Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 22:17   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

The best piece of advice i can give you with respect to the economy is to be conservative in your estimates and expectations on it, dont buy the car 'hoping' to get better figures than what have been reported in ownership threads across on the forum here. Do not set yourself up for disappointment and consequently a little less love for the car on this front.

8-11 KMPL in a city like Delhi during the day , better during winters - note that the the AC on the T-jet lowers fuel economy by as much as 25% , mentioned in the manual

12-14 KMPL again Delhi , early mornings and late nights
15-17 KMPL on lengthy highway runs with sustained speeds

This is what the ranges have been for me typically since i have had the car which is about 2 years now

I have also seen 6 KMPL and 19 KMPL at the same time - for example if i go just from Delhi to Chandigarh then 18-19 is doable , but if i extend that to Shimla then thanks to the hills it will drop eventually down to around 14.

Lot depends on where and how you drive.

All the best!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover2000 View Post
Mod note: Post edited for fixing Quotes. Please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Thank you! I will surely try the T-JET. My running involves between 3k-3.5k kms per month sometimes more, so just wondering if the running cost would be the same as in MJD. Also I have never had petrol cars before..so any advice on the T-JET if I was to consider it?

Last edited by puchoo : 27th March 2015 at 22:20.
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 09:26   #2552
BHPian

My city mileage is 7.5 kmpl consistently; that's because of continuous bad traffic or continuous speed breakers (every quarter or half km), plus a/c being on at 20 or 21 all the time, plus my inability to drive behind very laid back drivers.

I've tried a few times to do what PGNarain has done, but it is too excruciating for me. I'm not a madman on the roads, but I do drive briskly. It is my opinion that unless one is on a Sunday drive in the countryside or is enjoying a drive on a lovely winding mountain, one should focus on the drive and move. And most especially not hold up traffic behind by talking on the phone or driving at a speed where I have to be in 3rd or 2nd gear behind.

More than continuous speed, what seems to trigger higher consumption is how quickly one accelerates. Even on highways. That is my Achilles heel. In my eagerness to get away from non-brisk drivers, I accelerate quickly. Guess I'm a Type A personality.

On the highway, the best I've got is 14.5 once. Otherwise it's been around 11.5. So I have to be conscious of the remaining fuel.

I've pretty much stopped paying attention to the mileage and drive the way I want.

Last edited by TheTeacher : 28th March 2015 at 09:27.
Old 29th March 2015, 13:56   #2553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I've pretty much stopped paying attention to the mileage and drive the way I want.
Absolutely. It's impossible not to accelerate quickly, feel the turbo spool and get pushed back into the seat. My Jet is close to 3 years old and it stills pulls like new.

I get 11.5 on my office commute (Pashan - Magarpatta) and 14+ on the Mum Pune expressway. I have managed to extract 19+ with a light foot on highways but temptation eventually takes over
Old 29th March 2015, 17:35   #2554
BHPian

+1 @TheTeacher, @jogidada.

Listening to the turbo spool and the throaty sound is sweet music to the ears. Just completed a 300 kms journey on NH4 and boy it was sheer pleasure. The average I get usually hovers between 12 to 14 km/ltr with AC range at 21 - 23 deg and speed range of 90 - 110 kmph.

I too have a brisk driving style and Tjet meets my requirements absolutely. Just pedal to the metal and mileage worries vanish for sometime atleast . It is compensated by the driving pleasure I get.
Old 30th March 2015, 12:56   #2555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Lastly, I have news for T-Jet owners (if you'll don't already know) : The Euro Specced T-Jet's ECU can be swapped with the Indian version! That one apparently outputs 120bhp, gives better fuel economy and even makes he engine run more silently (subjective to oil).

Best of all it can be procured from FASS at <20k, and since it's from FASS, I don't think they would void the warranty!

Will try to provide detailed info if people here haven't come across this. Actually I came across this in a FIAT forum where one of our beloved and knowledgeable members got his Jet remapped and since his ECU got conked off (for a completely different reason), he got another ECU from KHT - F.A.S.C. in Bangalore.

Waiting for replies!

(Dear Mods : Hope I haven't exceeded smiley usage as I'm typing from iPad and can't make out if it's more than 2. Pls pardon me incase.
Warm Rgds.)
Hi GrammarNazi,

Was browsing this thread and came across your post. I am very happy to see that the ECU in the T-Jet can be officially swapped by Fiat After Sales. I am located in Bangalore and I have a T-jet emotion. Can you tell me if I can get this done here? Have you yourself done the change and what difference do you see? Thanks for the information and inputs.
Old 30th March 2015, 21:29   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post
Hi GrammarNazi,

Was browsing this thread and came across your post. I am very happy to see that the ECU in the T-Jet can be officially swapped by Fiat After Sales. I am located in Bangalore and I have a T-jet emotion. Can you tell me if I can get this done here? Have you yourself done the change and what difference do you see? Thanks for the information and inputs.
Wonder what is stopping Fiat from having this as the standard ECU on the Tjet. But with Fiat there are surprises, aren't there?
Old 31st March 2015, 08:59   #2557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs_Boson_i View Post
Was browsing this thread and came across your post. I am very happy to see that the ECU in the T-Jet can be officially swapped by Fiat After Sales.
This to me is news. Has anyone tried this swap? Why wouldn't Fiat have this ECU in the first place?
Old 1st April 2015, 14:19   #2558
BHPian

Hi All,

I am on the look out for a new pair of wheels. The i10 has served well for the last 6 years. It will remain as the secondary drive.
The backdrop is that I just moved to Delhi from Mumbai and I figured a new car will make more sense. Delhi - Gurgaon commute - bumper to bumper traffic and I said, hey, no way will I drive a manual. Let me get an automatic. And did a TD of the Rapid DSG.
Other reason for looking at diesel was the kms. Delhi – Gurgaon + some random travel - I was staring at a monthly running of about 1800kms.
In the meantime, I started travelling a bit in the metro and realised what a Godsend it was. After a week or so of metro - I decided that I would do a mix n match of metro and car travel. Now, I reasoned, if I am travelling say, 3 days a week to Gurgaon - do i really need a diesel & do I really need an auto.
Haa ! Guess, I was just making a case for the T jet. A car which I had ruled out with my head but could not move from my heart was clawing back with rational arguments.

Ofcourse, the family is up in arms against the T jet. Anyways, to mollycoddle Dad, I took him on a TD last Sunday at Kashyap Okhla. Yesterday, I again did a TD with Torque Fiat at Gurgaon.

Some observations :

1.) I am not able to make my mind on the looks. While I loved the original, I am in two minds about the new Linea. IMO, Rapid looks better.
2.) Interiors are nice. Way better than Duster. Still the Vento/Rapid twins look better. A friend who took the TD yesterday has a Vento and last week bought the new GT Tsi Polo was of the opinion that Linea’s interior fell short of Vento/Polo.
3.) Handling was definitely nice. I am not an enthusiast sort of a driver. Whatever maneuvers I threw at the car, it handled with aplomb.
4.) Ride was nice. The rough roads were nicely dispatched with. Frankly, I noticed this today in absolute when I I was on the same road in my i10 and I had to slow down and feel car wobble with vibrations in a rough patch in Gurgaon. Yesterday, I just sort of glided over in the T jet on the same stretch.
5.) Did not feel the acclaimed turbo boost of the jet both the times. Well, to be honest, never had the open roads during the TDs to push the car.

Awaiting quotes from Torque Fiat. Kashyap has indicated an OTR of 9.52lacs on a 2014 model (only white & silver color). Will keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:06   #2559
BHPian

Best of luck with the decision you make, but living with the T-Jet has been a great journey since October 2011 for me and I would not have traded it for any of the cars in its segment if I were given an option to go back in time and change it...
On the Highways or City, I have thoroughly enjoyed the car and the features it has to offer. Somehow I find interiors of Vento too minimalistic and I don't like the color of plastics they have in the Polo and Vento (Simply a personal opinion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by locopoco777 View Post
Hi All,
Awaiting quotes from Torque Fiat. Kashyap has indicated an OTR of 9.52lacs on a 2014 model (only white & silver color). Will keep you all posted.
Cheers,
xaero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:31   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Guess, I was just making a case for the T jet. A car which I had ruled out with my head but could not move from my heart was clawing back with rational arguments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaero View Post
Somehow I find interiors of Vento too minimalistic and I don't like the color of plastics they have in the Polo and Vento (Simply a personal opinion).
And let's not forget that softly tuned suspensions, over-served EPS, relatively shorter warranty period, expensive parts replacement &
ease with which VW warranty can be deemed void by the dealers compared to FIAT. Of course, there are areas where VW scores higher
such as Fit & Finish of the interiors & that slick gear box. Just my 2 cents as a FIAT owner
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:58   #2561
BHPian

Well, I have found the most passionate people on this thread and for this car !

And I do not own ( not yet !) the Jet, but the enthusiasm of this thread makes me look no farther. Anyways, the typical responses that I have been getting from people near me whom I have shared my intention of buying the T jet:

Father: If the car is so nice, why does it not sell? I like Honda. Heck, I like the Ecosport too.

Wife: City is the car that i always dreamed of.

Friends: Why a Linea!!!!

Wife's friend: Buy a Ciaz - god's sake why Fiat Linea.

Am thinking, I have yet not bought it - very few people know that I am considering it - dunno what brick-bats i am gonna get when i finally buy it.

Trust me fellas - Fiat also does not help it's own cause.

Sample this:
* Twice in the last 3 weeks, i gave my number at the Fiat website for a call-back. No surprises there - no call till date.

* Had asked for a Emotion version for the TD in Gurgaon. They came in a dynamic version - which is still ok - but the executive started claiming that this is Emotion. I said hello, Emotion, has leather seat-covers - and he said, no sir - I have been selling Fiat for 9-10 months and Emotion doesnot come with leather seat covers. He only recanted after calling up another executive and confirming with him.

* Last grouse - ok, let your product knowledge be not so good. I can live with that. I have Team- BHP to know all I want to know. But atleast send a clean car for the TD. Does not help my cause when I specially invite a friend for a TD, build a myth around the prowess of the Jet and behold a dirty car comes.

Hmm...so I have reconciled myself to the fact that these are some things that I have to live with for the love of the Jet. My only worry is that with the Lineas selling in the numbers they are for the last 2-3 years - how would ASS pan out. If they discontinue Linea in a couple of years - where would I source the spares. Would the dealer or Fiat have any incentive to provide spares.
Old 2nd April 2015, 18:11   #2562
BHPian

go ahead and buy a used linea if you are worried about all this- I did and for the price of a wagon R I have the best car south of Rs. 15 lakhs.

fiat service is pretty good and after 3-4 years, the tough build starts to show ahead of japanese cars too.

I think the t-jet is on part with the octavia in terms of ride, handling etc. Just my two cents - if you are worried about buying a new linea t-jet, buy a sparsely used one for 50% of the price.
Old 2nd April 2015, 23:56   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
That is true to a large extent. I have noticed that the sales staff at some of the key dealerships (especially Kashyap) are quite ill-informed, more so for the T-jet variant. In 2011, one of the staff at Oberoi told me that the speakers are from Bose, I said you mean "Bosch". He wasn't trying to dupe me but he really was confused between Bose and Bosch. I would call it incorrect hiring and then inadequate training. They also come across as lethargic, till the lead comes from a reference.

If you overlook these minor irritants, you can't get a better petrol car than Linea T-jet. I have done 40K KMs in three years, and enjoying my T-jet to the fullest.

The third gear range on the T-jet is a boon while driving in the hills, even city for that matter. It can take you to 100 KMPH from as low as 25-30 KMPH without throwing any tantrums.

Along with the fast and responsive engine, it also has amazing stopping power. On the flip side, that makes the brake components more expensive than the Linea Diesel or Puntos but that's a worthy investment.

All the best with you decision making.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:03   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I have found the most passionate people on this thread and for this car !

And I do not own ( not yet !) the Jet, but the enthusiasm of this thread makes me look no farther. Anyways, the typical responses that I have been getting from people near me whom I have shared my intention of buying the T jet:

Father: If the car is so nice, why does it not sell? I like Honda. Heck, I like the Ecosport too.

Wife: City is the car that i always dreamed of.

Friends: Why a Linea!!!!

Wife's friend: Buy a Ciaz - god's sake why Fiat Linea.

Am thinking, I have yet not bought it - very few people know that I am considering it - dunno what brick-bats i am gonna get when i finally buy it.

If they discontinue Linea in a couple of years - where would I source the spares. Would the dealer or Fiat have any incentive to provide spares.
Yes these are the usual reactions!!
All the cars mentioned are good in their own right. However, when you compare a Honda City with the T-JET from a driving perspective, then there are clear points in the favour of the FIAT Linea T-JET such as better ride and handling, performance (206 Nm torque), superb tyres 205, R16, compared to the 175, 4 disc brakes, leather interiors and last but not least all this at least 1 lakh or more cheaper than the comparable city variant. So game set and match T-JET emotion it is

Couple of points regarding after sales service of FIAT. It is good. I have got my car serviced twice and both the experiences have been silky smooth and very professional. I also own an Innova and I can tell you the FIAT after sales is almost as good as toyota's, which is saying a lot. Regarding whether the linea will get discontinued that is unlikely as FIAT is in a building up mode with a good focus on the Indian market.

So go ahead and buy your T-Jet once the family and friends take a ride they will know!!

Cheers!
Old 9th April 2015, 10:36   #2565
BHPian

Guys, I will be replacing my battery for my T-Jet soon. Any suggested battery? Better to go for a higher ah one?

Most Viewed