Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 11:37   #1396
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
When we tested the AC noise the fan speed was at about 3 or 4 bars. When we turned off AC noise went off. When we restarted the AC it was quiet until the compressor started. So it definitely is compressor noise, not fan noise. Moreover compressor sound is quiet easy to identify; from fridge to home AC units.
Quote:
I am sitting on the fence right now. It depends on whether they can supply the car with quieter AC compressor. I will explore this in detail on my visit to their showroom.
No intention to nitpick, but this is perhaps the first time I have heard of AC compressor noise becoming a deal-breaker in a car purchase decision!

I have a strong feeling what you heard was the loud radiator fan noise which comes on/off frequently when you switch on the A/C. What makes you believe this was a general compressor noise present in all T-Jets? Did all Lineas you saw there have loud compressors? If it was an isolated case, the specific car might have had a faulty part (which too I doubt if the demo car was new).

If it was really due to a compressor in this case, the noise reason could be as trivial as a loose bolt vibrating somewhere due to resonance (low metallic clatter), or some abnormal noises can be caused by the service staff filling too much or too less of the refrigerant liquid. How was the A/C performing when this 'compressor noise' was present? Was it cooling as expected?

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th June 2013 at 11:42.
Old 28th June 2013, 12:23   #1397
BHPian

I know that the radiator noise is loud enough in the fiats , almost similar to turbines running under the hood, but 'AC compressor making loud noise' is possibly an isolated issue, I have not felt this issue in my 2011 T-Jet , the AC is as silent as it should be, it becomes loud only when you increase the fan speed to near maximum.
Old 28th June 2013, 14:26   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Good news! So after i got to know about the possible delay in delivery owing to the color i decided to make some noise with Kashyap as well as Fiat. Have now been informed that the delivery will be as per the original schedule despite me wanting Oceanic Blue !

I have also received the chassis number of the car and the sales/billing docket number
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 14:27   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Is this a strong enough reason to reject the Linea Tjet ?
Yes.
Quote:
Man you need to make some compromises to enjoy the thrill of the jet.
Yes, I can shut off the AC in the sweltering Delhi heat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
No intention to nitpick, but this is perhaps the first time I have heard of AC compressor noise becoming a deal-breaker in a car purchase decision!
There is always a first time. You do not have to be so aghast and dramatic.

I have a requirement, this same requirement dictated my choice of home AC, the quietest I could find was Daikin. And let me assure you that this requirement is not a psychological fixation.

My other requirement is a plush ride due to prolapse disc. Between the two:- quite ride and plush ride, I can compromise on the later. That's because it is more in my control: I can slow down on rough patches of road.

Quote:
If it was really due to a compressor in this case, the noise reason could be as trivial as a loose bolt vibrating somewhere due to resonance (low metallic clatter), or some abnormal noises can be caused by the service staff filling too much or too less of the refrigerant liquid.
nkapoor777 in post #1388 and nishantgandhi quoted below shows that it is indeed characteristic of Fiat Linea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The compressor noise is indeed scary (and embarrassing at times). Really resembles the jet propeller.
Old 28th June 2013, 14:27   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The compressor noise is indeed scary (and embarrassing at times). Really resembles the jet propeller. Although I don't think it should be a deal breaker.
I agree with what Karthik says.
The AC compressor in the earlier Tjet and the present MJD are very powerful but quite. I too believe what you heard was the radiator fan.
But still the Tjet cabin is very quite and the radiator fan noise should not be audible from inside with the windows shut.

Well, I saw your post later, so I'm adding on.
If your primary requirement is a Quite AC and not the thrill of driving that the Tjet offers, then according to me it is better to search another car for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Good news! So after i got to know about the possible delay in delivery owing to the color i decided to make some noise with Kashyap as well as Fiat. Have now been informed that the delivery will be as per the original schedule despite me wanting Oceanic Blue !

I have also received the chassis number of the car and the sales/billing docket number
Many Congratulations.

Last edited by Sommos : 28th June 2013 at 14:40.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 14:50   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Thank you , now time to figure out the accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

Many Congratulations.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:13   #1402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

There is always a first time. You do not have to be so aghast and dramatic.
I never intend to make personal statements, sorry if I sounded that way. I am neither aghast nor dramatic (just the smiley looks like that). I was just surprised that this is one of the criteria. Some humour I thought should have been taken in good jest was probably misinterpreted. My apologies in case the statement was seen as offensive!

Quote:
I have a requirement, this same requirement dictated my choice of home AC, the quietest I could find was Daikin. And let me assure you that this requirement is not a psychological fixation.

My other requirement is a plush ride due to prolapse disc. Between the two:- quite ride and plush ride, I can compromise on the later. That's because it is more in my control: I can slow down on rough patches of road.
Good luck with your search for a car with a quieter ride / a/c compressor!

Quote:
nkapoor777 in post #1388 and nishantgandhi quoted below shows that it is indeed characteristic of Fiat Linea.
Like I mentioned before, I don't believe it is the compressor making the noise you guys are talking about, it is the fan. A normal A/C compressor cannot be audible inside the cabin amidst the groan of the engine, road noise, tyre noise and that loud radiator fan in the T-Jet! Anyway, if you still believe it is the compressor which is too loud in Lineas, we can agree to disagree and move on.

All I would say is - please take a look at a few more Lineas at your dealership if possible and make sure the 'compressor noise problem' is not isolated.

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th June 2013 at 15:42.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 18:31   #1403
BHPian

My search is for a quiet car, which means minimal noise. It does not matter where the noise comes: it can be engine, radiator fan, compressor, etc. Either there should be minimal noise or sufficient damping, or both.

For me there is no element of thrill that others associate with the T-Jet. Its my understanding that powerful engines (should also be refined) tend to exert less and generate less engine noise pulling from standstill and pulling across gears. Thats my primary concern, not high speed stability or handling or such other enthusiast's considerations. I do realise that my requirements and considerations are out of place in an automobile enthusiasts' forum.

Its a tough search. My current car is not ideally suited for me but I do not want my next car to be equally unsuitable. So I am not in a hurry.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:47   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
My search is for a quiet car, which means minimal noise. It does not matter where the noise comes: it can be engine, radiator fan, compressor, etc. Either there should be minimal noise or sufficient damping, or both.

For me there is no element of thrill that others associate with the T-Jet. Its my understanding that powerful engines (should also be refined) tend to exert less and generate less engine noise pulling from standstill and pulling across gears. Thats my primary concern, not high speed stability or handling or such other enthusiast's considerations. I do realise that my requirements and considerations are out of place in an automobile enthusiasts' forum.

Its a tough search. My current car is not ideally suited for me but I do not want my next car to be equally unsuitable. So I am not in a hurry.
Hi Guite, I can understand your requirement. For the T-Jet, at least I can tell you that mine is quite silent inside (it is silent enough to hear the turbo whine when the turbo is spooling up!) . Outside, the fan does make a lot of noise, but that is only audible outside. I think you need to search/test drive another piece, but I am not sure if it is possible.

Or else, silent cars, I am sure which one to recommend. A preowned Civic perhaps as they have stopped making them. I hear the EcoSport is also pretty silent; you can try that out. An erect driving posture will be good for your back as well.

Last edited by johy : 28th June 2013 at 18:48.
Old 28th June 2013, 19:15   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, you are surely not a run of the mill FIAT customer.

Let me just point out one thing in favour of the FIAT. You may not think of it as the quietest right now, but I think 3 years and 40,000kms in, it will be so.

BTW, even I think what you are talking about is the fan and not the compressor. And I agree in a car that is otherwise very well insulated, the fan does tend to get pretty noisy.
Old 28th June 2013, 23:49   #1406
Senior - BHPian

So after 3 weeks sinch the relaunch, we have only one BHPian with the confirmed booking. On a forum that is supposed to have many enthusiasts, it is surprising as well as scary. We have numerous ownership threads running for Polo GT-TSI which is also petrol. We had many ownership threads when the earlier T-Jets were being offered on massive discounts (incl me) but not now when price is being reduced. We do have a market full of surprises as people were ready to buy a discontinued model with uncertain A.S.S. but not when everything is back to normal. Maybe its due to the fact that now one can buy it whenever one feels and no fear of stocks getting over.
I can also sense that after the EcoSport toppling incident during TD and after euphoria gets settled, we can see few enthusiasts switching over to T-Jet.

Last edited by carwatcher : 28th June 2013 at 23:53.
Old 29th June 2013, 00:58   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Well to be fair a 200,000 discounts is attractive enough to make a lot of people jump into buying one - despite the ASS and other aspects , for me the price was a big factor as well last year

I am sure we will have a few buyers soon enough , and i hope that the numbers for the T-Jet keep ticking over enough for fiat to not phase this car out again , have to give credit to fiat for bringing her back and i hope they see some results

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
So after 3 weeks sinch the relaunch, we have only one BHPian with the confirmed booking. On a forum that is supposed to have many enthusiasts, it is surprising as well as scary. We have numerous ownership threads running for Polo GT-TSI which is also petrol. We had many ownership threads when the earlier T-Jets were being offered on massive discounts (incl me) but not now when price is being reduced. We do have a market full of surprises as people were ready to buy a discontinued model with uncertain A.S.S. but not when everything is back to normal. Maybe its due to the fact that now one can buy it whenever one feels and no fear of stocks getting over.
I can also sense that after the EcoSport toppling incident during TD and after euphoria gets settled, we can see few enthusiasts switching over to T-Jet.
Old 29th June 2013, 10:46   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I do not own a Tjet but have driven the car often which belongs to a colleague. Based on that I can tell that I've never experienced the AC compressor to be noisy. On the other hand the stock Goodyear tyres make a lot of noise. Also, above a certain speed ( say 90 or 100) the wind noise is audible from inside.

Quote:
• Best part about the drive : On Monday morning, I left from Deolali at 0430 hours. The next 2.5 hours is me alone in the car, and alone on the highway. No disturbances inside the car, no traffic outside. Stopping at a dhaba (Kadak chai + Marlboro) after 90 minutes of high-revving = Priceless. Ah, the simpler pleasures of life. --by GTO.
This is the USP of the Tjet and since these are not your primary requirements, hence I suggested you to go for any other car.
Old 29th June 2013, 12:53   #1409
Senior - BHPian

I guess Guite is not comfortable with the AC BLOWER noise inside the cabin which is definitely on the higher side when its above 5-6 bars on the digital display. But at the same time I have found it louder in all cars if its manual AC the noise is higher if the fan speed is above 2 and in ACC if the fan speed is above 50%.
I sometimes reduce the fan speed manually by pressing the (-) button and it does the job, when the cabin is cooled, I press the 'Auto' knob again and its back to 'full auto' mode with no need for the AC to again try hard to cool the cabin with high fan speed.

Last edited by carwatcher : 29th June 2013 at 13:03.
Old 29th June 2013, 15:23   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I guess Guite is not comfortable with the AC BLOWER noise inside the cabin which is definitely on the higher side when its above 5-6 bars on the digital display. But at the same time I have found it louder in all cars if its manual AC the noise is higher if the fan speed is above 2 and in ACC if the fan speed is above 50%.
I sometimes reduce the fan speed manually by pressing the (-) button and it does the job, when the cabin is cooled, I press the 'Auto' knob again and its back to 'full auto' mode with no need for the AC to again try hard to cool the cabin with high fan speed.
In full auto mode,the blower is noisy in the beginning because it starts at full blast,once the desired temperature is reached it settles down to almost silent levels,and yes,i haven't found a car up to 15L whose blower is as silent at full blast as it is at level 1.

Most Viewed