Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 17:16   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
I ran into same situation. Eventually sold off my Alto for a far better deal on OLX and no hassles of dealing w/ middle-folks. Produced proof of owning a car for exchange and got the bonus.

I face the same thing - it powers back on when i start the car.

I wanted to know the same thing - i just haven't been able to even glance at the manual. I hope there is a pdf version of the manual lurking on the Internet - so i can check it on my phone.

It's time i efforted towards the manual. Have been painfully listening to songs one after other for now. hehe!
It is possible to scroll through the folders.
Access Media player in the MID through the steering controls,and you have the option to scroll through folders and play a track of your choice
Old 25th November 2013, 21:03   #1997
BHPian

The steering in my Tjet feels heavy after being parked for 5 days.Could it be due to low air pressure in tyres?
Also I turned steering fast while parking a tuk sound came anything to worry?
Old 25th November 2013, 21:28   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
The steering in my Tjet feels heavy after being parked for 5 days.Could it be due to low air pressure in tyres?
Also I turned steering fast while parking a tuk sound came anything to worry?
Tuk sound when steering is turned full lock is normal.

Just check your power steering fluid level and tyre pressures to be sure.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 00:17   #1999
BHPian

Any TJet owners here remapped their cars yet? Last I checked, Tune-O-Tronics, Kiirus and Pete's have developed remaps for this. General feedback (especially the bad parts) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 7th December 2013, 19:25   #2000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Any TJet owners here remapped their cars yet? Last I checked, Tune-O-Tronics, Kiirus and Pete's have developed remaps for this. General feedback (especially the bad parts) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
The only bad that I see is the "Warranty" would be void. I am sure the hardware in place in this car would be able to handle the 175 bhp (the actual capacity of this T-jet engine). I also foresee some fall in the fuel efficiency
Old 7th December 2013, 20:06   #2001
Senior - BHPian

True about the warranty part. Almost all of the T Jet's spares are very expensive when compared to it's 1.4 FIRE cousin.

Clutch, brake pads, etc.

And just the T Jet badge on the bootlid costs 2.5K.
Old 9th December 2013, 17:38   #2002
BHPian

Hello fellow BHP-ians. This is my first ever post on this elite forum. I became a member a few months back when I was contemplating buying my new car, here I am posting after having made up my mind to a reasonable extent.

I intend changing my aging Santro in the coming months. I had my eyes set on the Vento TSI. I had visited the dealer in Jammu once about a month back. Despite the high price tag and the DSG issues, I was ready to take the plunge. I visited them again last week and they told me no uncertain terms that they would not be able to deliver me a TSI atleast till mid-2014. RTO issues etc. The SA was also not too pushy about making me change my choice to a TDI or 1.6 N/A.

On my way home from the dealer, I and my wife decided to have a peek at the Fiat dealer. My wife was very disinclined towards Fiat as a brand (as many others have also mentioned on this thread). When I did get her inside, she was awestruck by the Tuscan Wine Linea on display.

The enthusiastic SA had our complete attention within minutes, rattling out the virtues of the T-jet. I am quite technically inclined, and it did not take me much convincing to realize that the T-jet is probably the best petrol head out there. The overall package and add ons are pleasing too. The incredible SA understood that he had a potential customer, and organised a test drive within 10 minutes!!

Half an hour on the highway, and ten minutes on the city roads, and I did not need further coaxing. Though I was inclined towards the AT Vento, an equally good car, with better features/ accessories list at a substantially lower price tag was welcome. Plus the VW dealer did not even try to give me a TD or show any eagerness to woo me towards his brand. All in all, in a matter of one hour, I was hooked on the Linea, a car that I had never given a serious look before.

Now before I take the final step, I solicit some advice from more knowledgeable friends. I am in the Army and get relocated a lot, several time to remote places. Given the thin A.S.S network of Fiat, should I go ahead?

I had read somewhere that it does not make sense to buy a new car in Jan, as the dealer will palm off the previous year manufactured car. Is that true? If the car is registered in 2014, can the manufacture year be found out, and does it make a difference?

There are very few Fiats on the road here in Jammu, and the dealer should be glad to get a customer. He is offering an exchange bonus of Rs 70K, GPS, mats, mud flaps, rear parking sensor as freebies. What else can/ should I bargain from him? Those with more info on Fiat sales, can you please tell whether these offers are limited or likely to stay for a few months?

Last edited by Zappo : 10th December 2013 at 11:58. Reason: Added a missed word...
ganeshnag75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 11:25   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
Hello fellow BHP-ians. This is my first ever post on this elite forum. I became a member a few months back when I was contemplating buying my new car, here I am posting after having made up my mind to a reasonable extent.

I intend changing my aging Santro in the coming months. I had my eyes set on the Vento TSI. I had visited the dealer in Jammu once about a month back. Despite the high price tag and the DSG issues, I was ready to take the plunge. I visited them again last week and they told me no uncertain terms that they would not be able to deliver me a TSI atleast till mid-2014. RTO issues etc. The SA was also not too pushy about making me change my choice to a TDI or 1.6 N/A.

On my way home from the dealer, I and my wife decided to have a peek at the Fiat dealer. My wife was very disinclined towards Fiat as a brand (as many others have also mentioned on this thread). When I did get her inside, she was awestruck by the Tuscan Wine Linea on display.

The enthusiastic SA had our complete attention within minutes, rattling out the virtues of the T-jet. I am quite technically inclined, and it did not take me much convincing to realize that the T-jet is probably the best petrol head out there. The overall package and add ons are pleasing too. The incredible SA understood that he had a potential customer, and organised a test drive within 10 minutes!!

Half an hour on the highway, and ten minutes on the city roads, and I did not need further coaxing. Though I was inclined towards the AT Vento, an equally good car, with better features/ accessories list at a substantially lower price tag was welcome. Plus the VW dealer did not even try to give me a TD or show any eagerness to woo me towards his brand. All in all, in a matter of one hour, I was hooked on the Linea, a car that I had never given a serious look before.

Now before I take the final step, I solicit some advice from more knowledgeable friends. I am in the Army and get relocated a lot, several time to remote places. Given the thin A.S.S network of Fiat, should I go ahead?

I had read somewhere that it does not make sense to buy a new car in Jan, as the dealer will palm off the previous year manufactured car. Is that true? If the car is registered in 2014, can the manufacture year be found out, and does it make a difference?

There are very Fiats on the road here in Jammu, and the dealer should be glad to get a customer. He is offering an exchange bonus of Rs 70K, GPS, mats, mud flaps, rear parking sensor as freebies. What else can/ should I bargain from him? Those with more info on Fiat sales, can you please tell whether these offers are limited or likely to stay for a few months?
Hi @ganeshnag75

Amongst the choices of brands you have narrowed down to, IMO Fiat has more number of dealers, so you could be in a better position regarding A.S.S. with Fiat.

Moreover, with the Vento TSI, VW isn't keen on offering extended warranty on DSG (please also refer Vento/Polo TSI review thread for latest developments on the issue), & VAG group is not known for customer friendliness in India, though things with VW are much better than Skoda, as far as I know.

Then if you compare both the cars, you get better interiors in VW, but you get much better ride & handling + bigger boot in Linea, if you are inclined to buy the petrol variant. But, the diesel in VW is much more powerful in Vento & could be a one sided decision, if you go for the diesel mill.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 11:55   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Then if you compare both the cars, you get better interiors in VW, .
The interiors of Linea is notch better than Vento including the plastics. Vento plastics are decisive which looks soft like that of civic but is very hard to touch and feels cheap. Even the middle hand-rest on vento is unscientifically designed, the elbow hits the handrest while shifting gears if the handrest is hold up. This may look like a very small issue, but can be a big issue in long term ownership.
Speed Pujari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 12:00   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
The interiors of Linea is notch better than Vento including the plastics. Vento plastics are decisive which looks soft like that of civic but is very hard to touch and feels cheap. Even the middle hand-rest on vento is unscientifically designed, the elbow hits the handrest while shifting gears if the handrest is hold up. This may look like a very small issue, but can be a big issue in long term ownership.
Thanks @Speed Pujari, that's straight from the horse's mouth.

However, I believe & have read elsewhere that interiors are better put together in Vento, as compared to Fiat, with ugly panel gaps, etc. But, not sure if Fiat have attended the same, though the pics of refreshed T-Jet confirm that few improvements have been achieved by the Italian company.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:01   #2006
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your decision,
Yes you can go ahead with your eyes closed for a Fiat, as they have just opened their 100th dealership IIRC, they have managed to relaunch the T-Jet after a gap of almost one and half year and putting on decent sales too, they are also going to launch 4-5 models in 2014 as what we get to read, so all in all, nothing much to worry about. They can't afford to generate more negative publicity at this point of time.
Also I would like to mention that as per what we read, Lineas are available at around Rs. 1 Lac discount/exchange bonus, so check with other dealers (in other cities) or search on the web.
For manufacturing date, we have a thread on T-BHP.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post2249667

This is one decision you'll be always glad about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
Hello fellow BHP-ians.

Last edited by carwatcher : 10th December 2013 at 12:11.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:07   #2007
BHPian

Quote:
However, I believe & have read elsewhere that interiors are better put together in Vento, as compared to Fiat, with ugly panel gaps, etc. But, not sure if Fiat have attended the same, though the pics of refreshed T-Jet confirm that few improvements have been achieved by the Italian company.
Bad plastics were issue in Punto and Linea Emotion. T-Jet always came with different plastic which is now replicated in new Emotion as well.

Yeah uneven body panel gaps is still an issue with Fiat which is an international issue, to say it is the Fiat's defect by birth. I checked new Fiats at a showroon in Florence, Italy and even the 500s were not spared with uneven panel gaps.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 10th December 2013 at 12:10.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:26   #2008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, I believe & have read elsewhere that interiors are better put together in Vento, as compared to Fiat, with ugly panel gaps, etc.
I have not found any difference from the old and new Linea T Jet. They are exactly the same in quality of interior appointments.

I can confirm that the over all quality and flush mount of the panels are not in the league of VW. At the same time, I have not had anything fall apart in two years. It is too early to comment but is a good enough indication if the car is holding on well. The appearance of the VW Vento interiors does give you the feeling that its all better in there. At the same time, I can say with confidence that the T Jet interiors are not far off.

As for equipment, the Vento should now be in line with the Linea. I don't care much for auto lights and wipers. The Blue & Me is super awesome. There are flaws in the overall design of the software but not something that makes it impossible to use.

Interior packaging in poor in the Linea. This is a long car with very little room inside. If Honda had the Linea shell to play, they would have made it as big as a foot ball field on the inside. Leg room is poor. However; I find that you sit higher and a lot more comfortable in the Linea.

The T Jet is all about driving pleasure. There is nothing to beat this car. The auto box in the Vento TSI is incredible. It needs to stay reliable.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 18:58   #2009
BHPian

Hi all, the brakes on my T-jet have been making noise for a long time. I got it checked on several occasions and was informed that it's 'normal'. They even charged me once for cleaning it. It used to make noise in the morning or after a wash or after being parked for long, the noise used to subside after a long drive. I also brought to their notice a line that appeared on the disc and was informed that a stone chip or something might have made its way between the disc and the pad, so all's well.

The check number plate light on my car was flashing for the past few days, so I took it to the service center (Oberoi, Noida) on Sunday and asked them to check the brakes too. First, I was charged INR 200 labour fee for replacing bulbs worth INR 60 That part is fine, just that it made me chuckle at the labour cost being thrice that of product. Anyway returning to the brake, they told me that the mark (which I had earlier pointed) is a cut on the disc and it has to be replaced. I brought it to the notice of another SA (the one that listens) and he agreed that it can't be due to my fault as the brake pads have more than 15K kms life left on them. The GM of Oberoi (Mr Gopalan) informed that they would send the pics of disc and pads to Fiat and then inform me about their decision.

I just received a call from Oberoi that Fiat refused to change it under warranty as it is a 'wear and tear' part. Before I could say anything, he continued "but, we managed to get the approval for disc". The disc would be changed under warranty but I will have to shell out ~INR 6,000 for one set of brake-pads. The pads have more than adequate life left in them and there is a mark on the brake pad because of the worn part on disc. While I am mentally prepared to pay for the pads and get them changed, shall I not push Fiat to include the pads as well? My car has done ~24K and the pads clearly shall last for another 10-15K thus, the issue is not with the way I drive rather a fault (perhaps manufacturing) with the disc. The response from SA is that the pads should have worn more than what they have so, they must be hard and should be changed. Here are the pics of disc and the pad. Do you all feel the pad needs to be changed or is the dealer just pushing for a premature change?

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20131208_171208.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20131208_171452.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20131208_171635.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img_20131208_171725.jpg
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 19:27   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Bad plastics were issue in Punto and Linea Emotion. T-Jet always came with different plastic which is now replicated in new Emotion as well.

Yeah uneven body panel gaps is still an issue with Fiat which is an international issue, to say it is the Fiat's defect by birth. I checked new Fiats at a showroon in Florence, Italy and even the 500s were not spared with uneven panel gaps.
Not really. I have hard plastic in our 75HP, soft on our 90HP, and have seen hard ones in a friend's Linea 1.4 as well. My hunch is that it is batch specific.

I do not think that there is an exclusive dashboard for the T-Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
The check number plate light on my car was flashing for the past few days, so I took it to the service center (Oberoi, Noida) on Sunday and asked them to check the brakes too. First, I was charged INR 200 labour fee for replacing bulbs worth INR 60 That part is fine, just that it made me chuckle at the labour cost being thrice that of product.
That seems a bit high, FIAT has defined all labor rates in the DMS system. Whenever you smell a rat, ask them to show the labor charge in the DMS.

Most Viewed