Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 16:27   #136
BHPian

The Ground Clearance of the T Jet is better than the older MJD's. In fact got to see and compare the same side by side my dad's ANHC. I am sure there wouldnt be many underbody scrapings in this one! The car feels like a rocket to drive! However, the seats are a let down! Though leather clad now, I found them rock hard..FIAT may please look at the softer issues.

It may sound pre-mature to point out about the dealership experience, but it certainly deserves a mention. After checking out a few dealers in Delhi for a Test Drive, almost all of them refused to get the car to my house in the heart of South Delhi. However, when I called Autolinks at Hauz Khas, one Mr. Virendra promptly responded and agreed to send the test car home almost immediately. While, I wasnt in a position to try it out due to other preoccupations, they followed up again on their own on the subsequent day and sent the TD car at EOD around 7pm. I was impressed their attitude! None else were as entusiastic! The sales staff Mr. Himanshu also explained the niceties well and seem to have the facts byheart! Am sold on it!

Last edited by sandeep.mishra : 21st October 2010 at 16:30.
Old 21st October 2010, 16:38   #137

Completely agree with you there. Since I drive a Baleno, I end up comparing every car I test drive with it and I was quite happy with the rear seat space offered by the T Jet. My wife found it quick roomy and preferred it to the Vanto and City's rear seats. Its only when you sit behind a fully pushed back driver's seat do you start feeling a little uncomfortable.

The last edition of ACI had a comparison of the Vento D, Linea MJD, Fiesta 1.4 TDCI and Verna CRDI and had a nice graphic comparing the dimensions of these cars including the seating space. It showed that the Linea did have more leg room than the Vento, though head space was lesser. I'll try and scan and post it tomorrow.

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2010 at 17:48. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 21st October 2010, 16:39   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What you'll like:

• A+ braking capability. All-round disc brakes a segment first
Excellent review GTO! 5 STAR all the way

If possible we should keep all our Official TEST drive reports in a separate section for easy access. (feedback i received from some of my office folks, who doesn't have an account in forum but regular visitors)

NHC VTEC were coming with All-round disc brakes. I don't know why Honda Removed it from current version, May come back in Final version ( 5th Year) of ANHC

Last edited by vvvinod : 21st October 2010 at 16:42.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:08   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk View Post
The inside of the nut appears to be coated too. It is possible that it could be to fit a carrier or something like that (bicycle carrier, police flasher cluster, etc.) .
This is there in my Punto too. I guess it is not 'part falling off' but some provision to fit some accessory, I don't know what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@Acidkill: Going by his replies in the thread, the ANHC is faster in a straight line, but as an overall performance/driver's vehicle the Linea is the best in the segment due to its superior ride/handling combination.
Also, the car should be rolled out in other metro's soon. I guess Fiat is just trying to take it step by step, by launching the Linea in those cities with the revamped dealerships.
I too think so. ANHC can be now be smoked with a Linea T-Jet in real life situations - read as: our not-so straight roads.

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2010 at 17:49. Reason: We know enough of how you've smoked quicker cars. Kindly keep such comments in rein
Old 21st October 2010, 17:46   #140
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Better drivers car? - Honda City or Linea 1.4 Turbo?
The T-Jet. Fiat has raised the (driving pleasure) bar incredibly high with this car. It even beats the Fiesta 1.6 for corner-carving grins.

Quote:
2. Any side chat with the guys at Fiat on the status of the 1.6 MJD diesel?
Nope. I am not aware of any plans in the near future.

Quote:
3. Is the car going to be rolled out in the southern metros?
In a matter of weeks, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
Would you recomend replacing the stock shifter with a 'short-shifter'. Can it be done on the Tjet and will it improve the overall feel of the drive (for the enthusiast)?
A short-shifter isn't everyone's cup of tea. For one, the gearshift could require higher effort. Second, the Linea is anyways geared for long-armed Italians and I feel a shorter gear lever could mess up ergonomics.

A Vento-petrol like shift in the T-Jet would be bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Also, I would not be surprised if Fiat gets us some special edition T-Jet (similar to S10 campaign).
Isn't this a special edition enough? All wheel disc brakes, turbo-charger and leather seats? The rear disc brakes make it a better "special edition" than the S10 ever was IMO.

Quote:
Still I need to understand the maintenance overhead of Turbo. Can anyone please share their experience?
- Regular oil changes
- Idle for 45 - 60 seconds before driving off
- Idle for 45 - 60 seconds after a drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
If possible we should keep all our Official TEST drive reports in a separate section for easy access. (feedback i received from some of my office folks, who doesn't have an account in forum but regular visitors)
This will be implemented in the 1st week of November, thanks!
Old 21st October 2010, 18:04   #141
BHPian

GTO,
Your review and response to different queries is pushing me to look towards upgrading to TJet now (I currently own 1.4 Petrol Linea).
But my experience with Linea suggest, wait for the Tjet to settle down in the market and close all the issue which comes when the car is newly launched(similar to the issues that appeared in almost all Linea including mine when it was launched last year).

Its something like 'Doodh ka jalaa chaach bhi phook phook kar peeta hai'.
Old 21st October 2010, 18:31   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What on earth is the purpose of that screw hole then? It really sticks out like a sore thumb.
Its for mounting bike rack or luggage carrier
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-70ac_2.jpg  

Old 21st October 2010, 19:17   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
GTO,
Your review and response to different queries is pushing me to look towards upgrading to TJet now (I currently own 1.4 Petrol Linea).
But my experience with Linea suggest, wait for the Tjet to settle down in the market and close all the issue which comes when the car is newly launched(similar to the issues that appeared in almost all Linea including mine when it was launched last year).

Its something like 'Doodh ka jalaa chaach bhi phook phook kar peeta hai'.
I dont think that should be a problem as all the issues with the Linea and Punto were never with the engine or mechanicals. The issues were more with levers, switches, chrome beading, etc which are same with the current Linea and T-jet & i'm guessing are more or less sorted out now.
Old 22nd October 2010, 02:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:
And well deserved, I'd say. The T-jet is a true enthusiasts' car, the Punto 90 was hardly quick. The T-Jet has the performance to match the best from its segment.

We have to understand where these cars are coming from : Europe. Cars are primarily self-driven, with little importance given to the back seat. Consider the long list of European cars that offered sub-par rear bench space (relative to their segment):

VW Polo
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Skoda Octavia
Skoda Laura
Fiat Punto
Fiat Linea
Mercedes C Class
BMW 320d

The list goes on. There are a mere handful of exceptions, like the Skoda Superb, and the Vento (which isn't even sold in proper Europe BTW).

Says who? A K&N stock replacement will lead to 0.xx increase in power. If you want a noticeable improvement, the best basic mods are:

- Performance exhaust
- Remap
+1 on the european cars with absolutely horrible back seats!
though i didn't find swift to be too spacious either. the OHC also ain't too comfortable at the rear. though you end up realising that over a long drive.
since other cars are getting named, i think most comfortable hatchback at the rear would be an indica/vista IMO.

and i guess you got me wrong at the K&N filter part. I had mentioned don't expect a whooping performance increase. anyways, I had installed a K&N stock filter in my OHC, and the performance increase was noticeable. though not much but still. and the car surprisingly also started giving better fuel efficiency. 15. something with a/c on, on the highway in regular speeds over 100 odd kmph. maybe i am lucky OR the car has been maintained well even after 2 lac plus kms on the odo.

would like to know onething though. could understand why a turbo vehicle should be idled for 45-60 seconds when starting off, but couldn't quiet understand why is that required before shutting off. i mean won't the turbo have the lubrication before shutting off the engine?
also is it necessary to do it for each start stop? i mean what if there is a stop of just few minutes, then too are we supposed to idle the engine?
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:39   #145
Senior - BHPian

Waiting to test drive the T-Jet in Bangalore. I might just be the first one to test drive a T-Jet in Bangy!!!

If all goes well, my Dad wants to buy a T-Jet!!
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:44   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Waiting to test drive the T-Jet in Bangalore. I might just be the first one to test drive a T-Jet in Bangy!!!

If all goes well, my Dad wants to buy a T-Jet!!
Is it available in B'lore already?? If yes, can you share the dealership details where you are getting this test drive? We are looking to buy something new soon and a T-jet would be nice to check out.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:35   #147
Senior - BHPian

It is pretty sad that T jet is not available in Kolkata. But I believe its just a matter of time. However no matter hot much praise GTO has for the T-Jet it will be a difficult buy for someone (90% customers) who spends 90% time in congested cities. Even enthusiasts may prefer Vento diesel for city driving.
According to GTO
-Significant turbo lag (Actually how bad is the turbo lag? Polo 1.2??)
-Rubbery gearshift
-Large turning radius
-Below avg FE
Even for the highway runs one may prefer Vento just for the sake of running cost. So IMHO there will be only a handful of customers (Like GTO) who will opt the T-Jet.

Also the bar raised by fiat may be further raised by New fiesta. I heard it handles even better than the existing one. Too bad they are not planning for any Turbo.

The 1.6L Diesel of Linea will be something to look out for. 320 Nm of torque on Paper sounds unbelievable. With that engine and may be an AT the line up will be complete. I would not be surprised if that beats the hell out of Honda city.
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:04   #148
e46
BHPian

Linea unleashed!!

Awesome and in-depth review as usual by GTO. The Tjet is what the doc prescribed, to instill a fresh lease of life into the power lacking Linea.

I am waiting to see the sales figure of Fiat in the next 3 months, vis a vis Honda.

Thanks,
Abhishek
Old 23rd October 2010, 12:22   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Awesome and in-depth review as usual by GTO. The Tjet is what the doc prescribed, to instill a fresh lease of life into the power lacking Linea.

I am waiting to see the sales figure of Fiat in the next 3 months, vis a vis Honda.

Thanks,
Abhishek
The T-Jet will definitely increase volumes, however, don't expect a sudden surge in sales. Fiat's low sales are not on account of its products but due to poorly managed Tata-Fiat dealer network.
Its seems like Linea outsells SX4, Verna & Fiesta in Mumbai/Pune, but in rest of the country it hardly has any presence - fact of the matter is that currently Fiat is doing good in cities where it enjoyed a decent brand image (Mum, Pune, B'lore, Chennai).
Old 23rd October 2010, 14:09   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post

Ok, how many of you current linea owners would have paid extra and gone for the t-jet?
I would have . However, my Linea is now Re-mapped (few weeks before T-jet launch) and i have test-driven the T-jet.

My Re-mapped N.A. 1.4 Linea packs a lot of punch and is no pushover compared to the T-jet.

I loved the Tjet and it surely is a Joy to drive. But i would not say that the N.A Linea was under-powered or that my re-mapped Linea lacks any power when it matters . Especially the mid-range torque has improved by leaps and bounds and i just cant get my feet off the accelerator on the highways. (have clocked 34000km in 18months of ownership...4000km after re-mapping)

Iam not considering the Tjet anymore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks