Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 11:32   #46
BHPian

Great Review GTO. ARIA looks cool, wish i i buy this beast in future.

Thanks,
Reisender
Old 12th October 2010, 11:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

the pic of the Aria facing the Safari shows how inherently right the Safari's design was from the word go. even afer 15 odd years, the Safar can more than hold its own against competition and cars even a segment higher.

Great review Rehaan and GTO.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:40   #48
BHPian

@GTO and Rehaan- That is one very detailed review! I cannot imagine the kind of effort you have put in for this review! And such detailed pics! If you are at anytime considering to start your own automag please let me know.. I will put my money in

Tata is trying to create a new segment altogether with a premium MPV. But I am skeptical- I would go for an MPV if it's a VFM product. I would choose an SUV if I were to pay a premium for a lifestyle product. Aria doesn't fit in either of them. Lack of space at the third row for an MPV is not a good thing either.
I hope I am proved wrong and an Indian brand scales up to a premium segment.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:50   #49
Team-BHP Support

From your reviews it is pretty apparent that what Cars you guys like and what not. (T-Jet review should be worth, me thinks).

Is the interior botched up because the (initial) cargo met with an accident near King's Circle, Bombay and the Aria's, journalists got to sample were replacements and at some places as evident, was a copy-paste job?

I am impressed with the Car, I won't say the pricing is over the top, but a bit on the higher side. Though I have serious reservations about its rear-end looks marred by the styling of tail-lamps. It simply doesn't gel.

Thanks for the comprehensive review GTO and Rehaan.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:54   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb and very detailed coverage of the Tata Aria. Kudos to GTO and Rehaan. Wonderful job

I happened to drive alongside an Aria last week and as against the feeling i was getting before when i just looked at the pictures wherein i thought it looked like a hash of Manza and Vista ( it still looks like both from some angles) but, i was in for a pleasant surprise to note atleast from the exterior it looked quite premium unlike most Tata Cars.

However, justifying that price tag is going to be an uphill task for Tata. I reckon people who will buy this will be with deep pockets, people who usually buy the latest product for its uniqueness etc. That will not jingle the cash registers is my opinion as Innova and Scorpio are around to give it a fight.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review 5*. The first post rolled in within an hour of the launch. Great job.

What has not been discussed is that for the first time TATA product may not be a favourite in the taxi/tour operator circles. Has the price strategy anything to do with this angle? May be tata wants to change its taxi vehicle image.

Overall, I am proud of this being an Indian product. A better price tag would have given many a brands run for their money and at the same time kept the Indian customer like me hopeful of buying it one day.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:59   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
1) when is the 2WD being launched? the pricing is of a 4x4 Aria which cannot & should not be compared to a 2WD innova. maybe the 2WD aria will cost a lot lesser.
Despite the Indian market being very sensitive to price and fuel efficiency, Tata says they have no plans for a 2WD version!

Part of this is because they want to use 4x4 as a USP -- which is what differentiates the Aria as a 'crossover' from any other MUV.
As mentioned in the review, we'll have to wait and see how successful that will be, but we have our doubts!!

Perhaps poor sales figures could work as a catalyst to getting that (unplanned) 4x2 version out sooner. Lets see how it does on the sales charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
How many passengers were in the vehicle during your test drive?

I hope the ARIA will feel more planted on the road with a load of 5 people and some luggage
4 people when on the highway. Yes, its possible that there might be some improvement with the highway ride as the car gets weighed down more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
One observation, with the Aria weight being over 2 tonnes doesn't the 2.2 liter engine feel underpowered as compared to Endeavour and Fortuner
The engine definitely does not feel underpowered at all. However, in terms of power delivery you can't compare it to something like the Fortuner (3.0L vs 2.2L). There's a big difference there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
2.2 Engine has more grunt then Innovas D4D
It does have a more usable band of torque, and the engine clatter that is evident in the Innova is quite well masked out by the Aria's NVH tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The brochure mentions ESP! Did you get a chance to test if it really works on wet tarmac when the vehicle goes into a skid etc.,
Yes - ESP is an Indian OEM first! (and ABS + airbags on all variants is a good step too).

We did not get a chance to find any wet roads or test the ESP on our relatively short test drive -- in fact Tata themselves have tested the ESP in Sweden and North America, since those test conditions are more easily available there.

cya
R
Old 12th October 2010, 12:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Found this video of Motorbeam.com TDing their vehicle. Can't really call this off-roading, but it does show in one section the limitations of the TOD AWD system:

Wondering if GTO/Rehaan had taken the Aria off road. Any attempts to put the AWD system and ESP to the test?

Edit: Ok, gotcha from the post above. Thanks

Last edited by VeluM : 12th October 2010 at 12:03.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2010, 12:14   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
For a change I disagree to the comment that dead pedal will be missed ( given seating is upright like safari) If fact if you place a dead pedal in safari you will have sore left calf muscle
In the Aria too, your calves are going more vertically down into the footwell as opposed to horizontally into it. (Tata's truck heritage? Remember how the sumos had steering wheels that were more horizontal than vertical )

Depending on your driving position, this can force you to bend your ankles a fair deal to get onto the pedals. Something in between the angle of the floor and the pedal would be good to rest your left leg on! Those who wish to use it can, and others can rest their foot on the floor, but i think the option should be present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Also, the 4x4, considering normal roads driving I will keep 4x2 button pressed almost always, however when I get stuck then I will use 4x4. Now the question, will it help me get out of tough situations like a wheel gone in a pit ?
Yes it should. In a 2wd without any kind of limited or locking differential, when one wheel loses traction, it sucks up all the power.

In the case of the Aria - power is distributed as and when needed, so it should be able to get you out of those situations without an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
can you provide some more pictures on the tow hook ? Couldnt understand it from the photo as provided.
You bolt a tow-ball like this into those two threaded holes >

Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review-maypoletowball5005b.jpg
source

Then you can hitch a trailer onto it. (The ball is a pivot point, so the trailer and car can manage turns more independently form each other.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is the interior botched up because the (initial) cargo met with an accident near King's Circle, Bombay and the Aria's, journalists got to sample were replacements and at some places as evident, was a copy-paste job?
Our test drive was taken much before that incident.
The interiors are good - but the fit and finish, and attention to detail of certain parts still needs improvement. As said, 80% there - which is a big step up from earlier Tatas, but certain rough edges and hollow/thin feeling plastics need to be improved upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
What has not been discussed is that for the first time TATA product may not be a favourite in the taxi/tour operator circles. Has the price strategy anything to do with this angle? May be tata wants to change its taxi vehicle image.
Its hard to start a product low and then sell it up. Its easier to do it the other way around.

Also, image (of a brand OR vehicle) is definitely a large factor in the purchase of a car for most Indians.

I'm sure these factors played some part in Tata's decisions.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th October 2010 at 12:16.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:22   #55
BHPian

Note: My view below is only on the pricing, not discounting the fact that it looks a very competent product.

With all the Due Respect to Tata Brand, I think for the very first time Tata
has messed up on the pricing of this product with all the leverage it has upon

a) Steel Price (Tata Group Supplier- Corus/Tata Steel)
b) Component Prices (Tata Group suppliers- Tata TACO)
c) Engineering Services Prices (Tata Technologies/INCAT/TCS)
d) IT Services prices (TCS )
e) Access to High End Technology (J-LR)
f) Economies of Scale (Export of these vehicle as opposed to CBU/CKD imports by MNC players)
g) Inhouse Engine Capability and technologies.

This has led to me to start believing that; its the M&M which is truly a world class Indian Auto player in Passenger vehicles and Not TATA.

If TML has used all its resources propoerly it would have surely made it possible to launch bang in the Innova segment adjusting the prices for the extra features it offers.

though i have no plans to buy an SUV in near future but from pure Auto-enthusiast's point of view its a lurking disaster from Tatas. Hope i am wrong.

Last edited by anu21v : 12th October 2010 at 12:25.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:29   #56
BHPian

Where do I sign for an Innova (SRS)

Negs:
-Need for AWD in a MPV
-Pricing
-Quality
-Reliability

Last edited by Torque-ative : 12th October 2010 at 12:31.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the most detailed review of the Aria, guys!
Did Tata divulge their sales targets with this one? How many do they intend to sell per month?

The vehicle has sure got a road presence. The front looks awesome! Let's wait and see the market reaction to this one.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:42   #58
BHPian

Rehaan and GTO thank you for putting this great review. It is a very detailed review and informative review.

I know that I cannot afford Tata Aria as it is out of my budget but I would like to give full credit to Tata Motors in trying to establish itself in Luxury segment.

It is very important for Tata that the world recognizes it as a mass car maker as well a luxury car maker ala VW,Toyota, Honda, Nisaan.

This was good opportunity for Tata to be a game changer and launch its own luxury Marque (with separate A.S.S) and launch Aria as a luxury Mini Van. They should have included (in addition to the host of features) electronically operated sliding doors (just like Honda Odyssey which sells in US) instead of standard pull open rear doors.

Currently I feel the customer may be reluctant to spend that much money on Tata.

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 12th October 2010 at 12:49.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:43   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Echoing the others' about a good review, Rehaan & Rush. What is off-putting is Tata's attempt to enter a segment they've not touched yet, with a test vehicle that reeks of corner-cutting - patched-up carpets, wide panel gaps, and not allowing a full-fledged road test to showcase not-yet-available-in-India features like full-time 4WD, TC and ESP.

The Indian perception is that any 4WD is an off-roader, but this one certainly is not - it's a soft-roader at best, despite the huge 200mm GC. There is no low-ratio transfer case available in the Aria.

A few quick technical questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Adapterra AWD system capable of supplying as much as 45% torque to the front wheels (when required). Otherwise, it runs as a RWD
The engine appears to be transversely mounted, so one would expect front-wheel-drive with torque transfer to the rear wheels when loss of traction occurs for the front wheels - however, you state the reverse, i.e. rear drive with torque transfer to front wheels in case the rears lose grip. Could you please reconfirm on the driveline setup again?

Does Tata mention that the 4x2 (turning off the 4x4 torque transfer system)option helps to save fuel and improve FE?

Is there an option (switch) to turn off the ESP and traction control systems as well?
Old 12th October 2010, 12:51   #60
BHPian

I'm wondering how Tata Motors got the guts to launch such a product when their existing Service stations are over loaded beyond limits and offer poor A.S.S experience. I just couldn't imagine a 17lakh rupee car getting serviced in a Tata Service station.

Most Viewed