Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 20:46   #2731
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
Hello All,
This is my first post on team-bhp and I chose this thread specifically for it as I followed the discussions over here very closely which ultimately led to me becoming the proud owner of the this Italian Beauty on November 2nd this year. She has been christened ELSA, after the character in the animated movie Frozen(as per my fiance), for me it signifies the tiger in the movie Born Free. ELSA currently has 1600 kilometers on her odometer. Looking forward to an awesome journey with her. Also, she gives company to the 2009 FIAT PUNTO Multijet in our family.

Off-topic: Why am I not able to upload an image here?
1600 km in less than 10 days. It shows how much good time you are having with Elsa.
Between what's the on-road price of her, just curious

girish
Old 13th November 2015, 20:54   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post

Off-topic: Why am I not able to upload an image here?
Congratulations Vinodh,

Wish you many happy miles ahead.

On the other question, check the size of the image you are trying to upload and also the format. Uploading images via manage attachments is a pretty straight forward process provided the requirement is met.

Looking forward for some pics and an ownership review too .

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 13th November 2015, 22:15   #2733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
1600 km in less than 10 days. It shows how much good time you are having with Elsa.

Between what's the on-road price of her, just curious

girish

She's too addictive 😍 Am getting married this month end and hence we wanted Linea to be a part of the celebration including the Pre-Wedding shoot and that explains the kilometres put in as we traveled to few places for the shoot.

The car was bought in the company lease policy and hence the on-road price does not apply to our purchase as the insurance and the tax components are taken care by the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Congratulations Vinodh,

Wish you many happy miles ahead.

On the other question, check the size of the image you are trying to upload and also the format. Uploading images via manage attachments is a pretty straight forward process provided the requirement is met.

Looking forward for some pics and an ownership review too .

Cheers,
pdma.

Thanks for the wishes @pdma. Coming the image query, I get an error dialog "Security Error: You might not have necessary permission" something similar to that. 😟

Ownership review will be delayed due to my wedding this month end.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th November 2015 at 22:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use multi-quote/QUOTE+ to quote multiple posts and respond to them.
Old 16th November 2015, 21:23   #2734
BHPian

Hi all. Its been time since I shared my experience in owning the Tjet Emotion - Sunbeamgold. Did not have a chance to actually experience the beauty in full flow till last week when I went out to Silvassa and then to Pune from Mumbai. Must admit that it was indeed a wonderful feeling driving the Linea for the first time outside city limits. I had one major concern ever since I got hold of the Linea in March this year - fuel efficiency - a meagre 8 kmpl after having done about 4k kms. I had read here from fellow mates that while this was the norm in city conditions, it was a different ballgame on the highways. Indeed so true!! I travelled about 700 km over the past 5 days, and I got a decent FE of 13.8 kmpl for this distance. Wanted to check the highest FE I could manage so did a Trip B from Hinjewadi to Mumbai and to my excitement got an avg of 16.8 kmpl. I was so satisfied, since for me ride and handling was never a concern as these were anyway top notch. FE improved significantly on the cruise at speeds in the 70-80 kmph range.*

Further pushing the throttle affected the FE adversely which is intuitive. Also tried revving up the engine till wife permitted - happy to share that even at high speeds, the Linea stayed really stable and calm. Of course, did not keep that speed for long. For buddies staying in Mumbai, just one piece of advice - try avoiding the BP petrol pump on the western express highway at Goregaon neat the Hub mall. A big cheat. I had just about got into reserve fuel (7 ltrs) and asked the guys to fill the tank complete. The meter showed 44.1 litres well before the tank was upto the brim. I asked him to stop immediately telling that the tank capacity was 45 l and I already had about 5-6 l in the reserve. How could the meter show 44 l!! Talking to the police patrol vehicle standing just next to the petrol pump was also fruitless as they mentioned that I should lodge a complain to the police station. Speaking to the owner of the pump was also of no use.*

Also needed some suggestion - some moron scrapped past and made a wavy dent and deep scratches on the left rear fender adjoining the gate. Whats the best solution to get my beauty back in shape and the best place in Mumbai (reasonably priced) to do it. Not able to attach pics

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th December 2015 at 07:47. Reason: Mention of over-speeding
Old 18th November 2015, 10:12   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
wavvy dent and deep scratches on the left rear fender adjoining the gate. Whats the best solution to get my beauty back in shape and the best place in Mumbai (reasonably priced) to do it.
Just take it to a Fiat service station nearest to your home and get the dent removed and painted. Nothing else works.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 10:36   #2736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiaashish View Post
I travelled about 700 km over the past 5 days, and I got a decent FE of 13.8 kmpl for this distance. Wanted to check the highest FE I could manage so did a Trip B from Hinjewadi to Mumbai and to my excitement got an avg of 16.8 kmpl. I was so satisfied, since for me ride and handling was never a concern as these were anyway top notch. FE improved significantly on the cruise at speeds in the 70-80 kmph range.
With sedate driving, you can get even more. My personal best in the T-Jet is 21.9 kmpl for a distance of 125 kms between Coimbatore and Salem.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 18:02   #2737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
With sedate driving, you can get even more. My personal best in the T-Jet is 21.9 kmpl for a distance of 125 kms between Coimbatore and Salem.
I took another test drive of the TJet as i tried to come out of the Abarth or Linea TJet jinx.
This time i chose to focus somewhat on the mileage part.I did a pretty long test drive of around 70 kms.

It seemed that the Linea TJet returns best mileage if driven in NA mode that is without the turbo spooling up. I noticed i got the best figures if i shifted pretty early at around 1400/1500 RPMs, which is not a problem due to the availability of decent torque.

I noticed in moving city traffic i could manage between 12-14 and in some instances even 15.

Once we were out on the open, keeping the RPM steady at around 1400/1500 and the speed hovering around 80KMPH i consistently saw a figure of 20-21 on the MID.

On spooling up the turbo to have some fun the mileage always bottomed out , the lowest being 4KMPL while i was trying to get some 0-100 timings.

Again this was my personal observation and that too on a demo vehicle.

Just wanted to share my observations with everyone.
adneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 15:32   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Just wanted to share my observations with everyone.
Adeo, I confirm your observations in practical life driving experience too. I have the car since 2011 and do a lot of highway runs on the Delhi - Jalandhar Highway and I stick to 90 (which is the speed limit) and I get a fuel efficiency of 16-17 kmpl easily with AC on. And when you try to have fun on some stretches of roads, the fuel efficiency drops to 14-15 on a highway.
Old 26th November 2015, 03:01   #2739
BHPian

Bangalore to Paris in Fiat Linea T-Jet!

Came across this article about a couple that drove all the way from Bangalore, India to Paris, France in their Fiat Linea T-Jet. They completed a journey of 22,780 kilometres, where they travelled through 11 countries, and more than 50 cities in a matter of just 111 days!

Hats off to them for their patience and determination to drive such a huge distance, and this also says a lot about the reliability of the car, as they said that their Fiat Linea T-Jet performed well without giving them any maintenance or performance issues

Source: http://www.motoroids.com/news/team-l...t-linea-t-jet/

An excerpt from the article:
Quote:
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) India congratulated the Baid family on the completion of their interesting expedition from Bangalore to Paris by road. Team L.I.F.E (Little Indian Family of Explorers) completed a journey of 22,780 kilometres where they travelled through 11 countries and more than 50 cities in a matter of just 111 days.
Team L.I.F.E comprised of Anand Baid, 38, a film-maker, animation professional and educator at Native Puppets Animations; Punita Baid, 37, a program manager at Native Puppets; Yash Baid, 12, a grade 7 student and an avid football lover; Dhriti Baid, 8, grade 3 student, aspiring foreign language linguist, dancer and their 5th special team member was the Fiat Linea T- Jet.
The Fiat Linea T-Jet is powered by a 1.4-litre petrol engine which generates power of 114 PS at 5000 rpm and a max torque of 207 Nm at 2200 rpm the power is sent to the wheels by a 5-speed gearbox. In this car the family travelled across countries experiencing their culture, ways of life and the different kinds of people. They covered India, Nepal, Tibet-China, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain and France. The Team L.I.F.E expressed that their travel home, Fiat Linea T- Jet, enabled them to cruise through all types of terrains. They praised their car for letting them have an uninterrupted enjoyable family time. Packed into their trusted Linea, they traversed through the scenic Silk Route, the Himalayan mountain range, climbed sand dunes in Western China and experienced the splendid cultural practices of Central Asia. They also visited the world’s largest burning crater called Darvaza which has been burning for over 40 years now.
On this occasion, Team L.I.F.E said that prior to the onset of the journey, many raised doubts about how they would pull-off such a long journey in a 2 wheel drive sedan, but their Fiat Linea T- Jet performed well without giving them any maintenance or performance issues. Team LIFE ensured they visit most of the renowned places on their tour. They visited places like Caspian Sea in Iran, the Vatican City, Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona, Palace of Versailles and the Millau Viaduct bridge.
Now for some pictures:
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-bangaloretoparisbyroad6.jpg.pagespeed.ce.knjl9jmo0q.jpg
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-bangaloretoparisbyroad3.jpg.pagespeed.ce.vdmu6qu_gr.jpg
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-teaml.i.f.e.fiatlineatjetbangaloretoparis11024x576.jpg.pagespeed.ce.bpwlrokpwm.jpg
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-bangaloretoparisbyroad2.jpg.pagespeed.ce.k4ssvu_uqt.jpg

Surprised that they are not from Team BHP
Joxster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 03:20   #2740
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Paris in Fiat Linea T-Jet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Surprised that they are not from Team BHP
Indeed a great trip. The member is on Team-bhp and had posted a thread about this trip as well. Don't know whether it was deleted or moved back to the assembly section.

Anyway, what they achieved is truly inspirational. Many among us keep dream about 'that grand trip', and these guys did it. Kudos to the Baid family!
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 08:22   #2741
Senior - BHPian

That was BHPian 'andyonwheels'. Check his post here: An epic TL is in the making.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3774031
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 12:22   #2742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Indeed a great trip. The member is on Team-bhp and had posted a thread about this trip as well. Don't know whether it was deleted or moved back to the assembly section.

Anyway, what they achieved is truly inspirational. Many among us keep dream about 'that grand trip', and these guys did it. Kudos to the Baid family!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That was BHPian 'andyonwheels'. Check his post here: An epic TL is in the making.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3774031
Thanks for letting me know guys. I had a gut feeling that it was a TBHPian, but couldn't find any TBHP stickers on the car in the pictures, so wasn't sure.

My hearty congratulations to Mr.Anand Baid and his family for successfully completing a trip that most of us can only dream of. A true TBHPian who Loves Cars, Lives Cars .

Sir, if you read this post, please know that we are all looking forward to read the most epic travelogue on TBHP, and would be glued to the thread. I am sure it would take a mammoth effort to write, but would be very worth the while, and a great joy for all of us to read
Old 11th December 2015, 14:42   #2743
BHPian

Well, It's been about a little over 6 months & 4400 odd km on the odo and the first service is due. So, i figured an update and some suggestions (from the members) are in order:

Anecdote 1: Been only 2 weeks since the Jet came in. I am with a colleague in the basement car-park where the Jet is parked. Suddenly, a gent comes and asks how the car drives and that he is looking forward to buying it. Wants to know about the mileage also. I tell him that the car is only 2 weeks old - good to drive, not much idea on fuel efficiency etc etc.

Anecdote 2: Almost 4 months after the Jet was delivered. Again in the office parking lot. As I was about to get in - I saw a visiting card nestled against the drivers window. I absently took it and as I sat inside, I saw a paper wedged in the wiper. I got off and took the paper. It was a letter written by the gent whose card I was holding - saying he had met me 4 months back when my car was new (same gent of anecdote 1, I then realized). He was close to buying the Jet and wanted to speak to me. I called him back on the number that was in the letter/visiting card and he was excited to hear from me. Generally gave him a feedback on my thoughts on the car after 4 months of driving. So much for customer feedback

After driving the Jet for 6 months, i can positively say it is heck of a machine. Day when I leave a little early and hit NH8 from Rajeev Chowk towards Delhi and press the accelerator - it is one of the most awesome feelings ! The way the Jet shoots ahead make sometimes the other traffic in slow mo.

Handling is too good - compared to my earlier drive, i10. Heck, there just is no comparison. The car is sure -footed and overtaking and zig - zag maneouvres whenever employed, handled with aplomb - no nervousness at all.

The steering is very precise. Actually, I did not know the meaning of this line till i drove the Jet. Whenever, I drive my i10 at little higher speeds at bends - then the meaning of what a "precise steering" is becomes even abundantly clear.

The "kitna deti hai" element is also in check, thankfully. I am managing a decent 10.2 - 10.4 types.

About a month and a half back, while coming back from office, there was sudden shuddering from the left bonnet of the car and a ringing - wheezing sort of a noise starting coming. Somehow, I managed to drive home. Took the car to the DRS Fiat service station in Faridabad and got it rectified. I am not sure why the noise was - the service guys replaced 1.0" ring - I was in some hurry and did not enquire much. This was done free of cost.

Gee, now I feel that still hear that ringing/wheezing noise - although very muted. Do not know whether it is there or my ears playing tricks. otherwise, the car is running fine.

My first service is due. The Kashyap Okhla showroom is close to where I stay though I bought from DRS, Faridabad. Would you guys recommend Kashyap over DRS?

I am planning to change the engine oil as well - what do you think?

cheers,
locopoco777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 17:42   #2744
BHPian

Had some free time today so decided to go check out the Jetta 1.4 Tsi at the VW Whitefield showroom off the ORR. Thought it would be fun to see how it compared to the T-jet, but was shocked to find that they don't have a test drive vehicle. Reason: they don't sell many, so no need to keep one (I later called the Palace Cross dealer to be told the exact same thing). I really don't understand how one is supposed to invest 20L (yeah, that's what the comfortline costs in Bangalore) without a test drive !!!

I decided to move on, and asked for a test drive of the Vento Tsi only to be told I could try the Polo Tsi which is identical to the Vento, and this is what they tell all their customers. In short, they don't have a test drive Vento. Since I was fighting a loosing battle, I decided to reacquaint myself with the Polo which I had driven a long time back before aquiring the T-jet, and took it for a short spin. The car had done about 6k on the odo, so may have been abused, but anyway here are my thoughts.

1. The quality of the interior finish is clearly superior to the T-jet. No contest on that front.
2. Being used to a Swift and now the T-jet I found the seats low, but that's a really small quibble.
3. I found the slight jerkiness at crawl speed incredibly annoying, but once on the move that is one smooth motor. I also found a slight lag between throttle input and response during normal driving compared to the T-jet. Sports mode was much better, but I still felt the lag.
4. Brakes were good, but not as reassuring as the T-jet and the steering was light, but not something that would bother me.

The Vento Tsi Highline cost 13.3L on road (no discounts) vs the T-jet emotion, which I assume you can still get for about 11.3L. That's about 3 years worth of gas, doing 10k a year @ 10 km/l. It would be a no contest for me if I had to do it all over again.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 20:20   #2745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I really don't understand how one is supposed to invest 20L without a test drive
I agree and it is the reason why you see very few examples of this car on the road. It was only this evening I saw a white Jetta Tsi, chauffeur driven off course. Another reason for customers to skip the Jetta Tsi is the lack of an automatic. They should have made it available as a variant. It is the same story with Skoda, they don't have a test car for the 1.4 Tsi.

Quote:
I decided to move on, and asked for a test drive of the Vento Tsi only to be told I could try the Polo Tsi which is identical to the Vento
Was it Palace Cross? I will be surprised if it is. When a colleague wanted to drive a Vento Tsi, last year, it was palace cross that offered the car. Apple VW did not have a Vento Tsi test car. The dealer experience was much better at Palace Cross too. Ended up buying the car from them.

Quote:
I found the slight jerkiness at crawl speed incredibly annoying
Jerkiness does surface once in a while and it has to do with the gearbox, not the engine. The engine is without doubt a more refined unit than a T Jet. I get to drive, travel in a 1.2l Tsi on a Gt and Vento quite often. Both the cars suffer from occasional jerks in bumper to bumper conditions. It is not a reproducible problem.

The Sport mode is epic. Gear shifts at the red line and rev matching when you come down the gears. It is awesome.

Quote:
the steering was light, but not something that would bother me.
The steering is one of the best Eps units I have experienced. Far superior to an Ecosport, any of the Hyundai's. Weighs up beautifully as you build speed. Yes; it is nowhere as direct but considering today's trend of everything moving to electric steering, it is very good.

Quote:
It would be a no contest for me if I had to do it all over again.
The Vento is expensive because of its advanced mechanicals. Direct Injection Turbo mated to a superb 7 speed dual clutch auto box. You get ESP too. The Vento strikes a nice balance with ease of driving combined with a very capable, refined 1.2l turbo petrol motor that pleases when you want to have some fun. On the other hand, the T Jet is an outright drivers car.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th December 2015 at 20:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks