Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2019, 18:12   #3181
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
No it wasn't hard. What surprised me even more was that the clutch became free when the car was lying idle. It died without giving any symptom.
Then most probably only the slave cylinder needs replacement.(if it all the seals have gone bad).

Also check if the bleed lock is in place. Fiat uses a U shaped clip instead of the nut for the bleed nipple. It is easy to dislodge the clip while working at something else in that area. It is difficult to identify the source from the pics you have attached.

As others have suggested, definitely get a second opinion from a reliable mechanic before replacing the kit.

Have someone press the clutch and identify the place from which the fluid spurts out.

PS : Get the engine bay cleaned soon as the hydraulic fluid can damage the paint.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 29th April 2019 at 18:13.
--gKrish-- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 19:29   #3182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Then most probably only the slave cylinder needs replacement.(if it all the seals have gone bad).

Also check if the bleed lock is in place. Fiat uses a U shaped clip instead of the nut for the bleed nipple. It is easy to dislodge the clip while working at something else in that area. It is difficult to identify the source from the pics you have attached.

As others have suggested, definitely get a second opinion from a reliable mechanic before replacing the kit.

Have someone press the clutch and identify the place from which the fluid spurts out.

PS : Get the engine bay cleaned soon as the hydraulic fluid can damage the paint.
Thanks a lot for the inputs. Will definitely take second opinion and get the engine bay pressure washed once the issue is sorted.
Old 30th April 2019, 16:28   #3183
BHPian

Got the car inspected by another mechanic from World of Service (would like to thank Mr. Anupam for arranging the visit). The mechanic (Vijendra) said that the slave cylinder seems to have gone bad. He said that since this is a TJet, entire gearbox will have to removed to change the cylinder. He also said that the cylinder comes with the bearing, so effectively, the bearing has to changed.
His diagnosis is same as that of the Fiat mechanic.

He also said that the car has to towed, charge Rs 1000-1500. Will it be ok if I drive the car to the garage / service center in first gear? The distance is approximately 4 km from my home.
Old 1st May 2019, 04:58   #3184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will it be ok if I drive the car to the garage / service center in first gear? The distance is approximately 4 km from my home.
Please do not. You won't be able to engage gear without some gear gnashing and that can't be good for your gearbox. Have someone tow the car for you or load on flat bed.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 15:04   #3185
BHPian

Quote:
Got the car inspected by another mechanic from World of Service (would like to thank Mr. Anupam for arranging the visit). .
The Indian Tjet has concentric slave cylinder, just confirmed. The parts catalogue that I checked earlier had an error and it showed an external arm over the bell housing which made me believe that it was an external slave cylinder similar to the one in our MJD(99rpm.com shows the same figure for Tjet).

Replacement will be more time consuming in this case and labour cost will be almost the same as that of clutch kit replacement as you cannot replace the slave cylinder without opening the assembly.

If the parts catalogue is correct the release bearing for Tjet costs Rs.7890 and the plates cost Rs. 6990.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 15:34   #3186
BHPian

Thanks gKrish. That's exactly what the mechanic said. It is just the case with TJet . Replacing the cylinder for other variants of Linea is a simple process and does not require dismantling the gear box.
Labour charge quoted by service center is Rs 3500, irrespective of whether I go for bearing change or bearing + plate change.
MBond007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:45   #3187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Please do not. You won't be able to engage gear without some gear gnashing and that can't be good for your gearbox. Have someone tow the car for you or load on flat bed.
Thanks for the advice Sandeep. Have taken your advice and booked the tow service.

Just a thought... Will the clutch work temporarily if I re-fill the brake oil?
Old 5th May 2019, 04:58   #3188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a thought... Will the clutch work temporarily if I re-fill the brake oil?
I do not understand. What does filling brake oil have to with the clutch?
Old 5th May 2019, 11:18   #3189
BHPian

Quote:
I do not understand. What does filling brake oil have to with the clutch?
Brake fluid and Clutch fluid are the same and serve both purposes. Its also filled in the same reservoir from where it goes separately into the clutch cylinders and individual brake cylinders.
trinity0114 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 04:53   #3190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Brake fluid and Clutch fluid are the same and serve both purposes.
Interesting. I used to own a Linea T Jet and don't recall this reservoir serving the brakes and the clutch.
Old 12th May 2019, 10:38   #3191
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. I used to own a Linea T Jet and don't recall this reservoir serving the brakes and the clutch.
Its the same way in almost all the cars i know
Old 20th May 2019, 11:35   #3192
BHPian

Got the clutch assembly replaced along with the slave cylinder in the TJet. Final bill was around 28K. Turned out that the gear/engine mounts were also nearing their end, so they were also replaced.

Now a new issue has come up . At times engaging the reverse gear is a bit of issue. Sometimes it grinds when I try to put it in reverse. This issue is intermittent and is only with reverse gear.

Took it to Sahil Service Centere, Noida, where the clutch was replaced. The SA, Mr. O.P. Sharma said that since the clutch plate is new, it will take some time to set in. He said that with time this issue will go away. I am not convinced with this logic. Is this a common phenomenon with new clutch plates?
Old 20th May 2019, 13:55   #3193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got the clutch assembly replaced along with the slave cylinder in the TJet. Final bill was around 28K. Turned out that the gear/engine mounts were also nearing their end, so they were also replaced.

Now a new issue has come up . At times engaging the reverse gear is a bit of issue. Sometimes it grinds when I try to put it in reverse. This issue is intermittent and is only with reverse gear.

Took it to Sahil Service Centere, Noida, where the clutch was replaced. The SA, Mr. O.P. Sharma said that since the clutch plate is new, it will take some time to set in. He said that with time this issue will go away. I am not convinced with this logic. Is this a common phenomenon with new clutch plates?
Its mostly a Yes.

The issue will go away after a few hundred Kms. You need to ensure that clutch pedal is completely pressed and also try removing the carpets, sometimes they do not allow the clutch pedal to get depressed all the way.

Also shift to 5th before shifting to reverse and see if that helps, it worked for me. The mechanics will tell you to bring the car back after around 1000Kms if the issue persists after a new clutch.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 19:21   #3194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Its mostly a Yes.

Also shift to 5th before shifting to reverse and see if that helps, it worked for me
Thanks for the tip Feeling a bit relieved to hear that it is a common issue.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:09   #3195
BHPian

Need Urgent Help.

A new issue has popped up in the TJet post clutch and belt stretcher change.

At times the engine doesn't stays on when the key is turned on. The engine struggles to start and then switches off within couple of seconds. This issue first came up when the timing belt stretcher was replaced couple of weeks back. The SA at the service center had said that it was timing issue and the car was kept an additional day at the service center. Later I was told that some particles from the belt cover had gone into the belt and were creating issues. He said that this has been sorted. However the problem resurfaced couple of days back. I had to rev the engine to keep it on. Surprisingly the issue was not there when I started the car yesterday.

Couple of additional points which I found:

a) I got the PUC renewed yesterday. Found that the CO emission has increased by 15 times (from 0.017 in Feb to 0.252 yesterday)

b) Fuel efficiency has dropped from mid 11 to mid 9. The car also feels bit sluggish

Could setting of the timing belt be the culprit? If Yes, then why the starting issue is intermittent? The timing and alternator belt were replaced in Feb this year.

Experts please help

Most Viewed