Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 10:04   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The aluminium head is all new, while the internals are beefed up for the turbo-charger's max boost of 2.2 bar.
2.2 Bar That's like 32 psi ! Is this absolute pressure ?

Quote:
Inter-cooler is missing, and could have added another couple of horses to the engine output.
An intercooler will probably be one of the first mods a T-Jet buyer looking for more power would get.

Great review ! After the VRs, another car that goes as good as it looks then ! Looks like it's going to be very difficult to keep my 'no-FIAT' promise (have had a really bad experience with FIAT in the past)
Old 19th October 2010, 10:21   #47
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the "fun"tastic review. It just makes so much sweet sense to read the driveability and handling of the car - virtues that make it so much of a drivers car. For me nothing else matters.

On the comments on the steering reach, i think the best of the Fiats on this count has to be the Adventure. What a brilliant driving position the steering has. I dont understand why the manufacturers cant get such critical things right. I have observed this on my dad's Linea 1.4 and its a pity that this hasnt been addressed in the Tjet.

Wondering if the stock alloys are also a first in class. I also do hope they start selling some great looking Fiat accessories.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:33   #48
BHPian

Awesome review

Hey GTO,

This is an awesome awesome review; have read it end to end twice already

I know for a fact that most of us wish this car is a success, not just for FIAT but also the enthusiasts in us. And a review like this helps the confused buyer no end.

kudos.

cheers, slicks
Old 19th October 2010, 10:35   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
• If you are an enthusiast – which you most probably are if you are reading my review – let me tell you this : It is IMPOSSIBLE to drive this car with a light foot. The turbo boost is addictive. Don’t fret over the fuel economy, there’s more to life than kpl. Take the wife for a dinner less or something.
Quote:
• Highpoint of the highway drive : There’s a spiritedly driven white Linea with a vernacular VIP number plate. Lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust, so it was most probably a diesel + power box. So there is this stretch where he is really gunning it, and I am safely staying 3 car lengths behind at half-throttle for about 5 – 6 kms. Until there was a long empty straight ahead. I downshifted, floored the throttle and disappeared into the distance. He must be wondering what I had under the hood
Quote:
• Best part about the drive : On Monday morning, I left from Deolali at 0430 hours. The next 2.5 hours is me alone in the car, and alone on the highway. No disturbances inside the car, no traffic outside. Stopping at a dhaba (Kadak chai + Marlboro) after 90 minutes of high-revving = Priceless. Ah, the simpler pleasures of life.

These 3 pointers made my day and I knew you would be penning this review straight from heart. Yes a turbo petrol will pull your heart strings.

In my automobiles, reliability and road-manners(dynamic ability) are fighting for the top step of the podium and this is where things start to get complicated.

Anyways, awesome review and my favorite, wish there were more than 5 stars to be awarded.

Can we have a video? Please.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:47   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
That's very good news. My cousin owns a Linea MJD, the AC is on weaker side
Believe me, the air-conditioner is so beefed up that I rarely needed to go to the lowest temp setting. It's an absolute chiller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
I have read that you drove for more than 300kms!!
Total test duration was a little less than 600 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
The rear seat sqab needs to be pulled out 90 Degrees first, then the back pulled down to release a full and flat space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
One small thing I wanted to point out about the rear seat folding. If I remember correctly, the rear seats fold completely flat? (if you follow the steps in the image below).
Thank you for the correction. I have removed that point & picture from my review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Tata and Maruti? Do they have anything in their lineup to compliment 'performance' of this engine?
SX4 perhaps? Also, in trying to move upmarket, Tata has just launched the Vista with the Linea 89 BHP engine.

Quote:
Being European, I don't expect them to manufacture 'completely trouble-free' cars. And if they decide to achieve that, it will take long time!! Workaround would be 'to learn to fix their own cars efficiently'.
I don't accept failure easily. Sorry, but I completely disagree with you on this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
There is however a substantial price difference. Vento D highline costs 9.23L where as T jet is only 8.55L. There is no point comparing with T jet Plus as neither 16" alloys nor leather seats are available in Vento. Still the level of equipments in linea is more. So isnt difference of 70K reasonable?
Agreed. Thanks for the correction. I have updated the differential figure between the Vento & T-Jet to Rs. 70,000 in my review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
just one thing to confirm here, does the MJD top end get the improvements? like the A/C, other little stuff?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
There were rounds about features like rain sensing wipers, Hill climb assist in the Tjet, have these features made it to the production cars??
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
This is such a fully loaded car, had they released this one an year back, i would have had a much harder time choosing between ANHC and this.
For the 3 years uptil August 2010, the ANHC was a no-brainer for 9 lakh rupees. The Vento & the T-Jet now provide formidable competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
it's these - to borrow a phrase - "smaller yet significant things" that make a review worth it's salt.
Thanks Amartya.

Quote:
Let's look at the statements and There are statements in-between, with comparisons made to rivals but I think this is a point that needs to be hammered home.

A car's rear bench comfort is a factor of many things, with under-thigh support, backrest angle and legroom being the most important (headroom is usually an exterior design constraint).
Correct. But when there isn't room, how are you going to enjoy the backseat? When I sit, my head brushes against the roof. And even with a medium sized gent in the front seat, I cannot fit behind comfortably.

Quote:
Interior fit and finish - They aren't quite there yet, but they've clearly listened to customer feedback.
I'd say it's a step forward. From being a "deal breaker", the fit & finish are now "acceptable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Enjoyed them in Baleno, the only other cars under Rs. 10 that can be fun to drive are Fiesta
The T-Jet owns the Fiesta, 1.6S or otherwise. I found the Fiat to be infinitely more fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I keep the toll receipts, parking tickets, etc., in the arm-rest compartment.
Ah, got it! That's exactly where I keep the "toll slips & cash" in my C220 / Civic. My comment is negated and I'm on my way to remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
I think that hole is to facilitate attachment of a lifting arrangement for the BIW when it goes for coating, painting etc.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
2.2 Bar That's like 32 psi ! Is this absolute pressure ?
Fiat says "up to 2.2 bar".

Quote:
An intercooler will probably be one of the first mods a T-Jet buyer looking for more power would get.
Absolutely. An intercooler, remap, intake & exhaust should easily bring another 25 BHP to the T-Jet.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:49   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Here we go finally with the T-jet Review. Fantastic as always with attention to details. True petrol heads have something to rejoice with the T-jet which has engine not only capable, but also has the chasis to compliment the engine.

Agreed, the misalignment is not accepted whether its 2 lacs or 20 lacs being the cost of the car. The work ethics and professional capability of the shop floor has to be enchanced to achieve better quality of fitments
Old 19th October 2010, 10:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
GTO...

Great report . Was waiting for your report to get a correct understanding of the new beast in the C segment. Truly an amazing car.

- Would suggest to start a new sub-folder and name it as GTO test reports!!!
Agree totally. GTO's reviews have a special place on the forum. Would request mods to create an area exclusively for the meticulous reports of GTO.
@GTO.Thanks for the very detailed Linea TJet review.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:57   #53
BHPian

For an enthusiast, leaving aside the petrol/diesel issue, the two best drivers cars out there at 10 lakh seem to be the T-Jet and the Vento diesel.

Which one would be your choice GTO?
Old 19th October 2010, 11:00   #54
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2010 at 15:09.
ricky_1605 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th October 2010, 11:10   #55
BHPian

Great review GTO as expected. Was really looking forward to this one. definitely my next buy until and unless they come in with a Punto T-Jet and take the party to another level Punto with a T-jet would be an absolute scorcher, not that the Linea isnt.
Old 19th October 2010, 11:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

Finally!

First of all, amazing review GTO. You rock man!

Finally, Fiat has resolved the biggest problem with the Italian beauty...POWER.

When I had test driven Linea FIRE, it was so miserable, that I did not even want to complete the standard test drive route of the dealer. I just took a U turn and went home.

However, this T JET monster seems to be engulfing me in its tentacles. I was desperate to take a test drive of T JET a few days back. Now I am DYING to take a test drive.

All said and done, I am seriously disappointed with the rear seat legroom aspect.
Please please FIAT, your car is longer, wider, higher, longest wheel base, highest ground clearance...basically its more in all in dimensions than all the competitors, but WHY NOT LEGROOM???

I always drive with 4 passengers and legroom becomes most important aspect for me.

Also, the quality of fitment is still not par with the VENTO. With the premium of more than a lac, this issue should have been tackled by FIAT. Probably, they were so excited with the monster of a engine, they forgot to attend to other issues.

But, but, but...I still think that it could just prove to be the turning point for Fiat sales in India.
Biggest USPs of Linea:
1) Exterior Looks
2) Neck-sapping, revv-happy Turbocharged engine

Biggest Let-downs:
1) Fitment quality
2) After Sales Service...still improving
3) Poorest Legroom on the rear seat

I wish all the best to Fiat India and hope they can have a good Diwali this year with the Linea sales crossing the dreaded 1,500 mark...atleast.

I want to sign-off with GTO's best statement in the review...
"There is more to life than kmpl".
Old 19th October 2010, 11:16   #57
BHPian

Brilliant review GTO .

The best thing is your attention to detail! I truly found the review flawless & very balanced, you have highlighted the pros & cons very well.

Many leading automags ought to take tips from this review.

Keep it up!
Old 19th October 2010, 11:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
definitely my next buy until and unless they come in with a Punto T-Jet and take the party to another level Punto with a T-jet would be an absolute scorcher, not that the Linea isnt.
How I wish Fiat does this! This surely will be my next car, should it arrive sooner.
Old 19th October 2010, 11:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

So you've been having a lot of fun over the weekend, huh!!

Great review, as always! Pity they've missed out on some of the basics by way of adequate space for bottles & mugs! The vanity mirror light is a thoughtful touch though......
Quote:
Looking for a petrol driver’s machine under 10 lakh rupees? Your search ends here.
Sigggh.....if only they'd done something about the rear legroom & that sloping roof.
Quote:
• The Linea T-Jet will be participating in upcoming editions of the Raid de Himalaya.
Now that's something to surely eagerly look out for

Quote:
• There will inevitably be some cross-shopping between the Linea T-Jet & Vento Diesel Highline. The latter costs only Rs. 70,000 more, is quicker in a straight line, has a better mid-range, superior driveability (minimal turbo-lag), more interior space, better overall fit & finish, excellent ride & handling and also, cheaper running costs (diesel fuel economy). What the Vento doesn't have is the T-Jet's brilliant steering, outright grip levels, tijori build, equipment level and 6,500 revvs.
Rightly said, at this point the Vento top end Diesel is the one I'm keeping a close watch on......
Quote:
•Highpoint of the highway drive : There’s a spiritedly driven white Linea with a vernacular VIP number plate. Lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust, so it was most probably a diesel + power box. So there is this stretch where he is really gunning it, and I am safely staying 3 car lengths behind at half-throttle for about 5 – 6 kms. Until there was a long empty straight ahead. I downshifted, floored the throttle and disappeared into the distance. He must be wondering what I had under the hood
LOL at the picture painted by you!
Old 19th October 2010, 11:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO. After a long waiting, it happened!

Unique review in all respects. Auto Mags and Auto TV shows should learn a 5 from you. Voted 5 star.

I currently drive my Wifes's BEAT and occasionally FIL's Figo Petrol. My dream car is always a FIAT and almost sold on PUNTO. I am not for sedan (except Cruze,which is out of my budget) and I like hatches. Hope you have more information on following.
Do Fiat ever luanch a Punto Sport based on MJD-VGT?

Do Fiat ever luanch a Punto / Punto Sport based on 1.6 MJD?

Do T-Jet ever get into the hood of Punto?

Is it possible to fit Linea T-Jet's Alloys and Tyres directly to Punto 90 HP with out any alteration. By doing so, will the tyre rub the inner side walls of wheel wells while turning and negotiating bumps? (It is a known fact that many after market 16" alloys can do the job, but Linea T-Jet's OEM Alloys (with FIAT Logo) are something which after market can't match.
Keep going GTO.

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks