Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2019, 15:57   #3151
BHPian

I'd suggest you stick to the stock sized 16 inches when swapping tyres. I doubt if OEM replacement parts needed for lowering the suspension are still available in the service centres. You may have to live with it or procure aftermarket parts which are a direct fit.
Old 23rd February 2019, 16:57   #3152
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Congratulations.
Thank you

Quote:
I do not think the T Jet is quicker than a Verna, that is, if you are referring to the 1.6l diesel.
Yes its the 1.6 Verna i am referring to but still its early days and i haven't crossed 2.5k rpm yet due to the engine being in the run-in period.

Quote:
Speed is masked in a Linea. Typical characteristic of European cars (Italian in this case). I like a car with a communicative chassis, steering and solid anchors, all of which the Linea has in spades. I don't think anything beats it unless you head in to the 20+ lac segment.
Yes i agree. I had a Palio 1.9D and while it was not exactly a refined or silent car but the way it felt at high speed was great. In fact I have driven my new Linea sedately for around 200 kms on the highway and i have thoroughly enjoyed the ride, steering and high speed stability which is poles apart compared to the Verna.

Quote:
I really wish Fiat did not touch the suspension. It was a pointless move as doing so was not going to do it any favors in the sales department. If you can get the right springs, struts and lower the car to pre face lift Linea specifications, it makes it perfect in the dynamics department. You get a better looking car too.
I am on a lookout for pre-2012 springs which could make a big difference but 99rpm doesn't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Many Congratulations ! It's a brave decision. I'm sure that you will enjoy every bit of it

Wish you many happy and safe miles with your Linea!

Did you buy this from Goyal Jeep, Ludhiana?
Thank you so much!. Yes its indeed brave, had always wanted the Linea but due to some or the other reason it kept getting delayed. I contacted Goyal Jeep more than thrice even visited their showroom but they were just not interested. I also contacted dealers in Chandigarh, Mohali, Jalandhar and Karnal. Except Jalandhar(which is again Goyal Jeep) everybody responded positively. I bought it from Rahul Pam Karnal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Congratulations!!
Thank you!

Quote:
The full size spare is indeed a welcome change, unlike when I bought mine couple of years ago
Yes was really happy after seeing it.
Quote:
The cover of the lid doesn't close with a thud , one in my car already broke with very minimal usage, guess I won't be getting a replacement now !!
After 2 days of usage i think its better without a cover as one can keep his/her phone here as there is no other place really

Quote:
I think the 125s versions have a more linear power delivery, so even after the turbo spools in after around 1800 rpm, the push back effect is not as prominent as the older models. Verna might feel faster because FIATs do tend to mask speeds quite well. But I am not sure and could be wrong as I haven't driven the Verna yet. My car's engine has really opened up after the third service and I feel its much eager than the initial 16K kms I drove before that.
The ECU maps are different as far as i understand, though power has gone up and 0-100 time is also down according to some web reviews but its delivered in a more linear way. The speed masking i completely agree. I am hoping for the engine and gearbox opening up gradually(another Fiat trait)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Congratulations man.
I would suggest you to change the tyres right away. It will fetch you the best value for those crappy Goodyears. After using them even for 2000 KMs, you would get nill as buyback.
Thanks a lot. Actually little tight on budget right now and the car has already run for 450+ kms due to 2 highway trips which were unavoidable, still i will be going on Monday to a couple of tyre shops to see what they offer.
Old 23rd February 2019, 23:21   #3153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
I'd suggest you stick to the stock sized 16 inches when swapping tyres. I doubt if OEM replacement parts needed for lowering the suspension are still available in the service centres. You may have to live with it or procure aftermarket parts which are a direct fit.
Pre 2012 suspension springs are not available at 99rpm.com, i doubt it would be available at the dealership. I have no experience with after market kits(and what impact it has on ride quality) like eibach but i understand these are very popular in the market. Why do you suggest not upsizing to 17 inchers? Just curious
Old 24th February 2019, 18:08   #3154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post

Thank you so much, this is like a leap of faith, had always wanted the linea hope everything turns out good. Yes verna is quick but i'll try and be within the 2500 rpm limit till the first service and after that maybe the engine also opens up more. Even though the goodyears are crap but i'll stick to them for the time being because i want to lower the car and upsize tyres to 225/45 17 in the future.
Fiat engines take a little while to open up fully. I own the Linea Multijet and Punto Fire (now sold for Jeep), and it was only after 5K kms that the character of engines changed drastically.
I would suggest keep the tyre size to stock 16" and change tyres to Michelin Primacy 3ST. They're brilliant, I got just 1 puncture (in 4 tyres) in 60k+ kms of running. Moreover the comfort and grip is way above Good Years.

Congratulations on getting the Linea BTW! She's a rare breed.
kaushal21fb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 09:55   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal21fb View Post
Fiat engines take a little while to open up fully.
Hoping for the same.

Quote:
I would suggest keep the tyre size to stock 16" and change tyres to Michelin Primacy 3ST
So i went to the tyre shop just to check what price the goodyears will fetch, honestly wasnt determined to swap them but the deal was quite good. Changed to Michelin Primacy 3ST I got them for 7800 a piece plus weight charges and the Goodyears' buyback was 6000 a piece. One tyre's manufacturing is 39th week of 2018 while other 3 are of 40th week of 2018, Dealer is Autoserve/Bakshisons on main GT road. This was my first time buying tyres from them for any car and the owner is a very nice helpful person. Didn't bother to check with any other dealer regarding the buyback for Goodyears as i only wanted Michelins. The tyres are absolutely silent compared to the outgoing Goodyears.Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20190225_180608.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20190225_175719.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20190226_085905.jpg

Quote:
Congratulations on getting the Linea BTW! She's a rare breed.
Thank you
trinity0114 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 10:31   #3156
BHPian

Nice buyback price for the Goodyears and nice to see new owners for the Linea here. Enjoy your ownership.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 20:24   #3157
BHPian

Hi,

I recently got my Linea TJet serviced at a service center in Noida. It was a routine service wherein following things were done:

1. Oil Change (I had carried Motul X-Cess 5w40 with me. The previous owner had filled Liqui Moly during the last service)
2. Oil Filter Change
3. Air Filter Change
4. Timing Belt Change
5. Alternator Belt Change
6. Since new tightener was not in stock, they replaced it with another one in better condition

Post the service, I have a feeling that the turbo is not kicking in. I am not getting the push-back feeling which used to be there at 2000 rpm. the acceleration is more linear now. It also seems that the engine sound has increased. Though the engine revs up smoothly, I feel as if the engine is making is making a strange noise if I run it at low rpm. E.g. if I drive at around 40-50 Km/h in 5th gear, I can feel this noise. It is a low grunting noise, as if the engine is saying 'Please downshift'. This noise was not there before.
I took it to the service center and said that the turbo is not working. They checked the hoses and also checked with the computer/analyzer. The SA told that there is no issue, otherwise I would have got 'Check engine' light.
Not satisfied with the answer, I took it to a FNG nearby. A mechanic in the FNG took the car for a spin for a freeway. The car did manage to touch a speed of 140 within fa stretch of 1 KM (took him 10 seconds to reach this speed). The mechanic said that if turbo was not been working then the car wouldn't have reached this speed.
I am wondering whether it is my wind which is playing games with me or there is some issue which needs to be addressed.
Missing the turbo kick badly. Looking for expert comments

Little background: Bought this used car in September 2018. It is 2011 made and had 56000 on the odometer. Got the engine mount replaced as soon as the ownership was transferred.
Old 7th March 2019, 23:56   #3158
BHPian

Hey. I have a 2010 Linea 1.4L Petrol. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a short shifter for it in India? The long throws on the Linea gets tiring especially in city rides.
Old 8th March 2019, 01:10   #3159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
I recently got my Linea TJet serviced at a service center in Noida. It was a routine service wherein following things were done:

1. Oil Change (I had carried Motul X-Cess 5w40 with me. The previous owner had filled Liqui Moly during the last service)
2. Oil Filter Change
3. Air Filter Change
4. Timing Belt Change
6. Since new tightener was not in stock, they replaced it with another one in better condition

Little background: Bought this used car in September 2018. It is 2011 made and had 56000 on the odometer. Got the engine mount replaced as soon as the ownership was transferred.
I agree with the mechanic here. Not only would have the vehicle not reached the speed. The turbo would have for sure seen its end.
Both the current oil and the previous one are brilliant (personally not sure of the grade that goes in the Tjet)

Maybe it's just the fact that you replaced the air filter which is letting the car breathe a bit better thus the lack of the prominent turbo kick. Specially if the older one was too clogged or of a inferior quality than the current one.

Should not be something to be concerned about.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th March 2019 at 03:18. Reason: Shortening quoted post
Intelsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 14:15   #3160
BHPian

Thank you for the reply . Feeling bit relieved.

Couple of more questions:
Should I worry that the tightener was not replaced by a new one? Will timing belt adjustment be impacted by this?
Old 9th March 2019, 17:44   #3161
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the reply . Feeling bit relieved.

Couple of more questions:
Should I worry that the tightener was not replaced by a new one? Will timing belt adjustment be impacted by this?
No idea on this one.
Old 10th March 2019, 11:34   #3162
BHPian

Quote:

2. Oil Filter Change
3. Air Filter Change
4. Timing Belt Change

I don't see any issue with Turbo otherwise the car would not have reached this much speed in short distance. The engine noise could be due to different oil characteristics. When I had switched to Shell Helix Ultra, the engine noise reduced and became smoother (though what you are observing is another way around). Drive for some time and see whether the noise settles down.
I would be more concerned about the timing belt. AFAIK, there is no need to replace the timing belt in TJet till well over 1 lakh Kms. Check the service manual. I drove my Tjet till 73k kms (sold now) without changing it and I remember checking it in manual.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th March 2019 at 03:19. Reason: shortening quoted post
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 12:11   #3163
BHPian

Thanks for the reply. The manual states that Timing Drive belt needs to be replaced at 60,000 km.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:52   #3164
Senior - BHPian

A Verna 1.6L petrol will outrun the Linea from a standing start if in a straight line.

Anyway, had mentioned the error code in my car a few months back. Short story, car is with the service center for a month straight now.

They are unable to figure out which part is faulty.

Replaced ECM and checked. Same error.
Replaced Fuel injectors and checked. Same error.
Replaced Cat-Con and checked. Same error

Now replaced Spark plugs, cleaned the entire exhaust system and is being test driven by them :(

Two full tanks of petrol, a month without my car and seemingly no solution in sight.

I just hope they don't just disconnect the led wire of the warning light and say issue is solved!
Old 27th March 2019, 11:26   #3165
BHPian

Help required - Hey Guys with FIAT closing, where to get my friends Linea serviced?
He stays near Mathikere in North Bangalore.
Please suggest a good place, preferably near Mathikere/Yeshwantpur/Hebbal.

Most Viewed