Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 12:18   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Points:

• Question : Is Fiat going to license this engine out too (Maruti, Tata etc.) or keep the T-Jet for itself? This engine should inevitably make its way to the Punto.

• Starter protection won't allow a careless crank when the engine is already running.
This might be a bit OT here, but like you said a GTO,is there a probablity of the TJET Punto getting launched in before mid 2011??
Old 19th October 2010, 12:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Great review, GTO! As a Fiat owner, I'm looking for signs that the company is listening to market feedback. The small improvements to the T-jet interiors and the T-jet itself is proof of that. Although I haven't "experienced" Fiat A.S.S yet, I hope they start doing _consistently_ well on that front also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Do Fiat ever luanch a Punto Sport based on MJD-VGT?

Do Fiat ever luanch a Punto / Punto Sport based on 1.6 MJD?

Do T-Jet ever get into the hood of Punto?
Punto Sport based on MJD-VGT is unlikely, because it will probably price itself out of the market. As a special/anniversary edition, maybe, but not otherwise.

Punto Sport based on 1.6MJD is even more unlikely. It means that Punto loses the excise (?) benefits also for falling under 1.5L. That means an even more expensive car. Forget Punto Sport 1.6MJD, even regular Punto with 1.6MJD will not happen unless govt changes the rules.

T-jet under the hood of Punto - I guess in your wish-list, this is the one that has the greatest chance of actually happening (however small it maybe), especially if Linea T-jet is a success.
Old 19th October 2010, 12:34   #63
BHPian

Excellent Review!

GTO, you keep beating your own benchmark every time. We really appreciate the time and effort you put into each of your reviews. These excellent reviews coupled with the first hand ownership experiences provide great information about the car and the maker/dealer.

Fiat should have launched this as their comeback car. I do understand that they were absolutely focused on eliminating the low fuel efficiency car maker image in India. However, they over compensated with underpowered cars and poorly sorted out gear ratios.

A tuning box and an Intercooler should push the power figures to ~140bhp. That is a true successor to the legendary GTX.
Old 19th October 2010, 12:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review GTO. 5 stars added. Thanks for so many pics of the T-Jet.
Another thread added to my collection.

Also, I would like to add a few of my personal thoughts based on my experience with Linea's rear seat.
I'm 6'0" but my legs legs never touched the back of the front seat when the front seat had been adjusted as per my convenience in Linea.

I believe that the legroom at the back is not good even in Skoda Octavia.(I've not yet experienced ANHC and Vento's rear seat).
I've been inside an Octavia only once. My friend is 6'1" and my knees were digging deep in the driver's seat. I can assure that I was very happy to exit out of the car upon reaching our destination.
Maybe, my friend reclined the backrest of the front seat more than normal.

Linea has been a lot better for me with 6'0"-6'0" combo at driver's seat+rear bench as compared to Octavia with 6'1"-6'0" combo.

(Note: I don't know if Octavia, too, is known for cramped rear seat. Ignore my comment in that case.)

Yes, rear headroom is strictly average for sure but I can compromise on it as I like the sedans with Coupe like design (Chevy Cruze etc).

For a car that is longer than Corolla Altis, Jetta, Octavia, ANHC, Vento etc. and having a wheelbase of 2603mm, they could have improved space inside the cabin.
Culprit in Linea's case seems to be that huge dash+coupe like design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I currently drive my Wifes's BEAT and occasionally FIL's Figo Petrol. My dream car is always a FIAT and almost sold on PUNTO. I am not for sedan (except Cruze,which is out of my budget) and I like hatches. Hope you have more information on following.
Do Fiat ever luanch a Punto Sport based on MJD-VGT?

Do Fiat ever luanch a Punto / Punto Sport based on 1.6 MJD?

Do T-Jet ever get into the hood of Punto?

Is it possible to fit Linea T-Jet's Alloys and Tyres directly to Punto 90 HP with out any alteration. By doing so, will the tyre rub the inner side walls of wheel wells while turning and negotiating bumps? (It is a known fact that many after market 16" alloys can do the job, but Linea T-Jet's OEM Alloys (with FIAT Logo) are something which after market can't match.
Keep going GTO.

Cheers!

Vinu
The 90hp Punto has 1.3MJD with a VGT.
By Punto Sport, are you talking about sunroof+smoked lamps+Abarth alloys on the 90hp variant as well?
I think Fiat did the right thing by removing sunroof etc from Punto Sport while launching as the "90hp" variant of Punto 1.3
There is a limit of the price tag on a hatch. That's why even i20 does not have option pack in CRDi variant.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 19th October 2010 at 12:54.
Old 19th October 2010, 12:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations GTO for such detailed review.

Must comment that Sid's review was crisp, to the point & very good (as usual). But, yours is much detailed covering the bumper-to-bumper features of the car... excellent (as usual).

No doubt we are waiting for your review, even though the car need not be on our radar for the time being.

I must say that you had no love lost for the older Lineas (sometimes apparent in your review), yet this car has won your appreciation as a driver's car. I have two questions from my side:

1. I am 5'6" & so is my brother, implying we are a family of shorties. Does the coupe like rear roofline & limited legroom in rear matter to us.

2. What is your rating on the product on a overall basis? Sorry if I may have missed the same in your initial posts (I read it the way I read the morning daily).

Finally, thank you & (thank you Sid) for the hard work, & one request - when you go for review can you please leave the emotions (,& probably the bad memories of the product) behind. I feel that you are being critical, but also emotional at places.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:04   #66
BHPian

My dad was looking to buy a car. We went to the Fiat showroom, unfortunately they informed us T-Jet was unavailable in Chennai. We decided to book the Vento diesel however they told us we were looking at a delivery date after March! So he booked the Honda City white V MT. I would have loved it if he had bought the Linea T-Jet, but it wasn't to be.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:28   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr
just one thing to confirm here, does the MJD top end get the improvements? like the A/C, other little stuff?

Nope.
Why would FIAT not give its existing non t-jet cars a better AC? is it because of the load on the engine?? Can anybody share some thoughts on this?
The AC in all Lineas ought to be as good as in T-jet, as all these cars are above 8lacs OTR and not some cheepo chinese cars!!

Also now that T-jet FE would be 9.3-9.8 kmpl in city, is it now possible to plonk a CNG into T-jet. (A little lower power but better FE)??
Old 19th October 2010, 13:40   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post

Also now that T-jet FE would be 9.3-9.8 kmpl in city, is it now possible to plonk a CNG into T-jet. (A little lower power but better FE)??
Now why would you want to do that?!!

Seriously if one is looking for economy/running costs then perhaps a diesel would be a better option like say Vento Diesel. Unless Fiat gives us the 1.6 MJD
Old 19th October 2010, 14:05   #69
BHPian

Ahh! A FIAT that you buy only for driving pleasure after a long wait.
Excellent review as always GTO.
The Ignition Console photo takes me back to fond memories of my Palio. I wonder what it will take FIAT to improve this in a 9 lakh car .

With the greater power and more technology running the engines, I sincerely hope FIAT get more competent with their Service. Its just not good enough to bring in the latest and have the best spec. if you can't service it.
My experience with Palio Service - TATA FIAT was all right with the routine stuff, but breakdowns and major issues was a whole different story.

With the limited launch, I guess FIAT may also be giving themselves some breathing time apart from testing the market. They need to be in the market with cars that can compete with Honda and VW on the engine and performance front and yet not shoot themselves in the foot (again and again and again) by not being able to service these advanced engines. In Indian conditions, and real world driving, long term engine reliability and servicing costs are surely going to be a factor while considering the T-Jet.

I hope Fiat regain some lost ground; they have always had the products, but its a long climb up hill.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:08   #70
BHPian

Fiat had upgraded the ECU of all existing Lineas to improve AC performance. All 1.4 Lienas got this upgrade and we felt better AC performance. (Basically, the AC cutoff frequency was decreased)

Now I am not sure if this is the "upgrade" that TJet got or a new compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
Why would FIAT not give its existing non t-jet cars a better AC? is it because of the load on the engine?? Can anybody share some thoughts on this?
Old 19th October 2010, 14:23   #71
BHPian

if we google 'linea t jet', GTO's this review is on page 1 of google search!

incedible GTO and incredible Google
Old 19th October 2010, 14:30   #72

Great review GTO! I test drove the T Jet a few days back and was quite shocked when, just after we got home, my wife asked me "Is GTO's review on TBHP out yet?"!

I've test driven the Vento D Highline, City and Linea T Jet over the past month and clearly the T Jet was the most fun to drive, and of course the most feature loaded.

In terms of cabin space, here's what I found:
1. I didn't have to push the front passenger side seat all the way back to sit comfortably (I'm 6'1" tall). Therefore there was sufficient legroom at the back and I could fit in quite comfortably, with decent headroom as well, with the front seat in this position.
2. It was a different story with the driver's seat, which I had to push all the way back, thanks to the "in your face" steering wheel position. With the seat pushed back to the max, the rear was quite cramped. I had to sit a little more upright to fit my legs in found my head brushing against the ceiling. Not a big factor in my list of priorities, since I hardly ever have 4 (or more) people in my car.

Quote:

Also note that wind noise is pathetically high. At a mere 90 kph, the wind noise was substantial enough to make me believe I’d left a window slightly open (nope, all were sealed tight).
Is this specific to the T Jet or is it the same with other variants as well? Any comments from linea owners?
Old 19th October 2010, 14:49   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Highpoint of the highway drive : There’s a spiritedly driven white Linea with a vernacular VIP number plate. Lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust, so it was most probably a diesel + power box. So there is this stretch where he is really gunning it, and I am safely staying 3 car lengths behind at half-throttle for about 5 – 6 kms. Until there was a long empty straight ahead. I downshifted, floored the throttle and disappeared into the distance. He must be wondering what I had under the hood
I do lot of long drive in my Palio 1.2, what I miss is instant pickup and 0-60 timing which really helps saving time when I drive 13-14 hours a day. To acheive the same I had to push my Palio too hard, usually I do 40KMPH in 1st gear, 70KMPH 2nd gear, 100KMPH 3rd gear on my highway drives to save the overall timing. Hope this car is definitly made for me

Thanks for wonderfull review.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:54   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am not sure if this is the "upgrade" that TJet got or a new compressor.
@neotraveller: Yes i read that T-jet has a new rotary compressor + Decreased AC cutoff frequency.

Quote:
Seriously if one is looking for economy/running costs then perhaps a diesel would be a better option like say Vento Diesel. Unless Fiat gives us the 1.6 MJD
@vvmanoj : I'm in love with the features offered in Linea and the way it looks. But FE is a major consideration.
So it has to be either:
T-Jet with CNG (Original question remains.. is this possible??)
MJD Linea ..or...or..or..or (i dont want to say this) Dzire!!
For FE alone if i would have to choose between Linea and Vento, i would go for Dzire!! (Vento is not a VFM package).

Last edited by sunnyside : 19th October 2010 at 14:57.
Old 19th October 2010, 15:12   #75
BHPian

Excellent Review GTO. Rated the thread with 5 stars. Must say that it would be a dream come true upgrade for me if at all I buy this car next year. Since currently I don't think any car would be a good competitor to my Palio GTX Sports under 9 lacks price bucket. Have heard a lot about Polo 1.6 performance. Yet to see more numbers on road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks