Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 20:05   #901
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

I get contrasting views on running in my tjet. A couple of folks insist that engine running in is really not required for turbo engines and it is good if we rev the car across all speeds and rpms while there is a section who insist that it is proper running in ( staying between 2-3k rpm) is the best way to tune the engine. Since this is my first turbo car, what is the actual recommendation ?
Old 1st August 2012, 11:04   #902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
I get contrasting views on running in my tjet. A couple of folks insist that engine running in is really not required for turbo engines and it is good if we rev the car across all speeds and rpms while there is a section who insist that it is proper running in ( staying between 2-3k rpm) is the best way to tune the engine. Since this is my first turbo car, what is the actual recommendation ?
I would say from my experience that engine running-in is not required. At the same time I managed only twice or thrice to take the RPM needle past 3k during the car's first 1000kms. I crossed 100 also twice or thrice during that period. If you can manage more, just do it.
One thing I have heard though, is that one shouldn't keep running the new car on constant RPM for long time. I have no idea why? Can experts help.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:02   #903
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
You can just keep the revs a bit low during the running in period. I followed it for upto 2k kms, but there's no hard and fast rule anymore. Fiat doesn't advise any running-in period in the owner's manual anywhere. Even the sales and service advisors recommend normal driving pattern from day 1, but for your conscience, you can just take it easy for the first 1000 kms or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I would say from my experience that engine running-in is not required. At the same time I managed only twice or thrice to take the RPM needle past 3k during the car's first 1000kms. I crossed 100 also twice or thrice during that period. If you can manage more, just do it.
One thing I have heard though, is that one shouldn't keep running the new car on constant RPM for long time. I have no idea why? Can experts help.
I'm no expert, but prolonged running at constant rpms (on a new engine) will lead to an effect called 'engine glazing', where unburnt fuel and deposits form a kind of film on the cylinder walls (because they weren't pushed out into the exhaust properly at constant low revs), causing improper seal of walls with the piston rings. Varying the rpm in a new engine will not allow these glaze deposits to accumulate early on, and will ensure that the piston rings are seated properly into a perfect fit.

Last edited by KarthikK : 1st August 2012 at 12:05.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 13:14   #904
BHPian

Guys, I am just back from test driving the Linea T-Jet.

It felt good. However, there was excessive steering wheel vibration at low speeds. Is that normal?
Old 4th August 2012, 13:28   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy

It felt good. However, there was excessive steering wheel vibration at low speeds. Is that normal?
Nothing to worry about, must be due to bent rims/ unevenly worn tires/ wheel balancing. Linea has one of the nicest steering setups around.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 13:41   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post

Maybe, because of the test drive vehicle. Due to an unbalanced wheel or a damaged alloy.

I own a TJet and have never felt the same. The steering feel is best in class.
bnzjon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 13:43   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Nothing to worry about, must be due to bent rims/ unevenly worn tires/ wheel balancing. Linea has one of the nicest steering setups around.
Exactly my thoughts, in my T-Jet the steering vibration is there though very negligible. It all depends on the condition of TD vehicle.

@johy - what is the deal offered to you as we all know that T-Jets are available with upto Rs.2.30 Lac benefit.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 14:02   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
@johy - what is the deal offered to you as we all know that T-Jets are available with upto Rs.2.30 Lac benefit.
1.15 Lacs gift cheque + free insurance worth 35K or so = 1.5 lacs.

They are also offering exchange bonus of 1L, but I have nearly sold my Baleno elsewhere. I think they will offer very little value for the Baleno, so resale value + exchange bonus = Don't think will be above 2.10 lacs.
Old 4th August 2012, 16:30   #909
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
1.15 Lacs gift cheque + free insurance worth 35K or so = 1.5 lacs.

They are also offering exchange bonus of 1L, but I have nearly sold my Baleno elsewhere. I think they will offer very little value for the Baleno, so resale value + exchange bonus = Don't think will be above 2.10 lacs.
I was badly smitten with the T-jet before balancing fun with practicality took the driver seat and got myself a Figo Diesel.

If you want to claim the exchange bonus, here are a few options
1. Get a very run down car/almost scrap and get it in your name. Then, buy the tjet by exchanging it. You lose very little. This was suggested by the dealer in my town!
2. Entice them to give you a better resale after you quote the resale price you are getting elsewhere. Some dealerships will bend over backwards and might even allow you to sell the car elsewhere and claim the bonus. This was what i got from a Tata-Fiat dealership for a punto 90hp deal i was almost bent on finalizing.
Old 5th August 2012, 00:25   #910

Quote:

have driven mine for 1300km now steering is perfect no vibes at all. the only problem with tjet is its immensely addictive to drive. if you dont mind the petrol bills take the plunge .
Old 20th August 2012, 15:51   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmech View Post
have driven mine for 1300km now steering is perfect no vibes at all. the only problem with tjet is its immensely addictive to drive. if you dont mind the petrol bills take the plunge .
Waiting for my T-Jet now. Booked it last week. I hope it is here soon

Mine is one manufactured at the very end it seems, 26th June 2011
Old 20th August 2012, 16:14   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for my T-Jet now. Booked it last week. I hope it is here soon

Mine is one manufactured at the very end it seems, 26th June 2011
Congratulations johy. This is a real beast.

Couple of weeks back, I was talking with a SA of a Chennai dealer and he told me that currently Fiat only has 6 BNW and 1 HHB Linea T-Jet+ in its factory. What is your car color?
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 16:20   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Congratulations johy. This is a real beast.

Couple of weeks back, I was talking with a SA of a Chennai dealer and he told me that currently Fiat only has 6 BNW and 1 HHB Linea T-Jet+ in its factory. What is your car color?
Ramesh, well my territorial sales manager told me they only had only five Tjets as of now - all Foxtrot Azure. A white one was available for the plain T-Jet version. Though not my favorite color, it does look quite good, I thought.

I think other dealers around the country had some earlier stock in their possession as well.
Old 20th August 2012, 16:24   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ramesh, well my territorial sales manager told me they only had only five Tjets as of now - all Foxtrot Azure. A white one was available for the plain T-Jet version. Though not my favorite color, it does look quite good, I thought.

I think other dealers around the country had some earlier stock in their possession as well.
This is contrary to what I heard from him johy. He is very much reliable person and a trusted guy for me. He clearly told me that they do not have any stock with them currently and not even taking any bookings for the T-Jet. If someone book the car and if it arrives them and if the customer cancel the booking for whatever reason, it becomes difficult for them to sell the car. For this reason, they have stopped taking bookings. They do take bookings if it comes from a known circle of customers. He also clearly told me that if booked, one need to wait for at least 15 days for the car to arrive from the factory to Chennai.
Old 20th August 2012, 16:32   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
This is contrary to what I heard from him johy. He is very much reliable person and a trusted guy for me. He clearly told me that they do not have any stock with them currently and not even taking any bookings for the T-Jet. If someone book the car and if it arrives them and if the customer cancel the booking for whatever reason, it becomes difficult for them to sell the car. For this reason, they have stopped taking bookings. They do take bookings if it comes from a known circle of customers. He also clearly told me that if booked, one need to wait for at least 15 days for the car to arrive from the factory to Chennai.
Ramesh, yes, I am also a bit confused. However, I do think they have FTA, as they have sent me an e-mail with the VIN number and color. And yes, it is coming from the plant at Pune as per e-mail. The same thing here as well, 15 to 20 days for deliver.

I personally think they have more than one color (FTA). Maybe they want to clear the stocks of FTA as it used to be a slow-moving color. I initially wanted white (BSW) or Black. Further, the territorial area manager has assured me that I will get full refund of my booking in case I cancel the same (in case I find a flaw in the car - which they will send only after full PDI from their end).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks