Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 19:51   #2146
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

I have Pirelli P7s. Not suited for South Indian roads - gets damaged too easily. Look elsewhere.
TheTeacher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 20:29   #2147
BHPian

A noob question:
How do I upgrade the headlamps in my Linea?
H1/ H7 for high/ low beam?
Are Philips Extreme Vision good?
Old 19th March 2014, 22:15   #2148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by "vickyP View Post

P.S. On another thought, I may be travelling abroad in a few months time, how much resale value can I expect on my T-Jet? Its a T-Jet Plus, 2nd owner, 2011 model, located in Chennai, Sun Beam Beige color, the car is in very good condition, new battery & new tyres (in a weeks time ). If not, I plan to send it back to my home town for my brother.

All your inputs are welcome.

Mods, I hope I have the query at the right place.
According to used car pricing site Indian Blue Book, you can expect 3.4 to 3.75 lacs. Seems low but the site is supposed to be fairly accurate for the popular models.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 11:27   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Have you already started seeing damage on the tyres? Yours are barely a few months old... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I have Pirelli P7s. Not suited for South Indian roads - gets damaged too easily. Look elsewhere.
Old 31st March 2014, 12:36   #2150
BHPian

My tyres and car are now 9 months old. I had gone straight from the showroom after getting delivery of the car to the tyre shop and swapped the OEM tyres.

One got damaged when about 3 months old - it got a nice big bump in the sidewall when I put that wheel into a crater I couldn't see at night on a regular city road. I made that the spare and made the spare the running wheel (remember I purchased a 16" alloy because I didn't want a mini spare; so all 5 wheels and tyres are the same).

The front left got a cut in the sidewall at about 6 months; no idea how that happened. Still using that tyre, the tyre shop where I got them said it was ok to continue using it. I'm leery of long drives though; one with a sidewall cut, one with a sidewall bump, and only 3 reliable tyres. Too risky. April first week have to go to another tyre store and check as to what to do. Throw more good money after bad (replace the two with new P7s) or buy two of a different brand and live with the difference. Damned either way.

Oddly, I bought the P7s after a bit of research. People here actually had good experiences. They're probably not good for bad roads, which are plenty here, plus the Linea is a heavy car.

When the second one got damaged, I was running on the minimum recommended by Fiat (only driver in car). A tyre shop in Chennai had told me to keep higher pressure on bad roads; he said tyres get damaged more easily with lower pressure. Figures. I've since gone back to 36/33 on a permanent basis.

Incidentally, my front shocks were changed under warranty at 700 km because they had no action at all - they were more like stiff iron rods. The back absorbers were changed a week back, at 5300 km for the same reason. I lived with a bouncy, jarring ride all this while. World of a difference now.

My mileage continues to be between 7.2 and 7.6 in the city. Probably the only T-Jet in the country so bad. Dealer workshop says everything's fine.

Last edited by TheTeacher : 31st March 2014 at 12:38.
Old 31st March 2014, 13:42   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Yes , apologies 9 months , your jet came a little after mine and mine is on the verge of completing a year now , sorry to hear that the ownership experience is not going well and the FE is what it is. How much are you managing to get on the highways , if you have taken it there...

Quote:
My tyres and car are now 9 months old. I had gone straight from the showroom after getting delivery of the car to the tyre shop and swapped the OEM tyres.

One got damaged when about 3 months old - it got a nice big bump in the sidewall when I put that wheel into a crater I couldn't see at night on a regular city road. I made that the spare and made the spare the running wheel (remember I purchased a 16" alloy because I didn't want a mini spare; so all 5 wheels and tyres are the same).

The front left got a cut in the sidewall at about 6 months; no idea how that happened. Still using that tyre, the tyre shop where I got them said it was ok to continue using it. I'm leery of long drives though; one with a sidewall cut, one with a sidewall bump, and only 3 reliable tyres. Too risky. April first week have to go to another tyre store and check as to what to do. Throw more good money after bad (replace the two with new P7s) or buy two of a different brand and live with the difference. Damned either way.

Oddly, I bought the P7s after a bit of research. People here actually had good experiences. They're probably not good for bad roads, which are plenty here, plus the Linea is a heavy car.

When the second one got damaged, I was running on the minimum recommended by Fiat (only driver in car). A tyre shop in Chennai had told me to keep higher pressure on bad roads; he said tyres get damaged more easily with lower pressure. Figures. I've since gone back to 36/33 on a permanent basis.

Incidentally, my front shocks were changed under warranty at 700 km because they had no action at all - they were more like stiff iron rods. The back absorbers were changed a week back, at 5300 km for the same reason. I lived with a bouncy, jarring ride all this while. World of a difference now.

My mileage continues to be between 7.2 and 7.6 in the city. Probably the only T-Jet in the country so bad. Dealer workshop says everything's fine.
Old 31st March 2014, 15:00   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First, the tyre with a sidewall cut should be moved to the rear since you're using it regularly. When you're mainly driving within the city and that too solo, it maybe wise to experiment with the tyre pressure but when you go on the highways or continuously drive on bad roads it is better to keep the pressure at the recommended 36/33 level.

Secondly, it is not uncommon to have two different set of tyres at the front and rear, but ensure to have the new set at the front and use the P7 at the rear. For the new set of tyres for the Linea you can try the Michelin ST3 or the Continental CPC2, if your budget permits. Moderator Mobike is using ST3 in his Cruze, which has replaced the CPC2 and he is all praise about both these tyres.
Old 1st April 2014, 20:16   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
How much are you managing to get on the highways, if you have taken it there...
Have been on only one highway trip for 800 km, when the Odo had 900 km on it. I got between 10 and 11.4 kmpl. This was with full boot, 5 on board, 36/33, air filter freshly cleaned, a/c on set at 20C, speed between 65 and 75 km speed (I was in a convoy). I'll be doing another one at the end of May. Remains to be seen how that works out. Overall, pretty disappointed. I bought a turbo petrol knowingly, but didn't ever think mileage would be this bad. When I lived in the US, my V6 Camry 5-speed automatic gave a consistent minimum of 9.8 kmpl in the city. And there are god-awful traffic jams there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
First, the tyre with a sidewall cut should be moved to the rear since you're using it regularly.

Secondly, it is not uncommon to have two different set of tyres at the front and rear, but ensure to have the new set at the front and use the P7 at the rear.
Sommos, I disagree. Bad tyres should always be in the front; you can steer the car if the tyre goes. Can't do that if it's in the rear. Again, new tyres should always go on the rear (won't matter much in my case because the current tyres have only 5500 km on them). A few months ago I posted a link to a video in the tyres section, too lazy to find it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
For the new set of tyres for the Linea you can try the Michelin ST3 or the Continental CPC2, if your budget permits. Moderator Mobike is using ST3 in his Cruze, which has replaced the CPC2 and he is all praise about both these tyres.
Back in late July 2013 when I changed my OEM tyres, my first choice was the CPC2, but it was not in stock so had to settle for the P7s. The ST3 wasn't available then.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:21   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sommos, I disagree. Bad tyres should always be in the front; you can steer the car if the tyre goes. Can't do that if it's in the rear. Again, new tyres should always go on the rear (won't matter much in my case because the current tyres have only 5500 km on them). A few months ago I posted a link to a video in the tyres section, too lazy to find it now.
I understand what you mean and I've read the article, but there is a basic difference between the two scenarios. In the article it is presumed that one set of tyre is bald or have minimum thread depth, but in your case you have a sidewall cut. For the sake of argument let us suppose you put that tyre in the front (going by your views) and it blows-off, it is almost impossible to control the car. That is the reason I said that the tyre with the sidewall cut should be moved to the rear.

On the second point I agree but it would not make much difference anyway.
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:51   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Yep they dont sound as good as they can be , even assuming a situation minus the AC which would add 15-20% to the fuel economy we are looking at 14 which per say is not bad but it should give more with the AC on i agree.

Quote:
Have been on only one highway trip for 800 km, when the Odo had 900 km on it. I got between 10 and 11.4 kmpl. This was with full boot, 5 on board, 36/33, air filter freshly cleaned, a/c on set at 20C, speed between 65 and 75 km speed (I was in a convoy). I'll be doing another one at the end of May. Remains to be seen how that works out. Overall, pretty disappointed. I bought a turbo petrol knowingly, but didn't ever think mileage would be this bad. When I lived in the US, my V6 Camry 5-speed automatic gave a consistent minimum of 9.8 kmpl in the city. And there are god-awful traffic jams there too.

Old 3rd April 2014, 23:40   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Yep they dont sound as good as they can be , even assuming a situation minus the AC which would add 15-20% to the fuel economy we are looking at 14 which per say is not bad but it should give more with the AC on i agree.

Guess you ripped it.... Else you would get around 14-16 between 100-120.
Old 5th April 2014, 14:11   #2157
BHPian

My 3 months old TJET is at the service centre now.

Immediately after taking delivery, noticed a choo choo sound coming from the front wheels while going over pot holes/speed breakers. Thought that the ride is settling. However, it persisted. 3 weeks the choo choo turned to a thud thud voice. Took to the service centre and the immediately diagnosed the problem to a loose link rod and fastened it. Thud Thud went off, choo choo persisted. Took again to the service centre today. The informed some lubrication issue with the front shock. Opened both shocks twice, still issue was there. They informed the shocks may require a replacement since the lubrication is not effective. Wating at the service station.

Can any one help me? what could be the issue?
Old 5th April 2014, 16:29   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
My 3 months old TJET is at the service centre now.

Immediately after taking delivery, noticed a choo choo sound coming from the front wheels while going over pot holes/speed breakers. Thought that the ride is settling. However, it persisted. 3 weeks the choo choo turned to a thud thud voice. Took to the service centre and the immediately diagnosed the problem to a loose link rod and fastened it. Thud Thud went off, choo choo persisted. Took again to the service centre today. The informed some lubrication issue with the front shock. Opened both shocks twice, still issue was there. They informed the shocks may require a replacement since the lubrication is not effective. Wating at the service station.

Can any one help me? what could be the issue?
Shocks need replacing, it sounds like. Under warranty, of course. Guess it would have been wiser to have reacted to the odd noises earlier if not right at the outset. In any case, relax, it isn't a complex or dicey job. Fiat's warranty policies are excellent, hope you find that confirmed by your experience at your dealer service centre. If not: raise a slight hell. All the best.
Old 5th April 2014, 16:50   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Shocks need replacing, it sounds like. Under warranty, of course. Guess it would have been wiser to have reacted to the odd noises earlier if not right at the outset. In any case, relax, it isn't a complex or dicey job. Fiat's warranty policies are excellent, hope you find that confirmed by your experience at your dealer service centre. If not: raise a slight hell. All the best.
Thanks Desdemona. Got the vehicle, shocks replaced under warranty. Was worried about the after sales service, but it proved to nice. It seems fiat is improving, they also washed the car at no cost.
Old 5th April 2014, 23:26   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Thanks Desdemona. Got the vehicle, shocks replaced under warranty. Was worried about the after sales service, but it proved to nice. It seems fiat is improving, they also washed the car at no cost.
Good to hear, man! Hope the ASS improvement continues. Here in Gurgaon it is still only OK-ish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks