Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 22:53   #121
BHPian

Been waiting long for this detailed review. It makes me for the TJet.

What's it with driver's cars and cramped rear seats? Someone mentioned cramped Octavia. All driver's cars, Fiesta, Octavia and now, the TJet, all not good with cabin space, especially at the rear.

How I wish Fiat to put this engine in the Punto, now that's what I would call a true blue pocket rocket. Put leather seats, and every other feature of the TJet Linea available, make it an exclusive driver's edition, put a sunroof maybe, bigger wheels...time to stop drooling. I just wish...

After this long a wait, Fiat launching the TJet exclusively for a few cities...just don't get these harakiri policies.

But welcome TJet!!
Old 20th October 2010, 23:09   #122
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Report GTO

The specs look very good & the biggest downer seems to be the weight.

I just hope they launch this engine in Punto as well, that would then be one desirable hot hatch

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st October 2010 at 02:43.
Old 21st October 2010, 02:10   #123
BHPian

Superb report GTO!

The TJet sounds like a stonker of a car in its segment. I guess all Fiat need to do is turn around their image and the sales will come; easier said than done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I just hope they launch this engine in Punto as well, that would then be one desirable hot hatch
+1 to that.
Old 21st October 2010, 02:29   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
These "flap type" door handles went out of fashion a decade back. Instead, the Linea ought to wear the "pull type" grab handles that are commonplace with modern cars. This is the front LHS door handle sans a keyhole:
In addition to fashion, they have problems with Function too. When it rains and the handle is wet..you pull on it and your fingers will slip inevitably. Happened to me all the time in this old Camry.

Note that there are two types of flappy handles. One flat as a pancake like this one and other contoured one with a little scoop for your fingers to grab. The contoured one is so much better for wet grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
I think that hole is to facilitate attachment of a lifting arrangement for the BIW when it goes for coating, painting etc.
Cant be. That looks like a 6mm thread and no way can it support the BIW. Besides I've seen them pickup from the bottom always.

Last edited by Mpower : 21st October 2010 at 04:41.
Old 21st October 2010, 07:27   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Strange, exposed screw hole placed between the A & B Pillars. What gives? EDIT : Swale84 says That hole is to facilitate attachment of a lifting arrangement for the BIW when it goes for coating, painting etc.
The inside of the nut appears to be coated too. It is possible that it could be to fit a carrier or something like that (bicycle carrier, police flasher cluster, etc.) .
Old 21st October 2010, 10:52   #126
BHPian

I just went through Sid's thread on the new Fabia.
It is interesting to see the striking difference in the quality and finish of the interior between Fabia and Fiat . Fabia eventhough has reduced many features, still maintains top class fit and finish whereas Fiat or for that matter Ford has not been able to do so in Linea/Punto/Figo respectively. Both Fiat and Skoda are European brands and I suppose Fiat has better brand perception than Skoda there. They could have maintained the same here with some attention to detail. Skoda and VW unlike Fiat/Ford has shown cheaper vehicles also can carry quality interior fit and finish.

I hope I am not very much OT here as it is a T jet thread.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:11   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I just went through Sid's thread on the new Fabia.
It is interesting to see the striking difference in the quality and finish of the interior between Fabia and Fiat . Fabia eventhough has reduced many features, still maintains top class fit and finish whereas Fiat or for that matter Ford has not been able to do so in Linea/Punto/Figo respectively. Both Fiat and Skoda are European brands and I suppose Fiat has better brand perception than Skoda there. They could have maintained the same here with some attention to detail. Skoda and VW unlike Fiat/Ford has shown cheaper vehicles also can carry quality interior fit and finish.

I hope I am not very much OT here as it is a T jet thread.

Firstly Great review as always GTO. You seem to have really had a ball. I won't be surprised if the rpm needle on your test car is stuck at around 6000 rpm..!

Talking about fit and finish, i was watching a few road tests of the Abarth Grande Punto by fifth gear, etc on Youtube (which has the this same T-Jet engine IIRC - In a higher state of tune) and the reviewer had nothing nice to say about the plastics. He complained of them being too hard. This doesn't seem to be a India specific problem. I personally feel that the fit and finish issues are more to do with the Tata connection and the same QC practices being followed for both Tata & Fiat cars manufactured at Ranjangaon.

Again OT - Today's TOI has an article about Fiat setting up brand centres in all major cities to give customers a feel of the Fiat brand. These brand centres will however not sell cars. Prospective customers will be forwarded to a Tata-Fiat showroom.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 21st October 2010 at 11:15.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:13   #128
Senior - BHPian

This is a bit OT, so pl excuse me (or direct this to the correct thread). The news is out, Fiat to launch brand stores, without Tatas. However, Fiat India MD, Rajeev Kapoor emphasised that the stores will not mean setting up of an independent retail network by Fiat. “This will remain confined to the joint Tata-Fiat dealerships. But yes, the stores will help in generating sales inquiries and pass them on to the dealerships.” So Fiat is becoming more brand focussed now. You can read the full details over here (Courtesy: ET) --> Fiat to launch brand stores, without Tatas-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times on Mobile
Old 21st October 2010, 12:48   #129
BHPian

what a review!

The review is just as beautiful as the car is.

Is the service interval the same 15k kms?
Old 21st October 2010, 13:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

the turbo lag seems to be quite normal. But something is wrong with the tuning. I think this is running at just 7 psi. Think Fiat might be worried about the fuel quality here. Should hook up a boost gauge and see what boost it is running. If this is the case, strong potential for a remap if the block can hold up to 2.2 bar. I can't imagine NA city smoking this!!
Old 21st October 2010, 13:30   #131
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
1.4 T-Jet has an imported motor. It isn't feasible to do that all MODs in 1.4 NA engine in my opinion.
Completely agreed. If you want a T-Jet, buy the T-Jet. Don't bother modifying the ol' 1.4 89 BHP motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Fantastic Report GTO
Thanks Techno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
That looks like a 6mm thread and no way can it support the BIW. Besides I've seen them pickup from the bottom always.
What on earth is the purpose of that screw hole then? It really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Firstly Great review as always GTO. You seem to have really had a ball. I won't be surprised if the rpm needle on your test car is stuck at around 6000 rpm..
Lets just say I completed the running-in for Fiat . The car is an absolute blast on highways, especially the curvy stretches.

Quote:
Today's TOI has an article about Fiat setting up brand centres in all major cities to give customers a feel of the Fiat brand. These brand centres will however not sell cars. Prospective customers will be forwarded to a Tata-Fiat showroom.
Being discussed here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post
Is the service interval the same 15k kms?
Yes, and something I don't agree with. Turbo-chargers need good oil. T-Jet owners would do well in changing the engine oil at 7,500 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
I think this is running at just 7 psi.
Probably Fiat's concerns over Indian fuel & turbo life? Either ways, imagine what a good remap can do to this car. 50,000 on mods can easily take the T-Jet to 140 BHP.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:42   #132
BHPian

GTO,

My few questions:

1. Better drivers car? - Honda City or Linea 1.4 Turbo?
2. Any side chat with the guys at Fiat on the status of the 1.6 MJD diesel?
3. Is the car going to be rolled out in the southern metros?

Thanks
Old 21st October 2010, 14:58   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

@Acidkill: Going by his replies in the thread, the ANHC is faster in a straight line, but as an overall performance/driver's vehicle the Linea is the best in the segment due to its superior ride/handling combination.
Also, the car should be rolled out in other metro's soon. I guess Fiat is just trying to take it step by step, by launching the Linea in those cities with the revamped dealerships.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:29   #134
BHPian

GTO - In your review, you mention the below:
"In addition to the awkward driving position, the gearshift quality will attract complaints from enthusiasts. The throws are fairly long while the shift quality is rubbery too. It’s not a slick, short unit like the Ventos (that one is atleast 3X better)."

Would you recomend replacing the stock shifter with a 'short-shifter'. Can it be done on the Tjet and will it improve the overall feel of the drive (for the enthusiast)?

Also would it be a lasting solution, would it last, let's say, 6-7 years of ownership?
Old 21st October 2010, 15:30   #135
BHPian

I think quite a less number of enthusiasts will worry about the rear seat crampness. Personally I dont think I'll take anyone more than my wife while going out in the performance car. For anything else there has to be a second car.

Heavy weight(read 5 onboard) can spoil the real fun of Turbochargers.

Also, I would not be surprised if Fiat gets us some special edition T-Jet (similar to S10 campaign).

Still I need to understand the maintenance overhead of Turbo. Can anyone please share their experience?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks