Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2015, 10:58   #2581
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Hi, what is the mileage you get in Bangalore city traffic?
6.5 to 7.5 depending on the situation. I have the AC on all the time, and never switch off at signals. Sometimes I get to go through the intersection on the third green because there are so many vehicles stacked up. And this engine absolutely hates idling; mileage drops like a rock during idling. It is also because I accelerate briskly to get away from congestion and slow pokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
It's between 6 and 8 km/L for me in the city with AC on all the time. If I'm lucky and calm on the highways and _not_ on the BLR-Mysore highway, it might go all the way up to 15.
Ha! I'm not the only one then! Thanks Naresh, this makes me feel good! Misery loves company, you know!

Of course, with this car it is impossible to be calm. Maybe with the MJD, certainly not with the T-Jet.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th April 2015 at 12:40. Reason: Spelling errors
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 16:00   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to Fiat dealer in Hyderabad and following is an offer on Linea Tjet Emotion manufactured in 2015:
On-Road 11.27L
Free Insurance + 20K Exchange Bonus + 20K Cash Discount. On-road comes to around 10.5L.
No offers on Active and Dynamic Tjet variants.
How is Tjet Emotion compared to Vento Tsi comfortline?
Old 20th April 2015, 16:24   #2583
BHPian

Well,

The last few days have been a bit hectic - so could not update on my purchase decision.

Am facing a sort of dilemma.

I got what i think was an irresistible offer - a demo piece, 2014 model at 8 lacs OTR. Checked the vehicle this sunday with Dad. Though, overall the vehicle seemed in a good condition, there were some scratches on the back. The vehicle had done 251km.

Overall, it did not seem new and i am in a sort of a quandry. Should I go for a new one. I think with all discounts factored in, i may get it for about 10lacs.

Another factor - my wife will get a employee loan at about 2.50% which is not valid on the demo car since it is registered in the name of the dealership. Technically, it is a second hand vehicle and i think the interest rate would be 13-14%.

So, maybe the new car would make more sense.

Confused....please help!
Old 20th April 2015, 17:41   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopoco777 View Post
Well,

The last few days have been a bit hectic - so could not update on my purchase decision.

I got what i think was an irresistible offer - a demo piece, 2014 model at 8 lacs OTR. Checked the vehicle this sunday with Dad. Though, overall the vehicle seemed in a good condition, there were some scratches on the back. The vehicle had done 251km.

Overall, it did not seem new and i am in a sort of a quandry. Should I go for a new one. I think with all discounts factored in, i may get it for about 10lacs.

Another factor - my wife will get a employee loan at about 2.50% which is not valid on the demo car since it is registered in the name of the dealership. Technically, it is a second hand vehicle and i think the interest rate would be 13-14%.

Confused....please help!
My very simple, non calculative mind tells me that the demo car may be pushed to the extremes very early in its life, in some case even abused.

Difference being ~2.x lacks, I'd say go for the new car with the super low interest rate on the loan. New car happiness + peace of mind. This is what I would do (even without that low interest rate).

Good luck!
k_ajay is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 18:49   #2585
BHPian

Quote:
Well,

Confused....please help!
BTW I have literally witnessed how the car is abused. Till date I never drove my own car the way I drove the demo. I did a fishtail on demo ..

My recommendation is go for a new one since a used T-Jet of any age does not make sense to be priced at 8L.
Old 20th April 2015, 18:52   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Well

Confused....please help!
An employee loan of 2.5%. Duh. Go for a new car. No brainer.
Old 20th April 2015, 19:01   #2587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I did it!

Still I'm happy to know there's nothing wrong with my car; for a long time I had a sneaking suspicion something was wrong. Now I know it's me and the road/traffic situation, so I'm at peace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
It's between 6 and 8 km/L for me in the city with AC on all the time. If I'm lucky and calm on the highways and _not_ on the BLR-Mysore highway, it might go all the way up to 15.
Welcome to the club. T-Jet is meant for one person with 2 souls- a money saver OR an enthusiast lol ! Mind it that the souls are mutually exclusive.

Coming to the point, I have managed to make it cough 19.9 to 20 kmpl in BLR-Mysuru and on the way back 11-14 since its downhill/uphill while forward/return journey respectively.
In city I feel someone has hard coded the MID to 2 settings lately. Its either 9.9 or 11.2 and nothing in between.
Yesterday(sunday) driving from whitefield to garuda mall and back gave an average of 11.2 with not so sedate driving. I think the FE has improved after replacing the spark plugs.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 08:54   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The pull tabs are located in the rear parcel tray on either side.
By the way, one the pull tabs slipped in to the slot. Spent quite some time getting it out. It is not easily accessible from the boot area as well. After I did manage to get it out, I put a plastic cable tie with a big loop so they don't slip in to the slots again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
Successfully completed 1,15,000 kms on my linea multi jet without any issues. Now planning to get TJet.
If you have a lot of running, I would not get a T Jet or any petrol car for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Hi, what is the mileage you get in Bangalore city traffic?
Based on tankful to tankful method, 7kmpl is the lowest I have seen. On average, you can get between 8-9kmpl. My highway best has been 15.6kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
How is Tjet Emotion compared to Vento Tsi comfortline?
If space and ease of driving is the priority, I'd pick the Vento. I also find the VW Tsi engine to be smoother and a bit more efficient. If it is pure driving pleasure that you want, it is the Linea all the way.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:11   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
6.5 to 7.5 depending on the situation. I have the AC on all the time, and never switch off at signals. Sometimes I get to go through the intersection on the third green because there are so many vehicles stacked up. And this engine absolutely hates idling; mileage drops like a rock during idling. It is also because I accelerate briskly to get away from congestion and slow pokes.
Oops! Thats Accord V6 territory and close to an Evo X. For a manual car with a 1.4L engine, these are pretty abysmal.
Old 21st April 2015, 09:41   #2590
BHPian

I read in the paper that Volvo A/C city buses get 5 kmpl; don't know how true that is.

My 1994 3.0L V6 Camry in the US gave better mileage than the T-Jet even in city traffic. And it had gobs more torque and power, completely flat curve. A T-Jet owner would swoon if he drove that.
Old 21st April 2015, 10:04   #2591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read in the paper that Volvo A/C city buses get 5 kmpl; don't know how true that is
Yeah its close, around 3-4kmpl is what they average.

Quote:
My 1994 3.0L V6 Camry in the US gave better mileage than the T-Jet even in city traffic.
This is hard to believe. As you have owned both, you know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Oops! Thats Accord V6 territory and close to an Evo X. For a manual car with a 1.4L engine, these are pretty abysmal.
I agree that economy in general is poor on a T Jet. An Accord V6, Evo X should be a lot worse. It would be a miracle if they can manage >5kmpl. A Kizashi automatic manages about 5kmpl in the city cycle.
Old 21st April 2015, 10:14   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I agree that economy in general is poor on a T Jet. An Accord V6, Evo X should be a lot worse. It would be a miracle if they can manage >5kmpl. A Kizashi automatic manages about 5kmpl in the city cycle.
Yeah, I guess most other users are reporting around 9kmpl for the Tjet which is pretty much realistic compared to the 6-7 TheTeacher is extracting from his ride.

From the tbhp official review of the Evo-X
Quote:
From brim to brim, 230 km of driving (20% city cruising + 20% dirt track + 30% spirited twisties + 30% high speed highway), that too 40% in “Sport” and 60% in “Normal” drank a good 43.5 Liters. That’s about 5.3 km/L. At this rate, the 55 L fuel tank would take you about 292 km till the last drop.
But then, we are talking about a beast of an engine closing in at 300BHP and 360NM torque, and an automatic.
Old 21st April 2015, 10:16   #2593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This is hard to believe. As you have owned both, you know better.
23 - 24 MPG city, 28 Hwy. 3.74 liters per US gallon, 1.6 km per mile. I'll let you do the math. And it was a 5-speed automatic.

One "feature" it had that took some getting used to in the early days of ownership was that as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator pedal, the transmission would de-clutch immediately, and the car would be coasting. I am pretty sure this contributed tremendously to the better fuel economy. After a few hundred miles of driving, I got used to this and factored the coasting in my distance estimates and braking required.

This was the same powertrain that was in their Lexus ES300, by the way, so it was a very refined and high-end powertrain.
Old 21st April 2015, 10:30   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
23 - 24 MPG city, 28 Hwy. 3.74 liters per US gallon, 1.6 km per mile. I'll let you do the math.
That is close to 12kmpl on the highway cycle which is right for the engine capacity and definitely makes the T Jet economy look pathetic.

The thing with these small engined turbo petrol's is that they are economical only when driven right. Floor it or idle around in traffic and it is a different story. You wonder what the big deal was with downsizing engines. Oh wait, maybe a little less carbon foot print.
Old 21st April 2015, 11:30   #2595
BHPian

Small engines with turbochargers deliver good mileage only when driven right in certain conditions.

That's probably why almost everyone who drives on the highway reports anywhere between 13-20kmpl whereas the poor souls stuck in an urban crawl have to contend with single figure economy.

I think the problem is going too small on the displacement and relying almost entirely on the turbo for the 'performance'. In stop and go traffic and even non-peak hour urban driving, the turbo hardly gets its time in the sun. Which means, the pulling is all on the piddly engine, which is barely adequate for a car the size/weight of Linea.

The ideal turbocharging scenario would be to use an engine which is adequate even without a turbocharger, paired with a TC to bring the horses home. Such an appication would ensure that the mileage doesnt suffer drastically as the engine would not have it work harder to keep getting the car of the line.

For example, my N.A Palio GTX returns 9-10kmpl in the city run. If the T-Jet returns only similar or less mileage in similar situations, is the turbo charger the game changer as far as economy is concerned? (People who want to highlight difference in torque, please excuse. This discussion is mostly about non-turbo zone performance)

The T-Jet is atleast much better. I pity the Ecosport - Ecoboost variant owners. They apparently never get anything in excess of 7-8 in city. There is nothing that is 'Eco' about the engine if that's the case. It still burns a litre of fuel to go a short distance.

There are several articles online about turbocharging small engines and fuel economy results.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...aims/index.htm
thedragula is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks