Old 27th December 2010, 13:24   #571
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Bonnet and windshield. also bonnet and the side flange etc
I thought the gaps were quite wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The only place that I've seen an immense gap is in between the bonnet and the bottom of the windshield (near the A-pillar). Not sure if the panel gaps are generally wide/yawning because it hasn't been particularly pointed out by other testers. Can anyone confirm?

Yes - the DC modified Innova interior has to be seen to be believed. In terms of sheer plush-ness and comfort that is really very good indeed.
Seriously, DC?

Yes - agreed. But I still would hesitate to pay 19 plus lacs for a Tata vehicle. Iam not comfortable in my mind with that.
There is a LOT more than just 4x4 that'd be missing, as has been pointed out numerous times before.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th December 2010 at 19:35.
Old 27th December 2010, 14:40   #572
Senior - BHPian

These gaps are by design. If you look at some recent car designs will exhibit these gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Bonnet and windshield. also bonnet and the side flange etc
I thought the gaps were quite wide.
Old 27th December 2010, 15:17   #573
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

any idea what the purpose of this design is?
could it be to allow water to drain off more easily or something of that kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
These gaps are by design. If you look at some recent car designs will exhibit these gaps.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:15   #574
Senior - BHPian

I have no knowledge about the purpose.
I could comment that these gaps are of general nature, because when my brother got the Aria delivered, all the Aria's that we checked had these gaps. Even this official review thread has a picture of it in the first few pages.

Other car designs that I think have the same scheme are : New Merc E & C class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
any idea what the purpose of this design is?
could it be to allow water to drain off more easily or something of that kind?
Old 29th December 2010, 01:08   #575
BHPian

These gaps are on Account of the Pedastrian safety under NCAP, the gap under bonnet helps in case of car to human accident, it give bonnet some extra clearnce to soak the shock, this helps better rating in NCAP I guess

Quote:
I have no knowledge about the purpose.
I could comment that these gaps are of general nature, because when my brother got the Aria delivered, all the Aria's that we checked had these gaps. Even this official review thread has a picture of it in the first few pages.

Other car designs that I think have the same scheme are : New Merc E & C class.
Old 29th December 2010, 01:21   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy View Post
These gaps are on Account of the Pedastrian safety under NCAP, the gap under bonnet helps in case of car to human accident, it give bonnet some extra clearnce to soak the shock, this helps better rating in NCAP I guess
Very interesting. Till now a few have observed the gap to be another lapse in TML quality control.

I wonder why these are not highlighted in either the brochure or in the web site.
Old 5th January 2011, 10:29   #577
BHPian

Quote:
How will these gaps help in wind noise and drag coefficient? The only possible +ve side to it could be the ease of fitments at the factory . They should not be "by design" but in the "known issues" category (as we often refer to bugs in software industry)
Old 5th January 2011, 12:34   #578
BHPian

Yes this is a good discussion regarding gaps, I don't think its for Any Safety Or for Better NCAP Rating. These gaps give the feeling that the car is not well put together at all.

Even if I believe its for Safety of Pedestrian's I am sure, its not by design. rather its by design error.

But one think I want to understand. How much time dose it take to recalibrate the dice by few MM here and there, to ensure this Gaps look better and feel better.

I for one don't like to run my hand an a Beautiful Car and find it to be uneven or for that matter filled with large uneven cracks.

TATA is not a small company, and know around the World for a lot of GOOD Reasons, Why can't they just ensure they improve these small Irritants.
Old 5th January 2011, 15:05   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
How will these gaps help in wind noise and drag coefficient? The only possible +ve side to it could be the ease of fitments at the factory . They should not be "by design" but in the "known issues" category (as we often refer to bugs in software industry)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Yes this is a good discussion regarding gaps, I don't think its for Any Safety Or for Better NCAP Rating. These gaps give the feeling that the car is not well put together at all.

Even if I believe its for Safety of Pedestrian's I am sure, its not by design. rather its by design error.

But one think I want to understand. How much time dose it take to recalibrate the dice by few MM here and there, to ensure this Gaps look better and feel better.

I for one don't like to run my hand an a Beautiful Car and find it to be uneven or for that matter filled with large uneven cracks.

TATA is not a small company, and know around the World for a lot of GOOD Reasons, Why can't they just ensure they improve these small Irritants.
These seem to be more of design gaps , I have seen the Aria and the Manza closely these gaps look horrible, and if they are by design then I guess Tata would be introducing the same in the Rover range of vehicles soon since the current avtars do not show this revolutionary safety features.

Whatever the reviews say personally it is a no buy for me at such a high price.
Old 5th January 2011, 16:27   #580
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Was informed that the gap between the fender and the bonette is indeed a design for better safety (not of the car occupants) but the common man who gets knocked down onto the bonnet.

It helps in a better rating and meeting of international regulations. The same design is seen in the Vista, Manza and the Aria.
Old 5th January 2011, 17:04   #581
BHPian

Am still waiting for the test drive of the Aria

Don't know what kind of mechanism of feedback is available, i had requested for one on the website, which was answered by Concorde Motors in Blore..

Excuse after excuse has followed & the test drive vehicle is nowhere to be seen. Every time a different person calls committing that a vehicle will be sent but nothing happens on that day. Have given up & not expecting a vehicle to be sent.

Today received another call from Concorde asking when can they send the TD vehicle !

If this is the case for a test drive, wonder how will they treat a customer when they come for service !!!
Old 5th January 2011, 19:07   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
These seem to be more of design gaps , I have seen the Aria and the Manza closely these gaps look horrible, and if they are by design then I guess Tata would be introducing the same in the Rover range of vehicles soon since the current avtars do not show this revolutionary safety features.
Sorry to pop your bubble. But when they are as expensive as a LR/Jag they use pop-up bonnets or (bonnets with 'domes') thus avoiding such gaps. With the steep lines that Aria has dome might have been too ugly and pop-ups are too expensive for this class and target markets.
Old 6th January 2011, 09:08   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Was informed that the gap between the fender and the bonette is indeed a design for better safety (not of the car occupants) but the common man who gets knocked down onto the bonnet.

It helps in a better rating and meeting of international regulations. The same design is seen in the Vista, Manza and the Aria.
For all the argument and discussion lets agree that the gaps are for the sake of Safety to the pedestrian's!!!
But they can still make it look and feel better, rather then Vague.

That's what I wish TATA does. Bring in consistency across the complete Car. make it feel worth 15+Lakhs / Premium. Which could actually add to the look of the car.

PS. I loved your ownership review of the Aria.
Old 6th January 2011, 10:03   #584
BHPian

Surprisingly I haven't seen even one Aria on the Mumbai or Pune roads. Are Tata's facing some issues in supplies?
Old 6th January 2011, 10:32   #585
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Palio 2005 - only about 550 have been shipped till dec end so visibility would be low, possibly a lot of the owners desire a Jan 2011 manufactured car, so we will know true numbers in Jan/ feb.

Rajchetan - Thanks, Somehow the bonnet to fender gap has not really struck me as too large since they are uniform through the lenght, but obviously it's not viewed the same way by all and unless more vehicels use this styling, TATA may have to relook at it next time round, but lest not expect a newer family design for the next 5 years at least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks