Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 09:18   #1066
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Dear BHPians,

Sorry for the below long post, I need your help in going ahead with my T-Jet purchase :-). Planning to book the car tomorrow.

After much of brainstorming and endless discussions finalized the deal for 7.2 L for 2010 BNW Linea T-Jet+. Yesterday went to dealer and did a detailed PDI. Attached is the PDF format for the PDI I did. I compiled this from threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-kulkarni.html

Steering vibration that I reported from last TD is not present. However still alignment and wheel balancing is not proper. Also some kind of noise from front left side tyre area. Except these other things are fine.

Asked for the following:

1. Replacing all Oils/Filters:
Transmission,
Engine oil,
Coolant,
Break oil,
Power steering oil,
Oil filter
Air filter
Fuel filter
Wire mesh filter
Lubricant
Replace old battery with a new one (2012 make with warranty applicable).
Replace wiper blades.
Wheel alignment and balancing.
Check ABS works fine.

2. Accessories:
Full matting including cover for boot(T-Jet specific).
Countered splash guards (from Absolute Edition).
Reverse parking sensors (from Absolute Edition).
Door sills (from Absolute Edition).
Fiat car cover.

Dealer agreed for the following:

1. Replacing all Oils/Filters:
Engine oil
Oil filter
Wiper blades
New battery (2012 make) , most likely he could give the one from Linea 2012 Diesel TD car.
All other oils (break, power steering, coolant etc...) will be top-up.

2. Accessories:
Full matting including cover for boot (Linea or T-Jet specific).
Countered splash guards (from Absolute Edition).
Body cover.

Accessories more are less are fine, but I was more concerned of not replacing the break, power steering, coolant etc.., is it ok for going topup for these ? What about air filter, fuel filter, lubricant, shall I get all the oils/filters changed (own cost for the ones not agreed by dealer).

Also, had a few queries:
1. From the VIN came to know that its Sept, 2010 manufactured vehicle. All the 4 tyres were in good condition, but 4 of them are with production date as 3rd week of sept,2010 one was from 1st week of october, 2010. Is this fine?

2. From the price list insurance amount is around 32K. But since this is 2010 model, but registration will be done in Jan, 2013, how the insurance is calculated ? Is it based on the model or reg-date ? What about the IDV, will it be 7.2 L or 10.8 L ? I am very confused on it as this a demo vehicle too (SA says the insurance for demo vehicles will be borne by FIAT).

3. SA says standard warranty is for 2 years from date of purchase, but on extended warranty he said he will get back to me since this is a demo vehicle he is also not sure on the extended warranty part.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pre Delivery Checklist - Newcar.pdf (42.5 KB, 464 views)
Old 16th December 2012, 10:53   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Dear BHPians,

Sorry for the below long post, I need your help in going ahead with my T-Jet purchase :-). Planning to book the car tomorrow.

After much of brainstorming and endless discussions finalized the deal for 7.2 L for 2010 BNW Linea T-Jet+. Yesterday went to dealer and did a detailed PDI. Attached is the PDF format for the PDI I did. I compiled this from threads
As the others have pointed, I don't think it's a good deal. Going through the last few posts, I can sense that you've made your mind up on picking this piece. Looks like the dealer has sensed it too. I thought you'd close it at 7 with the absolute edition kit, at the least.

I have a feeling that you are going to pick it up anyway. Fiat does this to your heart and the t-jet is even more exclusive and special. This is what I would think about, at this point. Considering that your vehicle is abused and has yet-to-be-visible rot in it, you would need a lot of goodwill from the dealer to maintain it in the future. This is the worst case, and I hope that issues-wise, "what you see is what you're getting" holds good for you.

1. Get commitment from a higher authority in the dealership that will help you maintain these niggles in the future. Once you're out with the car, sales guys are out of the picture and service story is different from the sales experience. You need to establish the connect with the service heads and this is something a regular SA might not be able to do.
2. Is this dealer opening a fiat exclusive sales, service and spares in your city?
3. Warranty and extended warranty terms and conditions - I'd expect the dealer to be generous here.
4. Insurance was free for most of the times, for the lines and puntos. The quoted insurance price is high as the idv value will not be that high for a 2 year old vehicle.
Old 16th December 2012, 17:56   #1068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...3. SA says standard warranty is for 2 years from date of purchase, but on extended warranty he said he will get back to me since this is a demo vehicle he is also not sure on the extended warranty part.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
You look like got carried away, seeing the compromises made. To be very honest, the quoted portion (above) alone is enough for me to walk away from this deal. And after reading brand new untouched cars getting billed for 7L, your price seems higher to me, for essentially a TD car. Again from what I know, the dealer doesn't have to pay the full amount for a TD car, so the real OTR price doesn't even hold true while bargaining.

I say, you try to walk slow before closing the deal, that might help you extract more benefits. At the very least, get extended warranty - its a MUST!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 19:18   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
I thought you'd close it at 7 with the absolute edition kit, at the least.

This is the worst case, and I hope that issues-wise, "what you see is what you're getting" holds good for you.

You are right, the moment I was told a price of 7.2L, I thought I will pick it up. I don't think the vehicle has been used much with just ~230+ KMs on ODO. TD from my side also is quite good. The relative working in the dealership is actually responsible for the TDs from the showroom and he is sure that this T-Jet isn't gone through much abuse.

1. Get commitment from a higher authority in the dealership that will help you maintain these niggles in the future.

I had to say that while the SA is quite good on assisting me, higher authority wasn't that much helpful. He was not even willing to replace all the oils/filters which will be roughly ~5K, kept on arguing that these replacements are not necessary as the car is not being used much.

2. Is this dealer opening a fiat exclusive sales, service and spares in your city?

This dealer is not from Hyderabad, its in Warangal (140KMs from Hyd)which is my wife's native place. SA himself told not to service in Warnagal and do it in Hyderabad only. No, dealer is not taking up the fiat exclusive sales/service

3. Warranty and extended warranty terms and conditions - I'd expect the dealer to be generous here.

Yet to get reply from SA on this, but I expect it will be 4 yrs from date of sale

4. Insurance was free for most of the times, for the lines and puntos. The quoted insurance price is high as the idv value will not be that high for a 2 year old vehicle.

Yes, 32K will be too high for a 2 yr old vehicle and I think IDV will be ~7 considering general depreciation rules :-).
Thanks carrerastrax, my replies are in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You look like got carried away, seeing the compromises made.

The car has been driven for around 230+ KMs only, but yes, I ignored some of the things while bargaining for example, insurance IDV value, white being non-metallic, etc..

I say, you try to walk slow before closing the deal, that might help you extract more benefits. At the very least, get extended warranty - its a MUST!

Agree with you, the fact that I haven't made the booking amount yet means I still have the option to negotiate/walkout from the deal if I wasn't satisfied with overall offer. I traveled from Hyd to Warangal and back just to do a complete PDI and check with dealership higher authority on price negotiation to 7L and all my requests as given in earlier post accepted, but outcome was not good as only they accepted to change engine oil/oil filter and battery :(.
Thanks swiftnfurious, after all my requests were turned down, I was not too happy on the deal, now at home my wife started a fresh debate on going for petrol (T-Jet) is good or bad compared to going for diesel vehicle.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please do not reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. For the correct way to quote, please see this thread. Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th December 2012 at 06:13.
sriswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 12:11   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..after all my requests were turned down, I was not too happy on the deal, now at home my wife started a fresh debate on going for petrol (T-Jet) is good or bad compared to going for diesel vehicle.
Good that you have decided to move out of this deal.

There are enough reasons to go for a petrol car, even more when the car is the famous Tjet(+). The discount at which the Tjets are being sold makes for a solid reason to have one in your garage. If that is not quite enough, then go through the comments of @KarthikK about his Tjet :

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
My summary - The only car under 20L which offers the low end torque of a Diesel engine and a high revving nature of a petrol engine in 1 package. Combine this with exceptional handling, dynamics and steering feedback and the combination of all 4 disc brakes to give it the stopping power it needs. This is what makes it such a pleasure to drive. On the flip side, the Fiat After sales service is notorious for you-know-what. I have just become mentally prepared for those small niggles and issues, a small price to pay for the huge amount of driving pleasure the T-Jet gives me. After a stressful 8 hours in the office, the drive back home in the T-Jet has become my rejuvenation therapy. There is no need for any other stress-buster!
If you still desire to pickup the Tjet for yourself contact with other dealers to see if the same is available. As @Khoj has already mentioned 2/3 are available with the Kalyan dealer. Explore if the car can be shifted to Hyderabad and registered there.

Otherwise, contact the customer care of Fiat and see whether they can be of any help to you by transfering it to Hyderabad from other dealers.

Last edited by Sommos : 17th December 2012 at 12:13.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:03   #1071
BHPian

Hi,
I was searching for Tjet today by calling the dealers and came to know about a tjet as demo vehicle with one of the dealers in Mumbai. The car has done 2600 kms till now and is probably 2010 make which has been registered in 2011. The dealer quoted 7 lakhs for the same and on the phone i could make out that the same can be negotiated a bit more. Now does it make sense to even consider this car? If yes then at what price? Also if anyone knows at what price dealers have sold their new Tjets from their stock? Does any one has any idea if any dealer is having any stock in Mumbai?
Sorry for so many questions but was just trying to explore all my options.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:18   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Hi,
I was searching for Tjet today by calling the dealers and came to know about a tjet as demo vehicle with one of the dealers in Mumbai. The car has done 2600 kms till now and is probably 2010 make which has been registered in 2011. The dealer quoted 7 lakhs for the same and on the phone i could make out that the same can be negotiated a bit more. Now does it make sense to even consider this car? If yes then at what price? Also if anyone knows at what price dealers have sold their new Tjets from their stock? Does any one has any idea if any dealer is having any stock in Mumbai?
Sorry for so many questions but was just trying to explore all my options.
Firstly, is it a T Jet or a T Jet Plus?

Secondly, don't even consider the deal if its for 7L. I know of a brand new T Jet that was billed for 6.7L OTR, from the factory.

Given that this is a demo vehicle, there are two reasons for you to negotiate:

TD vehicles are bought for much lesser prices from the manufacturer.

They are abused by 'n' number of people.

Go seal the deal for nothing more than 6L OTR, I would do that.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:23   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Firstly, is it a T Jet or a T Jet Plus?

Secondly, don't even consider the deal if its for 7L. I know of a brand new T Jet that was billed for 6.7L OTR, from the factory.
I need to check if it's Tjet or Tjet plus. And this is what exactly needed to know 6.7 lakhs OTR in which city? If this is the case then the demo vehicle shouldn't cost more than 5 or at max 5.25 ( I'm considering 25% depriciation on current price, is it asking for too much? And also one more important thing is that there won't be any warranty left on this car as this will be turning 2 year old in January 2013.

By the way any pointers on any stock with any dealer in Mumbai.

Last edited by saurabhkum : 17th December 2012 at 22:24. Reason: Add more information
Old 17th December 2012, 23:05   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I need to check if it's Tjet or Tjet plus. And this is what exactly needed to know 6.7 lakhs OTR in which city? If this is the case then the demo vehicle shouldn't cost more than 5 or at max 5.25 ( I'm considering 25% depriciation on current price, is it asking for too much? And also one more important thing is that there won't be any warranty left on this car as this will be turning 2 year old in January 2013.

By the way any pointers on any stock with any dealer in Mumbai.
The example I talked about was in Chennai. It was a BNW T Jet of 2010 vintage.

As regards to the warranty, irrespective of the mfg date, the warranty clock starts ticking only after you purchase the car, I would say go ahead with this deal if you could get an extended warranty too. Else better stay away.
Old 17th December 2012, 23:11   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

The example I talked about was in Chennai. It was a BNW T Jet of 2010 vintage.

As regards to the warranty, irrespective of the mfg date, the warranty clock starts ticking only after you purchase the car, I would say go ahead with this deal if you could get an extended warranty too. Else better stay away.
But in this case I'll be buying a demo vehicle , which means I'll be second owner. Also in this case the dealer on phone mentioned no warranty, probably can be checked once I meet him.
Old 18th December 2012, 11:50   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But in this case I'll be buying a demo vehicle , which means I'll be second owner. Also in this case the dealer on phone mentioned no warranty, probably can be checked once I meet him.
Without normal warranty + extended warranty don't think of buying a demo car.

If only you had checked the thread you would have come across this post by @Khoj. PM @Khoj and he would direct you to the proper person at the dealership. Hurry up, and grab one before it is too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In case the dealer does not reciprocate then you could always buy from the dealer in Kalyan who still has 2 or 3 TJet's from 2010 in his stocks.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:08   #1077
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Without normal warranty + extended warranty don't think of buying a demo car.
I agree, instead of spending on a demo/TD car, it's better to go with a single owner pre-owned number. With that, the buyer could be able to transfer the warranty as well. Demo car with no warranty is suicidal indeed.
Old 19th December 2012, 19:32   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Good that you have decided to move out of this deal.

There are enough reasons to go for a petrol car, even more when the car is the famous Tjet(+). The discount at which the Tjets are being sold makes for a solid reason to have one in your garage.
Thanks Sommons, Had a tough time calculating the total ownership cost of T-Jet vs Rapid over a period of 4 years. If resale value is not taken into consideration and if pay the same amount as down payment, Jet seems to be a good option even with monthly running of 2000 KM's with fuel price difference assumed to be Rs 40 between Petrol and Diesel through out the tenure of 4 years:-). How much can I expect the resale value to be for T-JET after 4 years (I do not want to think about it but Wifey does) if Fiat launches T-JET in both Punto and Linea later in 2013/2014 ?

Quote:
As @Khoj has already mentioned 2/3 are available with the Kalyan dealer. Explore if the car can be shifted to Hyderabad and registered there.

Otherwise, contact the customer care of Fiat and see whether they can be of any help to you by transfering it to Hyderabad from other dealers.
Personally not preferring to get from other states because the process may not be easy and also I could not check the vehicle. SA came up (after I hinted that I didn't like the deal) with a new offer for 7.2 L with
- Absolute Edition Kit
- Extended Warranty
- Replace all Oils/Filters whatever I mentioned in earlier post
- New battery.

Also the vehicle will be coming as 1st ownership in my name. SA confirmed that the TD vehicle is not registered and they had used a temporary number by paying monthly charges of around 1000/- to RTA. Checking the RTA website with chassis/engine numbers do confirm the same.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R

Last edited by sriswe : 19th December 2012 at 19:34.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:27   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much can I expect the resale value to be for T-JET after 4 years (I do not want to think about it but Wifey does) if Fiat launches T-JET in both Punto and Linea later in 2013/2014 ?
It is absolutely hypothetical situation and it is hard to predict the resale value of Tjet as on 2016. Normally a die hard Fiat fan would keep his Tjet till he faces some serious issues or a spares problem.

Quote:
Personally not preferring to get from other states because the process may not be easy and also I could not check the vehicle.
The car will be transferred from dealer to dealer in such case and invoiced at Hyderabad. Also you will reserve full right to do a PDI and reject the vehicle in case you are not satisfied.

You do not need to take any hassles. This is for your information in case you still have the urge to own the Jet.
Old 22nd December 2012, 09:49   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Was this colour always available on the T-Jet ? Saw this car outside the Tata Motors plant yesterday (in the parking).

Loved the colour. It really did stand out.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20121221_160348.jpg  

Most Viewed