Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2010, 23:43   #421
BHPian

Hello!

Had 2 back to back test drives this afternoon. The Honda City and the Linea T-Jet. I used the same route to do an apple to apple comparison.
I have used a Palio for more than 1 lakh kms, sold it off last year and have been scouting for a car since then.
I had sworn not to put my money on a FIAT again; mind you, this is purely because of the service issues.
But Damn, the Linea just blew me away today.

I drove the ANHC first. My wife was with me for the TD and was on the rear seat.
We crossed 4 speed breakers and the car scrapped 2 of them, despite coming to a complete halt before going over. This was with just 3 people (my wife, me and the sales exec). It was not even a large one (on the Worli Sea Face back road, for any of the Bombay guys reading this) - quite disappointing really.
Much has been said about the engine, so won't say much more. Its free revving and hits the sweet spot and I had more or less decided on this.

Went next to Concorde Motors for the Linea. This was a spur of the moment decision and I had not called in advance either.
The car was explained well and on asking for a TD, they agreed readily and the car was ready for a TD within 15 minutes.
On the sales execs instructions, slotted the car in first and floored the accelerator. There was a slight lag, then a mighty shove as I was pushed back in the seat. My wife goes WOW from the rear seat.
On another section, I downshifted from 4th to 3rd. You get pushed back in the seat, as the T-Jet surges ahead.
Fantastic road holding and a suspension that seems to be designed for our brilliant roads. It flies over Bombay's idiotic, broken, paver block covered roads without a murmur and true to its line.
The steering is leagues ahead of ANHC and weighs in well.
The torque is available from low down the rev band - I took the car down to 20 kmph in third and stepped on the accelerator. It responded with a smooth increase in speed, no engine knocking, no fuss whatsoever.
Like GTO said, its built like a Tijori and feels like it could last forever. Its stunning to look at with the 16” wheels and fat rubber.
And yes, I did go over all 4 speed-breakers at a higher speed than before and did not scrape even once.
The Linea is equipped to the gills with goodies that makes Honda’s offering look pedestrian. FIAT is giving 4 years warranty for engine, gearbox and suspension + 2 years warranty for electricals. There is a 50 month Road Side Assistance that is all included in the On road price.
The Sales exec claimed that the T-jet engine is manufactured in India, so parts and service will not be an issue, since adequate provision has been made in terms of parts availability and manpower training.
AND, the T-jet is still cheaper than the ANHC 1.5VMT!
Honda is offering free insurance, but still…
On the way back home, the Wife goes..."are you sure you still want to plonk 10 big ones on a Honda? I wouldn't!" and she is the practical one in the house.

Its back to the drawing board for me now.
Old 29th November 2010, 00:41   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Great review, certainly on my list. Looking at the performance figures, it looks like the Palio GTX is much quicker to 100kmph, is it the weight factor?
Going by Autocar India figures, the Linea T-Jet accelarates from 0-100 KMPH in 11.05 seconds. The figure for the GTX was 11.19 seconds (as per a 2001 test, if I remember correctly). So looks like the Linea is faster to the ton.

However, unlike earlier tests where they used the same road for every acceleration test (VRDE track in Ahmednagar, I believe), the tracks/roads vary between tests these days. So one cannot be 100% sure here.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 29th November 2010 at 00:43.
Old 29th November 2010, 07:09   #423
Senior - BHPian

@Sathya79 : The T-Jet engine is currently being imported and is not manufactured in India, BUT, with the good response the T-Jet is getting, u never know. ;-). Maybe then we'll get a Punto T-Jet..!

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 29th November 2010 at 07:12.
Old 29th November 2010, 14:20   #424
BHPian

However, most of Linea parts are locally manufactured. Many of the parts, even those prone to minor accidents, are much cheaper than others (including Maruti). Availability is not an issue (I know because I had my share of replacements - accident as well as warranty). Nothing to worry at least for now!
Old 29th November 2010, 15:49   #425

pure driving bliss

Friends, I had a chance to drive my dad’s linea t-jet for over 1400 kms which he recently purchased. I drove this beauty via Bangalore>Shimonga>ThirthaHalli>Agumbe>Udupi>kollu r and back to Bangalore. Here are my observations. Most of my observations are in comparison with 2010 Punto MJD that I drive regularly to office.

Cons:
Gearshift is rubbery, same as my Punto (no improvement)
Leather seats quality is average
Turbolag quite evident but not a major issue (downshift as quickly as possible)

Pros:
Highly responsive engine above 1800 rpm
Improved Fit & Finish
Excellent GC. Better than my Punto.
Excellent brakes
Tyre noise is negligible. Improvement over Punto
Excellent HVAC

I don’t see much difference in plastic quality but Fiat addressed most of the other concerns. We must commend them for the effort sans sales experience where I don’t see any improvement.
After a spirited run, MFD showed a fuel efficiency of 16.58 KMPL. My dad generally gets 9-10 KMPL in city conditions. That’s mainly due to traffic and his office is just 7 KM from our home.

After driving for 1400+ KMs, I can’t drive my punto!! It feels so lethargicI really miss that engine sound in my punto...
Old 29th November 2010, 20:15   #426
Senior - BHPian

Finally found time to test drive the T-Jet today. The car was arranged in 5 mins at Pandit in Pimpri. I was expecting a LOT after reading all the reviews here, and boy was i impressed. The power delivery is awesome and it keeps going on and on right through the rev band. I had taken a colleague with me who didn't like Fiat cars and had the same perception that most Indians have about Fiat and he was thrilled too. He now sees Fiat in a new light..!!
And the engine note - wow.!
My dad hates giving me the Punto 1.4 at home, because i love revving that engine and his average fuel consumption goes fr a toss.. !
Old 30th November 2010, 07:40   #427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-jet-mahi View Post
Friends, I had a chance to drive my dad’s linea t-jet for over 1400 kms which he recently purchased. I drove this beauty via Bangalore>Shimonga>ThirthaHalli>Agumbe>Udupi>kollu r and back to Bangalore. Here are my observations. Most of my observations are in comparison with 2010 Punto MJD that I drive regularly to office.
Last month I covered parts of this route - Mangalore -> Kollur -> Udupi and the roads were in extreme bad condition. Good to hear that the T-Jet managed it well
Old 30th November 2010, 11:48   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Last month I covered parts of this route - Mangalore -> Kollur -> Udupi and the roads were in extreme bad condition. Good to hear that the T-Jet managed it well
The road conditions were pathetic to say the least. Most of the roads are spoiled during the monsoon. GC is very good and I didn't scrape once during this trip. Some of my other friends coming in honda city had a tough time in these terrains due to low GC.
However, ANHC did overtake us in open streches. May be I didn't push too much as it was still the run-in period and my dad was sitting next to me.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:10   #429
BHPian

I see that Tjet is definitely better than the earlier version of Linea but still there is room for a lot of improvement. Given an option, I will go for VW Vento than Linea
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:40   #430
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Prerana Motors to enquire about my new Palio. I was interacting with the Head of Fiat Sales Vijay R. Vijay knows Fiat cars and the compitition in and out. Once the conversation was over, he asked me if I would like to check out the TJet again. He also told me I was free to take it for a longer drive and to return within 30-40 mins as another customer had booked an appointment for TD.

Took her out of the showroom, drove very well in bumper to bumper traffix. Most of the roads around the dealership are of heavy traffic. Took the car towards Ashoka Pillar and some not so busy lanes of Jayanagar. The power in the Turbo band was impeccable. Boy, its addictive. Frankly speaking the motor has so much power that you need a complete open stretch to test it or atleast a race track. Reached speeds of over 100 just in 3rd gear in no time at all.

I have never driven the Jet in 4th and 5th . Give the TJet 2 wings, it will fly with ease, then may be I could try 4th and 5th gear.
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:08   #431
BHPian

THAT is a really cool car!

However, I believe that (Despite the great new engine) the Linea TJ will struggle against the ANHC and Vento.

I am really interested in looking at the ANHC Vs. Vento battle. I believe that in another 3 months - this battle will become very interesting.

Its a shame VW did not introduce Vento before the Polo. This way they would have avoided the "Hatch-with-boot" image..
Old 4th December 2010, 00:35   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz_303 View Post
THAT is a really cool car!

However, I believe that (Despite the great new engine) the Linea TJ will struggle against the ANHC and Vento.

It will suffer on the sale front compared to the ANHC and Vento. But a winner on all other fronts
Old 4th December 2010, 08:05   #433

I still fail to understand the poor sales figures.
A couple of days back Maruti carried out a full page ad claiming they had topped in the JD power Customer satisfaction (CSI) category. I was pleasantly surprised to see FIAT placed second in that list.
And that intrigues me more, they have a very good product in the TJet, they are among the top in Customer satisfaction, but still they aren't managing to get the numbers.
What is it that they are missing? Is it just the timing or is it something more which we mortals can't understand, like luck or alignment of the stars.. etc
Maybe we need to wait for a couple of months to get the real picture. Many folks would prefer Jan-2011 rather than the year end. I, for one, am in that list.
Old 4th December 2010, 12:35   #434
Senior - BHPian

the engine is imported from turkey.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 4th December 2010 at 12:38.
Old 4th December 2010, 13:05   #435
BANNED

I finally got to TD the T-Jet.

And.....!

This car is not meant to be driven in the city... No chance.

I was not able to go beyond 3rd gear, EXTREMELY POWERFUL, GOOD LOW END TORQUE.

The only other (modern)car that i enjoyed driving after the Getz CRDI.

It beats any other Sedan in its class.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks