Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2017, 22:35   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Oh well. First highway trip. And during the first pit stop, saw some smoke from the bonnet. Seemed to come from the AC compressor near the pulley. Switched ac off and drove and it was fine. Smoke was back in a big way within a couple of KMS of switching it back on. Drove it back home to play safe - drives perfectly ok without the AC (and the mid-range is seriously good!)

Any ideas what to check for? Have accounted for a couple of fixes for a used Tata. Fingers crossed - hopefully it's just a loose hose or some such.
Seems like a short circuit somewhere. Can be as simple as a wire or joint needing extra insulation tape. Can be complicated. Get it diagnosed asap.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 22:44   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Seems like a short circuit somewhere. Can be as simple as a wire or joint needing extra insulation tape. Can be complicated. Get it diagnosed asap.
There was a wire going in there, indeed. But that much an smoke from a shorted cable? Will get it checked - thanks!
Old 5th February 2017, 01:54   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was a wire going in there, indeed. But that much an smoke from a shorted cable? Will get it checked - thanks!
I suggest you get a thorough diagnostic check at TASS. (I should've suggested the same before.) I mean like, immediately! Avoid driving around before you get it checked.

Does the car have extended warranty ? Read up the service history & check what has been carried out except scheduled maintenance.

Such scares are why I said, it isn't worth it if the price isn't a steal. Anyway, don't worry, could be a minor thing, else the ECU would've put the car into limp mode.
Old 5th February 2017, 02:37   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A similar issue cropped up in my Scorpio a few weeks back. Insulation had peeled off a wire and was causing a short. The location was near the engine, which incidentally had a bit of oil on it. The moment I would put the car into ignition, the engine bay would start to smoke. I took help of a roadside mechanic. He was able to isolate the fault in a couple of minutes. He just taped the offending wire with Steelgrip and the problem was solved.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 09:44   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
A similar issue cropped up in my Scorpio a few weeks back. Insulation had peeled off a wire and was causing a short. The location was near the engine, which incidentally had a bit of oil on it. The moment I would put the car into ignition, the engine bay would start to smoke. I took help of a roadside mechanic. He was able to isolate the fault in a couple of minutes. He just taped the offending wire with Steelgrip and the problem was solved.
I'm hoping it's that minor

Does anyone know if Concorde works on Sunday? ALL their numbers on the page - including the 24 hour helpline mobile numbers - are not connecting/valid numbers/switched off.
Old 5th February 2017, 12:59   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh well. First highway trip. And during the first pit stop, saw some smoke from the bonnet. Seemed to come from the AC compressor near the pulley. Switched ac off and drove and it was fine. Smoke was back in a big way within a couple of KMS of switching it back on...
Sound like a water pump leak. Get it checked.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 13:28   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Sound like a water pump leak. Get it checked.
What other symptoms would that cause?

Checked this morning - the belt seems to have slipped off, so the A/C isn't working, but no smoke and no other issues in the car running. Someone advised replacing all the belts anyway, give it's a 60k km, 4+ year old Tata.
Old 5th February 2017, 15:52   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What other symptoms would that cause?

Checked this morning - the belt seems to have slipped off, so the A/C isn't working, but no smoke and no other issues in the car running. Someone advised replacing all the belts anyway, give it's a 60k km, 4+ year old Tata.
Had got into a similar situation in my 2.2, hence the observation. Drove for close to 450 kms after the smoke scare. Got the water pump and timing belt changed after that.

And the reason this happened was because the vehicle was not used for sometime. A regularly used vehicle will not have this issue, as per TASS.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 18:31   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Got it - for a much lower price
Congrats on your purchase! Happy motoring for many more kms!!!
Read your posts on the issue you are facing. Would be good to replace the parts as mentioned by @HappyWheels. Also, best to drive it around on a daily basis for a few more days, to identify and fix any niggles

PS: Did the Pure variant come equipped with ABS (and which was later removed, in the Pure LX)?
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 21:54   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Happy motoring for many more kms!!!
Read your posts on the issue you are facing. Would be good to replace the parts as mentioned by @HappyWheels. Also, best to drive it around on a daily basis for a few more days, to identify and fix any niggles

PS: Did the Pure variant come equipped with ABS (and which was later removed, in the Pure LX)?
Thanks! The belt got cut and came off - so I'm suspecting a loose belt for now. Yep - intend to figure stuff out and fix soon - I think this has a few years left in it easily. Fingers crossed
Old 6th February 2017, 15:48   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! The belt got cut and came off - so I'm suspecting a loose belt for now. Yep - intend to figure stuff out and fix soon - I think this has a few years left in it easily. Fingers crossed
Check if the compressor motor is jammed and heating up. My compressor motor was replaced around 60k.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 16:34   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Check if the compressor motor is jammed and heating up. My compressor motor was replaced around 60k.
Ouch! How much of a hit is that likely to be? Have asked the workshop to change all belts anyway.
Old 6th February 2017, 16:57   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Ouch! How much of a hit is that likely to be? Have asked the workshop to change all belts anyway.
It was replaced under extended warranty in my case. My guess(or the impression that I got) is that it will be well within 10k.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 18:57   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
It was replaced under extended warranty in my case. My guess(or the impression that I got) is that it will be well within 10k.
Looks like it's the same - the pulley seems jammed and isn't turning. Checking if it can be repaired, else will have to replace :/
Old 6th February 2017, 19:40   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like it's the same - the pulley seems jammed and isn't turning. Checking if it can be repaired, else will have to replace :/
Please inquire about the "Recon" facility with TASS, if replacement is the only option that remains. That will help save a decent sum on the compressor
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed