Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:27   #1756
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

I choose Tuscan Wine colour and informed to Aadya Motors today. Waiting period is 30 days as cars are manufactured upon receiving an order. They have a white Tjet Emotion in stock and any one interested can talk to them.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:45   #1757
BHPian

I picked up a pre-worshipped T-Jet about a week ago and seeing the mileage discussions on this thread, thought will ask for some advice from the Linea experts.

My MID is stuck between 7.2 to 8kmpl with 100%AC in Bangalore's bumper to bumper traffic. And this is with moderate driving -I rarely, if ever, let her drop off the turbo zone and rarely get a chance to take her above 3.5k rpm either. I use engine braking quite extensively and prefer to brake only at a hump for example.This is by far the lowest mileage I have got of any car I have driven!

However, when I took her out this Sunday on much emptier roads compared to usual, and took her all the way to 6K+ rpm repeatedly, I got 10kmpl. Looks like she doesn't like to be driven slow at all!

For comparison;
I get 11-12kmpl in my 2011 City with 100% AC in bumper to bumper traffic. Much higher(14-15) on less congested roads and around 9kmpl if I rev her nuts off.
I get 9-10kmpl in my 2010 Fiesta 1.6 (with remap n other mods) in bumper to bumper traffic with 100% AC. I get 8-9kmpl if I rev her nuts off. I don't know what she gives when driven sedately on open roads because she has never had to go through that.

What surprised me was that I expected a turbo-petrol to be more efficient than at least my Fiesta. Not sure if it is a matter of me still adjusting to the car's powerband and gear-engine combo or what else.

So seeing as others here also quoted 7-8kmpl, has anyone verified this by tankful-to-tankful method? Is this a case of the MID being overly enthusiastic showing you the consumption? Or being plain bonkers seeing as it showed me 10kmpl when driven hard?
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:36   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
I picked up a pre-worshipped T-Jet about a week ago and seeing the mileage discussions on this thread, thought will ask for some advice from the Linea experts.

My MID is stuck between 7.2 to 8kmpl with 100%AC in Bangalore's bumper to bumper traffic. And this is with moderate driving -I rarely, if ever, let her drop off the turbo zone and rarely get a chance to take her above 3.5k rpm either. I use engine braking quite extensively and prefer to brake only at a hump for example.This is by far the lowest mileage I have got of any car I have driven!

However, when I took her out this Sunday on much emptier roads compared to usual, and took her all the way to 6K+ rpm repeatedly, I got 10kmpl. Looks like she doesn't like to be driven slow at all!

For comparison;
I get 11-12kmpl in my 2011 City with 100% AC in bumper to bumper traffic. Much higher(14-15) on less congested roads and around 9kmpl if I rev her nuts off.
I get 9-10kmpl in my 2010 Fiesta 1.6 (with remap n other mods) in bumper to bumper traffic with 100% AC. I get 8-9kmpl if I rev her nuts off. I don't know what she gives when driven sedately on open roads because she has never had to go through that.

What surprised me was that I expected a turbo-petrol to be more efficient than at least my Fiesta. Not sure if it is a matter of me still adjusting to the car's powerband and gear-engine combo or what else.

So seeing as others here also quoted 7-8kmpl, has anyone verified this by tankful-to-tankful method? Is this a case of the MID being overly enthusiastic showing you the consumption? Or being plain bonkers seeing as it showed me 10kmpl when driven hard?
Hey niranjanrvce!

I too had picked up a pre-worshipped Linea T-Jet Plus a couple of months back. Good to know that you got yourself a beauty too.

Regarding the mileage that you are getting, I think for Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic with 100% AC, around 8-9 should be a fair range. In Chennai, I get 8-9 in similar circumstances. But in better conditions (normal traffic with 100% AC) I get almost 12-14 for the daily office (sedate) drives - keeping the average around 11-12kmpl. I do not prefer to rev her inside the city, owing to the crazy driving skills of bikers and buses out here. I have heard that Bangalore's traffic can be very cruel in case of bumper to bumper scenario, and probably thats why you get the low mileage. And add the Linea "heavy" weight to the fact.
I cannot comment why you get much better mileage on the other cars. Not really a car expert yet.

Just for information/ curiosity sake, could you share the car details and the price you got the T-Jet for in bangalore?

I will be putting up a ownership thread sometime soon to help other T-Jet lovers, even though mine is a pre-worshipped one. For the records, I got the T-Jet Plus 2011 model for 5.2lacs. She had done around a 22700 kms when I picked her up and was in near pristine condition.
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:32   #1759
BHPian

The advice to:
a) Keep the engine in/near the turbo zone as much as possible
b) Coast in gear instead of neutral

really help! Thanks all.

I got to leave one morning at 6:45 am and got close to 9 kmpl on the MID. It drastically during the return trip at ~ 5:20 pm, to 7.2 kmpl.

The one thing the T-Jet hates the most is idling. There are too many signals, and each one is a good 2-3 minute wait, and at each one, the average drops by 0.1 kmpl. Ten lights (easy to encounter one way) and you're down by 1 kmpl.

I haven't been able to take her out where she's running in 4th (forget 5th) for 5 minutes straight, and no idling.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:17   #1760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Absolutely normal pattern, Niranjan. Like others mentioned before me, this car doesn't like continuous B2B traffic. For best fuel efficiency in the city traffic (where you can't rev too much anyway), try upshifting at 2000-2200 rpm. You should see the FE improving to 8.5-9 kmpl with 100% AC.

Quote:
I have at times cross-verified the MID figures with the tankful-to-tankful method of calculating the fuel consumption rates. There isn't much difference between the MID and the manual methods. I found an error of 0.1-0.2 kmpl (with the higher figure on the MID), which is quite negligible. The MID figures can more or less be used as a reliable source of information.

P.S - no ownership review thread?? We not only want an ownership thread, but also a comparo between the three C-segment sedans you have in your garage now . This is perhaps the only garage which has 3 C-segment cars from different brands, all contemporaries.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:32   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyP View Post
In Chennai, I get 8-9 in similar circumstances. But in better conditions (normal traffic with 100% AC) I get almost 12-14 for the daily office (sedate) drives - keeping the average around 11-12kmpl.

Just for information/ curiosity sake, could you share the car details and the price you got the T-Jet for in bangalore?
So looks like ~8kmpl is what is normal for the car in heavy traffic.
Mine is a 2011 TJet Plus too - picked it up at 6.15L in pristine condition and about 28k on the odo. Looks like you got an excellent deal at 5.2L!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Absolutely normal pattern, Niranjan. Like others mentioned before me, this car doesn't like continuous B2B traffic.
The MID figures can more or less be used as a reliable source of information.
Thanks for confirming that Karthik. Glad that it isn't something about my driving causing the low mileage. I am in the middle of a tankful-to-tankful method, let me see what I calculate through that.
And thanks for all your help in finalizing this car - especially waking up at 6AM on a Sunday to check it out!

So, is there some way to turn the MID off? I ask because I want to enjoy the car without worrying about that darned number staring at me. And also because I told my Dad this will give 10kmpl at least before picking it up and don't want him to see 7-8 on the MID!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
P.S - no ownership review thread?? We not only want an ownership thread, but also a comparo between the three C-segment sedans you have in your garage now . This is perhaps the only garage which has 3 C-segment cars from different brands, all contemporaries.
Yes, an ownership review and comparo will come. I want to take the TJet out on a long drive before penning it down though to make sure I have understood her well enough. Right now, all I can say is I haven't touched the City keys since the TJet came and it looks like it will stay that way
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2013, 14:26   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post

The one thing the T-Jet hates the most is idling. There are too many signals, and each one is a good 2-3 minute wait, and at each one, the average drops by 0.1 kmpl. Ten lights (easy to encounter one way) and you're down by 1 kmpl.
Completely agree on idling , its a bit scary to look at the MID during a long light!!

Quote:
So looks like ~8kmpl is what is normal for the car in heavy traffic.
Mine is a 2011 TJet Plus too - picked it up at 6.15L in pristine condition and about 28k on the odo. Looks like you got an excellent deal at 5.2L!

Safe number which i am confident can be taken upto 8.5 or even 9 with a little effort and understanding of how the car behaves.
Old 4th September 2013, 15:10   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Completely agree on idling , its a bit scary to look at the MID during a long light!!
Interesting. Any particular reason why you won't turn of the engine at signals?
Old 4th September 2013, 15:18   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I would not turn off a Turbo Charged engine at a traffic light even if it was for 180 seconds,To me Turbo's health is more important,than 100 ml of fuel or even some amount of gases released in the atmosphere.But a Tjet has a water cooled turbo,so its not that important to follow the idling rule all the time.
Old 4th September 2013, 15:30   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I would not turn off a Turbo Charged engine at a traffic light even if it was for 180 seconds,To me Turbo's health is more important,than 100 ml of fuel or even some amount of gases released in the atmosphere.But a Tjet has a water cooled turbo,so its not that important to follow the idling rule all the time.
I don't have a TJet (I do have a MultiJet) but I am guessing it can't be much different and the Fiat manual encourages to turn off the engine if the wait is more than a minute or so and I even remember reading something along the lines of, 'the engine is designed for stop-go usages once the engine is warmed up'. So, I was just wondering.
Old 4th September 2013, 15:46   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Some times the lights are not long enough and enough times even though it is traffic light there is a little movement taking place to avoid some car getting too close , moving a little forward etc so does not work.

Quote:
Old 4th September 2013, 16:13   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its tricky situation whether to turn off the engine or not on traffic lights. If the wait is of less than a minute, I do not turn off the engine, although my car is naturally aspirated, not a turbo.
Frequent starts & stops are uselessly taxing on the battery and the starter motor too.

Also, many cars unlock doors when one switches off the engine. This poses some risk too as there have been a lot of incidents when thieves take this chance to grab that bag, wallets or mobile phones from cars. Since most cars now have power windows, you lose their control too once the engine is switched off.
Also, there have been many discussions which may suggest that more fuel is consumed at startup than just idling for a while. Some discussion has happened here too: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-start-3.html
Old 4th September 2013, 16:53   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have a TJet (I do have a MultiJet) but I am guessing it can't be much different and the Fiat manual encourages to turn off the engine if the wait is more than a minute or so and I even remember reading something along the lines of, 'the engine is designed for stop-go usages once the engine is warmed up'. So, I was just wondering.
I drive a Linea MJD as well,and i do not turn it off at the signals
Old 4th September 2013, 18:06   #1769
BHPian

On a lighter note, i think we could also prolong the life of our engine mounts by not resorting to on-off at all signals we face everyday no? Are engine mounts affected at all by the on-off practise?
Old 4th September 2013, 21:39   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Many signals don't have a timer, and I have no idea how long it'll take (I'm new to Bangalore).
I'll lose the a/c if I turn the engine off; don't like to drain the battery by running the fan off of the battery.
The strain on the battery and starter motor from repeated starting.
The adverse impact on FE by repeated starting (as other people have mentioned).

Though I'm tempted now to turn it off if there's a timer and it's going to be a long wait. At one signal (don't remember which), the countdown started at 140, then when it reached 60 or so, it started counting down from 240

I've said this in another thread: numerous junctions in B'lore will benefit from a signal light. There are too many without one, and it's utter chaos with severe jams because everybody noses in.

Our govts and cops don't seem at all interested in conserving fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks