Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 01:46   #3106
BHPian

Looks like I need to find another place to service my T Jet. The experience with RamKay Fiat, Chennai is increasingly disappointing. I go all the way to Chennai (150kms) and, obviously, I can't stay there and spend a lot of time with the team (I don't mind spending a few hours). The attitude of the staff, at least to my experience, is rather indifferent and casual.

Look at this instance - this was my 60000km service. I had taken appointment for the same atleast 3 weeks in advance. I called them one week before and then the day before the scheduled appointment.
I reached the service centre by 4pm (left after finishing some urgent work and had to go from Pondy to Chennai) and spent about an hour with the concerned person discussing service related matters and doing a road test as well, since I felt there was some noise coming from the suspension and there was some difficulty in slotting third gear, intermittently.
I had found rust in a metal part near the headlight on right side as well as a small part of the body just behind one of the wheels. I requested a proper inspection to look for evidence of rust elsewhere.
I was told a proper assessment will be made the next day and he will call me the next day.
Needless to say, I didn't get any call the next day. When I called after 2 days, I was told that both the front suspensions and possibly the shock absorbers will have to be replaced. I was also told that there was 'fluid leak' in the gear box and the gear box will have to dismantled and this being a major work, will be expensive. Since I don't have enough technical knowledge to comment on the necessity of this, I didn't volunteer any comments.
He then went on to say that the clutch is worn and has to be replaced. I knew very well that it was a lie. And this suggestion made the whole thing suspicious for me.
He also added that none of these parts were available off the shelf for T Jet and had to be ordered, including the timing belt, which was due for replacement at 60K service (when he knew all through that I was bringing my car for 60K sevice, that too after scheduling it well in advance, I am not sure what prevented RamKay from ordering it in advance). When I firmly said there was no need for replacing the clutch and also suggested that I was now suspicious why so many parts were being replaced, he said he will get back to me.
After this (around Deepavali) the mobile number was not reachable for 3 days and I got to talk to him only on Wednesday. I told him not to do any part replacement, except what was due - the timing belt. I openly told that I will get a second opinion for the works he suggested (replacement of suspension, shock absorbers) and the work on the gearbox and if found necessary, shall get it done.
I asked about the rust and I was told that assessment was yet to be made and the body shop staff will call me.
The call came on Saturday. He gave me an estimate of approx 25K bucks for the body work. And when inquired, I was told that they had not checked the underbelly or other areas for rust, as I had requested. He said it will be done during the water wash. I again said no, to the work suggested.

If I agree for the all work recommended by RamKay for my car, the expenses for the 60K sevice will exceed INR 70000!

As of now, I have asked them to just do the servicing and return my car.

I am considering taking my T Jet to some other place where it is possible to get more acceptable care (not cheaper service, I am willing to spend the money, provided it is genuine).

Other nearest FCA service centers are available in Trichy and Salem. Someone had suggested True Sai at Salem earlier to me. I thought it was too far away, but I am reconsidering now.

Can I request more suggestions?

Where is it possible to get more sensible, efficient and, most importantly, honest and reliable service for my T Jet?
Which service centre has staff who are thoughtful, intelligent and passionate about their work? Or am I asking for the moon, from FCA?
sparameswaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 07:55   #3107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
Where is it possible to get more sensible, efficient and, most importantly, honest and reliable service for my T Jet?
Isn't there a service center in Pondicherry? This was a few years ago. A relative who lives in Pondicherry used to get his Linea (He had two. Facelfit and pre facelift. Now sold) diesel serviced at FCA in Pondicherry itself and did not report any concerns with regard to quality of service.

Unfortunately; this will be the sad state of Fiat service considering there is no interest from FCA for Fiat as a brand. The concentration is all Jeep now. I must say that if your experience with FCA service like this, it does not reflect too well if you were to walk in with your Jeep.

I suggest you try Bosch Service, if there is one in Pondicherry. They can sort out all your problems. Timing belt replacement seems quite early at 60k km. You should read up the manual if it suggests the same.

The Bosch facility in Bangalore, was open to the idea of me procuring parts from 99rpm and supplying to them. They were happy to order them for me too.

Gear shift quality can be addressed by replacement or lubrication of the gear shift cable.

Hope it all works out.
Old 12th November 2018, 08:32   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Isn't there a service center in Pondicherry?

I suggest you try Bosch Service, if there is one in Pondicherry.

You should read up the manual if it suggests the same.

Gear shift quality can be addressed by replacement or lubrication of the gear shift cable.
The FCA sales & service (Manakular Motors) from where I bought my car closed down in 2016. As of now there is no authorised service centre here - and hence all the trouble. When Manakular motors was there, I had no issues with their service.

There are Mahindra and TVS in Pondy, but there is no Bosch facility here. There is one in Villupuram - I guess I should try them. I have one more years' extended warranty on my T Jet, hence wanted to stick with FCA authorised service at least for one more year.

The sevice manual recommends changing timing belt at 60K kms for T Jet.
Old 12th November 2018, 12:06   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am considering taking my T Jet to some other place where it is possible to get more acceptable care (not cheaper service, I am willing to spend the money, provided it is genuine).

Other nearest FCA service centers are available in Trichy and Salem. Someone had suggested True Sai at Salem earlier to me. I thought it was too far away, but I am reconsidering now.

Can I request more suggestions?
I think True Sai, Salem will be your best bet. I have seen a lot of positive reviews in our forum and many Fiat owners from Bangalore do drive down to Salem for timing belt change and other major works.

--Anoop
Old 12th November 2018, 13:27   #3110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The FCA sales & service (Manakular Motors) from where I bought my car closed down in 2016. As of now there is no authorised service centre here - and hence all the trouble. When Manakular motors was there, I had no issues with their service.

There are Mahindra and TVS in Pondy, but there is no Bosch facility here. There is one in Villupuram - I guess I should try them. I have one more years' extended warranty on my T Jet, hence wanted to stick with FCA authorised service at least for one more year.

The sevice manual recommends changing timing belt at 60K kms for T Jet.
If you do not have any good FCA dealer (is that an oxymoron?) around I suggest you perform only the routine service with FCA(Due to warranty) and for whatever defect FCA detects , get it fixed at a FNG. Bosch service centers are just local garages who try to up-sell Bosch products, some are good. If it looks busy, it probably is good.

The service centers can function properly only if they have sufficient customers, the ones with very less walk-in are at their will to be nice to customers as the brand has no control over them. If this engine is not built locally , I suggest not to hang on to the car for very long especially if it is a daily driver.
Old 13th November 2018, 01:09   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are Mahindra and TVS in Pondy, but there is no Bosch facility here. There is one in Villupuram - I guess I should try them.
Visit the place, as it is less than an hours drive for you. If there is enthusiasm in helping you out, you can hand over the car to them. Take a walk around the place. If you can meet the owner, nothing like it.

True Sai Salem should be your last option, due to distance. You will have to prepare them in advance as they may not necessarily stock spares for the T Jet.

I was fortunate to have Bosch in Bangalore. One specific outlet close to my work place handled all sorts of cars. From Mercedes to restoring Willy's. The owner was an automobile enthusiast himself. I started with my T Jet and later on they helped with me my 72" Fiat 1100D. Both cars were handled well.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th November 2018 at 01:11.
Old 13th November 2018, 17:58   #3112
BHPian

you can try world of service. they are quite good. i've gotten my linea t-jet sserviced there. they dont fleece you and do the repairs well. their attention to detail can be improved though. but for my linea, for no reason RDC fiat said all brake pads need to be replaced for 16k and they just bled the brakes and cahrged me 2k for it and said it can go another 10-12k.
Old 21st December 2018, 20:18   #3113
BHPian

I feel all of us Fiat owners should gradually move to good garages from the authorized service centres.

I had a crazy time last year procuring brake pads and rotors for the front brakes. I had struggled for years with a grinding sound which Ramkay kept reasoning as rust and dust and weather. A local mechanic diagnosed it as an unevenly worn disc. I decided to get it done at the Ramkay ASS and I was told they didn't have even one set stocked in their spares warehouse. I wrote to Fiat HO and they said there was definitely one set with Ramkay. After several attempts, I connected Fiat HO with Ramkay who then surprisingly accepted that they had a set. The noise is back barely a year after the repair.

Quite recently, I had an AC gas leak and was asked to change a part - the name fails me - by a local mechanic. Once again, I decided to go to the ASS because the dashboard had to be opened up. The refitting was very poorly done.
Old 27th December 2018, 21:23   #3114
BHPian

Hmmm, had my first hand experience with a Fiat linea T-jet on the highway and the kodai twists. Man, what a machine. I have always drooled over my 75bhp Punto since 2009 and recently bought a 70K km run 2011 Tjet from a fellow bhpian. The Tjet have all the good characteristics from the Punto with added power and braking abilities. The car could cruise at very high speeds all day long without breaking a sweat. I did the Madurai-Tuticorin distance which had very minimal traffic in an hour. This car is made for the highways.

Wth the Punto, the comfortable cruising speed was 110 kmph for me. Now that has become even higher with the T-jet.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th December 2018 at 23:16. Reason: Removed reference of high speeds on public roads.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 21:45   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Hmmm, had my first hand experience with a Fiat linea T-jet on the highway and the kodai twists. Man, what a machine.
Wth the Punto, the comfortable cruising speed was 110km per hour for me. Now that has become 130km/hour with the T-jet.
Very few cars today in this price range gives that "connected" feel as the Linea. Have fun.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 08:08   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Very few cars today in this price range gives that "connected" feel as the Linea. Have fun.
Thank you Satya. When I invested in a second fiat and that too a second hand, I was almost christened as a madman and gone completely off head. But having maintained my Punto for 9+ years and having a friendly and trustworthy neighborhood garage + 99rpm.com made me go for it.

The absolute driving pleasure of the Linea T-jet makes up for all of it. My wife is double happy with the big boot compared to Punto and she is busy shopping out there .
Old 28th January 2019, 22:18   #3117
BHPian

It looks like a very similar story everywhere. In 2017 when I was shopping for a new family car and told my friends that I am "also" considering a Fiat Linea T-125s T-Jet, they just gave me a weird look. They got their City, Verna, Duster to let me test drive. My heart was beating for a fast European car so it had to be something between a Volkswagen, Fiat and Skoda, all petrol variants.

Coming from a small city of Rourkela it was not easy to get a test drive of all these vehicles so it had to be a blind buy. Somehow I felt that if I do not buy a T-Jet now I will miss the bus entirely. So I went with my heart and booked a T-Jet 125s.

Needless to say how it feels every time we get behind a T-Jet but the more interesting thing is, those friends who gave those weird looks and considered me crazy now have a very different expression. Now when they drive my T-Jet they do not curse me but Fiat for not being able to promote and sell such a wonderful car.

Couple of concerns after driving for about 10k kms:
1. Finding a good driving posture is indeed a task. I dont know when an Alto can get it right why cant a Linea

2. This car is a weird combination of tall and stiff suspension setup. The problem with this is when the car hits a pothole or a steep bump at higher speeds the suspension can get damaged. Visualize the situation, the car hits a steep bump at slightly higher speeds, the suspension being stiff doesnt give instantly and because the suspension is tall (for higher GC) it feels like a head-on collision with the bump momentarily. This impact can damage the suspension. I already had an incident of bent suspension damper rod due to an impact like that. Somehow it looks like Fiat has not done enough due diligence on how stiff and high a suspension should be on the Linea.

I plan to lower the suspension after another couple of years, till then I will enjoy the warranty
Old 29th January 2019, 05:58   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
I already had an incident of bent suspension damper rod due to an impact like that.
That must have been one nasty hit to get a suspension damper rod bent.

There was no suspension incident in the 5 years I owned a Linea T Jet, that too a low GC model, which has the most sorted ride of any car <20lacs. It did take some nasty hits which led to a minor rim bend but nothing more serious.

The higher GC models have messed up road manners due to the jacked up height. Little you can do about it other than cough up dough for a low GC suspension kit, which should still be covered under warranty except that you need to pay for the parts. In my view, I'd say it is totally worth switching to the low GC suspension provided you can source the springs and struts. FM Keroo is probably a good person to comment on this.

Also; running even a slightly over inflated tire can also mess things. I ran 32/30 (Front/Back) set up.
Old 29th January 2019, 06:41   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
I plan to lower the suspension after another couple of years, till then I will enjoy the warranty
It's almost impossible to lower the rear of the car now as Fiat have stopped selling the low GC coil springs. The only option is to contact KHT and wait for someone who wants the high GC suspension and 'buy' the used coils, or get a set from a junked car.

If you truly want to enjoy the car get a remap done. It transforms the driveability in the city and improves the mid and top end for highway use without a drop in mileage.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 08:43   #3120
BHPian

Thanks guys, the tall suspension taking a hit is quite plausible if one goes carelessly over humps especially when in that “let’s have fun” mood. The car allows you to ride hard even on bad roads because of it’s composed nature but this suspension thingie just scares you from doing that. Moreover you don’t want to break things in a car which is going out of production.

What was the cost of the Low GC kit ?

Most Viewed