Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:28   #1621
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

My T-Jet Emotion, booked on the 10th, finally made it to the Vecto yard yesterday. Went this morning for PDI.

Overall everything looks fine. Was very disappointed with the thigh portion of the driver's seat. The protective plastic cover was pushed back, and there was dirt on the leather. There was also an inch-long ball-point pen ink mark. The driver's door arm-rest area was also somewhat dirty. I questioned the SA about this, he apologized profusely and said he would get it foam cleaned (whatever that is). I do hope it comes off.

It looks like keeping the car clean inside will be a real challenge. I'm wondering if 3M has some magic stain repellent treatment for the leather, white plastic areas and roof fabric / parcel tray (for lack of a better term) areas.

I didn't know the exact amount, so took my cheque book (my account is in Chennai; just moved here). It's HDFC, payable at par cheque, but these guys insist it'll take 2-3 days to clear, and they'll do the RTO work only after that. He kept saying to plan on picking it up Friday evening, but I don't want to do that when it's dark. Will have to see how this works out.

Now the hunt for replacement tyres. One place I checked with called the distributor in front of me and said the only CPC2 stock was from Sep 2012; too old, IMO. Didn't want Michelin with it's soft side walls. He gave me a choice of Hankook V12 Evo (but said it was hard) and Yoko AVS db V550 (which he pushed saying it was a very good tyre and well supported by Yoko). Plan on checking a couple of other places as well.

There was another Minimal Grey Linea parked behind mine, but it was a MultiJet. There was also a white one, and several Puntos.
TheTeacher is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:57   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
My T-Jet Emotion, booked on the 10th, finally made it to the Vecto yard yesterday. Went this morning for PDI.

Overall everything looks fine. Was very disappointed with the thigh portion of the driver's seat. The protective plastic cover was pushed back, and there was dirt on the leather. There was also an inch-long ball-point pen ink mark. The driver's door arm-rest area was also somewhat dirty. I questioned the SA about this, he apologized profusely and said he would get it foam cleaned (whatever that is). I do hope it comes off.
Congratulation for your jet.
The dirt would be removed by the 3M guy, don't worry.
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:46   #1623
BANNED

Hi guys just a quick question how is the AC in the new Linea tjet.
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:50   #1624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
The air conditioning efficiency has always been exceeding expectations in the T-Jet. Nothing has changed with the 2013 facelift, it remains very good.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:43   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet.fever View Post
Though I went with a 3-page PDI checklist, I am guilty of not checking every single line-item. A/C was one of them.

Driving it was another; the SA demurred because the car does not have insurance in it's present status, and I had to concede that point.

The car obviously had got wet the previous day, so the glasses (window and windshield) were not very clean. Overall I felt some parts of the checklist should be deferred till the actual time of delivery, at which time I would ensure everything was good.

Critical things: June 2013 manufactured. Odo read "H 10"
TheTeacher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:18   #1626
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats buddy. Great buy. Drive safe and enjoy every bit if it.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:33   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
Though I went with a 3-page PDI checklist, I am guilty of not checking every single line-item. A/C was one of them.

Driving it was another; the SA demurred because the car does not have insurance in it's present status, and I had to concede that point.

The car obviously had got wet the previous day, so the glasses (window and windshield) were not very clean. Overall I felt some parts of the checklist should be deferred till the actual time of delivery, at which time I would ensure everything was good.

Congrats on the car Teacher!

Do you have any pics of the car? Would love to see the Jet in Minimal Grey!

When are you getting delivery?

Hope to see a ownership review!
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:39   #1628
BHPian

Thanks nipcarlover.

Didn't take my camera today. Not sure if I will for delivery. Definitely will take some pics after she's mine.

Ownership review probably later. There's enough of them that I'm not sure anything I contribute will be meaningful. A few posts with my observations, perhaps.

Not sure when I'll get her. The Vecto blokes are dithering. When he took the advance money (10th), the SA said I'd have the car in a week - 17th. I asked him about that today; he says Fiat will need enough cars to load a truck before they'll dispatch. Surely this is nothing new, and he would have known that at the time of booking. Typical sales BS.

Friday (26th) looks optimistic. Probably Saturday midday.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:46   #1629
A.B

Quote:
Congratulations.

Quote:
Was very disappointed with the thigh portion of the driver's seat. The protective plastic cover was pushed back, and there was dirt on the leather.
That was the case even in our car. Don't worry too much about it. It is quite easy to clean the leather seats.

Quote:
I didn't know the exact amount, so took my cheque book (my account is in Chennai; just moved here). It's HDFC, payable at par cheque, but these guys insist it'll take 2-3 days to clear, and they'll do the RTO work only after that.
I paid with HDFC cheque and it cleared the next day since dealer's account was also with HDFC. If your dealer's account is not with HDFC then you should be able to pay with draft. You can get the draft made early in the morning and let the dealer know about it so that they can confirm with the bank and then start the RTO work the same day. At least that's what I was told would happen by Toyota and Hyundai dealers in Delhi. Never asked the Fiat dealer about paying with draft.

Quote:
Now the hunt for replacement tyres. One place I checked with called the distributor in front of me and said the only CPC2 stock was from Sep 2012; too old, IMO. Didn't want Michelin with it's soft side walls. He gave me a choice of Hankook V12 Evo (but said it was hard) and Yoko AVS db V550 (which he pushed saying it was a very good tyre and well supported by Yoko). Plan on checking a couple of other places as well.
The Yokohama AVS DB tyres that I got are more than a year old (June 2012 manufactured). They came directly from the manufacturer apparently, since the dealer did not have them in stock. And as I mentioned in puchoo's thread, I had a sidewall puncture the very next day on one of the tyres. I hadn't even driven much after getting the tyres installed. Maybe the tyre was defective. The rest of the tyres (along with the replacement) are fine for now.

Quote:

Even I didn't check everything in the PDI checklist that I took with me. But I did manage to check the A/C which seemed to be working great. Also, they allowed me to drive the car. The SA had to ask his senior for permission though. So, maybe you should ask your SA to do the same. If they are unwilling to let you drive it maybe ask them to drive it while you sit in the passenger seat.
A.B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 22:10   #1630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ownership review probably later. There's enough of them that I'm not sure anything I contribute will be meaningful. A few posts with my observations, perhaps.
Just thought of sharing my 2 cents on this: In addition to penning down your observations/reviews and making it useful for future buyers or prospective buyers, an ownership thread's main purpose will later be as a log or diary for recording anything and everything that is related to your car - services done, costs incurred, modifications done if any, and issues faced / rectified (touchwood! ). The log may not be significant for us as owners, but tons of viewers might find that ownership log useful in their car purchase decision time, when they go through the entire thing from top to bottom. I'd encourage you to go ahead and create a thread when you get your car, as and when time permits. A log is wonderful to have over a long-term ownership period, both for viewers and the owner.

Not to forget, if you ever want to sell the car after some years, you can point that buyer to the thread and ask him to check its entire history. No one will even bother bargaining over price when the records are there for everyone to see .

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd July 2013 at 22:26.
KarthikK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 22:25   #1631

Quote:
Congratulations, TheTeacher.

I booked my Minimal Grey T-Jet Emotion yesterday and I have to wait for 15-20 days. I will keep you guys posted.
Lloyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:11   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
My T-Jet Emotion, booked on the 10th, finally made it to the Vecto yard yesterday.
Congratulations for the jet. Happy mile munching and hope to see an ownership review soon.
Arkesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 12:04   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Overall everything looks fine. Was very disappointed with the thigh portion of the driver's seat. The protective plastic cover was pushed back, and there was dirt on the leather. There was also an inch-long ball-point pen ink mark. The driver's door arm-rest area was also somewhat dirty.

It's HDFC, payable at par cheque, but these guys insist it'll take 2-3 days to clear, and they'll do the RTO work only after that.
Dont worry it will come off , just remember to double check when you take delivery. i also had a little black mark on the seat which came off fairly easily in a few seconds.

As far as the cheque goes thats the way fiat dealers seem to play it , i gave them a DD and they insisted on waiting for it to clear!! But some yelling from me dealt with that issue.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 10:14   #1634
BHPian

In my last post in this thread, i had expressed concern over the quality of plastics in the Tjet. All those concerns went for a toss when i ended up test driving other cars on my list. I went for back to back test drives on the Ecosport, Honda City and the Tjet.
I had looked at the Ecosport once and it looked a nice package. I was impressed with the ergonomics and the gadgetry. The test drive was a short one due to the long waiting list. The ride quality was a bit stiff, but ok. The biggest let down was the steering. It was very light with zero feedback. The rear bench felt a bit claustrophobic. All that aside the deciding factor was the boot-space. Although it had decent boot-space for a sub 4m car, my wife was not impressed. So the ecosport was vetoed out.
Next in list was Honda City. As soon as we entered the showroom my wife started inspecting the amaze. She had always wanted to try it out. So it was the amaze first. We tried the Diesel Amaze. The only thing i liked about the car was that the clutch was super light for a diesel car. The dashboard and the interiors looked too basic. The body felt too flimsy, taking away confidence in the build quality. So we moved on to the Honda City. The moment we were inside the car, we started comparing it with our Old Honda City. The plastics and the interiors of the Old Honda City had aged well and we always liked them very much. Compared to that we felt let down by the new one. The exterior had so much of styling and looked very aggressive. But the interiors were not up to the mark. The ride quality was fine and the engine felt very smooth. But i felt the tires giving away too soon in curves and the steering could have been a little tighter.
Comparison for both these cars were our Old Honda City and two Ford siblings at home ( The Fiesta Classic and the Figo). The two fords have very well weighted steerings and inspired a lot of confidence in curves. That had set the benchmark and both the ecosport and City did not meet the expectation.
Straight after the Honda city test drive it was time for the Tjet. This was going to be the second test drive for the Tjet and wanted a longer one. The car felt very solid and stable. Since the test drive experiences of the other cars were fresh in mind the comparison was much easier. This car felt like a vault and the engine felt really powerful.The steering feedback was awesome. My wife was of the opinion that this was the car with the least amount of cost cutting. So it was all in favor of the Tjet.
The test drive vehicle was an Active variant and we wanted to go for the Emotion. Last week we had a chance to test drive the Emotion variant. We were very happy with it and booked a Hip Hop Black Emotion Tjet.
_raviShankar_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 14:16   #1635
BHPian

Experts Kindly Help. I have recently started facing a problem with my T-jet. The car is pulling to the right inspite of keeping the steering dead straight. I took this problem lightly owing this to wheel alignment but now even after doing perfect allignment twice in the last one week the problem is still there. The tyre pressure was balanced in all the tyres. Moreover it takes a constant effort to keep the steering straight. the steering has a tendency to pull towards right when left unattended while on the move. I am wondering what could be the reason when the wheels are properly balanced and aligned.
Considering that my care has only done only 10K that too in the decent driving conditions, Is it possible that something is wrong with the suspension setup? What could be the other reasons?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks