Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2020, 17:22   #3271
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pani View Post
Is this hybrid setup better than the default high GC setup ?
I have mentioned it in my earlier post but will repeat.

If you do decide to go with the available low GC setup, changing the front and rear struts you will end up with a stance like this where the front drops down to the low GC setting, but the rear with the high GC coils stays about the same height. This is my car, and I am staying with this for now as it has reduced the slow speed rocking that was really irritating.

The butt sticking in the air stance isn't the nicest but I am taking functionality over form.
Old 22nd February 2020, 17:36   #3272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I have mentioned it in my earlier post but will repeat.

If you do decide to go with the available low GC setup, changing the front and rear struts you will end up with a stance like this where the front drops down to the low GC setting, but the rear with the high GC coils stays about the same height. This is my car, and I am staying with this for now as it has reduced the slow speed rocking that was really irritating.

The butt sticking in the air stance isn't the nicest but I am taking functionality over form.
Thanks. Have you driven any TJet with the proper low GC setup ?
Old 22nd February 2020, 17:44   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Have you driven any TJet with the proper low GC setup ?
I have driven a couple, but only in the city and both felt more composed with less roll than my original high GC setup. The difference between my Hybrid setup and the low GC is marginal.

If I remember correctly, the 125s sits even higher than my original 2014 facelifted Linea, so I really don't know what Fiat was doing with the suspension setup.
Old 24th February 2020, 07:39   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
I have driven a couple, but only in the city and both felt more composed with less roll than my original high GC setup. The difference between my Hybrid setup and the low GC is marginal.

If I remember correctly, the 125s sits even higher than my original 2014 facelifted Linea, so I really don't know what Fiat was doing with the suspension setup.
I don't know about other 125s cars, but my car has multiple issues. The AC doesnt cool well, steering feedback is not right, suspension is not convincing, the spring on the door handles feels light, the "thud" on door closure have a honda like sound instead of regular Fiat like, the clutch travel is quite long (compared to my friend's punto) and also has bite region which is bothering.

Another thing I noticed is the angle from the edge of the driver seat to the clutch pedals. The older cars had a very shallow angle which made for a easy stretched out leg posture. The 125s has a much sharper angle giving it a feeling that one is sitting on a chair with knees bent

I don't know if any of these can be rectified by a typical Fiat service center. :-(
Old 24th February 2020, 08:02   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about other 125s cars, but my car has multiple issues. The AC doesnt cool well, steering feedback is not right, suspension is not convincing, the spring on the door handles feels light, the "thud" on door closure have a honda like sound instead of regular Fiat like, the clutch travel is quite long (compared to my friend's punto) and also has bite region which is bothering.
May I ask when and from what dealer you got the car? The reason being, I remember going with Adneo about 2-3 years ago and doing a PDI on a car that was offered to him by KHT which we rejected because it was riddled with flaws, and when started sounded a bit like a tractor.

Last edited by ampere : 4th March 2020 at 08:02. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 24th February 2020, 09:49   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
May I ask when and from what dealer you got the car? The reason being, I remember going with Adneo about 2-3 years ago and doing a PDI on a car that was offered to him by KHT which we rejected because it was riddled with flaws, and when started sounded a bit like a tractor.
I bought it from Bharat Motors, Bhubaneswar. It doesn't have flaws with engine or gear box as such. But some mechanical flaws are obvious
Old 2nd March 2020, 15:47   #3277
BHPian

Let me start by saying, I’m 8 years late to the party!

Yes, I bought a Linea TJET! It’s a 2012 model, top trim, in top shape. Or is it? Will get to that later.
The search began in 2017, but for one reason or another, the decision kept on getting postponed.
Fiat, in the meanwhile, decided to ditch us all Fiat fans and customers alike and leave India.
However, my mind was set. If it was a new car, I’d buy a TJET or continue driving my Punto.
Yes, I have a Punto - a 1.2. With its measly 67hp motor, it’s still a joyride.
Cut to Dec 2019, I saw an ad on OLX. Pinged the person immediately and then within a week the deal was closed. 14K on the odo, priced at 4.3L. I scooped it up! The gentleman whom I bought it from is an ardent Fiat enthusiast and had kept his car in pristine condition.
The registration process got over only last month and here I’m finally writing on TBHP, about a car I always wanted to write about.

Things that have surpassed expectations +
Huge upgrade as far as power delivery is concerned. I’m still getting used to the power surge post 2k rpm.
AC is quite good. It’s got auto climate control and all in all the cabin is a very cool and comfortable place.
The steering! Still the gold standard?

Things that have let me down (a bit) -
Ride quality. Yes, you heard that right. No one complains about the ride quality of the Linea. But I feel my Punto rides way better on bad roads, than the TJET. Maybe because of the 205-55-R16 tyres?

Brakes. Let me explain. I believe I have to get the brakes diagnosed properly. The TJET stops like an anchor, but my car doesn’t. I got the front rotors and pads changed recently at Fiat’s A-S-S (Landmark, Gurgaon), but the bite isn’t there. I understand the pads are new and they have to bed in, so I have kept my fingers crossed. Of late, I have started hearing this (sometimes unusually loud), whistling noise while breaking.

Engine noise. At idle it’s very refined and silent. But on passing the accelerator, the car sounds a little gruff to me. Is it normal engine noise?

All in all, I’m super happy with my TJET. I knew its problems and I’m ready to live with them. Mind 0. Heart 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-20200229_191912.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-inshot_20200118_125836359.jpg  

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-inshot_20200118_192644228.jpg  

meples is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 04:59   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meples View Post
Maybe because of the 205-55-R16 tyres?Brakes.
Engine noise.
Check tire pressure. Maintain a 32 - 30 set up (Front, Rear) and check. Also; if you are riding on 4+ year old tires, that could contribute to that. 16" do have a tendency to ride harsh but the T Jet's suspension is so well set up that you'd should not feel it all that much. In fact; the car rides even better when loaded.

From what you describe, that sounds like air in the system. You might want to get the brake fluid replaced and a bleed job. This has to be done properly else it won't result in much of an improvement.

Engine noise that you describe is odd. I owned a 2011 T Jet and did not observe such a thing in 5 years. Check the condition of the oil, oil filter and air filter element.

Be good to get the Inter cooler replaced. The stock IC is useless and ends up in a heat soaked state leading to power loss and excess fuel consumption, when ambient temperatures are high.

I recommend a good private garage to maintain your car.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 4th March 2020 at 05:02.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 10:32   #3279
BHPian

Quote:
Let me start by saying, I’m 8 years late to the party!

Yes, I bought a Linea TJET! It’s a 2012 model, top trim, in top shape. Or is it? Will get to that later.

Congrats on your purchase and joining the very few exclusive club in India. The car really looks in top shape and has run very few kms. You are lucky to find that kind of machine. If you are in Bangalore I can suggest you to take the cars to Pride Cars in Uttarahalli road and contact Harish and explain the issues that you think might be there. He will be very meticulous and advice you the right changes.

He did bring a 72K run same Fiat Linea Tjet to top shape in 2018 and now I dont have to visit them for anything expect the yearly service.
gopikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 12:23   #3280
BHPian

@Sandeepmohan, the tyre pressure maintained is 36-33 (front and rear). This was according to the manual. No wonder the ride is bouncy. However, it has gotten a little better I believe now. Not sure if it coincides with the fact that I haven't filled nitrogen in 1 and a half months.

The tyres are brand new too. These are Pirelli P6 205-55-R16s.

The car was fully serviced before being sold to me. So I will probably wait a few months before I go for a full service again.

About finding a good garage, I have serviced my Punto at World of Service, Noida. I'm thinking of taking the TJET to them as well. Have found their service to be good, except it's a long drive from where I currently reside - Gurgaon.

@GopiKB, thanks for your wishes. It is indeed an exclusive car and spotting one on the road here in Delhi-NCR is a rarity.
Old 4th March 2020, 21:47   #3281
BHPian

Quote:

Things that have let me down (a bit) -
Ride quality. Yes, you heard that right. No one complains about the ride quality of the Linea. But I feel my Punto rides way better on bad roads, than the TJET. Maybe because of the 205-55-R16 tyres?

Brakes. Let me explain. I believe I have to get the brakes diagnosed properly. The TJET stops like an anchor, but my car doesn’t. I got the front rotors and pads changed recently at Fiat’s A-S-S (Landmark, Gurgaon), but the bite isn’t there. I understand the pads are new and they have to bed in, so I have kept my fingers crossed. Of late, I have started hearing this (sometimes unusually loud), whistling noise while breaking.

Engine noise. At idle it’s very refined and silent. But on passing the accelerator, the car sounds a little gruff to me. Is it normal engine noise?
Indeed the punto even with a higher profile tires both rides and handles better than a Linea. Goes to show that engineering after all matters. Punto has been engineered ground up unlike Linea. So, we have to live with that little gap.

Brakes on a Tjet is very sharp. So it needs to be checked.

Engine noise can sound a bit gruff on revving only if you are coming from a Honda City else it is actually quite sexy a sound.

Congratulations for listening to your heart. Unlike what many believe, I feel Tjet makes the best sense in India. There is simply no other option.
Pani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 04:54   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Sandeepmohan, the tyre pressure maintained is 36-33 (front and rear). This was according to the manual.
Ignore what the manual says with regard to tire pressure. Very few car manufacturers get this right. Those figures are too high for our conditions. A sprint on the highway is all it takes to raise that figure a few psi higher and the car ends up feeling light on it heels, which isn't how a T Jet should feel.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 17:49   #3283
BHPian

@Pani, thank you! I feel the TJET makes (or rather made) sense only if you are/were a Fiat believer. It's not everyone's cup of tea!

@Sandeepmohan, will keep your suggestion in mind. Thank you!
Old 9th April 2020, 17:55   #3284
BHPian

Hi,

I got my Linea serviced last February at a FASS in Noida. Even though it has barely covered 2000 km since then, I am planning to get it serviced as soon as the lockdown is over.

Since the car has 59K on the odo, I am also thinking of changing all fluids during the service. The last fluid change was probably done in 2014/15 (this is a pre-owned car and the service center guys have not filled the service booklet properly).

Should I go to a FASS or get the servicing done from an FNG? The FASS in Noida, where I used to go, has closed few months back. The nearest option is the one in Landmark in Okla, Delhi. The SA over there has declined my request to bring my own engine oil (Motul). He said that it is against their policy. Due to this, I am inclined towards getting the service done in an FNG, but one major challenge is procuring spare parts and fluids. 99rpm does not seem very reliable and the shops in Delhi or Noida don't seem to stock Petronas transmission or power steering oil. Even Bodomo does not stock them.

Kindly suggest what should be done. TIA.
Old 9th April 2020, 18:09   #3285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I bought a Linea TJET! It’s a 2012 model.
Cut to Dec 2019, I saw an ad on OLX. 14K on the odo, priced at 4.3L. I scooped it up!
Don't you think the price paid is rather high for an 8 year old TJet, especially, since there's no FIAT in India. I think you've paid more than 100% of what's the car's worth. Enjoy your ride, all the same.

Most Viewed