Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 20:29   #3211
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Did you get a chance to go on a highway/spirited drive? If so, how do these fare when compared to the Hankooks in terms of road noise, grip, steering feel etc.?
Sorry, haven't been able to take it on the highway as yet.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 20:58   #3212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
Hi guys. I own a 2016 Tjet and completed my free warranty period last month. I would like to explore wolf remap for my car. I am based out of Chennai - wanted to check where I can get this done? Also any feedback from existing owners who have done remap in terms of performance, maintenance in the longer run?
As far as Fiats are concerned, I guess Wolf is the tuner to go. They keep visiting major cities, you can call them up and ask about their schedule.

Since the maps for T-Jet are readily available, it will be like a 20 minute job to map the car. You get switchable maps from Wolf, that's the best part.

I got my Verna 1.6D AT mapped by Wolf recently. Enjoying the 'new' car!

Last edited by clevermax : 17th July 2019 at 21:02.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 16:21   #3213
BHPian

Hi,
I have been in the market for a pre-loved Tjet. I知 based in Gurgaon and have been checking out Tbhp and other forums as well. Recently I spotted one on OLX and have my eyes set on her - a 2014 Linea Tjet (114PS) with 45K on the odo. The dealer is quoting 4Lacs (negotiable), which fits my budget. My question, will it be the right decision to make? I know I知 contradicting myself, as I知 a self-proclaimed Tjet/Fiat fanboy. But with the recent decision of the company to pull the plug on its India operations coupled with the fact that after sales service is a pain in the behind, will I be making the right decision?
Old 23rd July 2019, 16:58   #3214
BHPian

@Meples

I'm on my second Linea, the 1st one a brand new Diesel Emotion Pk in 2010, had chosen not to go in for the T Jet back then as Petrol - Diesel prices were chalk and cheese. But the T Jet bug didn't stop biting, the test drive was one of the most unforgettable experiences of my motoring life.

Came across a fantastic condition, 46k run, Oct 2010 Tjet Plus last year and immediately scooped it up for < Rs 2 Lacs. Has been the most satisfying experience thus far.

With Mopar in the scene, parts/service availability is better now, most imported parts of the T Jet are readily available (remember the Linea has had strong sales in Turkey and other markets and the T Jet engines are global engines still selling, even in India with the Jeep Compass). Atleast I've not faced any parts/service issue in essentially a 9 year old car.

Just take care to find a well maintained example with a proper service history (in my case the previous owner was even having the alignment done at an ASS , and I have a complete 9 year service history).

I've been very fortunate, some others (like MBond007 on this forum) seem to have been stuck with a lemon. I've spent close to 50K on maintenance / upkeep / part replacements in the year, but that you can expect with a 9 year old car and I'm ok with it. It gives back a lot more.

Fiat's have an atrocious resale value, you can bargain for at least a Lac less for a 2014 model. And forget about any resale when you're through with the T Jet.

And lastly, just enjoy the drive
mitsalltheway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 14:28   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsalltheway View Post
@Meples

I'm on my second Linea, the 1st one a brand new Diesel Emotion Pk in 2010, had chosen not to go in for the T Jet back then as Petrol - Diesel prices were chalk and cheese. But the T Jet bug didn't stop biting, the test drive was one of the most unforgettable experiences of my motoring life.
@mitsalltheway, thanks for the response. I know the resale value will be atrocious and I'm okay with it. If things go all well, I'll be keeping the car for a long time. However, how I do know the car isn't a lemon or has had a bad history. Getting it thoroughly checked at a workshop would be ideal, but I'm not sure if the dealer will allow the car to be taken outside his dealership (that is, before a deal is sealed).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd August 2019 at 23:58. Reason: Trimming quoted post. A long quoted post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 25th July 2019, 12:45   #3216
BHPian

You will have to negotiate the deal well with your dealer. You can offer a small token and ask him to accompany you to the nearest FASS / workshop of your choice for the checkup.

Its an established fact that the Fiat's don't resell quickly and you may have leverage in case you show genuine interest. The dealer may entertain your request if you press hard enough. Some used car dealers (atleast in Bombay/Thane/Navi Mumbai) have tie ups with authorized ASS to get a copy of the service history for a small fee.

That said, when you test drive the car it should feel tight, look for typical accident damages, ensure batteries and tyres have reasonable life etc.

T Jet parts generally cost twice as much as the NA 1.4 Linea or the MJD, so if you get a copy of the service history check on what major replacements / work has already been done / pending so as to get an idea as to what cost of ownership in the short term are you looking at.

Typically in your case for a 45K Km T Jet major service (all fluids/filters change), timing belt replacement, spark plug replacement etc will come up shortly. Also parts like alternator (Rs 21k) and starters (Rs 11k) are prone to fail atleast once in T Jets upto 50K Km. OEM Tyres generally last upto 40K Km (depending on the driving habits) so check if the tyres are OEM due for change or replaced.

Part prices are accurately available on 99rpm.com

Hope this helps.
mitsalltheway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 13:02   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meples View Post
Hi,
I have been in the market for a pre-loved Tjet. I知 based in Gurgaon and have been checking out Tbhp and other forums as well. Recently I spotted one on OLX and have my eyes set on her - a 2014 Linea Tjet (114PS) with 45K on the odo. The dealer is quoting 4Lacs (negotiable), which fits my budget. My question, will it be the right decision to make? I know I知 contradicting myself,
Rs 4 Lacs is on the higher side for a TJet with 45K on the Odo. Since the car is into its 5th year, you will have to spend significant amount (Rs 50K - 75K) on servicing and part replacement in the next year or two. Do check the service history and if possible get it inspected by a reliable FIAT mechanic.

Anything under Rs 3 Lacs would be a good deal.
MBond007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 23:22   #3218
BHPian

I'll be completing 1 year with my pre owned 2010 T Jet in 2 days. The experience has been great thus far. Not only does the T Jet give me a very satisfying driving experience, the upkeep and grooming required keeps the motorhead / auto hobbyist in me occupied, alive and kicking. IMHO Its too boring to buy a brand new, super reliable car without having to work on it much

In the past 1 year I've done the follwing,

1) Last week replaced the 5 year old Michelins with smacking new 205/55 R16 Goodyear Assurance Triplemax 2's. Before anyone pounces on me with the Michelin vs Goodyear argument, I did my due diligence. The GY's cost me atleast 8k less than the Michelin 4ST's for a set of 4, which is huge considering my cars 9 years old and doesnt see more than 6k Km per year. The GY's are silent (as of now), have great grip (no difference over the Michelins) and look good. Only grouse is a stiffer ride, which seems to be due to over inflation (will check first thing tmrow). Replacement done by the very knowledgeable Mr Mark Premji (of Premji TyrePlus, Thane)

2) Did a little research and had my alternator repaired for Rs 3.5 K instead of buying a new one for Rs 21K at the always reliable Pai Auto, Santacruz.

3) When my starter conked off, researched and found out that Valeo (french brand, Big European OEM) made a variant of the starter (original was a Hitachi). which was a straight fit !! Saved atleast Rs 6 K (Rs 11k @ FASS vs Rs 5k). Purchased from Balaji Automobiles. Was advised by the very helpful south indian owner (sorry to have forgotten his name)

4) Detailing etc done at the excellent Max Shine, Thane.

Next up, front discs / brake pads / sparkplugs need replacement soon. Any leads if Bosch / any other manufacturer makes equivalent parts that are more value for money / reduce dependency on Fiat / 99rpm / Mopar ?
mitsalltheway is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 15:39   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
Rs 4 Lacs is on the higher side for a TJet with 45K on the Odo. Since the car is into its 5th year, you will have to spend significant amount (Rs 50K - 75K) on servicing and part replacement in the next year or two. Do check the service history and if possible get it inspected by a reliable FIAT mechanic.

Anything under Rs 3 Lacs would be a good deal.
I second this. Linea Tjet has pathetic resale value in NCR Region. When I was looking for second hand Tjet in 2016, I was getting well maintained less run Tjet's for less than 3L in Delhi. I Being located in Garden(Less) city, where used car market fetches the good value, I could not get anything below 4.
amit1agrawal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 12:04   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsalltheway View Post
...researched and found out that Valeo (french brand, Big European OEM) made a variant of the starter (original was a Hitachi). which was a straight fit !! Saved atleast Rs 6 K (Rs 11k @ FASS vs Rs 5k)....

This is very valuable information, not just for saving the money but for finding the proper alternatives. Good job and thank you.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:12   #3221
BHPian

I have an aftermarket HU with connects2 interface to retain steering controls, so removed the blue&me unit to make some additional space in the glovebox. ODO started blinking after I turned on the ignition. Is this normal? Does the blue&me unit be connected whether you use it or not? I suspect the canbus is looking for blue&me unit and not finding it.

Last edited by Weathered : 16th August 2019 at 15:20.
Old 18th August 2019, 13:31   #3222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
I have an aftermarket HU with connects2 interface to retain steering controls, so removed the blue&me unit to make some additional space in the glovebox. ODO started blinking after I turned on the ignition. Is this normal? Does the blue&me unit be connected whether you use it or not? I suspect the canbus is looking for blue&me unit and not finding it.
Yep the odo will keep blinking if you disconnect Blu and Me. My blu and me conked off 6 months back and I got it disconnected, as keeping it connected was draining power from the battery, leaving it dead overnight. Don't worry too much about it, everything will function normal.

BTW: what head unit have you purchased? The ASC quoted 15 K for Blu and me , so I'm thinking for getting a replacement HU altogether.
Old 18th August 2019, 14:08   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
Get it hooked to the examiner at the ASC and delete the error codes and do proxy alignment with the device. I'm running an aftermarket HU with connects2 interface for nearly 8 years in my Tjet and the odo doesn't blink. It did start doing it a couple years back, but one round of proxy alignment and it went away, never to return again.
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:30   #3224
BHPian

Has anyone tried this petrol injector cleaner : Liqui Moly ?

I am planning to use this for my Linea TJet, 7.8 years old, having 57000 km on the odo. Though most of the reviews on Amazon are good, none of them are from a TJet user. Couple of reviews are scary, wherein the users have complained about starting problem after using this product.

It would be of great help if a fellow BHPian who owns a TJet and has used this product can throw some light on it.
Old 19th September 2019, 18:14   #3225
BHPian

All the respected T-Jet owners. I know there is a thread which was opened this year which talks about if it makes sense buying one in 2019. I am bored of my 2017 Baleno petrol 1.2 to be very honest and getting an itch to go for a pre-owned t-jet.
I have owned a Palio S10 earlier and an Uno before that. Burnt my pockets maintaining them but yes it was a joyful ownership barring those holes and I know these cars come with their share of pros and cons but my heart wants to dive for a T-jet. I tried twice earlier and missed very narrowly buying a t-jet.
There are two service centres in Hyderabad as of now and I am sure no one knows when they will shut shop.

Heart says to sell my existing car and go for a pre-owned t-jet (as i can't afford to maintain both) but mind says don't look else where because of the peace of mind I am getting in owning a Maruti.

Just wanted vent my dilemma here
Abhi_abarth is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed