Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 19:19   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Congratulations on your new ride. Look forward to the snaps.

Coming to the accessories, the illuminated TJet sill plates look great. Do ensure that the installer follows the circuit diagram included in the box to the T and uses the 'tap connectors'(also included) to power them up rather than splicing the wires.

Couple of other accessories that can be looked at are
1. The 'Absolute' series mud flaps. Wait for these if you have to, as the other ones are poorly designed and the install screws will show.
2. Boot mat 'Linea' this is a very nice quality mat and basically keeps the OE carpet clean, has velcro strips to keep it affixed as also to easily take it out for cleaning etc.
3. Linea car cover "Tyvek" Consider this in case the car will be parked under trees etc. Though pricey is much better than the other covers especially the 'silver' ones.
4. OE Fiat car freshener(perfume) priced at approx 300/- these are available at Kashyap itself and are far better than anything else available in the market.

Some accessories that should come included, double check for the same
1. Carpet mats with the TJet logo &
2. Remote for the OE head unit

Coming to the 3M paint protection and the anti rust treatment.

3M paint 'sealant' treatment is recommended but I would advise that you get it done at a 3M centre rather than at the dealership.

As for the Anti rust treatment. personally I find it hogwash. All vehicles being manufactured undergo comprehensive rust protection treatment which renders the need for any after market treatment unnecessary. This is my personal take, however "have money will blow" syndrome is pretty contagious and keeps the after market guys more than happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell4leather View Post
Did a detailed PDI: VIN indicated that make is January 2014; odo read H 16.

Accessory planned: T-Jet illuminated door sills (look really cool in the dark!)

Upgrade to better speakers - with existing HU; & install a rear-view camera.

Do I need to go for 3M paint protection & anti-rust treatment? Please advise.
Old 26th September 2014, 21:56   #2402
BHPian

Posting it here again for a broader audience-
Gentlemen I need an urgent help here. Yesterday while driving suddenly my T-Jet's gear shifting became stiff while shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. I suspect it is due to gear cable adjustment or it may need replacement.

The car has no juddering or any another clutch related issue. The gear engages properly, only thing is it is stiff.

Gave my car to Vecto to get it checked and as expected I was told that the clutch assembly needs replacement. This did not surprise me since I was also checking the integrity of these guys. When I asked them the symptoms, I was told that the car has done 40k so that is the interval when the assembly needs replacement.

I told them that only the gear cable may need a service, but they said gear cable is a whole assembly which also include clutch plates and cable lol ! .. Est cost 35k including labor.

So now the question is, where do I get this simple thing adjusted. Even if I need the part I think 99rpm can help.
http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/gear-lever-control-linea.html

Need help on what to do?
Old 27th September 2014, 09:27   #2403
BHPian

Hi

A mechanical "labour" issue like this can be fixed by any independent third party garage - say a carnation or any friendly neighbourhood mechanic.

I would'nt worry about not taking it to an authorized mechanic.
Old 27th September 2014, 13:29   #2404
Senior - BHPian

[quote=hell4leather;3533412]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

I went ahead with the booking, thanks for helping me decide.

Will soon attach some pics of the beauty! Must say the car specially in Oceanic Blue looks awesome.
Quote:

Some accessories that should come included, double check for the same
1. Carpet mats with the TJet logo &
2. Remote for the OE head unit
Many congratulations on the car and look forward to seeing the pictures as well!

The T-Jet mats look good and if they have not come with the car you can buy them off 99RPM - i just got standard linea mats as well and that is what i did , but one word of advise that they will start to go in about a years time. For me since i drive the car the heel area has started to go - the rest are all fine since they are hardly used. I am now planning to go in for 3D ones soon , i give the T-Jet mat another 2 months before i have a complete hole.

I got my remote with the car , one of the lucky ones to get it with the car rather than have to run behind them to provide it. So do check on that , but if you are going to be driver for most of the time you will hardly use it , the steering controls are sufficient.
Old 28th September 2014, 21:33   #2405
Senior - BHPian

So it was Jet+'s third service and what an appetite the flying machine had built up in two years and it gorged and gorged till it could no more.

Not that I mind and it certainly helped that this weekend FIAT sponsored a service camp wherein discounts of 10 & 20% were offered on all Parts/Consumables & labour respectively. Took advantage of the same and ordered an extra remote key & bought Fiat's car freshener for my rides.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img2014092700898.jpg

That there is 3 litres of engine oil, 6 litres of coolant, a litre each of brake fluid and Steering fluid and 2 litres of Gear box fluid.

Some quirks
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img2014092700901.jpg
The brake fluid is DOT4 specced, I think the latest is DOT5

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img2014092700902.jpg
Automatic Transmission Fluid !! that's because this fluid actually doubles up as Hydraulic Steering fluid. I was zapped too until I turned the can around and read the description.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img2014092700903.jpg
One of the last jobs ReTorquing all of the chassis sub assemblies and suspension bolts.

While the Jet was being pampered, outside the World went on about it's own business including pushing the competition
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-img2014092700907.jpg
Grainy snap through the dirty second floor window pane of the service centre but then no prizes for guessing it's the peoples car from Italy's northern neighbour, maybe that's why there are so many people affixed to it

The trick to maintaining carpet mats is to use good quality plastic ones on top. I have a set that was given along the Type1 OHC that I bought in 1998. The set saw service in the Honda for 10 years and then in the Cedia for two and now ]carries on in the TJet+. Made in Japan does stand for something then. Similarly in my Swift I have a set of very high quality original Nissan Micra plastic mats. Bought these from the local Nissan Dealer when they opened shop and the mats meant for the Micra were imported from where else but good old Nippon. Infact the exhaust tip on the swift is also from the Micra's accessory bin. For the Cedia bought a set of very beautiful "industrial floor finish" mats right here on TBHP classifieds and sitting on top of the original Mitsubishi carpet mats they do the trick. Invest in a top mat and have the best of both Worlds. The plush feel of carpet underneath and the durability of the topper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I got my remote with the car , one of the lucky ones to get it with the car rather than have to run behind them to provide it. So do check on that , but if you are going to be driver for most of the time you will hardly use it , the steering controls are sufficient.
I remembered the bit posted regarding the remote and spoke to the dealer. He immediately had one brought from stores and offered it to me FOC. However, it just did not work with my car's HU made by Delphi, so I returned the same.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 19:45   #2406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Yesterday while driving suddenly my T-Jet's gear shifting became stiff while shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. I suspect it is due to gear cable adjustment or it may need replacement.

The car has no juddering or any another clutch related issue. The gear engages properly, only thing is it is stiff.

Gave my car to Vecto to get it checked and as expected I was told that the clutch assembly needs replacement. This did not surprise me since I was also checking the integrity of these guys. When I asked them the symptoms, I was told that the car has done 40k so that is the interval when the assembly needs replacement.
I have a Punto MJD that's done 70k and I'm facing a hardness during shifting. Vecto advised me to change the gear cable and clutch but I didn't agree. The SA was not very keen when I asked him to lubricate the cable. He wasn't convincing in his replies when I asked him questions. I'm sure my clutch and cable is fine - there's no judder.

As per TFI gear cable lubrication costs 800/- . An outside garage should also do it at cheaper rates. This certainly makes sense before replacing any parts. Why should a cable require replacement in 40k or even 70 k ?

Do keep us updated as to how it goes.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 3rd October 2014 at 19:52.
Old 6th October 2014, 09:20   #2407
BHPian

It has been 4 months with the new Linea Tjet and everything that has been said about it is so true....I have driven 8000 km already.
Last weekend we made a trip to Kodaikanal and I wanted to give an update on the same before anything slipped my mind.

Fuel Consumption:
Highways: 15 kmpl
Uphill: 13 kmpl
Downhill: 19 kmpl
This really surprised me, however it is so true that if you drive the Tjet without too many gear changes...and if you are in the right gear..the car does not consume much fuel.

There was one problem I encountered on the hills though..one day we encountered bumper to bumper traffic while driving through the hills for about 3 hours. This was hard on the brakes and the usual smell of overheated brakes emanated from the car. I gave the car some rest on the side of the road before proceeding. Is this something to be worried about?

Drive back to Bangalore was fine and without any issues at all.
Old 9th October 2014, 00:39   #2408
BHPian

I know two people very close to me, both my colleagues and well wishers, who own the pre-facelift linea. I somehow agree with them that the 2013 model had a better face....overall layout wise. Somehow the new face resembles the older verna. However, the top brass at Fiat need to realise that you cannot sell cars to people, however rock solid built and technological milestone it might be without providing after sales service. The only service centre in Kolkata, ie Garodia has recently closed down as I was told by a neighbour who is a Fiat owner. Hence, i moved on to the new City. Fiat cannot leave people to fend for themselves after selling the car. I hope Fiat top brass realises this and does something to their service chain before its too late. I somehow repent not buying the Linea but its better to listen to your head at times.....and I've driven tanks.
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 02:43   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I have a Punto MJD that's done 70k and I'm facing a hardness during shifting. Vecto advised me to change the gear cable and clutch but I didn't agree. The SA was not very keen when I asked him to lubricate the cable. He wasn't convincing in his replies when I asked him questions. I'm sure my clutch and cable is fine - there's no judder.

As per TFI gear cable lubrication costs 800/- . An outside garage should also do it at cheaper rates. This certainly makes sense before replacing any parts. Why should a cable require replacement in 40k or even 70 k ?

Do keep us updated as to how it goes.
So the car is doing absolutely fine fine after the water dried up from clutches. Apparently the SA was trying to make big bucks quickly. I complained this to Fiat and got a call from Manager from Vecto as well. He was explaining me that as per schedule the clutch should be replaced after 25k kms ..

All I could say is a good bye to Fiat A.S.S and look out for 1.After market service or 2. Pack and sell the car, buy a cheapo-dipo tin-can and rely on self-driven carzonrent/zoom for long drives

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 9th October 2014 at 02:45.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 12:28   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anugrahlall View Post
Fuel Consumption:
Highways: 15 kmpl
Uphill: 13 kmpl
Downhill: 19 kmpl
This really surprised me, however it is so true that if you drive the Tjet without too many gear changes...and if you are in the right gear..the car does not consume much fuel.
Outstanding mileage! What speeds, what gear and rpm please?
Old 10th October 2014, 13:44   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Outstanding mileage! What speeds, what gear and rpm please?
Highways:
Mostly 5th gear....RPM Range 2500-3000. Used Cruise Control for 150 km as well.
Speed: 100-120 kmph for most part

Uphill:
Mostly 2nd and 3rd gear...RPM Range around 2000-2500 with an occasional burst to 3500 for overtaking.

Speed: Around 30 kmph for most part

Downhill:

Mostly 3rd gear only. RPM Range 3000. No frequent gear changes and did not upshift even if the rpm crossed 3000 at some places.

Speed: 40-50 kmph for most part.

Hope this helps.
anugrahlall is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 20:07   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anugrahlall View Post
Likewise. After a month of city driving giving me figures of 7kmpl i was a bit sad but then took it out on to the highway and figures of 15kmpl made me go whoa
Old 25th October 2014, 11:34   #2413
BHPian

Hi,

Please share a picture of Fiat's car freshener and the industrial finish mats.

I couldn't locate them on Team-Bhp.

Best rgds,

Siva

Quote:
So it was Jet+'s third service and what an appetite the flying machine had built up in two years and it gorged and gorged till it could no more.....car's HU made by Delphi, so I returned the same.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th October 2014 at 01:55. Reason: Please refrain from quoting entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Old 25th October 2014, 19:25   #2414
Senior - BHPian

Will do so tomorrow. The mats were sold on the classifieds section by another member and are not a regular sale item per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Hi,

Please share a picture of Fiat's car freshener and the industrial finish mats.

I couldn't locate them on Team-Bhp.

Best rgds,

Siva
Old 26th October 2014, 02:29   #2415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So it was Jet+'s third service and what an appetite the flying machine had built up in two years and it gorged and gorged till it could no more.

Not that I mind and it certainly helped that this weekend FIAT sponsored a service camp wherein discounts of 10 & 20% were offered on all Parts/Consumables & labour respectively. Took advantage of the same and ordered an extra remote key & bought Fiat's car freshener for my rides.

I remembered the bit posted regarding the remote and spoke to the dealer. He immediately had one brought from stores and offered it to me FOC. However, it just did not work with my car's HU made by Delphi, so I returned the same.

Hi sir, any reason/belief you didn't get the oil filter ? ( Generally people recommend changing the filter during oil change.)

Have you tried any other oil for your Jet? I've come across OWS40 (something like that - will confirm by morning) that my friends say is exceptionally good.

Also, I have a MJD, I changed the oil recently and plan to stick to mineral rather than shift to Synthetic Oil since some people reported oil leaks after shifting to Synth post long term Mineral oil use. They said it opened up some deposits that mineral oil had caused over long term.

Reason I'm pulling up this topic is that recently I read that as per SAE regulations, if anything <49% recycled oil is mixed by companies in new oil, they don't need to disclose the same and it can be sold as mineral oil. (And this being India I'm sure manufacturers are using any such ₹₹ saving rule to the hilt.)

Also, do you feel engine flush (during regular oil change) could possibly do any harm (like removing long term deposits). I personally felt engine flush not necessary thinking that it may do more harm than benefit and plan to simply change oil every 10k kms. Also in the sense - why change something that's working fine.

Lastly, I have news for T-Jet owners (if you'll don't already know) : The Euro Specced T-Jet's ECU can be swapped with the Indian version! That one apparently outputs 120bhp, gives better fuel economy and even makes he engine run more silently (subjective to oil).

Best of all it can be procured from FASS at <20k, and since it's from FASS, I don't think they would void the warranty!

Will try to provide detailed info if people here haven't come across this. Actually I came across this in a FIAT forum where one of our beloved and knowledgeable members got his Jet remapped and since his ECU got conked off (for a completely different reason), he got another ECU from KHT - F.A.S.C. in Bangalore.

Waiting for replies!

(Dear Mods : Hope I haven't exceeded smiley usage as I'm typing from iPad and can't make out if it's more than 2. Pls pardon me incase.
Warm Rgds.)
GrammarNazi is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks