Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 13:26   #2986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
My background is of a diesel car with good low end torque and superb city drivability
Somebody who owns a T-jet, preferably the 125 should be able to confirm, but I can tell you 3 things:
1. Going from a diesel to a petrol, it is obvious to stall the car while launching from standstill. Just give yourself some time. Make it a practice to keep the car in range that is 500rpm more than you are habitual of. Diesels like running in lower RPM range comparative to petrols.
2. Some petrol cars need you to press the accelerator as the car is about to move, like the old Baleno or the first gen Swift 1.3L. With new petrol cars, the engine is throttled a bit to prevent engine from stalling like the 1.2 K series swift.
3. Drive by wire makes the ECU learn your driving style and adapt to it. Give your car some time.

If you don't get any satisfactory answer here, and even I feel stalling the car 30 times is too much, go to the service centre and get it checked out.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 13:55   #2987
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Took delivery of the 125S and managed to stall it right in the dealer premises. Then many times in dense traffic and atleast 30 times approximately in the 600 kms that I have driven it. Forget the idling rule with turbo car, here I have to restart it in heavy traffic before the warning lights go away. Is this some serious issue or just that I need to get used to the car? If this is normal then the 125S is not at all good for city use. My background is of a diesel car with good low end torque and superb city drivability
First of all, congrats on the 125S. The car feels VFM in front of new launches like 2017 Honda City, Vento etc. This car is the closest to D segment sedans in terms of the drive and build factor than any of its competition IMO. Do post some pics.

(I'm not an owner but I'm commenting only to provide the POV of someone who is not much used to the car)

I have not driven the 125S, but I have stalled the 114 T-Jet a lot whenever I have driven it. The clutch biting point is very aggressive and is almost button like IMO. To make matters worse, the clutch travel is very long for what is a very short range of bite. The torque you get at biting point is nothing to write about and moving ahead without throttle input is very difficult unless you focus all your attention on the biting point.

IMO, it is even more difficult to get this car going (from a standstill) than a 0.8L NA engine. So a person coming from diesels will have a hard time initially where throttle input is not needed at all to get the car moving even in slight inclines.

There have been instances where I have stalled the car when coming close to a stop where half of my foot was on the dead pedal (which is too close) and the other half was on the clutch pedal.

I'd say try to drive the showroom TD car once to rule out any suspicions about defective parts or try to meet any of the owners from the forum and try their car out once. I believe you'd just need some more time to get used to it.

Last edited by theredliner : 25th February 2017 at 13:58.
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 15:22   #2988
BHPian

You probably need to change the way you shift as both first and second gears in TJet are "short" seperated by a wide ratio often resulting in a stall. I'd suggest you upshift around 2000 - 2500 rpm, else you'll end up lugging the engine.

In your previous experience with diesels, you would have most of the time used second gear to cross speed bumps. In TJet, you have to go down to first gear, especially on those poorly-designed speed bumps that stand too tall or with too-sharp an angle. If you're alone in the car, probably can pull it off on second gear, but you'll have to slip the clutch which isn't recommend all the time.
Weathered is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 18:07   #2989
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of the 125S and managed to stall it right in the dealer premises. Then many times in dense traffic and atleast 30 times approximately in the 600 kms that I have driven it. Forget the idling rule with turbo car, here I have to restart it in heavy traffic before the warning lights go away. Is this some serious issue or just that I need to get used to the car? If this is normal then the 125S is not at all good for city use. My background is of a diesel car with good low end torque and superb city drivability
Congrats on the new car.

My jet will turn 3 next month, but I don't ever remember stalling it in any kind of traffic before I got it remapped. As others have pointed out, the clutch really does have a long travel, but I disagree that the bite point is sharp. I did test drive the 125S when it was launched and found no difference in the clutch action between my T-Jet and the 125S. If I remember correctly, My clutch actually got more progressive after it bedded in for a bit. As far as I know the power delivery of the new cars is a lot smoother than the pre 2014 lot so stalling shouldn't be an issue.

I use mine mostly in the city, and usually don't even have to rev to 2K to shift up as it has more than enough torque before the turbo kicks in to be drivable in our crazy traffic (with the remap). I drove a XUV500 last December for a few days and I honestly felt that it's low speed response was about the same or maybe a little worse than my Jet. To give you an idea about drivability, my car happily pulls away in second from a speed breaker with 5 on board with a slight clutch slip.

It's a lovely car, so happy mile crunching.

Last edited by keroo1099 : 25th February 2017 at 18:32.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 18:36   #2990
BHPian

@itsashishsharma @theredliner @Weathered @keroo1099 Thanks for your wishes and quick response mates. My only problem is pulling away from standstill in traffic, otherwise the car is a breeze to drive. Idling is smooth and stable. Guess it has more to do with my driving style as all have advised and even I feel so. My instinct says there's nothing wrong with the car or any parts. I don't want to ruin the perfect car by going to the service center. Luckily the steering is straight. No left or right pull. Panel gaps are consistent and perfectly aligned. Rare for a fiat car hence don't want to mess with anything.

Only the right rear door has a rattling noise. Any pointers to fix this?
Old 25th February 2017, 19:14   #2991
BHPian

Quote:
My only problem is pulling away from standstill in traffic, otherwise the car is a breeze to drive.
Try feathering the throttle when you lift off.

Quote:
Panel gaps are consistent and perfectly aligned. Rare for a fiat car hence don't want to mess with anything.
Hey don't knock it, even mine has nice even panel gaps, and so too most of the other Linea's I have seen.

Quote:
Only the right rear door has a rattling noise. Any pointers to fix this?
Must be something minor that FASS should be able to fix. No rattles in my 3 years of use, touch wood.

This is one of those cars that grow's on you the more you drive it. It certainly is one of the most relaxing cars that I have driven on the highway.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 20:41   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
My only problem is pulling away from standstill in traffic, otherwise the car is a breeze to drive.
Try this: In heavy bumper to bumper traffic at a speed less than 10 km/hr, keep moving in 1st gear instead of 2nd. You can lift your foot off the clutch and control the pace using accelerator, just don't push hard as you're in 1st gear. I know you'd want to upshift to 2nd as soon as possible. But if the traffic is crawling at the same pace, no point shifting to 2nd as you'll have to come back to 1st at the next standstill within a few metres! Helps in saving your knees & clutch by avoiding constant shifts

If you are waiting in front & when the signal goes green, slot to 1st and rev it to 2K rpm before shifting to 2nd. Repeat the same from 2nd to 3rd. This ensures a quick getaway.

I second theredliner's point that the clutch travel is long for a very short range of bite. You can get a taste of it by starting the car on a flat road, slot into 1st and slowly lift the foot off your clutch without providing any throttle input. At about one thirds of the clutch travel is when you realize the car begins to move (clutch bite) and then you can put the foot down on accelerator. No stalling, nothing.

I feel there's nothing wrong in your car. You'll get used to this behaviour. Eventually your mind & body automatically work without thinking about stalling, clutch biting point etc. In my last few years of ownership, I've stalled maybe 10 times. Always, my fault.

Enjoy your drive!
Weathered is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 11:36   #2993
BHPian

I'm thankful to all you guys for your valuable suggestions. Will be cautious from the next time I drive, to figure out the clutch behavior while not riding over the clutch. With your useful tips I'm sure to pass this initial learning phase soon. Being new to the car, I have many more things to learn and ask about the Tjet. Hope you wonderful people will always be there for support.
prokinetic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 00:03   #2994
BHPian

Hi folks. I own a Linea Tjet 2016 model. Couple of issues I am facing. As mentioned by many others getting the right seating position has been a pain. Off late I noticed that the height adjustment seems to automatically go down and every other time I have to increase it. Has anyone else faced similar issue?
Second issue is with AC throw/setting. I tend to keep my AC in auto mode with internal circulation ON and temp set at 22 C. However I get complaints from rear passengers that it doesn't get that cool in the rear although it chills in the front, I have myself experienced this while sitting in the rear. Any tips to change this, seems the rear AC vents aren't really helping much. Should I also be manually selecting the air flow direction (centre arrows)? Also at times even in the front although it chills initially it tends to get warmer after sometime unless I reduce the temp further. This I have observed at night as well. Does these issues indicate some fault with my AC functioning or should I be doing something differently to get more effective cooling? I have clocked close to 11.3k so far.
Old 3rd March 2017, 06:25   #2995
BHPian

[quote=subrasri;4156460]Hi folks. I own a Linea Tjet 2016 model. Couple of issues I am facing. As mentioned by many others getting the right seating position has been a pain. Off late I noticed that the height adjustment seems to automatically go down and every other time I have to increase it. Has anyone else faced similar issue?

It seems you may have a problem with the seat height adjustment mechanism. I've had mine for 3 years with no issues to the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
Does these issues indicate some fault with my AC functioning or should I be doing something differently to get more effective cooling? I have clocked close to 11.3k so far.
I would suggest getting your AC filter checked and changed if required. I just changed mine and it made a huge difference to the cooling.

I usually keep mine at 24 degrees and put it on manual on the forward vents. Have only needed to lower the temp if the car has been parked out in the sun, and yes it then takes a long time to cool.
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:47   #2996
BHPian

[quote=keroo1099;4156492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
Hi folks. I own a Linea Tjet 2016 model. Couple of issues I am facing. As mentioned by many others getting the right seating position has been a pain. Off late I noticed that the height adjustment seems to automatically go down and every other time I have to increase it. Has anyone else faced similar issue?

Well this is a Fiat - specific niggle. I own a Evo and I am sure that a lot of fiatians have faced this issue. The good part is that you can get that height adjuster changed at FASS under warranty.
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:00   #2997
BHPian

Quote:
I'm thankful to all you guys for your valuable suggestions. Will be cautious from the next time I drive, to figure out the clutch behavior while not riding over the clutch. With your useful tips I'm sure to pass this initial learning phase soon. Being new to the car, I have many more things to learn and ask about the Tjet. Hope you wonderful people will always be there for support.
My 2 cents (though my experience with the Tjet is very limited):

try disconnecting the battery terminals and reconnect say, after 20 minutes. This resets the information in the ECU about your driving behavior and various sensor calibrations. Once reset, the system gets re-calibrated and would learn and adapt to your driving style. After resetting, like other members said, try revving a bit more than would you have on a diesel. If you shift early, over time,the ECU decides to make the fuel mixture to be lean for efficiency and throttle response would reduce. I've experienced this in our Linea MJD. Lugging turbo charged engines is Real bad and this car is heavy, so at inclines shifting at >2000 rpm is better. Someimts, the vehicle in-front of you slows down and then accelerates in the incline, then, downshift if rpm has gone lower than 1500 rpm because either you'll stall or you'll have to slip the clutch to get it moving again.

Have fun with the Jet and Drive Safe!

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 3rd March 2017 at 09:07.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:24   #2998
Lij
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I wanted to write an ownership review on my newly acquired Linea 125s, but unfortunately events unfolded in such a manner that I am writing a long post (kindly bear) on my experience on buying a FIAT car from their flagship dealership - Landmark Lifestyle Cars, Mumbai.

I had booked the car on 31-Dec-2016, received delivery of the same (manufactured Aug 2016) on 18-Jan-2017. I had gone for a PDI at their workshop in Andheri and had a few cosmetic issues that I wanted resolved before delivery -
1. Front driver side door not completely aligned with the rest of the body in shut position.
2. Chrome badge of Linea on the boot had some imperfections (Part was later replaced in warranty)
3. Soiled interiors especially front 2 seats, sun glass holder and carpets. Front seat plastic covers were completely ripped off.
4. Inner roof lining moved considerably

All being cosmetic ones I thought they would be fixed during delivery, but only #4 was fixed. #2 as mentioned was replaced in warranty later after I again pointed out during delivery, #3 was done in just right before me after I again complained, #1 being as it was (I let that be as of now).

Now for the shocker - during the PDI on delivery day the external fuel cap just didn't close. I had to bring it to the dealership's notice and they weren't aware of this. It took another almost 1 hour to fix the issue. Another issue I noticed and brought to the dealership was a rattle in the rear right side door handle while closing the door.

Thereafter before driving off with the new car I took a quick drive with the sales advisor and all seemed fine. But that evening I realized that there is some noise from the bonnet area on uneven roads, especially ones with paver blocks. Also there was brake squealing during slow breaking at low speeds. A day later (Jan 20) I take it to the service center of Landmark in Andheri and it was diagnosed that the bonnet wasn't sitting flush after closing and there was some play causing the noise on uneven surfaces. I also again brought to their notice about the rear door handle rattle issue and they just greased the door which really didn't make any difference. On the break squealing I was told that it takes time for new disc brakes to bed-in and should be after about 500 kms

A few days later I started hearing slight noise from the front suspension area on uneven surfaces. I knew there was some issue with the suspension and decided to bring it up when I visit the workshop for replacement part in point # 2 above. Also there were some plastic rubbing noise from the dashboard area near the steering rack.

I duly got a call from the dealership when the part arrived and I took my car for the part replacement with around 550 km on the odo. I also mentioned about the front suspension noise but was told that it was basically body noise and nothing major to worry!! Also regarding the noise from dashboard the explanation was that since the plastic parts expand under sun's heat!! Then why wasn't it there in the test drive car was my question. And since it could involve removing dashboard I let that issue be as it is for now. On brake squeal, they cleaned the brakes and the squeal was gone, but wait, its back by the time I am home (~25 kms) from the service center!!

So I had to again take the car back to the service center, where after consultation with Mr. Valsan from FCA it was decided to change the pads and discs. For the suspension noise, they were re-torqued but the issue remained and I was asked to keep the car for atleast a day for them to find the issue and I told them I will get it back again as I had to have the car that weekend. After brakes and pads were replaced the squeal did not present itself for a couple of days. But then it came back with a vengeance and was worse than before. I informed the service center and then it was decided they replace the calipers as well. In between I had e-mailed by concerns to Mangesh Kodalkar from FCA and he had assured me that all my issues will be taken care of. It took more than 2 weeks for the calipers to come and in that period the squeal was almost gone, not 100%, but much much better than before and so I decided I will not change the calipers.

I was planning to get the car to the service center for the suspension issue on 16-Mar, but in an unfortunate incident my rear left window glass was broke open on 15-Mar and I took the car that day itself to the service center. As usual the part wasn't in stock and they had to place order for that and I had to keep the car at the workshop till the window glass was replaced. This also helped them diagnose the issue with the suspension and concluded that the front right shock-absorber is the culprit and will order that part. I was also told that the rear right door handle will also be replaced in warranty for the rattle issue. On 18-Mar I got the car back with new rear left window glass fitted, but unfortunately they smeared the glue (that came with the plastic covering the window in packaging) on the body paint and now the body paint has streaks of glue on it. The service advisor has told that they'll get it cleaned when I next come, and I don't know when it'll be as it depends on part availability.

As of today I am still awaiting the shock absorbers and rear right door handle to be replaced (and with a messed up paint work on left side rear door). I am updated that there was a set of T-Jet shock aborbers already on order and even FCA plant doesn't have it and has put it in back order.

The fault here lies with both - FCA and Landmark. FCA for poor QC processes and not having stock in supply especially for cars that have been in production for close to a decade. Landmark for their indifference to the customer right from PDI, delivery to the after sales experience. The pain lies with a customer believing and putting his hard earned money on a brand that is on life-support in India.

Definitely I wouldn't suggest either of them to a new customer with my experience till now. And such service on an existing product I don't know how they'll serve the Jeep clients.

Linea 125s a wonderful and beautiful machine, appreciated by all who rode in it and received second glances from many including my office and apartment security, was even appreciated by the guy at the air filling station at local petrol pump specifically on its build quality. But these issues and the after sales experience so far has left a bad taste.

PS - The other day a guy on a bike stops at the signal besides me to tell that the rear right tyres are wobbling . I didn't feel any difference to ride quality but will get the alignment checked ASAP. Hope its not another issue that just cropped up.
Lij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 21:24   #2999
BHPian

@Lij Completely relate to what you are feeling bro. Sad state of affairs at Landmark. They delivered the car after one month of booking. Their PDI is a joke. That's a story for another day when I have some time at hand. The delivery itself was a very pathetic experience to go through.

Glad that fiat is finally putting a plug on sales of new fiat cars.

By the way, how did your window glass break? On its own, or something banged on it?

Last edited by prokinetic : 22nd March 2017 at 21:26.
prokinetic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:40   #3000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Dear BHPians,

I wanted to write an ownership review on my newly acquired Linea 125s
Not to alarm you, but I somehow suspect that car may have been in an accident. Can you take it to a trusted mechanic / FNG and get the body panels checked? The list you put up all somehow look like either the car was kept in the stock yard for a tad too long or was abused / not protected. Was this a demo car by any chance? How many kms did it have when you got it from the dealer?

Sorry to hear about the debacle. Wishing you miles and miles of trouble free driving.
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed