Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 17:14   #2656
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopoco777 View Post
I am late in sharing the news....blame the hectic work schedule....friends the good news is that I am also a proud owner of the jet.
Congratulations on your T-Jet and wish you many miles of happy motoring! Keep the revs low during the run-in period and get the engine oil changed after the run in period (about 2-4k).

My T-Jet turned is happily chugging on at + 48,000kms (4.5years) and I am loving it!!

Quote:
7. Funny thing i noticed. At about 80km/hr - there was some vibration in the steering wheel. I noticed this twice. Is it normal or something to worry about?
This is most probably due to unbalanced wheels and should have been taken care of by the showroom at delivery. However, if the wheels are unbalanced, the vibration will occur each time you go above a certain speed. Get the wheels balanced asap and at a reliable / tried and tested place.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 18:07   #2657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Congratulations on your T-Jet and wish you many miles of happy motoring! Keep the revs low during the run-in period and get the engine oil changed after the run in period (about 2-4k).

My T-Jet turned is happily chugging on at + 48,000kms (4.5years) and I am loving it!!

This is most probably due to unbalanced wheels
Thanx PGNarain,

I was given to understand that a new car just does not require any wheel balancing.... i mean, shouldn't a new car be fine on this regard?

But, yes, the vibrations do exist above 80.

Another thing that i am noticing is that AC does not seem to be very effective. I have noticed this in my Delhi Gurgaon runs which take about 1-1.30 hrs depending upon traffic....so, after 30 odd minutes it seems the AC is blowing 'normal' air. Then after some time, the AC springs back in action. Any heads up on this?

True, Delhi is very hot but then i have observed my i10 cools better.

Ahh, gear change is troubling me..... not gotten used to it still... the gear lever gets stuck in neutral when i am changing and it just takes away from the driving pleasure.

I am getting used to the ride.... it is plush and a sea change as compared to my i10.

cheers,
Old 10th June 2015, 18:28   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Thanx PGNarain,

I was given to understand that a new car just does not require any wheel balancing.... i mean, shouldn't a new car be fine on this regard?

But, yes, the vibrations do exist above 80.

Another thing that i am noticing is that AC does not seem to be very effective. I have noticed this in my Delhi Gurgaon runs which take about 1-1.30 hrs depending upon traffic....so, after 30 odd minutes it seems the AC is blowing 'normal' air. Then after some time, the AC springs back in action. Any heads up on this?

True, Delhi is very hot but then i have observed my i10 cools better.

Ahh, gear change is troubling me..... not gotten used to it still... the gear lever gets stuck in neutral when i am changing and it just takes away from the driving pleasure.

I am getting used to the ride.... it is plush and a sea change as compared to my i10.

cheers,
Your new car indeed needs a wheel balancing. Mine was heavily unbalanced on the day of delivery and it use to wobble over 60kmph.Try to get hold of a good well known tyre shop for this job and try avoid Fiat after sales.

For the AC, at times its pretty intermittent. For me it works the other way round i.e. it chills more than expected. Try overriding the temperature to 17deg and check.

My wife too faces the gear changing problem and for her it stuck in neutral as well. It takes a while to get used to. But once you get hold of it you may start disliking other gear levers.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 20:33   #2659

Mod note: Back to back posts. Use Multi Quote [Quote +] Thanks.

Hi,
I have managed to shoot video of the H sign vanishing at 200 Kms. Is there a provision to upload it to Team BHP site? I have tried to upload it to You Tube from cell phone, but so far unsuccessful. However, the following snaps were taken at that time. I drove the T jet very slow to shoot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Heartiest congratulations on bringing home the jet.

Apollo Acceleres are quite rugged ones but with a substantial amount of road noise. If you are short on budget, then you stick to these for the next 30k kms or so. Or else swap to Michelin P3ST, Yoko A drives etc for smoother and less road noise drives.

Can you post the pic of the MMI with rear camera??
Hi, Ghodlur

The following snaps are of the MapMy India screen and of the reverse parking camera shot taken at night.The reverse parking camera is good but when we reverse too close to an object we won't be able to make out the actual distance. There is a 'STOP' marking which denotes the limit of reversing. But the reverse parking sensors does the job very well by continuous beeping.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-speedo1.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-speedo2.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-mapmy-india-image.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-reverse-camera-image.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th June 2015 at 21:19. Reason: Back to back posts. Use Multi Quote [Quote +] Thanks.
anilsdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2015, 18:53   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
For the AC in the Lineas I have observed the following: If you keep the temperature range between 21 to 23 and change the air circulation to internal the AC functions best and keeps performing as expected. The minute you go to full Auto and/or change the temperature range between 16 - 20, the AC does not work well.
Please try the same and update if you feel any difference in the functioning of the T-Jet AC.
xaero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 10:37   #2661
BHPian

Quote:
If you observe what I have mentioned in my post, I did say that the showroom should have taken car of this thing at the time of delivery and it is a shortcoming on their part. Do bring it to their notice when you visit them again. Having said that, there is no relation between unbalanced wheels and new / old car.

Please do not delay getting the wheels balanced asap, it is detrimental to both the tires and your driving experience and in the long run may cause additional wear and tear to other parts.

Quote:
Another thing that i am noticing is that AC does not seem to be very effective
Linea ACC is not as good as some the others in the market. In fact in the first generation Lineas it was even worse... but has been addressed incrementally. Though I still doubt it's efficacy in the searing Delhi heat. Staying in Mumbai, my car keeps up with the cooling requirements pretty well for most of the time since we are mostly fighting humid conditions.

Still I have opted for the P8 Car curtains which are invaluable.

http://www.amritrasindia.com/window_curtain/

Maybe you can check it out!!

Quote:
Gear box (and the seating + pedal position for some / most people) is the only fly in the ointment in what is otherwise a great driving car. You will get used to it, but it will never be as satisfying as the light and quick gearshifts of a Honda.

Last edited by PGNarain : 12th June 2015 at 10:41.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 14:38   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Heartiest Congratulations buddy. The aches of budget forces many to postpone the tyre swaps. Apollos are good tyres no doubt but are noisier.

Time to open an ownership thread and add lots of pics of the Jet.
Gee, I am not much of a writer - so, will share my experiences in this thread only.

Yes, photos are definitely pending - will post ASAP post sticking on the T-BHP stickers !!

Been almost a month, and the Jet has covered about 700km. Observations:

1.) I do not notice the shuddering above 80-90kmph which i initially did. Funny. Should drive a little more to pass any judgement.

2.) Did my first tankful method to find out the fuel efficiency. It was 10.5km/l.

3.) I have not generally not revved over 2000rpm. Well, Delhi Gurgaon traffic does not allow much scope for that. And considering my route - i am perfectly ok with the mileage

But a few times when i have had the opportunity to press the accelerator in 3rd gear - man, what joy ! The jet just hurtles forward.

4.) Hmm, well steering of my i10 feels like a gaming console joy-stick after driving the jet. I never knew, that the difference would be so stark and I would feel it so prominently considering that i have just driven 700km.

I am going for my first semi - long drive or rather highway drive from tomorrow. Family visit to Punjab. The total distance would be be 500 - 600km.

Will share my observations when i am back.

cheers,
locopoco777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:22   #2663
BHPian

My friend met with an accident wherein a large silver oak tree by the side of the road fell over his Linea ( during drive). He was returning home with his wife and child- thank God - none of them got injured. (Have been trying to post the pictures vouching that "tank" like build quality, but unable to upload here)
Old 4th July 2015, 22:28   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
My friend met with an accident wherein a large silver oak tree by the side of the road fell over his Linea ( during drive). He was returning home with his wife and child- thank God - none of them got injured. (Have been trying to post the pictures vouching that "tank" like build quality, but unable to upload here)
Shasha ,would love to see the picture. After all safety should be a priority but least looked at by majority of car owners in India when buying a car
Old 5th July 2015, 14:01   #2665
BHPian

Folks, I spoke with FIAT sales rep today regarding Linea. He said that FIAT is no longer providing extended warranty apart from the standard 3 years. He also mentioned that people who have paid for extended warranty from April along with their booking have not got it yet. Anybody else can confirm it ?
Old 5th July 2015, 17:30   #2666
BHPian

@ssateesh

Yes he's right. The standard warranty is class best, as it is. Apparently Fiat India are working out a new extended warranty arrangement with a different third-party agent, so.

An update after a year+ of owning the 2014 Linea t-jet Emotion, Sunbeam Gold:

Delightful experience every time: the brakes, the minimal lag, the far fewer gear shifts in flowing city traffic, and of course the highway performance, what with the turbo and the ride/handling/steering/road-holding, etc.

No issues with the car whatsoever. None.

We (my father, actually) has a 2009 Linea 1.4 Fire. Great car, but one that had a couple of niggles, and that for cost-target reasons was a tad under-specced in places (noise insulation esp tyre noise, and AC blower loudness, also clutch cylinder issue).

The new Linea is an epitome of refinement, now, better oem tyres, better sound dampening, butter smooth clutch action, really supple rather than a tad stiff-feeling ride quality despite the massively useful suv-like ground clearance, classy new interiors with the soft touch dashboard technical beige fabric insert etc. A few interior plastics are hard shiny, though, still, the only slight issue with the aesthetic experience of the cabin. Hardly need or care for the added equipment levels (cruise control, automatic wipers etc), but they're good to have I suppose.

The car got badly scraped and dented a few months ago. Not a good prospect at all, having to go to the dealer's FASS here in Gurgaon, Torque Motors, a somewhat mediocre operation. But the other, newer, FASS in Gurgaon, from the Faridabad dealer, DRS, was and has been excellent, consistently for both my and my parents' Fiats.

Well, we're a Fiat-fan family, have been for many a year, and are glad that Fiat's been good to me with this new car, as well as with the new post-Tata after-sales support quality. Some uneven-ness in service quality across different FASS even in the same city is an issue for FCA to improve on, especially in a cut-throat market like Delhi ncr.

Have to confess though that if given a chance I'd have chosen the Evo or the Avventura Abarth-ified t-jet over the new Linea, in a flash. The new Linea's 'cool'/'very classy' to drive and experience and live with, but now that am familiar and so keen on this turbopetrol, these other cars just seem to have that added frisson of indo-italian 'passion'/'lustiness'!
desdemona is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 13:33   #2667
BHPian

@desdemona : Thanks.

Folks, A query related to exshowroom price and discounts. Currently Fiat dealer is offering 50K cash discount on the Linea diesel emotion apart from Loyalty and corporate discounts. The exshowroom price without discount is above 10 Lakhs. In KA this falls under 17% tax as against 14% for below 10 lakhs. When I asked the dealer if he will apply this cash discount on the ex-showroom price he said he can't do that as it is illegal. If I need it I need to sign a letter for the dealer which says I asked for it and I take all the risks. Can anyone please advise how to proceed on this ?
Old 6th July 2015, 13:57   #2668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
@desdemona : Thanks.

Folks, A query related to exshowroom price and discounts. Currently Fiat dealer is offering 50K cash discount on the Linea diesel emotion apart from Loyalty and corporate discounts. The exshowroom price without discount is above 10 Lakhs. In KA this falls under 17% tax as against 14% for below 10 lakhs. When I asked the dealer if he will apply this cash discount on the ex-showroom price he said he can't do that as it is illegal. If I need it I need to sign a letter for the dealer which says I asked for it and I take all the risks. Can anyone please advise how to proceed on this ?
What you are asking them to do is underwrite the invoice to get into the 14% tax slab. As far as I am aware of, the discount is not on the ex showroom price, it is applicable on the on road price.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 16:07   #2669
BHPian

Okay fellas.. The jet did it's first highway trip and in the process crossed the 1000 km mark too.

The trip was from Delhi to Punjab on NH1. I was doing this stretch after some years. And boy isn't it a pleasure to drive on this higway! The entire stretch is dotted with flyovers so that you bypass the towns in between. Admittedly, some stretched still need to be completed. But broadly, it was a pleasure to drive on this highway. I usually have to travel to Bhiwadi/Neemrana on the Delhi - Jaipur Highway for my work - and when i compare these two highways - The Delhi - Ludhiana (NH1) one is way better.

Coming to the trip. The total distance covered was approx. 700km - 95% of which was highway driving. Four adults + 1 kid + normal holiday luggage.

Bummer - got challaned for over speeding after crossing Panipat.

Heck, getting a speeding ticket on the Nationl Highway for driving at 106km/h had me pulling my hair out of my head !!

So, for most part of the journey drove sedately hovering between 90 & 100km/h - revving at 2000 - 2200rpm.

The journey enabled me to experience the "ride" extensively. I was fairly impressed by the way the Jet handled the small potholes and undulations that one finds on the road. The same in my i10 had me nervous & the backseat occupants flying high in the air. But here, The Jet just sort of flew. Many a times, I was nervous if a little sort of bump (that one encounters especially when one is about to ascend a flyover or have just descended a flyover - when the tarring on the road leaves the bump) that the car will give a nasty groan and throw all occupants in a turmoil. But ho ! we just glided. On almost all the bumps. Must say, this was a very impressive aspect of the Jet.

At 90 - 100, the Jet feels absolutely serene....the rpm counter at a shade over 2000...straight road and low traffic. Bliss.

Although, I never had to do any emergency braking, but felt very much in control whenever I had to brake.

Gee, I never did any speeding maneuvers...except one. Was coasting along at my sedate 90 while coming back. Some cars were zipping by and i was like let me also mash the pedal. Suddenly, i see a Dezire (or was it a Swift, do not recall) in my rear mirror coming very fast. Just when it was at breathing distance, I stepped on the gas. Ahh, the pleasure to see it disappear behind was priceless. Before I knew it I was a little over 130 when I settled back to my relaxed 90.

Ohh, I also tried the cruise control on the way back. Had totally forgotten how to operate it. Tinkered a little bit here and there till I figured it. Felt nice. Would have covered about 40-50km in it. The fun part was when you re-engage cruise control after a braking - the car just accelerates till it reaches the set limit. It was fun.

So, broadly - a satisfying journey. Parents were overall happy with the back-seat comfort. Said, they did not feel tired after the journey. Mom did not like the cooling much. Said my i10 cooled better.

Tyre noise was not so intrusive.

The only thing disappointing was the mileage. Tankfull method and it read 13.2kmpl. Hmm, I am racking my head. 10.5 in Delhi and 13.2 at highways and that too at "boring" speeds. Mysteries of Fiat.

Cheers,
locopoco777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 23:45   #2670
Senior - BHPian

The open road milage will improve as the engine keeps opening up. Around 8-10K kms it will become butter smooth and will really become rev happy. The city mileage will remain thereabouts with 100% AC and a bit better without it.

For lack of cooling report it to the FASS, it may be 'cause of a leaky O ring. My Jet had the same issue and after the O ring replacement it cools very well. BTW, does the new jet have the rear ac vent. If not get it affixed, the plumbing is already there, it's very effective in keeping the rear passengers happy.

Quote:
The only thing disappointing was the mileage. Tankfull method and it read 13.2kmpl. Hmm, I am racking my head. 10.5 in Delhi and 13.2 at highways and that too at "boring" speeds. Mysteries of Fiat.

Cheers,
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks