Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2014, 22:24   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
Hello friends. Took a TD of Tjet Emotion trim. Awesome at high speeds but a tad slow to take off - steering a bit on the heavy side at slow speeds, especially when compared to City or Verna. Just had one glitch on which I wanted a feedback from the experts here. The clutch pedal was too high for comfort and I found it really difficult to put it on rest with my heels on the mat (my shoe size is 8 (UK) btw). This caused a lot of strain while driving. Anyone else felt it that way or am i missing something very basic. Additionally, the space between the footrest and the clutch pedal seemed too narrow and I kept hitting it while trying to press the clutch. Also wanted a feedback on Torrid Motors, Andheri, Mumbai, the dealership here. They quoted a final on road price of 10.7 lakh. When I enquired about year end discounts, I was told that the company is yet to announce and they would keep me posted.
The clutch issue is rather famous with the T-Jets. Long throw, yes indeed. But, yes, one tends to get used to it.

As regards to the dealers, I'm really not certain about Torrid Motors. (See, the word "Torrid" itself is a negative word. ), so you can imagine, what sort of an epic name it is, specially for a dealer.

Tell you what, from what I hear Fortune Motors is an excellent place. You can weigh the final prices quoted from both the dealers, and the discounts, stocks they're giving etc, and then take a call.

And yes- A friend of mine insists, Fortune is excellent, service-wise.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 22:36   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
The clutch issue is rather famous with the T-Jets. Long throw, yes indeed. But, yes, one tends to get used to it.

As regards to the dealers, I'm really not certain about Torrid Motors. (See, the word "Torrid" itself is a negative word. ), so you can imagine, what sort of an epic name it is, specially for a dealer.

Tell you what, from what I hear Fortune Motors is an excellent place. You can weigh the final prices quoted from both the dealers, and the discounts, stocks they're giving etc, and then take a call.

And yes- A friend of mine insists, Fortune is excellent, service-wise.
Fortune does not sell Fiat anymore as far as my knowledge goes after the fiat tata divorce.
Regarding clutch, it is very smooth and should not be a concern and you will get used to it. On the side note, you should not be driving with your foot on the clutch with heel on the floor as it would inadvertently lead to pressure on clutch and might result in additional wear and tear. Only press it while changing gear.
oxymoron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 18:43   #2433
BHPian

Hey thanks Nagesh, Fintail and Oxymoron.

@Ngesh and @ Fintail: Even Torrid were good. The sales consultant was a girl Tahira and was reasonable well versed. They came to my house at Santacruz for the TD on a weekend and were courteous. I am used to driving a Zen and Swift where I found the clutch well placed in terms of height. Wasn't the case in Tjet. Maybe for upgrading to the C segment I need to upgrade my driving style as well.Agree with your suggestion of waiting and getting a 2015 version but I am not too sure buyers of Linea consider resale value while making a purchase decision. I may be wrong though. About discounts, gut feeling says that whatever discount I get now would be the same 2-3 months down the line. Unless of course you have some insider info abt Linea's future pricing

@Fintail, Oxymoron is correct. Fiat's India website shows only 2 dealers in Mumbai - Torrid and Esskay, no Fortune. But guys, I read somewhere that rear spoiler is a standard accessory in the Emotion trim but I found it missing in test driven car. Neither did the girl tell me anything about it. BTW friends, would waiting make sense to get a better deal on the Emotion variant as Nagesh suggested? If so, how long?
Old 7th December 2014, 19:13   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends. Took a TD of Tjet Emotion trim. Awesome at high speeds but a tad slow to take off - steering a bit on the heavy side at slow speeds, especially when compared to City or Verna. Just had one glitch on which I wanted a feedback from the experts here. The clutch pedal was too high for comfort and I found it really difficult to put it on rest with my heels on the mat (my shoe size is 8 (UK) btw). This caused a lot of strain while driving. Anyone else felt it that way or am i missing something very basic. Additionally, the space between the footrest and the clutch pedal seemed too narrow and I kept hitting it while trying to press the clutch. Also wanted a feedback on Torrid Motors, Andheri, Mumbai, the dealership here. They quoted a final on road price of 10.7 lakh. When I enquired about year end discounts, I was told that the company is yet to announce and they would keep me posted.
Indiaashish: I am a Tjet owner for past one year now. Its an awesome machine. It gives me an average of 11-12 km/l in Bangalore traffic. The figure is notch better in highway runs (13-14 km/l), as you will tend to indulge with the car with your right foot. However, if you drive sedately I have got 16-17km/l as well.

How much is the on road price now? However 10.7 for an emotion is a good price. Since Fiat is selling Linea as Audi selling A6 in numbers, you may get a better bargain as well.

All the best!!
shijinpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 13:43   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Indiaashish: I am a Tjet owner for past one year now. Its an awesome machine. It gives me an average of 11-12 km/l in Bangalore traffic. The figure is notch better in highway runs (13-14 km/l), as you will tend to indulge with the car with your right foot. However, if you drive sedately I have got 16-17km/l as well.

How much is the on road price now? However 10.7 for an emotion is a good price. Since Fiat is selling Linea as Audi selling A6 in numbers, you may get a better bargain as well.

All the best!!
Thanks @shijinpr. Getting a cash discount of 10K plus an option of getting a GPS installed or equivalent cash discount (of 10K) for Emotion Tjet.
Took a TD from Esskay (the only other Fiat dealer in Mumbai) at my office and they also were equally competent as Torrid. The only issue is that they have just launched their dealership in March so cannot be sure of their track record on ASS. Further, the sales executive at Torrid told me that Esskay is planning to shut down – talk of competition!!! I clarified with Esskay who said they have such a big space at Prabhadevi and that they have recently opened their workshop in Shevri, not for closing down!!!.
So all in all, the best price I am getting for Tjet Emotion is 10.5 K.
But I am now in a fix. Fiat has started offering 1 lakh discount on MJD (30k cash discount, free insurance and 30K exchange). That works out to almost the same price as tjet . I need your expert opinion guys. Should I go in for MJD given that it has a significantly higher fuel efficiency (claimed 20 .4 kmpl vs. 15.7 kmpl for tjet). Most of my driving would be in city and occasionally inter-city. The average running would be about 700-800 km / month. Please guys, need your help and expert suggestion – does going for diesel make sense?

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2014 at 12:01. Reason: See mod note
Old 12th December 2014, 14:20   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @shijinpr. Getting a cash discount of 10K plus an option of getting a GPS installed or equivalent cash discount (of 10K) for Emotion Tjet.
Took a TD from Esskay (the only other Fiat dealer in Mumbai) at my office and they also were equally competent as Torrid. The only issue is that they have just launched their dealership in March so cannot be sure of their track record on ASS. Further, the sales executive at Torrid told me that Esskay is planning to shut down – talk of competition!!! I clarified with Esskay who said they have such a big space at Prabhadevi and that they have recently opened their workshop in Shevri, not for closing down!!!.
But I am now in a fix. Fiat has started offering 1 lakh discount on MJD (30k cash discount, free insurance and 30K exchange). That works out to almost the same price as tjet . I need your expert opinion guys. Should I go in for MJD given that it has a significantly higher fuel efficiency (claimed 20 .4 kmpl vs. 15.7 kmpl for tjet). Most of my driving would be in city and occasionally inter-city. The average running would be about 700-800 km / month. Please guys, need your help and expert suggestion – does going for diesel make sense?
Hi there, as you are getting the MJD at a similar price, I would suggest to go for it. Though the TJet is more powerful, MJD is no slouch either. It will save you fuel costs and it will be easier to sell off whenever you feel like. I am not saying that it matters a lot, as you might want to keep the new car for a long period, but still, it will get you more resale value.
If at any point you feel it to be underpowered, just get it remapped. Search for Wolfmoto on this forum and checkout what difference their remap makes to a Linea MJD. Some 110 bhp and 240 Nm are really good, with diesel's economy.
With TJet, you get discs all around, which are nice, but in real life situations, Linea's brakes are just awesome, so you won't regret going with MJD.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2014 at 12:01. Reason: Quoted post modified
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 16:08   #2437
BHPian

@indiaashish - Inspired by your post, i tried my luck with KHT Fiat Caffe , but to no avail . They said that no discounts are available on the T-Jet (especially since I am taking delivery tomorrow!)

-- Fast forward 60 minutes --
Just got a call from KHT Fiat Caffe @ Blr, saying they can offer 30k cash discount and Free Insurance (or 12k cash discount) on the T-jet!

Assuming they offer the 42k discount, does that get reduced from the Ex showroom price?
Old 12th December 2014, 16:50   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ashish, I own a T-jet that has done ~36K KMs in <3 years and a Punto MJD that has done ~14K KMs in 2.5 years. Once you get used to the amazing diesel like torque from an extremely refined petrol engine, it's very difficult to go back to the diesel. Diesel might make more sense practically, but since when has Fiat become a practical choice? It's a choice that appeals more to the heart than brain but you won't regret owning a T-jet. It's very efficient when driven efficiently. It's sturdy, it's safe, it looks great, is much more exclusive, etc. With the price difference between petrol and diesel reducing every quarter, and usage of only ~800 KMs per month, T-jet makes even more sense.

All the best with you decision!

Cheers,
Biraj

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2014 at 12:02. Reason: Quoted post modified
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 16:58   #2439
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, this isn't really a question that requires an expert opinion.

First - don't be misled by the claimed fuel efficiency of 15-16kmpl for the Tjet. These are just marketing figures and in a real world driving cycle expect about 12-13kmpl, or lower. Driven hard these figures will drop down to single digits.

The MJD will definitely deliver better figures but again closer to 16-18kmpl in a real world city+highway cycle.

Seeing your requirement I think it would be wiser to go for the MJD, it's service and spares cost too will be lower than the TJet. However, if you read all the reviews/views of people who have bought a TJet (including me ) - you don't buy the TJet for its mileage but for the sheer driving pleasure. If you can afford the fuel bills - I would always recommend the Jet.

Happy Shopping!!!

P.S: On a different note your post is two smileys too many, expect a rap on the wrist soon.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assemb...e-posting.html

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2014 at 12:03. Reason: Quoted post modified
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2014, 17:23   #2440
BHPian

Thanks guys. Makes my decision even more difficult with no clear winner between petrol and diesel emerging. My inclination though has tilted now in favour of MJD. Perhaps due to these considerations:
1. Most of the times it will be for my wife who would be taking the car to her office - and she has a driver. So performance may take a backseat over fuel bills and driving pleasure.
2. Was just informed by Esskay Motors that I can get a full 1 lakh discount on the MJD without actually going for exchange. While I had no intention of going for the exchange which would have offered me an additional 30K discount, I was told that what I need to submit is just the copy of the purchase invoice, RC book and insurance of my old car and not the physical transfer of the car to them. Sounds a bit unethical and odd to me. Seek your views on whether this is permissible? That makes going for the MJD even more irresistible.

Doe anyone here in the forum have any experience with Esskay Motors? Would really appreciate a feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
IMHO, this isn't really a question that requires an expert opinion.

P.S: On a different note your post is two smileys too many, expect a rap on the wrist soon.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assemb...e-posting.html
Oops. Read it. thanks for the enlightenment Mr. Narain. Not a single smiley this time.
Old 14th December 2014, 13:44   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. Makes my decision even more difficult with no clear winner between petrol and diesel emerging. My inclination though has tilted now in favour of MJD. Perhaps due to these considerations:
1. Most of the times it will be for my wife who would be taking the car to her office - and she has a driver. So performance may take a backseat over fuel bills and driving pleasure.
2. Was just informed by Esskay Motors that I can get a full 1 lakh discount on the MJD without actually going for exchange. While I had no intention of going for the exchange which would have offered me an additional 30K discount, I was told that what I need to submit is just the copy of the purchase invoice, RC book and insurance of my old car and not the physical transfer of the car to them. Sounds a bit unethical and odd to me. Seek your views on whether this is permissible? That makes going for the MJD even more irresistible.
Hey buddy, made any decision?
If you ask me, go for the MJD if you are getting it for a similar price.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 12:56   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Just called up Fiat Caffe Bangalore. Insurance for first year is free and 30K cash discount on Linea T-Jet is what sales exec said initially. Later he said he can offer around 90K total discount if i exchange my car. Looks like 1L offer is now being extended to Tjets too. Good offer IMO.
Old 15th December 2014, 13:03   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. Makes my decision even more difficult with no clear winner between petrol and diesel emerging. My inclination though has tilted now in favour of MJD.
I am sure after reading this you will be able to take a final call.

Received an email yesterday from Fiat-India, offering benefits upto Rs 2L on new Linea, there is no mention of the variant but am sure it is on MJD.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 13:53   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Hey buddy, made any decision?
If you ask me, go for the MJD if you are getting it for a similar price.
Thanks @itsashishsharma and @S.Mjet for the suggestion.

Took a TD of MJD on Saturday. Frankly, too slow to take off (and I dare say too slow to fly as well at the highest gear). Add to it the noisy engine. Wife also had a feeling that suspensions for some reason were not as good as the Tjet. Matter made more confusing when I received an SMS from Fiat about discounts upto 2 lakh on Linea. Mind said MJD heart said TJET. Eventually heart won over the mind (as always!!) So, finally took the plunge and booked a Magnesio Grey Tjet from Esskay.

Now the only thing to be decided was the onroad price. No discounts on Tjet was the chant both from the sales executive as also his boss. The best they could offer was what they had conveyed earlier – about 20 K which would have worked out to ORP of 10,46000. For the MJD, offer was full 1 lakh discount (including 30K for exchange. While I had no intention of going for the exchange, I was told that what I need to submit is just the copy of the purchase invoice, RC book and insurance of my old car and not the physical transfer of the car to them. Sounded strange!! Need some feedback on this friends - is it a standard practice?).

Managed to close the deal at 9,92,000 for the Emotion (75k discount in total). This includes zero-dep insurance, extended warranty of 5 yrs, exchange docs (need to just submit a copy of the RC book, purchase invoice and insurance of my existing car without any physical transfer – weird!!) and Fiat genuine accessories (mats, mud flap and body cover). Was also assured of free pick up and home delivery for servicing. So paid the booking amount of 50K. They had sunbeam gold June manufactured in stock. Wanted a magnesio so said they would get it from the plant. I told I would take the delivery in January cos I wanted the 2015 registration for which they had no issues. Now keeping my fingers crossed. Hope I made the right choice.
indiaashish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 13:56   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
I am sure after reading this you will be able to take a final call.

Received an email yesterday from Fiat-India, offering benefits upto Rs 2L on new Linea, there is no mention of the variant but am sure it is on MJD.
I am aware that fiat is offering 2L discount on previous gen linea.
Can you pls post a pic of email since 2L is mouth watering discount on new linea.

Most Viewed