Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:25   #1111
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Fellow T-jeters, need some advice.

I took my car to Oberoi for a check-up on Sunday. There was a 'thud' noise from the front left. Fortunately, the SA could hear it during road test. It used to happen while going over speed breakers (after completing the climb, i.e. during the descent). They checked and said a link rod was loose and they have tightened it. During the road test that noise didn't resurface. The road test was taken by someone that claimed to be their QA i.e. someone who checks the quality of car/work and is a self-proclaimed genius. He said something that has got me really worried. From the day 1, my car (and I used to believe other T-jets) produces a sweet turbo whine (audible) b/w 1800-2400 RPM. It has always been a music to my ears. As per the QA, the turbo should be silent and produce no whine at all. Turbo whine is audible only when the turbo has gone kaput. I was like I asked him if he was sure as the car accelerates well and does push one back in the seat when turbo is engaged. He said the whine means something is wrong with Turbo. He asked me to get it checked. I took my car and told him that I will come back to get it checked.

Do you guys also hear the sweet turbo whine that I find musical, in your T-jets? If yes, then please suggest an appropriate forum to raise this to Fiat. How on earth can Fiat have QAs testing the car that know nothing about the car.
Old 3rd April 2013, 20:12   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Do you guys also hear the sweet turbo whine that I find musical, in your T-jets? If yes, then please suggest an appropriate forum to raise this to Fiat. How on earth can Fiat have QAs testing the car that know nothing about the car.
Biraj,
I haven't driven a TJet yet but drove many turbo charged cars and many especially petrols do produce slight whistling/whining noise when the turbo runs at full spool. Some cars its less audible while with others its really noticeable.

If you are used to that whine from day 1 and your car accelerates properly then please dont allow the service centre guys to do anything with the turbo, when the turbo fails you get more than one symptom and you will easily now. Dont fiddle around with it as its too complex and why fix it when it aint broken.
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 00:03   #1113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
someone that claimed to be their QA i.e. someone who checks the quality of car/work and is a self-proclaimed genius. He said something that has got me really worried. From the day 1, my car (and I used to believe other T-jets) produces a sweet turbo whine (audible) b/w 1800-2400 RPM. It has always been a music to my ears. As per the QA, the turbo should be silent and produce no whine at all. Turbo whine is audible only when the turbo has gone kaput.
Not true. All turbo petrol cars have some degree of whistle. Of course, the intensity of the whistle / whine varies from car to car. Mine produces very little whistle until 1600-1700rpm and fades away, but I've seen some T-Jets with a pretty loud whistling, yours could just be another like them. Absolutely no need to do anything now!

Quote:
I was like I asked him if he was sure as the car accelerates well and does push one back in the seat when turbo is engaged. He said the whine means something is wrong with Turbo. He asked me to get it checked. I took my car and told him that I will come back to get it checked.
This looks to me like a ploy to make some money out of nothing, from an unsuspecting customer. Ask this "expert" how long do turbos usually last, and how frequently do they need replacement on the T-Jet. If he says any specific number of kilometres like 20k, 40k, etc, we'll soon get to know what "expert" he is.

Quote:
The turbo whistle is absolutely normal. Please don't bother escalating or thinking about this issue further. Don't touch anything in the car, just enjoy it as it is. There is nothing wrong with your turbo. Failed turbos produce other symptoms like
- loss of power, car will feel very sluggish, worse than a NA engine
- thick smoke coming out of the exhaust
- An abnormally loud wailing sound
- engine check light on the dashboard instrument cluster (Fiat has secured turbo failure detection to the MID for T-Jets)

You have none of the above. Just splatter some slush on that SA's face the next time you drive past him, and start planning for your next trip to the Himalayas. There is nothing wrong with Crusoe

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th April 2013 at 00:05.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 00:45   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Biraj,
Dont fiddle around with it as its too complex and why fix it when it aint broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Just splatter some slush on that SA's face the next time you drive past him, and start planning for your next trip to the Himalayas. There is nothing wrong with Crusoe
Thanks coolboy007 and Karthikk, I had no intentions of taking Crusoe for check-up of turbo. I wanted to check with you because, if what the know-it-all QA said was even remotely true then I would have been dead. The only issue currently with Crusoe is the clutch and it's definitely hard. Both Kashyap and Oberoi people say it's fine but I don't think it's fine.

OT: It's Neil's (Crusoe's brother, OB Punto MJD) turn to visit Himalayas as the poor chap hasn't been to anywhere beyond Murthal (for paranthas) till now.
Old 4th April 2013, 01:06   #1115
Senior - BHPian

As already confirmed by fellow members, all turbos including that of the Tjet whistle. So take a deep breath, have a glass of water, relax and from the next time onwards take your car to Kashyap motors [of Volvo & Hyundai fame] @ C-18, Industrial area phase II, Noida. There you can get in touch with Mr. Sharma (ex HIM motors) for all technical queries & jobs and Lalit Gaur [CRM service] to fix up appointment @ 9560060847.

Oberoi's personnel for lack of better words are 'progeny of Owls'

Quote:

I took my car to Oberoi for a check-up on Sunday.

Do you guys also hear the sweet turbo whine that I find musical, in your T-jets? If yes, then please suggest an appropriate forum to raise this to Fiat.

How on earth can Fiat have QAs testing the car that know nothing about the car.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 01:23   #1116
BHPian

Quote:

The road test was taken by someone that claimed to be their QA i.e. someone who checks the quality of car/work and is a self-proclaimed genius. He said something that has got me really worried. From the day 1, my car (and I used to believe other T-jets) produces a sweet turbo whine (audible) b/w 1800-2400 RPM. It has always been a music to my ears. As per the QA, the turbo should be silent and produce no whine at all. Turbo whine is audible only when the turbo has gone kaput. I was like I asked him if he was sure as the car accelerates well and does push one back in the seat when turbo is engaged. He said the whine means something is wrong with Turbo. He asked me to get it checked. I took my car and told him that I will come back to get it checked.
This so-called QA (self-proclaimed genius) is a certified nut-case !

Nothing wrong with your car mate; its normal for all turbo's to have a whine/ whistle.
ecclipse78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 11:43   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Let me put it this way. I wouldnt have bought the Jet if it didn't have that turbo whine.
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 12:12   #1118
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this info. Mods kindly move it or delete if this is in appropriate.

There is a Bronzo Scoro Tjet+ (2011 manufactured) registed in 2012 done about 3000 kms available for sale in Bangalore. Kindly contact Mr Karthik from Prerana Motors at 96866 98062
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 12:31   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Nice find nkrishnap. If it is not a test drive car then it is indeed a rare bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this info. Mods kindly move it or delete if this is in appropriate.

There is a Bronzo Scoro Tjet+ (2011 manufactured) registed in 2012 done about 3000 kms available for sale in Bangalore. Kindly contact Mr Karthik from Prerana Motors at 96866 98062
Old 8th April 2013, 13:28   #1120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Nice find nkrishnap. If it is not a test drive car then it is indeed a rare bird.
This one is not a test drive car for sure. Its a proper registered car, not sure as to why it is put up for sale though.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 14:47   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

This one is not a test drive car for sure. Its a proper registered car, not sure as to why it is put up for sale though.
This car is being sold as the owner does not have enough space to park the car and so he's exchanging this for a hatch.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 15:35   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Park out on the road, park it in a lot and walk to and from the lot even if it is a distance away, someone please talk sense to the owner. He will never have that much fun in any other car for this little money. I drive a Cedia and got a TJet+[A Bronzo Scuro, talk about coincidences] for my parents last year. While both cars have identical power and torque figures it is the TJet+ that I found more fun to drive within the city and around. Of course the lower (of the two) fuel consumption figures also help the cause [12+ vs 10+ for Cedia, 100% AC all city driving] and then there is the boot space with it's non obtrusive shock absorber equipped hinges, great air con, I could go on & on but I will stop here and pass this on to a couple of my friends who were interested after having flown my Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
This car is being sold as the owner does not have enough space to park the car and so he's exchanging this for a hatch.
Old 8th April 2013, 15:44   #1123
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of used T-Jets, here is another one for sale. It looks like a clone of mine minus the spoiler :
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...at/Linea.html/

If a prospective buyer can negotiate well on this, its a cracker of a deal

I loved the words of the seller here, especially the last sentence (quoting from the ad) :
Quote:
This is a fully loaded car which is a rare combination of safety, speed, magnetic suspension, amazing control & traction and mind boggling torque. Impeccable highway, ghat and rough road driving manners. This is a car for enthusiasts who love driving with a passion. This is not your average run of the mill car. But it uses same petrol, lubricant, etc., as a any normal car. And it is servicing cost is negligible. Am getting transferred out of India otherwise would have NEVER EVER SOLD THIS BABY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I could go on & on but I will stop here and pass this on to a couple of my friends who were interested after having flown my Jet.
Wait a minute! I want a second one . @nkrishnap - what is the asking price? Does the seller have any Volkswagen type offer - "buy now, start your EMIs from next year" plan on offer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Strange how some people buy a 4.6m long car in spite of being aware of their parking problems, manage to somehow park the car for a year and then realize such a basic folly a year later, to end up losing heavy money in depreciation.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th April 2013 at 15:54.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 08:29   #1124
Senior - BHPian

My office colleague who owns a T-jet + has been told by Tata Motors (Fortune Cars, Powai) that Fiat cars are not being accepted for servicing wef 1st April 2013. The same was also told to another collegaue of mine regarding the Punto servicing too. I got to know as both these guys have asked me for the directions to the only authorized service centre in whole of Mumbai which happens to be in Thane ( Balaji Autoworld).

Any Fiat owners can confirm this?
Old 12th April 2013, 10:54   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My office colleague who owns a T-jet + has been told by Tata Motors (Fortune Cars, Powai) that Fiat cars are not being accepted for servicing wef 1st April 2013. The same was also told to another collegaue of mine regarding the Punto servicing too. I got to know as both these guys have asked me for the directions to the only authorized service centre in whole of Mumbai which happens to be in Thane ( Balaji Autoworld).

Any Fiat owners can confirm this?
Not a Fiat owner, but yes the news is confirmed.

Excerpt from the Fiat India press release:

Fiat India is now separated from Tata Motors

Although the announcement of Fiat India separating from Tata Motors was communicated approximately a year back, April 1, 2013 marks the official date of the divorce with Tata Motors.

The Italian automaker has established an exclusive network of 51 dealers till date. Fiat plans to double this number by the end of the fiscal year.
Work on 16 more dealership is already underway and they should be open shortly.

Fiat has established its own 24X7 call center and a 60,000 sq.ft. warehouse to store spare parts.

All the existing Fiat owners who purchased their cars from Tata-Fiat dealerships will be contacted via SMS and email on the new dealerships and service centers. There will also be some special service camps for these customers in the coming weeks.

Read more: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/04/f...#ixzz2QDvzqMhZ
http://indianautosblog.com/2013/04/f...a-motors-71213
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks