Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2013, 11:11   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

The 16 inchers take 36 psi at front and 33 at rear as per the manufacturer recommedation. I have been following this right from day one.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 12:29   #1787
BHPian

I topped up to 36psi nitrogen all tyres yesterday. Ride is a little firm but good on city roads.

The tyre store had recommended 32psi the last time and I found that very comfortable.

The Goodyear NCT 16 inchers give a slight jerkiness when taking slow turns. This effect is noticeably reduced at low PSI.

On how to secure the spare, it remains hollow side facing in just the way as it was always. I feel the board which protects the wheel and acts as the floor of the boot is a little light and could have been firmer.

Would suggest you get the original screws to secure the spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Mods, sorry for back to back posts, there have been no posts by anybody else in the maantime.

Need some help from Linea Emotion owners:

1) What pressure are you keeping in your 16" tyres? My new version (2013) T-Jet is at 34/32 front/back, with 2 or 3 persons on board, no luggage, and the ride is extremely stiff and uncomfortable (almost no shock absorber action on breakers when going real slow). The pressure has been verified 3 times: with the tyre shop gauge, my "Michelin Certified" gauge, and another guage I have from the U.S.

2) How is a 16" spare supposed to be stored: hollow part of the rim facing down (easy to check spare pressure) or facing up (nozzle will be down and wheel has to be flipped to check pressure)? I ask because I never paid attention to this. When I replaced my 15" steel spare with a 16" alloy, the tyre shop guys stored it with the hollow side down. Now the securing clamp does not reach from the rim to the screw socket below, so the wheel bounces on a bad bump. Do I need the older clamp that is longer and made specifically for the 16" wheel as in the previous generation Linea Emotions? Or do I need to store the wheel with the hollow side facing up?

Thanks.
Old 9th September 2013, 12:44   #1788
BHPian

I follow the 36-33 (Front/Back) as per the manufacturer recommendations. And I feel that you should have the hollow part facing downwards and metal upwards. Logically too , if you have the hollow facing upwards, your board would bend from that area if you keep heavy load there and eventually it would be a permanent bend. So , it makes sense to have the metal part up to support the board as well. and the nozzle also stays upwards making it easy to fill air.

OT: Does nitrogen in the tyres actually does what it is advertised to. I have read a lot in favor and lot against it?
Old 9th September 2013, 13:41   #1789
BHPian

Thanks all.

My ride is too stiff even at a slightly lower than recommended pressure; maybe some problem with the suspension.

If I keep the spare hollow side facing down, I'll need to get the longer clamp from a previous gen Linea.

A visit to Vecto seems to be in order.
Old 9th September 2013, 14:33   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mods, sorry for back to back posts, there have been no posts by anybody else in the maantime.

Need some help from Linea Emotion owners:

1) What pressure are you keeping in your 16" tyres? My new version (2013) T-Jet is at 34/32 front/back, with 2 or 3 persons on board, no luggage, and the ride is extremely stiff and uncomfortable (almost no shock absorber action on breakers when going real slow). The pressure has been verified 3 times: with the tyre shop gauge, my "Michelin Certified" gauge, and another guage I have from the U.S.

2) How is a 16" spare supposed to be stored: hollow part of the rim facing down (easy to check spare pressure) or facing up (nozzle will be down and wheel has to be flipped to check pressure)? I ask because I never paid attention to this. When I replaced my 15" steel spare with a 16" alloy, the tyre shop guys stored it with the hollow side down. Now the securing clamp does not reach from the rim to the screw socket below, so the wheel bounces on a bad bump. Do I need the older clamp that is longer and made specifically for the 16" wheel as in the previous generation Linea Emotions? Or do I need to store the wheel with the hollow side facing up?

Thanks.
The recommended pressure in 36/33 for front/back at full load. You can vary the pressures in both the tyres and settle for the one that suits your driving conditions. I hope you won't find the hardness of the suspension if you drive on potholed/broken roads at the speed of 40/45 KMPH.

I think the 16" regular alloys are to be kept as spare only for a short time till the puncture is rectified. The 15" spare wheel is only to be used temporarily and comes with a speed limit. Why do you need to bother so much about the clamp when the 16" is to be kept in the boot only temporarily.
Old 9th September 2013, 14:58   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The recommended pressure in 36/33 for front/back at full load. You can vary the pressures in both the tyres and settle for the one that suits your driving conditions. I hope you won't find the hardness of the suspension if you drive on potholed/broken roads at the speed of 40/45 KMPH.

I think the 16" regular alloys are to be kept as spare only for a short time till the puncture is rectified. The 15" spare wheel is only to be used temporarily and comes with a speed limit. Why do you need to bother so much about the clamp when the 16" is to be kept in the boot only temporarily.
He has already swapped the spare 15 inchers to 16 inchers and hence the query.

On the tyre pressure, 36/33 for front/rear does make the ride a bit stiff. The tyre too plays its role here for the stiffness.
Old 9th September 2013, 15:56   #1792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post

I've always felt Fiat cars - barring after sales issues - always offered good value proposition in performance, comfort, handling, safety & price.

The new T-Jet is a very good deal as it offers superior pickup and performance. Its very comfortable though ergonomics are a mixed bag (the Palio's seat has a better squab than the T-Jet). Handling is more than sufficient. Metal gauge and airbags score on the safety.
Agree on the seats. I found the Palio's seats more comfortable than the T-Jet's. The under thigh support at the rear is better in the Palio. The drivers seating is also more ergonomic for me compared in the Palio than the T-Jet, for some strange reason I could not pinpoint.

The value proposition is also good unless you need extensive after sales support in which case you used to have a problem. Don't know how it will be in the future.
Old 9th September 2013, 16:29   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The 16 inchers take 36 psi at front and 33 at rear as per the manufacturer recommedation. I have been following this right from day one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
On the tyre pressure, 36/33 for front/rear does make the ride a bit stiff. The tyre too plays its role here for the stiffness.
Krishna,

Your Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110's are "supposed" to be on the harder side. Yet you seem to find 36/33 comfortable.

I'm running Pirelli P7s. As far as I know, the P7s are not harder than the Hankooks. Yet I find 34/32 hard.

I'm a bit mystified. I guess I'll know if one of you drives my car and gives me feedback. The Vecto guys seem to brush off my complaints saying "it's normal".
Old 9th September 2013, 16:31   #1794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Krishna,

Your Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110's are "supposed" to be on the harder side. Yet you seem to find 36/33 comfortable.

I'm running Pirelli P7s. As far as I know, the P7s are not harder than the Hankooks. Yet I find 34/32 hard.
Yes, Hankook are harder and I am sticking to the manufacturer recommended pressure. The ride is a bit harsh at lower speeds but nothing alarming. Once the tyres are warmed up when driven around 25-30 kms, the ride settles quite nicely. This is something very weird I am observing with the Hankooks. Eagle NCTs were the same when the tyres were cold or warmed up.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 09:09   #1795
BHPian

PDI done

So much activity here since I last checked! I did a quick inspection on Friday evening and everything looked fine to me. Only sad part is she is out in the rain in that stockyard at the moment! She will be registered today and I should get her tomorrow
Old 10th September 2013, 10:52   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
OT: Does nitrogen in the tyres actually does what it is advertised to. I have read a lot in favor and lot against it?
I drive a TJet + and have maintained 34/32 since i bought my car about 2.5 years ago. Have never filled nitrogen in my tyres. Being tubeless I think the argument of not having to bother about checking tyre pressure doesn't really cut with me!!
I would rather fill normal air and keep checking my tyre pressures, which I do religiously every week!

Also, please check out this brilliant video of an episode on Top Gear explaining the futility of filling your tyres with nitrogen!

Last edited by PGNarain : 10th September 2013 at 10:56.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 13:10   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the video , interesting , i have never believed in inflating my tyres with Nitrogen and this video clearly does not either - quite a bit of praise for the Suzuki as well during the video!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
I drive a TJet + and have maintained 34/32 since i bought my car about 2.5 years ago. Have never filled nitrogen in my tyres. Being tubeless I think the argument of not having to bother about checking tyre pressure doesn't really cut with me!!
I would rather fill normal air and keep checking my tyre pressures, which I do religiously every week!
Old 12th September 2013, 14:05   #1798
BHPian

Il jet è atterrato!

Finally, I got my Jet! Delivery happened at 8.30PM yesterday.

It was not the perfect beginning for me though. I am yet to get some of the accessories fitted, the number is yet to be allotted. There was too little petrol in the tank and the car gave up just before the filling station. Though things were not perfect, Vecto staff are friendly. And then, the car itself is an awesome thing! It drives great, handles great. I have already done 200+Km with her so far.
Old 12th September 2013, 14:27   #1799
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday night 8:30 pm to 2 pm today, 200 kms already, that says it all about the Tjet

Congrats on the buy.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 14:28   #1800
BHPian

Congrats, Shreeda! I hope there is a Bangalore TBHP meet soon. Couldn't make it to the last one, and yet to go on one.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed