Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2013, 22:21   #1486
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
The sales person I spoke to indicated the display of the reverse camera will be fitted over the inside rear view mirror. That would be very bulky. I thought they would just replace the mirror and fit something like the one in Verna. Please share user experience and photo of the accessory when you fit it. Existing users may also kindly share.
The other option would be to go for something like the Caska head unit which would integrate the reverse camera display into the ICE unit , but that would mean goodbye to OEM ICE, Blue&Me, steering controls and all that jazz.

I'd personally stay away from messing around with the stock mirror setup. I'd say stick to the clip-on-mirror type display - since the reverse display mirrors are usually bigger than the IRVM, you get a wider view of what's behind your car. The only issue with this clip-on mirror display (apart from losing day/night switch functionality) is the possibility of rattles on bad roads. I sometimes had this rattling issue on the Punto, and I just used a small piece of 3M double sided tape to firmly secure the display mirror onto the OEM mirror surface, in addition to the clips. Works perfectly now without any fuss.

Last edited by KarthikK : 6th July 2013 at 22:41.
Old 6th July 2013, 22:29   #1487
BHPian

I would neither like to lose day / night functionality of OEM mirror nor mess with centre console. Is there something you could mount on dash just like satnav displays, preferably genuine Fiat accessory?
Old 6th July 2013, 22:46   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Thanks everybody. Decision made: it will be the T-Jet Emotion for me!

I need your help with respect to the accessories required. I know at least the reverse camera is much needed; any tips on brand / model?

I need to go through the PDI checklist and the VIN thread now.
Many congrats man. Best car in this price range and above. Absolutely stonker. You will love it

I did not install a camera, but reverse parking sensors and a clip-on mirror (will post pictures tomorrow); it works great for me. Big mirror, wide coverage, and of course the rear sensors.
Old 6th July 2013, 22:47   #1489
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would neither like to lose day / night functionality of OEM mirror nor mess with centre console. Is there something you could mount on dash just like satnav displays, preferably genuine Fiat accessory?
That should be possible, just that the additional display might stick out like a sore thumb if affixed to the top of the dash. Here's another alternative - most GPS devices, especially the high-end ones from MapMyIndia, support AV out to which the reverse camera wire can be fed into. Since most of these GPS devices come with windshield mounts, there's no damage to the dash either, but there might be a few wires sticking out here and there. Maybe there's a wireless option too. Let me check and get back on this thread. One of my acquintances is using something like this on his Linea.

Fiat unfortunately does not have any genuine accessory in this camera category. They do have genuine sensors though, but they just produce sound beeps, no distance display. In fact, this is what I am using on my T-Jet right now

Last edited by KarthikK : 6th July 2013 at 22:54.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 01:41   #1490
Senior - BHPian

Pete's Tuned! 140bhp & 250Nm !

Pay 9ish lac, get a TjeT. Visit Pete's and make it 140bhp/250Nm.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2749873&type=1
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-1025879_543489962374273_898535314_o.jpg  

Old 7th July 2013, 08:22   #1491
BHPian

Re: Pete's Tuned! 140bhp & 250Nm !

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Morning Folks!

In today's news, Pete's has released a stage 1 remap for the T-Jet with figures of 140 BHP & 250 NM.

Time to go mental
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Pay 9ish lac, get a TjeT. Visit Pete's and make it 140bhp/250Nm.
News already out yesterday. Main thing I want to know how the remaps usually work. Do they need fine tuning usually? Would it be wise getting it done if you are an oustation customer and can't possibly bring the car back should it run into problems..
Old 7th July 2013, 09:03   #1492
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pete's Tuned! 140bhp & 250Nm !

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
News already out yesterday. Main thing I want to know how the remaps usually work. Do they need fine tuning usually? Would it be wise getting it done if you are an oustation customer and can't possibly bring the car back should it run into problems..
Usually manufacturers restrict or limit full performance levels of the vehicle taking into account fuel quality or the possibility of users not maintaining/servicing vehicles properly, etc. Remapping will lift these restrictions by directly altering the ECU map values, plus the tuner will usually sit with you and tune the map according to what you are looking for - more low-end grunt, more linear delivery, more high-end push, etc.

In most cases, remaps are very much done within the safe tolerance limits of the engine, so there should be no direct or drastic long-term effect. In fact, because the remaps are done keeping in mind all the parameters (as opposed to tuning boxes which just fool the ECU by altering a few sensor values), remaps are a much safer option than plug-and-play tuning boxes. You can continue to use and service the vehicle normally, without anyone even noticing. Tuners will keep a copy of the OEM map in case you ever want to switch back to stock map, so the 'modding' is always reversible.

The reason why most people don't readily go for remaps on new cars is because the ECU flash counter will get updated everytime the maps are re-flashed, and if the owner faces any major issue and tries for warranty cover, this check on the OBD device (for ECU tampering) can give service stations a bonus reason to decline claims. If the car is out of warranty period, you are free to play around, you have nothing to lose anyway .

On your other doubt - if you ever run into problems after the remap, the person you will visit should be your tuner, not the service station . If I'm not mistaken, Tune-O-Tronics also has a 150bhp remap for the T-Jet. I've been hearing about their exemplary customer service (they come to your home and tune the map for you, plus offer lifetime support or something like that) and honestly I will go with them rather than Pete's, considering Pete's has always been a bit pricey as per the general feedback. Perhaps we should continue the remap discussion on a more relevant thread.

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th July 2013 at 09:17.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 10:19   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Delivery expected today , all goes well i should be in my own jet by the evening.

@TheTeacher , congrats on the decision and the buy , which color did you go with?
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 10:38   #1494
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I booked my Jet Emotion yesterday. Waiting for the day now In the meanwhile, I want to prepare a check list for pre-registration inspection/PDI. I have gone through the PDF available here on the forum, but want to know if I should add anything specific to Linea. Could someone help me out, please?
Old 7th July 2013, 10:49   #1495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeda View Post
Hi BHPians,

I booked my Jet Emotion yesterday. Waiting for the day now In the meanwhile, I want to prepare a check list for pre-registration inspection/PDI. I have gone through the PDF available here on the forum, but want to know if I should add anything specific to Linea. Could someone help me out, please?
Apart from the regular stuff, check for uneven panel gaps between headlamps and bonnet, and between tail lamps and boot. Lineas were famous for these gaps. Adjustments if required can be done by the showroom personnel prior to delivery. They are trivial issues but cosmetic nonetheless.

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th July 2013 at 10:56.
Old 7th July 2013, 10:52   #1496
BHPian

Thanks all.

Guite, I haven't booked it yet, the decision has been made. The wife also liked the feel and ride of the Linea, so that was half the battle won (she's petite and doesn't like the feeling of sitting in a deep well). I will go today to book if I can (have some other commitments). Else will go tomorrow (Monday).

I don't know what kind of reverse camera the dealership has, and don't know if a 3rd party product will be better. I too am relying on the existing Linea owners here to guide me. Considering it has a big behind, I think it is the first accessory I would install on an urgent basis.

I might want to change the OEM tyres, get some 3M work (again relying on owners here for advice)

Half the accessories on Fiat's website don't have a description, and the photo shows a whole car or the inside front, and I don't have a clue what the accessory being peddled is.
Old 7th July 2013, 10:54   #1497
Senior - BHPian

This is not mine and is the normal linea but just to give a reference on what the color looks like in real life. Its definitely not light blue which was my main apprehension with the color but its not all the way to the dark end of the spectrum either. But like i wrote earlier it does tend to grow on you.

My preference was always the tuscan wine because i felt that the interior color was best in contrast with the wine , but this is ofcourse all a personal decision.

by the way - to everyone buying the car - remote controls are available with the T-Jet if you have taken the relevant model. i cross checked with fiat and i will be getting mine with the car so dont let them tell you otherwise.

Quote:

Color certainly will not be Hip Hop Black or Tuscan Wine. Oceanic Blue? Don't know, have to see one first. Leaning towards Minimal Grey or New Pearl White.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Congrats on your decision to own the Jet!

For the Oceanic Blue, puchoo sire, come to the rescue! :lol
Even I would love to see the Linea in Oceanic Blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-20130615_163029.jpg  

puchoo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 13:00   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
I might want to change the OEM tyres, get some 3M work (again relying on owners here for advice).
Even though I haven't finalised yet, I am already thinking about the tyres. Heck, I may even get the Emotion variant and then (try to) trade in the 16" alloy for 15" alloy and then fit higher profile tyre (highlighted in red) for more comfortable ride. Bear in mind I am not ever going to do hard cornering. So hopefully the higher side wall will not have any other detrimental effect.

Someone might ask why not just buy Dynamic and get leather seats separately. My premise is that the Emotion variant's speedo et al are already calibrated for the bigger tyre, so the tyre I have highlighted in red is very close match in terms of overall diameter and circumference to stock tyre of Emotion variant.

Another option is buy Dynamic and fit tyres matching overall size as that of Emotion. Two benefits: more comfortable ride (hopefully), and less gap in wheel well. The moot question is: can the service centre recaliberate settings to what exists in the Emotion variant?

My line of thought are not always inline with the general trend here, so please bear with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-image.jpg  

Old 7th July 2013, 17:04   #1499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even though I haven't finalised yet, I am already thinking about the tyres. Heck, I may even get the Emotion variant and then (try to) trade in the 16" alloy for 15" alloy and then fit higher profile tyre (highlighted in red) for more comfortable ride. Bear in mind I am not ever going to do hard cornering. So hopefully the higher side wall will not have any other detrimental effect.
Another option is buy Dynamic and fit tyres matching overall size as that of Emotion. Two benefits: more comfortable ride (hopefully), and less gap in wheel well. The moot question is: can the service centre recaliberate settings to what exists in the Emotion variant?

My line of thought are not always inline with the general trend here, so please bear with me.
Guite, the ride quality difference between 205/55R16 and 195/60R15 is not really perceptible so much, so my opinion is it is not required to downsize the tyres or swap alloys after buying an Emotion variant, or upsize the Dynamic version's tyres to 195/65R15. You would be wasting a lot of money and effort on a very negligible difference. 195/65 is quite an awkward size by the way.

For a more comfortable ride and cushioned feel, simply get the Emotion variant with 205/55R16 tyres and swap the OEM Goodyear Eagle NCT5s for Michelin Primacy LCs of the same size. Alternatively, Yokohama has an equivalent product called AVS DB550 in the same size, but the silence and cushioned ride are still better in the Primacy LC. The cost differential would work out to approximately 2000 bucks per tyre when you swap new tyres straight out of the showroom (~7500 for new Goodyear Eagles if I remember correctly, v/s 9500 for Primacy LCs), so you get yourself 5 Michelin shoes for ~10 grand and enjoy the supreme ride comfort. This way, there is no need to worry about all the speedo recalibration or sidewall height and wheel diameter calculations

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th July 2013 at 17:08.
Old 7th July 2013, 17:10   #1500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeda View Post
Hi BHPians,

Many congrats for booking the best drivers car south of 10 Lacs and believe me, it is better than many cars above that price range.

Specific to Fiat cars, I think you should be aware of one thing.

The odometer reading should come with an H symbol. It signifies temporary odometer and it will continue till 200 kms. Once 200 km is reached, the H symbol will disappear and the actual kms will appear on the multi-information display (MID). The odometer can be reset whilst the H is appearing. However, resetting it will cause the H to disappear and the the meter to start from 0 kms. Ideally the car should have less than 50 km with H.

I am attaching a picture from my PDI for your information.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_0369-large.jpg  

johy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks