Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 20:59   #2011
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Hi all, the brakes on my T-jet have been making noise for a long time. I got it checked on several occasions and was informed that it's 'normal'. They even charged me once for cleaning it. It used to make noise in the morning or after a wash or after being parked for long, the noise used to subside after a long drive. I also brought to their notice a line that appeared on the disc and was informed that a stone chip or something might have made its way between the disc and the pad, so all's well.
O boy I had exact same issue, followed with same agony with dealership and Fiat and I was given the same reason of wear and tear.
I had this slight judder and told KHT motors guys to check the brakes which religiously they did not do. I was told confidently that the brake is all fine. I went to chennai and in the mid way the juddering became noisy and I knew the disc are gone. KHT did not check the worn out pads which eventually damaged the discs.
I called up Fiat claiming this negligence by KHT but in vain and I had to cough up for the rotors and pads. I was ready to pay for the pads but not the disc, but Fiat could not defend me in this case. Have to live with this fact.
Ended up paying 8k for one disc and a pair of pads. My car has done 35k ams.
EDIT: I got a call from KHT asking for rating on a scale of 10. Leniently I gave 3.
Here is the pic of damaged disc.
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-imag0311.jpg
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-imag0315.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th December 2013 at 02:18. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
Speed Pujari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 21:13   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
The pads have more than adequate life left in them and there is a mark on the brake pad because of the worn part on disc. While I am mentally prepared to pay for the pads and get them changed, shall I not push Fiat to include the pads as well? My car has done ~24K and the pads clearly shall last for another 10-15K thus, the issue is not with the way I drive rather a fault (perhaps manufacturing) with the disc. The response from SA is that the pads should have worn more than what they have so, they must be hard and should be changed. Here are the pics of disc and the pad. Do you all feel the pad needs to be changed or is the dealer just pushing for a premature change?
This is a nasty cut. While it's possible, I find it difficult to imagine how a stone got in there and managed to create so much damage. And if this was reported previously, and the brakes were simply cleaned and returned as "OK", then the service center should also share the responsibility for sweeping the early dust under the mat.

Try writing to Fiat. If you have proof (Entry in the system or the copy of the job card that they give you when you give for service) that the issue was raised previously, please add that too. The brake pads are generally replaced when the rotors are replaced. In your case, the brake pads also have a 'line' on them and they should be replaced. If the rotors are included, then the brake pads should also be included.

I request all Fiat owners to ensure that your complaints are correctly logged into the system. Typically Fiat, my car's steering would judder under braking from day-1. I complained of steering judder in the first service (3 or 5K) and Concorde Motors returned the vehicle after they thought they rectified it. But the issue persisted and when I switched to Vecto, they identified the culprit as the faulty rotors. I was delivered a new car with faulty rotors..! My vehicle crossed 10K mark (warranty limit for rotors) and they refused to replace it in warranty. When I told them that it was an old complaint, they agreed to replace it for free if the complaint was logged in the system, but Concorde logged it as "Steering noise" and warranty was refused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Not really. I have hard plastic in our 75HP, soft on our 90HP, and have seen hard ones in a friend's Linea 1.4 as well. My hunch is that it is batch specific.

I do not think that there is an exclusive dashboard for the T-Jet.
Fiat introduced the "soft touch" materials with the T-Jet and was later carried over to Linea and Punto 90. I visited the showroom pretty recently and if I remember correctly, the 75 hp Punto sold even today has hard plastics. And also the Classic versions of the Linea.

Last edited by carrerastrax : 10th December 2013 at 21:17.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 21:15   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, the brakes on my T-jet have been making noise for a long time. I got it checked on several occasions and was informed that it's 'normal'. They even charged me once for cleaning it. It used to make noise in the morning or after a wash or after being parked for long, the noise used to subside after a long drive. I also brought to their notice a line that appeared on the disc and was informed that a stone chip or something might have made its way between the disc and the pad, so all's well.

The check number plate light on my car was flashing for the past few days, so I took it to the service center (Oberoi, Noida) on Sunday and asked them to check the brakes too. First, I was charged INR 200 labour fee for replacing bulbs worth INR 60 That part is fine, just that it made me chuckle at the labour cost being thrice that of product. Anyway returning to the brake, they told me that the mark (which I had earlier pointed) is a cut on the disc and it has to be replaced. I brought it to the notice of another SA (the one that listens) and he agreed that it can't be due to my fault as the brake pads have more than 15K kms life left on them. The GM of Oberoi (Mr Gopalan) informed that they would send the pics of disc and pads to Fiat and then inform me about their decision.

I just received a call from Oberoi that Fiat refused to change it under warranty as it is a 'wear and tear' part. Before I could say anything, he continued "but, we managed to get the approval for disc". The disc would be changed under warranty but I will have to shell out ~INR 6,000 for one set of brake-pads. The pads have more than adequate life left in them and there is a mark on the brake pad because of the worn part on disc. While I am mentally prepared to pay for the pads and get them changed, shall I not push Fiat to include the pads as well? My car has done ~24K and the pads clearly shall last for another 10-15K thus, the issue is not with the way I drive rather a fault (perhaps manufacturing) with the disc. The response from SA is that the pads should have worn more than what they have so, they must be hard and should be changed. Here are the pics of disc and the pad. Do you all feel the pad needs to be changed or is the dealer just pushing for a premature change?

Attachment 1176894

Attachment 1176895

Attachment 1176896

Attachment 1176897
Im not a FIAT owner but had some similar warranty refusal issues with the suspension in my Wagon-R. After a lot of interrogation and talks, I got all the work done free of cost. Therefore, all I can say is, never fall for any of their words, however convincing they sound! If your brake pads have life left in them, there's no need to change it now! But seeing your pics, the pads too seem to be damaged i guess. But i feel FIAT should be bearing the costs as the damage was caused due to a faulty disk(which is definitely not a "wear and tear" issue) or due to the negligence during the earlier services and not because of your usage. If you ask me, I would say that by no means should you oblige to pay!

Last edited by freakmuzik : 10th December 2013 at 21:20. Reason: Did not see the attached photos
freakmuzik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 14:23   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
KHT did not check the worn out pads which eventually damaged the discs.
Ended up paying 8k for one disc and a pair of pads. My car has done 35k ams.
This is the challenge. We take our cars to the FASS in the anticipation that they would do their job correctly. I can understand Fiat refusing the warranty if you were informed about the worn-out part and you refused to change. However, in this case KHT seems to have missed one of their tasks and made you pay for it. In my case, they can't even put the blame on me for running the car with worn-out pads. Still, I have been asked to shell-out 6K. Another surprising part is that you were charged 8K for disc+pads and they are quoting 6K only for the pads.

Based on a discussion with someone in the dealership, I understand that most Fiat dealers are operating at a negative EBIDTA. Can this be reason for avoiding general check-up and ensure part-failure? They also tend to push for replacement of parts prematurely as irrespective of whether it's under-warranty or paid, the dealer makes money on every part that's changed.

Quote:
EDIT: I got a call from KHT asking for rating on a scale of 10. Leniently I gave 3.
This happened to me as well during the second service. The SA was absolutely worthless and he had the audacity to call and ask for a rating of 10. I told him that I would have given it if he would have deserved even a 7. I gave 2 to him and he now avoids my car like the plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Try writing to Fiat. If you have proof (Entry in the system or the copy of the job card that they give you when you give for service) that the issue was raised previously, please add that too.
I remember raising this on at least 5 occasions. Now, most of these were running-repairs and once they didn't even open the job-card. It must definitely be mentioned in the job-card for second service as I have it mentioned in the invoice.

The last point was for the paid clean-up of brake. They told me that the brake has dust and needs to be cleaned. This cut was a faint line at that point.

Quote:
I request all Fiat owners to ensure that your complaints are correctly logged into the system.
I am not sure if they would let us access their system thus, I have decided to scan and save all job-cards from hereon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
But seeing your pics, the pads too seem to be damaged i guess. But i feel FIAT should be bearing the costs as the damage was caused due to a faulty disk(which is definitely not a "wear and tear" issue) or due to the negligence during the earlier services and not because of your usage. If you ask me, I would say that by no means should you oblige to pay!
Thanks freakmuzik, I will take it up with the dealership on Saturday and if it doesn't work, then I will take it up directly with Fiat.
Old 11th December 2013, 15:09   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
However, in this case KHT seems to have missed one of their tasks and made you pay for it. In my case, they can't even put the blame on me for running the car with worn-out pads. Still, I have been asked to shell-out 6K. Another surprising part is that you were charged 8K for disc+pads and they are quoting 6K only for the pads.
One set of pads cost 5k odd and one disc cost 2k odd that makes 8k in total. They did not charge me for labor as a 'GOODWILL GESTURE' . Anyways my car is due service this weekend and I have taken appointment with Vecto this time. Crossed my fingers.

Quote:
Based on a discussion with someone in the dealership, I understand that most Fiat dealers are operating at a negative EBIDTA. Can this be reason for avoiding general check-up and ensure part-failure? They also tend to push for replacement of parts prematurely as irrespective of whether it's under-warranty or paid, the dealer makes money on every part that's changed.
There is a highly likely chance for this. I had this strut noise since day-1 which KHT was not ready to accept that there is a fault.
During the third service i.e. when 2 years gets over I was told that the strut needs a replacement. An old complaint which cropped up out of nowhere. Ironically little they knew that my car was covered under extended warranty. Again it was not a seamless claim but somehow I got it covered with some ho-halla and complaining it with Fiat as a process oriented protocol.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 11th December 2013 at 15:10.
Old 11th December 2013, 15:56   #2016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyway returning to the brake, they told me that the mark (which I had earlier pointed) is a cut on the disc and it has to be replaced. I brought it to the notice of another SA (the one that listens) and he agreed that it can't be due to my fault as the brake pads have more than 15K kms life left on them. The GM of Oberoi (Mr Gopalan) informed that they would send the pics of disc and pads to Fiat and then inform me about their decision.

I just received a call from Oberoi that Fiat refused to change it under warranty as it is a 'wear and tear' part. Before I could say anything, he continued "but, we managed to get the approval for disc". The disc would be changed under warranty but I will have to shell out ~INR 6,000 for one set of brake-pads. The pads have more than adequate life left in them and there is a mark on the brake pad because of the worn part on disc. While I am mentally prepared to pay for the pads and get them changed, shall I not push Fiat to include the pads as well? My car has done ~24K and the pads clearly shall last for another 10-15K thus, the issue is not with the way I drive rather a fault (perhaps manufacturing) with the disc. The response from SA is that the pads should have worn more than what they have so, they must be hard and should be changed. Here are the pics of disc and the pad. Do you all feel the pad needs to be changed or is the dealer just pushing for a premature change?
Biraj, I believe the limit for brake pads being changed under warranty is 10k kms on the odometer. I faced some shuddering issue on the Punto under light braking and finally it was traced down to faulty brake pads. The complete disc and pad set was replaced for me and touchwood, I have had no issues after that.

As far as I know, the SA is right - brake pads are classified as wear and tear parts and warranty can only be applied if an issue is found during the first 10k kms of usage. For any pad replacement after that, the customer has to pay. In my case, I was lucky to report (and get the Punto's brake pad issue rectified) at 9xxx km. I think you could let it go this time since you had already clocked 24k km on this current set of pads. Just get the new set of pads and discs and enjoy the braking.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th December 2013 at 16:05.
Old 11th December 2013, 16:24   #2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
Hello fellow BHP-ians...

On my way home from the dealer, I and my wife decided to have a peek at the Fiat dealer. My wife was very disinclined towards Fiat as a brand (as many others have also mentioned on this thread). When I did get her inside, she was awestruck by the Tuscan Wine Linea on display...

There are very few Fiats on the road here in Jammu, and the dealer should be glad to get a customer. He is offering an exchange bonus of Rs 70K, GPS, mats, mud flaps, rear parking sensor as freebies. What else can/ should I bargain from him? Those with more info on Fiat sales, can you please tell whether these offers are limited or likely to stay for a few months?
Get the 75bhp one if you're a sedate driver. Wrt 90bhp, IMO thats useful only if you're a paced driver.

Quote:
...First, I was charged INR 200 labour fee for replacing bulbs worth INR 60 That part is fine, just that it made me chuckle at the labour cost being thrice that of product. ...
200!? Weird, AFAIK no Labour charges apply. When I got the rear cabin light bulb changed for my Linea, I wasn't charged any labour for changing it. Infact the guy showed me how to easily change it and such bulbs would be available at spares outlets, incase the need arises.

Please ask them to check the DMS next time you feel doubtful.
Old 11th December 2013, 17:26   #2018
BHPian

Quite a bit of a coincidence here.
I just came back from getting my TJet repaired yesterday. I was getting a squeaking noise coming from the front suspension since we returned from our trip down to the Konkan in August this year. Initially it was barely discernible but of late had gotten really loud. At the service centre I was told that the front link rod would need to be replaced alongwith the right lower arm. However, when they were inspecting the underbody the service adviser pointed out that all the four discs were worn out and most of the pads (especially the front ones) were near the end of their life.

I asked for a quote and was quoted about 32k (all inclusive) for replacing the entire set of pads+discs+suspension work. ++sucker punch to the gut++

Quickly checked 99rpm just to be sure as it is by far the most I have ever spent in one servicing / repair on the car till date.

My TJet is still all stock and has done 32,000kms and will be completing 3 years this December. So as a B'day Gift went ahead and got the repairs / maintenance done. All suspension noise is now gone and the car does feel smoother to drive though frankly I don't feel much perceptible change in the braking!! The final bill came to Rs. 31,118/-.

Last edited by PGNarain : 11th December 2013 at 17:27.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 21:25   #2019
BHPian

Hey Guys, Took delivery of my Jet yesterday. Today noticed a screechy noise when braking. Would this be due to it being a new car and will it settle down or should I get it checked at FASS.

Attaching a pic of the car just before I took delivery of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-jet.jpg  

Scorpioman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 23:44   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpioman View Post
Hey Guys, Took delivery of my Jet yesterday. Today noticed a screechy noise when braking. Would this be due to it being a new car and will it settle down or should I get it checked at FASS.

Attaching a pic of the car just before I took delivery of it.
Congrats

The brake noise can be due to brake dust + rust build up while the car was in dealer's yard. It can also be due to water seeping in during a wash. Just check if the noise subsides after a long drive. If it doesn't then get it checked from FASS.

OT: Did you get your car detailed? Not sure if it is a reflection of something else but there seems to be holograms on the paint. It can happen if an inexperienced detailer (rather rubbing polishing guy) used a rotary buffer on the paint.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 01:28   #2021
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats

The brake noise can be due to brake dust + rust build up while the car was in dealer's yard. It can also be due to water seeping in during a wash. Just check if the noise subsides after a long drive. If it doesn't then get it checked from FASS.

OT: Did you get your car detailed? Not sure if it is a reflection of something else but there seems to be holograms on the paint. It can happen if an inexperienced detailer (rather rubbing polishing guy) used a rotary buffer on the paint.
Thanks Biraj. Yes, it could be water as the car was washed before delivery. Will wait for a few days and check if it stops.

The car will be detailed at 3M tomorrow. It was polished at the showroom before delivery but a very bad job done. I noticed the marks at the showroom but did not say anything to them as it was also covered with dust and I did not want them to just wipe it with any cloth.
Old 18th December 2013, 21:29   #2022
BHPian

Screeching brakes seem to plague T-Jets. Mine has been doing it from day one. Cleaning the discs/pads makes it go away for a couple of days then it's back. It bothers me greatly (always seems to be front right that's noisy), but am putting up with it.
Old 20th December 2013, 10:44   #2023
BHPian

There has been a lot of talk about the TJet's poor mileage. However, I am pleasantly surprised that my car has by comparison always returned much better figures. Till recently I was commuting daily to office by my car and even in stop and go traffic I have been getting 11-12.5kmpl !!

In a previous post in this thread I had posted a picture of my MID showing about 16kmpl on the highway. So, on a recent trip to Pune I decided to extract the best possible mileage from the Tjet+. I filled up at the Shell Petroleum Fuel Pump (as I usually do) on the Mum-Pune Bypass just after Wakad. Wifey had dozed off, so could'not afford switching off the ACC but switched off the Music and began cruising at about 80-90 all the way to Panvel.

My God.... it was excruciating, trying to maintain speeds of below 100kmhr .... but the end result made up for it as you can see!!

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img2013111700015.jpg

I took this pic just after we exited the highway at the Kamothe signal. I had topped up the tank at Pune By-Pass and if you see the fuel needle is hovering just below the full mark!! Total distance over which mileage was measured was about 110kms.
PGNarain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:56   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

My God.... it was excruciating, trying to maintain speeds of below 100kmhr .... but the end result made up for it as you can see!!
Totally "Jet-tang" PGNarain. AWESOME !!!

I totally understand the feeling of "Containing the Jet" but if one gets that by doing it, then once a while, It's worth the effort.

Keep revving....as far as possible!!
Old 20th December 2013, 12:16   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
There has been a lot of talk about the TJet's poor mileage. However, I am pleasantly surprised that my car has by comparison always returned much better figures. Till recently I was commuting daily to office by my car and even in stop and go traffic I have been getting 11-12.5kmpl !!

In a previous post in this thread I had posted a picture of my MID showing about 16kmpl on the highway. So, on a recent trip to Pune I decided to extract the best possible mileage from the Tjet+. I filled up at the Shell Petroleum Fuel Pump (as I usually do) on the Mum-Pune Bypass just after Wakad. Wifey had dozed off, so could'not afford switching off the ACC but switched off the Music and began cruising at about 80-90 all the way to Panvel.

Attachment 1180696

I took this pic just after we exited the highway at the Kamothe signal. I had topped up the tank at Pune By-Pass and if you see the fuel needle is hovering just below the full mark!! Total distance over which mileage was measured was about 110kms.
Hey Narain
Even I was able to manage to get 17.2 kmpl from my T-jet over a stretch of 550 km from Noida to Pathankot, crossing a number of cities (big and small ones) , and maintaining 90-100 kmph on the highway. T-jet offers the best in safety with heavy body shell, huge tyres and still has the bells and whistles of high mileage counterparts in the market. I must say I am and have been highly satisfied with the performance and mileage of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks