Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 18:06   #3256
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post

It is time to change two of the tyres. The car is running on Michelin Primacy PS3 205/55R16 now. I was forced to change two of the tyres which came factory fitted (Goodyear NCT) when two of them burst after going through a pothole on a road....

...The question is, Are there any better alternatives? Any equally good option at lower price? ...

I have the MRF perfinza on the Punto . They're not like Michelins but pretty close . You should try them . They're at a fraction of cost . around 5200 INR >

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th January 2020 at 19:09. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 24th January 2020, 19:43   #3257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I have the MRF perfinza on the Punto. You should try them.

Thank you for the recommendation.
But, I am sorry, I already got Michelin Primacy 4 for my T Jet earlier this month.

Both the Michelin dealers in Pondy didn't have stock of Primacy 4ST for the T Jet (205/55R16) and I ordered it on Tyre Market (tyremarket.com)

They took some time to deliver it, though.

I placed the order on 28th December 2019. I spoke to their customer care after placing the order, to inquire about the manufacturing date of the tyre, just to ensure that I get recent ones. They told they were sourcing the tyre from Surat and it will take some time. I was apprehensive because I had a 1200kms (to and fro) trip coming up on 11th January and wanted to change the tyres before I start.
I had to contact the people at Tyre Market a few times over the next week and a manager Mr Manjunath contacted me about the delay in procuring and shipping the tyres.
Finally the tyres were delivered (by FedEx, on priority, as instructed by Tyre Market staff) on 10th morning. I got the tyres changed the same day and left the next day early morning on the trip.

The first experience with Tyre Market was 'okay' - a bit disappointed because of the delay (13 days to deliver), but I believe there was some justification for the delay because of the specs of the tyre (not a very commonly used one). But couple of people in managerial position who contacted me were earnest and helpful.

The tyres were 4119 & 4319 manufactured ones (41st and 43rd weeks) and I guess it is acceptable?

Needless to say, the T Jet's ride has become smoother with the new Michelins shod on the front wheels and the breaking also feels better.

The tyres cost ₹9000 each. I had opted for free shipping, so had to pay for fitting the tyre at the dealership here, along with balancing, alignment etc. That came to approximately ₹1000 (total), if my memory is correct.
Yes, the Michelins are a bit expensive, indeed.
sparameswaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 14:41   #3258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
You can go to Landmark in Okhla Phase I. No need to go to Moti Nagar.
Thanks nkapoor777. Do you have any idea about their service quality? The reviews on Google is not very promising.
Old 27th January 2020, 14:49   #3259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
Thanks nkapoor777. Do you have any idea about their service quality? The reviews on Google is not very promising.
I have only got a brake pads change done by them last month on my Tjet. That's anyway a straight forward job. Yet to go for service or any other troubleshooting. Meet Bhagwan Singh there - he's one of the senior mechanics and refer my name
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 01:21   #3260
BHPian

Sorry for being late to the party. I wanted to know if anyone of you guys had to change their suspensions during their ownership tenure? My 2010 Fiat Linea is running on its third set of suspension and the left front one still feels a bit weary already and giving more understeer than before.
Old 21st February 2020, 10:51   #3261
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxy.danger View Post
Sorry for being late to the party. I wanted to know if anyone of you guys had to change their suspensions during their ownership tenure? My 2010 Fiat Linea is running on its third set of suspension and the left front one still feels a bit weary already and giving more understeer than before.
My Jan 2017 Linea has already had both it's front suspensions changed.

The front right suspension was changed within 3 months under warranty as there was some noise coming every time the car was driven on undulated surfaces.

I had to change the left suspension and mount last month.
There was some noise intermittently. The issue was found to be with the left suspension mount. While replacing the same it was noted that the left suspension had become weak and could give trouble in near future, so that was also changed. The left suspension was replaced under good-will as my warranty had expired just a month earlier.
Old 21st February 2020, 10:58   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
My Jan 2017 Linea has already had both it's front suspensions changed.

The front right suspension was changed within 3 months under warranty as there was some noise coming every time the car was driven on undulated surfaces.

I had to change the left suspension and mount last month.
There was some noise intermittently. The issue was found to be with the left suspension mount. While replacing the same it was noted that the left suspension had become weak and could give trouble in near future, so that was also changed. The left suspension was replaced under good-will as my warranty had expired just a month earlier.
How's it holding up at the moment? Mine had a changeover during 2018 and still randomly gives away squeaky noise and dhud-dhud noise while going over potholes.
Old 21st February 2020, 15:12   #3263
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxy.danger View Post
How's it holding up at the moment? Mine had a changeover during 2018 and still randomly gives away squeaky noise and dhud-dhud noise while going over potholes.
No issues with the right side suspension that was changed 3 years ago. The left one is just a couple of weeks old.

Check if it's the suspension or just the suspension mount.
Lij is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 08:59   #3264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I haven't personally checked boodmo or 99rpm, but a few friends have enquired and haven't had any luck.

The part number you require is 59064320/51814574.

Good luck if you can find it, and please let us know if you do.
Hi,
I have just ordered the low GC struts for my Tjet 125s. The Fiat guys said that the coil springs were never different between the old and new Tjet. It was different for Multijet. I don't know if they are right.

So, if I use the current springs and old Linea struts, will the GC go down or not ?

I have a Linea Tjet 125s, bought in 2017. It has done only 12k till date.
Was being driven by Dad. Now it is with me.

I was never happy with the handling on our Tjet. I have driven the Puntos and I know how solidly planted they feel. Our Tjet has never given that feeling. Its handling feels quite nervous. There is a side to side rocking on some roads (which the Punto doesn't do). I just don't feel very confident driving our Tjet at speeds. Whereas on the Punto I feel glued to the road.
The steering feel on my Tjet is also not as direct as my friends Punto.

Lately I am hearing some suspension noise on the Tjet as well. My apprehension is, probably the suspension setup on my Tjet is not right. I have already ordered the lower GC kit. Fiat guys in Bangalore told me that for Tjet only the shock absorbers needs to be changed, everything else is the same as the old Tjet. Is that correct ?

Are there any other suspension components that might be responsible for the lack of stability and handling ? Since I am spending on lowering the GC, I do not might ordering any other components and getting it sorted out once for all.

Please suggest.

(Mods: I had created a separate thread for this question. Now I have found this thread, so posted it again)

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd February 2020 at 10:37. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:22   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post

Lately I am hearing some suspension noise on the Tjet as well. My apprehension is, probably the suspension setup on my Tjet is not right.
In addition to rest of the parts, check the stabilizer links and do note that excess tyre pressure can also cause poor high speed dynamics and noise.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 22nd February 2020 at 10:24.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:28   #3266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a side to side rocking on some roads (which the Punto doesn't do). I just don't feel very confident driving our Tjet at speeds. Whereas on the Punto I feel glued to the road.
I am fairly sure you have already checked this, but is there any chance that the tires are overinflated (could even be one tire)?
Visually inspect the tires too, see if the wear pattern on the treads is fairly even. While alignment issues usually do not lead to any side-to-side motion (usually they cause a pull to one side), at 12K kms, you should be able to see a tiny bit of wear.
Quote:
Lately I am hearing some suspension noise on the Tjet as well.
Tell us a little more; what kind of noise are you hearing? Is it a "thud"/"clunk" (worn out bushes on strut mounts or anti-roll bar can cause this) or is there squeaking? When do you hear this noise, going over bumps, while braking etc.? How does the car behave under heavy-braking (does it dive too abruptly)?
Here's something to check, turn the front wheels fully (i.e. lock-to-lock) on each side, then with a good flashlight make sure that there is no visible oil/leakage from the struts. I think the Linea has rubber or plastic strut bellow that you might have to lift up to check this. I have embedded a photo from an Acura forum to give you an idea of what to watch out for (an oily residue around the strut). Generally, if struts are not leaking, there shouldn't be any need for a replacement.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_0897.jpg
Quote:
My apprehension is, probably the suspension setup on my Tjet is not right. I have already ordered the lower GC kit. Fiat guys in Bangalore told me that for Tjet only the shock absorbers needs to be changed, everything else is the same as the old Tjet. Is that correct?
I do not know whether this is true or not, but just so we are clear, the Fiat folks are replacing the springs or the struts (shock absorber seems to be a catch all phrase for all suspensions components, but perhaps they mean the struts)? These are fairly expensive parts (I am guessing around Rs. 4000 for each strut), so if you do not know that there is anything broken, why do this repair?
Quote:
Are there any other suspension components that might be responsible for the lack of stability and handling ? Since I am spending on lowering the GC, I do not might ordering any other components and getting it sorted out once for all.
The car has not run enough to need a replacement of these components, but please get the lower ball-joints (on the control arm), as well as the outer steering tie-rod ends checked.
Keep us posted, the Linea T-Jet is a fantastic car, and I hope you get this thing sorted out .

Last edited by Amartya : 22nd February 2020 at 10:29.
Amartya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 10:38   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I have just ordered the low GC struts for my Tjet 125s. The Fiat guys said that the coil springs were never different between the old and new Tjet. It was different for Multijet. I don't know if they are right.

So, if I use the current springs and old Linea struts, will the GC go down or not ?
The Fiat guy who told you this needs to be smacked on the head with the coil springs he is trying to sell you.

If you go to 99rpm and do a search you will find a DIFFERENT part number for the low GC coils which is marked discontinued. This has also been confirmed by KHT, Bangalore and Vroome Point, Mumbai, so if you want you can go back to the chap you are dealing with and ask him to show you where it says the coils are the same.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-99rpm-rear-springs.jpg

Venkyhere managed to find a set of used low GC springs and according to him the coils are different
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-tjet-low-high-coils.jpg

If you do decide to go with the available low GC setup, changing the front and rear struts you will end up with a stance like this where the front drops down to the low GC setting, but the rear with the high GC coils stays about the same height. This is my car, and I am staying with this for now as it has reduced the slow speed rocking that was really irritating.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-hybrid-setup.jpg

Below are some examples of low and high GC cars belonging to members of this site which clearly shows the difference in ride heights. The ones on the left are High GC.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-tjet-ride-height.jpg
keroo1099 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:00   #3268
BHPian

Thanks guys, thats a lot of important information for me.

Quote:
If you do decide to go with the available low GC setup, changing the front and rear struts you will end up with a stance like this where the front drops down to the low GC setting, but the rear with the high GC coils stays about the same height. This is my car, and I am staying with this for now as it has reduced the slow speed rocking that was really irritating.
Attachment 1972392
@keroo1099, does that mean the front springs are identical between the old and new TJet ?
I still hope there is some lowering of the rear end with a shorter strut

Quote:
Tell us a little more; what kind of noise are you hearing? Is it a "thud"/"clunk" (worn out bushes on strut mounts or anti-roll bar can cause this) or is there squeaking? When do you hear this noise, going over bumps, while braking etc.? How does the car behave under heavy-braking (does it dive too abruptly)?
Thanks for your input @Amartya. The sound from the suspension are of 2 types in my case.
1. When I brake or sometimes even start from standstill I hear squeak.
2. When I go over bad roads, i.e the 2 front wheels are at different height levels negotiating different kind of road surface and the car rocking side to side, I hear low thuds from the right suspension. I don't hear any noise when I go over a bump and both wheels are at same level. Rapid undulating roads is where I hear it clearly from the front right suspension area.

I regularly get the tire pressure checked so that is not the problem. Tires are actually in great shape.

Steering doesnt feel very direct. There is under-steer. Car doesn't feel planted.
I really don't know if the Fiat service guy would even understand my concern
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:39   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
@keroo1099, does that mean the front springs are identical between the old and new TJet ?
I still hope there is some lowering of the rear end with a shorter strut
Front springs are identical, rear are different. The rear doesn't go down at all, but even with this Hybrid system the car doesn't touch with 5 healthy adults and a full boot.

You can get a set of 4 Eibach springs or Cobra for 24k that you can use with the existing dampers. I am told that the height goes down by about an inch, but the ride gets 30% stiffer for the Eibachs.
Old 22nd February 2020, 17:18   #3270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Front springs are identical, rear are different. The rear doesn't go down at all, but even with this Hybrid system the car doesn't touch with 5 healthy adults and a full boot.

You can get a set of 4 Eibach springs or Cobra for 24k that you can use with the existing dampers. I am told that the height goes down by about an inch, but the ride gets 30% stiffer for the Eibachs.
Is this hybrid setup better than the default high GC setup ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks