Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:52   #2686
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Hello folks, Can anyone tell me if there is an isofix for child's seat in this vehicle? I saw some international versions of linea having it. Not sure if the indian version has it. The specs sheet also doesn't mention it ?
Old 25th July 2015, 10:05   #2687
BHPian

Hi Guys, need some advice.

My T-Jet has been giving a recurring problem for quite sometime. Check engine light comes on and you can feel rough running, 'missing' as told by Fiat technician. This problem has now occurred five times. Initially it occurred at shorter intervals, 500 to 1000 km. Last time it recurred after about 2000 km.

Each time Fiat technician have diagnosed the problem to be related to either spark plug or the ignition coil. One by one, all spark plugs and ignition coils have been changed. I have been insisting that there must be some underlying problem which must be causing this. However, Fiat guys are insisting that each time problem was attributed to different spark plug or ignition coil. They have been changing the components under warranty.

I feel there must be some other root cause of the problem. Request inputs on why it could be happening and what I could do. Also, how I can escalate the issue.
Old 25th July 2015, 10:34   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm1967 View Post

My T-Jet has been giving a recurring problem for quite sometime. Check engine light comes on and you can feel rough running, 'missing' as told by Fiat technician. This problem has now occurred five times. Initially it occurred at shorter intervals, 500 to 1000 km. Last time it recurred after about 2000 km.
Hi,

First of all tell them to show you the codes from the OBD reader. Any codes related to fuel system?

Don't overlook the ignition cables, if they are faulty sometimes it can result in misfiring. Bad fuel can also give trouble. Only way to know is to confirm that there is no other codes other than the ones related to ignition system.

PS : How much has the car clocked and when was the last service done?
Umesh Kumar61 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 12:47   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh Kumar61 View Post
Hi,

First of all tell them to show you the codes from the OBD reader. Any codes related to fuel system?

Don't overlook the ignition cables, if they are faulty sometimes it can result in misfiring. Bad fuel can also give trouble. Only way to know is to confirm that there is no other codes other than the ones related to ignition system.

PS : How much has the car clocked and when was the last service done?
Dear Umesh,

Thanks. I didn't see the codes myself but did ask them if there were any other codes. They told that there were no other faults detected. Next time will see for myself as you have advised.

I fill up normal fuel. Is it not advisable in T-Jet?

Car has clocked just 13000 km and it is nearing 3 years! I drive very less as mostly tarvel in official vehicle. In fact the SA told me I needed to drive car more for it not to have such issues! Last service was done in Sep last.

Thanks again & regards.
Old 25th July 2015, 16:03   #2690
BHPian

Quote:

I fill up normal fuel.
Only normal unleaded petrol should be used. Fiat strongly advises the same.

By bad fuel I meant adulterated fuel. A friend of mine had a similar problem when a bad petrol pump filled his car with adulterated petrol. He drained the remaining fuel and refilled with good fuel. The problem has never surfaced since then.

Do you refuel from different places? if so, refill from the same reliable pump and see if it does any good.

Regards,
Umesh
Umesh Kumar61 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 18:15   #2691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh Kumar61 View Post

Do you refuel from different places? if so, refill from the same reliable pump and see if it does any good.

Umesh
Thanks. Yes I do refuel from different places. Will try and identify a reliable pump. Hopefully the problem is sorted out. I am basically concerned about a situation where a major problem surfaces once the warranty is over. Thankfully over a year of warranty still left.
Old 6th August 2015, 12:37   #2692
BHPian

Guys, the more I come across these pricing fiascos with these new launches, like the Creta and now the S-Cross, the more convinced I am of the absolute value for money the Fiat offers in the form of the T-Jet Linea.

Styling - Check.
Safety - Check.
Service - Check (not an issue in most places nowadays).
Performance - Double check.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:54   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Guys, the more I come across these pricing fiascos with these new launches, like the Creta and now the S-Cross, the more convinced I am of the absolute value for money the Fiat offers in the form of the T-Jet Linea.

Styling - Check.
Safety - Check.
Service - Check (not an issue in most places nowadays).
Performance - Double check.
Ground clearance of a crossover - Check
thesilentone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 16:14   #2694
BHPian

Quote:

Each time Fiat technician have diagnosed the problem to be related to either spark plug or the ignition coil. One by one, all spark plugs and ignition coils have been changed. I have been insisting that there must be some underlying problem which must be causing this. However, Fiat guys are insisting that each time problem was attributed to different spark plug or ignition coil. They have been changing the components under warranty.

I feel there must be some other root cause of the problem. Request inputs on why it could be happening and what I could do. Also, how I can escalate the issue.
Ask them if they can change the ECU or give a spare one to test. Some-times missing occurs if the ignition coil does not pass the current and ignition coil is controlled by the ECU.
Old 6th August 2015, 17:27   #2695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
Ground clearance of a crossover - Check
Ground clearance
Creta - 183 mm.
S-Cross - 180 mm.
Linea T-Jet - 190 mm Check Check
johy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:47   #2696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
Ask them if they can change the ECU or give a spare one to test. Some-times missing occurs if the ignition coil does not pass the current and ignition coil is controlled by the ECU.
Dear Mahadev,

Thanks. If the problem recurs, will definitely confirm if there was an issue with ECU. So far they have insisted that the problem was due to ignition coil or the spark plug.
Regards.
Old 8th August 2015, 21:11   #2697
BHPian

Hey Friends,
Just wanted to share a quick update -
last week we successfully completed our Bangalore-Paris run in our Tjet. It's due I update here particularly because there were a lot of people who helped out with opinions that mattered when we went in for the buy.

Needless to say - it performed like a dream.

Apologize for the short update - I do hope to share and elaborate more as I find time. For now it is catching up on a lot of pending assignments that we had put on-hold for the 111 Days we were on the road.

Feels great to be sharing this news here with fellow-mates!
Wishing all Journey-of-a-lifetime, atleast once!
Cheers!
: )
andyonwheels is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 21:56   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
Hey Friends,
Just wanted to share a quick update -
last week we successfully completed our Bangalore-Paris run in our Tjet.

Needless to say - it performed like a dream.

: )
Thanks Andy..I followed your trip on Facebook and other sites ..and really reassuring to know how the TJET performed. Hope to read a nice travelog here when you find the time.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:30   #2699
BHPian

We will soon start working on the video-documentary. Hard to share any eta, as we still catching up from where we left, especially the school for the kids.
But it will be done. : )
Old 11th August 2015, 01:32   #2700
BHPian

Although the Linea was delivered to me on the 15th of last month, Torrid Motors completed the favour of getting the registration done only by around the end of the month. Excruciating wait later, I drove the Linea around gingerly for a couple of days, getting used to the size and the bulk and braking everytime an auto came dangerously close by. Now am far more comfortable with the car and have begun to move around a bit more confidently.

However, having the car only for approx 10 days, and additionally my wife having to be hospitalized for dengue meant that most of time the Linea was on duty between hospital and home. Overnight parking at the hospital also meant retards could practice parallel parking like Mr. Bean at my expense. Thus the Linea got her first scratch and some paint off the front bumper from a Class A idiot who ought not to have been given a license in the first place. Anyway, more on that later.

I've been trying to pen an initial ownership report but haven't found much time to complete it. Also have not managed to click decent photographs of the car other than from the mobile.

The GTX meanwhile has spent a few days at the FNG for investigation of sticky gear issue (the gears would jam up sometimes when the car is running, but would otherwise slot easily when the engine was off). I managed to pick up the car today from the garage. And as luck (or not) would have it, was held up in office till about 11.45 pm. She was low on fuel, so tanked up near office and drove back 20km back home in sparse traffic and almost no signals.

That brings me to the reason for this post.

Driving the GTX almost after a gap of 20 days (and 10 days of driving the T-Jet) was a revelation. The GTX pulls cleanly in all gears and emits a nice throaty growl at 3000rpm in 4th gear. I was also able to appreciate the Michelins (done about 35k km) more as the silent ride (as compared to the Acceleres in the Linea) could let me concentrate on the symphony of the engine. I had a huge grin plastered over my face as I pulled in to park her and evil brain nagged me to do yet another drive. The old school steering with a thick leather wrap, the stalks in the correct place, driver oriented dashboard and the better seating position all felt instantly at home.

The question is, is the T-Jet the true successor of the 1.6 GTX.

The answer is NO.

Not that the Linea isn't fun, but the GTX is F.U.N.!!

Sure, the Linea T-Jet is bigger, marginally more spacious, arguably safer and probably more reliable (too early to speak!) but the it lacks the urgency and the lurch of the GTX. The Linea is drive by wire whereas the GTX has a manually controlled throttle. In other words, in both the cars, there is cause and effect, but in the GTX there is a taut cable between the cause and effect. Its difficult to explain in any other terms.

I may well change my opinion once I spend more time with the Linea and/or once I remap her. The T-Jet is the logical successor to the 1.6 GTX but maybe not the spiritual successor, atleast not in the Linea in its current form. Perhaps, in the Abarth Punto, but only time will tell.

This is the reason I will still keep the GTX. No amount of logic can explain it to someone who expects that the GTX will be sold in light of the New Linea. But even if I sell it, it will most probably be to some guy who will lowball me and I may expect to make some 50-60k by selling it. The 50-60k will soon be claimed by routine monthly expenses or an unexpected illness. But the smile it puts on your face as long as it runs, is priceless.

Good night! Signing off with a pic.
thedragula is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks