which the Aria does 100kmph?..
Should be ~2200 rpm. Innova has a very short gearing and hence the rpm will be very high as you hit 100 kmph. If it had a 6th gear, the rpm would have been lower at 100 kmph.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:06   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks rkg. I got a note from Autocar that this refresh would retain the 5 gear setup.

On another note - Existing Aria users, would you be able to comment on the RPM at which the Aria does 100kmph? I currently own an innova and the it does a 100 at about 2600/700 rpm and gets quite noisy inside. This growl over time fatigues me (probably it is only me) and that is something i would want to look for in my new purchase. I drove a fortuner sometime back and noticed it does a 100 @ about 2200rpm and that is terrific.
The fortuner does it at ~2000rpm and the safari storme is similar too so i expect around 2000-2100 for aria
Old 5th March 2014, 20:00   #997
BHPian

Quote:

On another note - Existing Aria users, would you be able to comment on the RPM at which the Aria does 100kmph?
5th gear => just below 2000
4th gear => around 2600 or so (just inside the green band)
Old 6th March 2014, 21:57   #998
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
The TATA ARIA website has been updated. All new features have been incorporated and the prices are updated too. I have been watching this site for few days, and today saw the changes in the site.

http://www.tataaria.com

Prices :

Ex-Delhi
ARIA Pure LX 4X2 BS IV : Rs 995006
ARIA Pleasure 4X2 BS IV : Rs 1200010
ARIA Pride 4X4 BS IV : Rs 1474002

Prices listed on their website

They have made comparison for Aria with the Innova in their website .
undead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 17:42   #999
AAD
BHPian

As an existing Aria Pride 4x4 owner that has done 90,000 Kms, I am not super excited by the updates in the New Aria that is being launched on 12th March (as per ACI). As I have driven my Aria extensively, I have my own wish list of improvements that I hope to see in the Aria.

For the benefit of all others who share an interest in Aria & to have more discussion on the same, I have mentioned below the areas of improvement.

Driver Comfort & Ergonomics

Tilt n Telescopic steering
Central locking on Driver door panel
3rd gear to be lower for in town driving
Improve steering mounted switches to prevent accidental use and provide Backlit switches
Handbrake needs to more effective - Improve Leverage & Mechanical Advantage
Positive clicking action for headlamp leveler n instrument light dimmer switch
More Power and Torque - More Torque lower at lower RPM - Approx 1200 - 1300
Lower Final Axle Ratio - Change from current 3.7 to 4.1 for better in town drivability
Headlamp washers
4x4 indicator in instrument nacelle
More robust clutch
Auto fold door mirrors on Ignition switch off and on
Smoother drivetrain with less noise, vibrations and better match between gearbox and engine torque curve
Improve location n flow of cool air in front - Current vents direct cold air to Driver Hand on Steering

General Improvements

Cargo cover at back
Audio system with remote or Audio Control in Rear Armrest
Option for Captain Seats in Middle Row
Bluetooth with audio Streaming
Better cup holder design in front console n rear armrest
Improve ease of access to 3rd row - Middle seat does not tumble fully if front seat fully back
Improve cigarette lighter socket with no spring back n more positive fit
Improved audio system with touch screen navigation
AC Blower too noisy especially at rear - Reduce Noise
Improve reversing camera with guidelines and audible distance sensor
Improve leg space in co driver seat - The blower unit of the ac is set too low in the co-passenger footwell + the 4x4 drivetrain also intrudes into the footwell reducing the effective width available.

Let's have a healthy discussion on this. I have been looking at moving to Toyota Fortuner for a long time as my serious 4x4 vehicle but when I look at the spec sheet for India & compare it with what they offer in South Africa, I feel terribly short changed & hence have not been able to convince myself to go ahead & get the Fortuner.

Safari Storme can be a good contender if it incorporates all the features of the Aria (safety, navigation, auto headlamps & wipers to name a few) and comes with enhanced power, more refined drive train & of course better reliability.

Tata Motors has a rare opportunity both with Aria & Storme to challenge Toyota at this point of time, what with the pricing of Innova & Fortuner. The greater challenge for TaMo of course is internal with dealer response & motivation, quality etc.

Time will tell if TaMo rises to the occasion.
AAD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 19:27   #1000
BANNED

Quote:

My Pure does 100 kph with the RPM at about 2100 in 5th. However, this will vary with the road conditions (slight gradient, head or tail winds, maybe even cross winds). So 2050 to 2200 is a safe window. These I noted on the Delhi - Udaipur highway with less than half load.

The ARIA is a fantastic highway cruiser. NVH is superb, along with royal comfort levels (steady road holding, supple suspension). I have done about 25K kms now in about 22 months now.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 23:18   #1001
BHPian

The Storme does 100kmph at just above 2000rpm (would be 2050 or so). The buzzy nature of the Innova engine at anything above 80 - 90kmph is what deterred me from buying it. Definitely induces fatigue if you are driving long distances. The Storme feels relaxed and silent at 100-110kmph. The Aria, I guess, would be similar.
sasi405 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 10:44   #1002
BHPian

I went to B'luru last week in my colleague's Aria last week and I did the driving mostly. We had another car, a Cruze too. It was pleasure to drive the Aria and I could effortlessly keep up with the Cruze that was doing between 120 and 130. The occupants, three of them, were very comfortable and I was very happy with the handling of the car. One of friend has an Innova, and he was happier with Aria than Innova. When I change my Grande MKII after a couple of years my first choice would be an Aria, if it still around.
At an indicated 100KMPH the tachometer was at 2100 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
My Pure does 100 kph with the RPM at about 2100 in 5th. However, this will vary with the road conditions (slight gradient, head or tail winds, maybe even cross winds). So 2050 to 2200 is a safe window. These I noted on the Delhi - Udaipur highway with less than half load.
Technically this should not happen unless the clutch is slipping.
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 14:01   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
As an existing Aria Pride 4x4 owner that has done 90,000 Kms, I am not super excited by the updates in the New Aria that is being launched on 12th March (as per ACI). As I have driven my Aria extensively, I have my own wish list of improvements that I hope to see in the Aria.
Good list. Some of them seem to have been ironed out in the newer one. As per the sales person, the torque band is lot wider now. Also he'd specifically mentioned that it generates 270Nm at 1000rpm and that makes it lot torquier than the Innova. I am currently owning an Innova and i have test driven both the older Aria and Strome. The Tatas are leagues ahead in terms of the over all experience. Not that Innova has given me any heart burns but it is just that it fatigues me on longer runs (probably the growl - or i dont know what).

You are right about the fortuner - it is criminally priced given its skinny feature list (no offence meant to fortuner owners). It definitely has those looks but at close to 30L on road here at Bangalore, it simply does not seem worth the money. Also the ride seemed quite bumpy on the highway (i am not sure if it was just me).

Could you also articulate your ownership experience of the Aria please? 90k is a lot of mileage :-)

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 12th March 2014 at 11:55. Reason: Full post quoted
Old 23rd March 2014, 21:17   #1004
AAD
BHPian

Hi Shiwik,

Sorry for the delayed reply to your post. Have been rather busy with financial year ending soon.

My experience with the Aria is mixed. While I am largely satisfied with the overall ownership, I am disappointed with the no. of trips that we have had to make to Concorde Worli, Mumbai workshop. Concorde Motors is of course wholly owned by Tata Motors so my Aria was looked after by them rather well.

My experience would have perhaps been much worse if I was not located in Mumbai & didn't have access to Concorde facilities. It also helped that I am quite a hands on person who is quite knowledgeable about all things Auto, so they also took me seriously when I had issues or complaints.

My ownership experience with Aria is posted below for your reference,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2930168

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3332296

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3332413

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3332779

Having taken my Aria long distance over the last 2.5 years, I must say that the ride & handling is comfortable & confidence inspiring. I am very particular about safety & believe that at this price point, there isn't a safer vehicle than Aria on Indian roads.

Tata Motors needs to work on quality of components used to improve reliability. Also they need to be far more proactive with regard to Customer & Market needs. There are not many things that need fixing with Aria but despite the miserable nos they sell month after month, there has been no attempt at contacting existing Aria owners on their ownership experience & suggestions for improvement.

In balance, I would rate Aria @ 50% in terms of meeting my expectations as an Owner & mind you I moved from Innova to Aria. I still maintain that Aria is a better proposition than Innova but Tata Motors really have to work very hard at improving every facet of its operations.
Old 24th March 2014, 09:28   #1005
Senior - BHPian

I believe Tata has still not managed an optimum product positioning of the Aria with respect to the XUV -

1) The top end PRIDE variant is only available in 4x4, thus shooting up the price. On the contrary, XUV 4x2 has 3 variants - W4, W6 and W8.

2) Except the base variant, all other variants of the XUV is still cheaper than the Aria. What is the point of positioning your vehicle at a premium and then giving away discounts to the tune of 2 Lacs to clear old stocks? It hurts brand image.

3) The base variant of Aria (Pure LX) retails at 10.13 Lacs whereas the base variant of XUV (W4) retails at 10.61 Lacs. But for INR 48000 more, you get a 6 speed transmission, dual Airbags, ABS with EBD, projector headlights, etc.

4) The middle variant of the XUV (W6) is cheaper than the Aria's middle variant (Pleasure) by INR 63000 and still the XUV gets more features like ABS with EBD, static bending headlamps, reverse sensors, automatic headlights and wipers, Automatic HVAC, cruise control, etc.

5) When we compare the top end variants, both cars are almost neck to neck. Where the Aria has an advantage of giving a premium Harmon Kardon music system, the XUV offers Hill hold and Hill descent control and cornering lights. But point to consider is that the top end variant of XUV (W8 4x4) is cheaper than the Aria Pride 4x4 by INR 91000. What's more, XUV gives the option of the W8 4x2 which is cheaper than the Aria by INR 195000.

I see this as another failed marketing strategy. If you want to beat your prime competitors, atleast come prepared! Now I see why they have only compared Aria's features with the Innova in their website, not the XUV!

P.S.: Tata lovers, this is not a deliberate attempt to disregard the Tata Aria. I see the Aria as one of the finest products from an Indian manufacturer. So this is a rant about Tata failing to sell and market a nice product effectively. I dont see the Aria rocking any sales chart...

Note: All prices were taken from the respective websites (ex-showroom, Mumbai).
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks