Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2015, 20:54   #2746
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Was it Palace Cross? I will be surprised if it is. When a colleague wanted to drive a Vento Tsi, last year, it was palace cross that offered the car. Apple VW did not have a Vento Tsi test car. The dealer experience was much better at Palace Cross too. Ended up buying the car from them.
VW Whitefield is where I went. I called and asked Palace Cross about the Jetta 1.4.

Quote:
Jerkiness does surface once in a while and it has to do with the gearbox, not the engine. The engine is without doubt a more refined unit than a T Jet. I get to drive, travel in a 1.2l Tsi on a Gt and Vento quite often. Both the cars suffer from occasional jerks in bumper to bumper conditions. It is not a reproducible problem.
The jerks, were happening almost constantly in stop go traffic, on gentle acceleration or just coming to a standstill. It was almost as if it was hunting for the correct gear??

Quote:
The Sport mode is epic. Gear shifts at the red line and rev matching when you come down the gears. It is awesome.
Agree

Quote:
The Vento is expensive because of its advanced mechanicals. Direct Injection Turbo mated to a superb 7 speed dual clutch auto box. You get ESP too. The Vento strikes a nice balance with ease of driving combined with a very capable, refined 1.2l turbo petrol motor that pleases when you want to have some fun. On the other hand, the T Jet is an outright drivers car.
I don't think it's worth 2.0L more, but that's my view.

On a side note, I went and took a look at the Kwid at the Renault showroom down the road. Saw the Fluence standing outside, and on the spur of the moment asked for a test drive. Came back thoroughly impressed with the quality of the ride, steering feel, smoothness/power of the 110 PS engine in this avatar. Around 19.0L MRP on road for the top of the line version. Even the interaction with the sales rep was much better than at VW.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:28   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
The jerks, were happening almost constantly in stop go traffic, on gentle acceleration or just coming to a standstill.
Possibly the result of an abused car. DSG's don't behave this way.

Quote:
I don't think it's worth 2.0L more, but that's my view.
Maybe to you and me but the general public and most folks on tbhp itself do think so. Sadly; there is little to no interest any more for the Linea. To most folks, the additional 2lac is justified. The diesel Linea is a dud. In the case of VW, the additional cost is probably coming from the engine and gearbox as it is a fully imported unit. Forget the engine, the gearbox alone is expensive and you can't ignore the brilliance of it. Every other car that competes with the Linea offers more in some way or the other. Passenger legroom was not really a bother for me, when I set out to buy a Linea but you can't ignore it. Truth be told, some hatchbacks today offer more passenger room than a Linea. The prime competitors to the Linea offer foot ball field space at the back. Then there is a question of suspect build and after sales, both of which are a hit or miss. The competition is far ahead. Then there are the heavier controls of the car. Most people want everything to be light and easy to operate (Eps,etc). I can go on and on.

I love my T Jet. I dread the day when I will have to upgrade. There are quite a number of cars that are good to drive, except that they cost significantly more. That is how brilliant the Linea is to drive. However; this one aspect alone isn't enough to seal the deal for most. Does the competition offer more car at a higher cost? Absolutely.

Quote:
Saw the Fluence standing outside, and on the spur of the moment asked for a test drive. Even the interaction with the sales rep was much better than at VW.
This car appeals to me more in the looks department than a Laura. I was considering the petrol automatic when it was available. Had to bin it as it was out of budget.

The VW Whitefield outlet is best avoided. Palace Cross chaps are much better.
Old 15th December 2015, 10:37   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe to you and me but the general public and most folks on tbhp itself do think so. Sadly; there is little to no interest any more for the Linea. To most folks, the additional 2lac is justified. The diesel Linea is a dud. In the case of VW, the additional cost is probably coming from the engine and gearbox as it is a fully imported unit. Forget the engine, the gearbox alone is expensive and you can't ignore the brilliance of it. Every other car that competes with the Linea offers more in some way or the other. Passenger legroom was not really a bother for me, when I set out to buy a Linea but you can't ignore it. Truth be told, some hatchbacks today offer more passenger room than a Linea. The prime competitors to the Linea offer foot ball field space at the back. Then there is a question of suspect build and after sales, both of which are a hit or miss. The competition is far ahead. Then there are the heavier controls of the car. Most people want everything to be light and easy to operate (Eps,etc). I can go on and on.
The T-Jet just ticked all my boxes for the amount I was willing to spend, and I found it to be the only worthy upgrade from another underrated car, the Baleno which was beginning to show its age after clocking 125k's. So far, touch wood no issues with the T-jet in 20 months of ownership.

I agree, space at the back is not the best but my daughter loves the deep seat sqaub, and I haven't really got any complaints from the back, even from my 6'+ cousin. After a point rear seat legroom goes from being a practical problem to just bragging rights.

Unfortunately in today's market features seems to drive sales, and driving dynamics, feel, etc play second fiddle. I would gladly sacrifice certain features if it makes the drive more involving, which I don't think most people are willing to settle for today.

Quote:
I love my T Jet. I dread the day when I will have to upgrade. There are quite a number of cars that are good to drive, except that they cost significantly more. That is how brilliant the Linea is to drive. However; this one aspect alone isn't enough to seal the deal for most. Does the competition offer more car at a higher cost? Absolutely.
If the traffic situation in Bangalore continues on it merry way, you will be upgrading to walking.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 12:05   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The T-Jet just ticked all my boxes for the amount I was willing to spend, and I found it to be the only worthy upgrade from another underrated car, the Baleno which was beginning to show its age after clocking 125k's. So far, touch wood no issues with the T-jet in 20 months of ownership.
It did for me too. In fact; the only other worthy option to look at, when I was shopping for a new car was the Honda. Was it a better car on an overall view? Yes.

Like you, I was not looking for a car that takes me from point A to B. That any car can do. I wanted a car that connected to the driver and there was only one option for that, a Fiat Linea. This applies more cause I was coming from a Ford Ikon.

Now that you say you had a Baleno, I'd like to say that it has spot on driver ergonomics. A colleague switched from a Baleno to the Vento Tsi on my recommendation. I got to drive his Baleno often. It was riding on Koni springs, a strut brace and up sized rims. With this set up, it actually demolishes the handling of even a Linea T Jet. You sit really low too and it enhances the overall driving feel. The engine was simply amazing. You could push 6500rpm, possibly higher and the engine did not feel one bit stressed. My buddy gave it up when it had around 70 clicks on the odo. Got too expensive to fix even with a good fng. If there was one thing that scared the daylights out of me, it was the weak brakes.

I am happy to report that I hit 48 months, this month. Not a single issue, likewise, touch wood and I hope it stays this way.

Quote:
After a point rear seat legroom goes from being a practical problem to just bragging rights.
You are right. The space at the back of a Scala/Sunny is deceiving. Sit there for a while and there are other short comings that surface and they are no longer about legroom. However; I would have liked to have legroom as much as the old City atleast. It is a little too tight at the back and I am about as tall as your cousin. The problem is compounded further if you have a tall front passenger. The shin rubs the glove box and this makes them push the front seats back more than required. This kills the already limited rear legroom. At my driving position, no adult can sit behind me. As a result, I plonked the booster seat behind me. My four year old manages to kick the seat back while plonked in his seat. Kinda gives you an idea on the limited room there is.

Quote:
I would gladly sacrifice certain features if it makes the drive more involving, which I don't think most people are willing to settle for today.
Absolutely.

Quote:
If the traffic situation in Bangalore continues on it merry way, you will be upgrading to walking.
Ha Ha.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th December 2015 at 12:08.
Old 15th December 2015, 13:51   #2750
BHPian

Quote:
Now that you say you had a Baleno, I'd like to say that it has spot on driver ergonomics. A colleague switched from a Baleno to the Vento Tsi on my recommendation. I got to drive his Baleno often. It was riding on Koni springs, a strut brace and up sized rims. With this set up, it actually demolishes the handling of even a Linea T Jet. You sit really low too and it enhances the overall driving feel. The engine was simply amazing. You could push 6500rpm, possibly higher and the engine did not feel one bit stressed. My buddy gave it up when it had around 70 clicks on the odo. Got too expensive to fix even with a good fng. If there was one thing that scared the daylights out of me, it was the weak brakes.
I had a 2000 model, so one of the original ones with all Jap parts. I too was running on 15" rims and a stiffened suspension, which made it one of the best handling/riding cars I have driven so far. The T-jet rolls a bit too much for my liking at low speeds. I managed to improve the brakes on the Baleno by getting Bendix pads from Kaula Lampur.

Quote:
I am happy to report that I hit 48 months, this month. Not a single issue, likewise, touch wood and I hope it stays this way.

Quote:
You are right. The space at the back of a Scala/Sunny is deceiving. Sit there for a while and there are other short comings that surface and they are no longer about legroom. However; I would have liked to have legroom as much as the old City atleast. It is a little too tight at the back and I am about as tall as your cousin. The problem is compounded further if you have a tall front passenger. The shin rubs the glove box and this makes them push the front seats back more than required. This kills the already limited rear legroom. At my driving position, no adult can sit behind me. As a result, I plonked the booster seat behind me. My four year old manages to kick the seat back while plonked in his seat. Kinda gives you an idea on the limited room there is.
Yeah, with the seat set all the way back even a kid would find it tough. Even I am a few mm short of 6', but with my setting (have about 6" of travel to max stop) I find I have just about enough space to sit behind the drivers seat. My seat is set quite high to get around the steering which wont go low enough. I now prefer this seating position over the Balenos, which even I thought was great.
Old 19th December 2015, 01:13   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed - what mind-blowing high speed stability.

Incidentally, this official review was conducted between Mumbai & Deolali. Look at some of the pics on the opening page and they might seem familiar to you.

Hope you head out to the awesome Igatpuri ghat section . It's built for cars like the Linea T-Jet.
yeah that drive used to be nirvana on sundays esp in winters. buffet lunch at Mainland China Nasik and then scoot down to Kasara. cup of tea at a dhaba in Igatpuri while returning and ready for monday. i have always dreamt of rolling down in the jet and back up in the ikon 1.6
the pics appear to have been taken between shahpur and bhiwandi (guessing from the road divider).
Old 19th December 2015, 01:35   #2752
BHPian

the tjet seems to be involved in a lot of comparisons. let me share my own take wrt all the eligible cars.

Ciaz - boring, dull... enough said.
City - more of a type than a car or too smart for its own boots.
Verna - I'm trying to get there.. somebody, somehow, somewhere please oh please.
Linea Tjet - really don't care. i know when i punch.
Vento - excuse me but what is it that you love ?
Rapid - *** r we having fun ?
Sunny - longitude but no latitude
Scala - mercy, still no latitude.
Fiesta - Ive changed, pl take a look.

ha ha
Old 19th December 2015, 16:04   #2753
BHPian

Hi all

I will keep it short, joining the crazy list of T-jet owners soon. The color option available is Tuscon wine, Requesting all Owners of Tuscon Whine Color to kindly post some more Photographs

Quote:
So, after sitting on the fence for some time, I have bit the bullet !

A 2015 Linea T jet in Tuscan Wine.

Was really confused between a hip hop black & a tuscan wine - but tuscan wine won the battle.

I should get the delivery by 20th May.

Advice needed:

1.) Since reverse parking sensors are not standard fitment - I was thinking of going with a GPS cum reverse parking camera..... pl suggest some options.

Will a garmin/Tom Tom GPS bought from US work here? I have relatives and can procure it from there.

2.) Tyre upgrade to michelins - Will it make a lot of difference to the ride and road noise.
Quote:
Believe me, Tuscan Wine looks great and in the 2014 model it is a real beauty. It is a little on the deeper side which makes it even nicer. In Trivandrum I have seen a no. of them and all of them looked great!

- price seems to a little high - i am sure you can negotiate at least 20-30k more.

Don't break my heart locco pocco. I have paid the entire amount and that too without practically any offer in terms of accessories. There is only one dealer here in Tvpm. so competition is minimum. No other way.

I was considering MapMyIndia models such as Lx350, vx350 and Zx350. Which one suits the T jet better I am not sure.
Special Request to obove to Posters.
Old 21st December 2015, 15:16   #2754
BHPian

Team,

I am looking for a Linea T-Jet Emotion Variant (Magnesia Grey OR White). As of now none of the FIAT dealers (KHT & Vecto) has a Emotion model in my preferred color variant. Got a Late Aug 15 model of Dynamic version OTR after all discounts INR10,36,000.

Need your advise on the below 2 aspects:
1. If someone has any contacts in Bangalore where I can get a Emotion Model of Linea T-Jet (Magnesia Grey/White).
2. Is the OTR INR10,36,000 good for the Dynamic trim ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st December 2015, 16:14   #2755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
I am looking for a Linea T-Jet Emotion Variant (Magnesia Grey OR White). As of now none of the FIAT dealers (KHT & Vecto) has a Emotion model in my preferred color variant. Got a Late Aug 15 model of Dynamic version OTR after all discounts INR10,36,000.
Any particular reason why Aadya Motors is not being approached for the purchase? I got my FIAT Linea TJet delivered on November 2nd,2015 - Magnesio Gray from them after the fake promises from KHT-FIAT Caffe. Do get in touch with Aadya Motors. At the time of my purchase, A white TJet was in stock with them.

Also, It makes sense to go for the Emotion variant considering the extra features on offer like the Cruise control, 16-inch alloys, Ambient Lighting, Rear Sun curtain. Leather Upholstery etc...

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 21st December 2015 at 16:20. Reason: Additinal feature in EMOTION added. minor spelling correction
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:22   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
Team,

Need your advise on the below 2 aspects:
1. If someone has any contacts in Bangalore where I can get a Emotion Model of Linea T-Jet (Magnesia Grey/White).
2. Is the OTR INR10,36,000 good for the Dynamic trim ?

Thanks in advance.

There's no reason why you cannot book a color and model of your choice by paying a token deposit. They should place the order and get it for you. Unless there's no production happening or you are in a hurry. Also, you can bargain for a sweet deal considering it's the end of year. The emotion model is worth every penny for all the extras it provides over the lesser models.
carrerastrax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:22   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
Any particular reason why Aadya Motors is not being approached for the purchase? I got my FIAT Linea TJet delivered on November 2nd,2015 - Magnesio Gray from them after the fake promised from KHT-FIAT Caffe. Do get in touch with Aadya Motors. At the time of my pirchase, A white TJet was in stock with them.

Also, It makes sense to go for the Emotion variant considering the extra features on offer like the Cruise control, 16-inch alloys, Ambient Lighting, Rear Sun curtain etc...
Hi Vinod,

Thank you.
Was not aware of Aadya. Got the information & contact from Sateesh few mins back and spoke to the executive. The sales exec said he would call me back in an hours time after checking the stock. Yes i too want to go for the Emotion model because there are few interesting additions there.
Old 21st December 2015, 16:28   #2758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
There's no reason why you cannot book a color and model of your choice by paying a token deposit. They should place the order and get it for you. Unless there's no production happening or you are in a hurry. Also, you can bargain for a sweet deal considering it's the end of year. The emotion model is worth every penny for all the extras it provides over the lesser models.
Agree with you completely. Dynamic variant just doesn't make sense with the sweet deals on offer for the top end variants and also considering the fact that Linea was never an expensive proposition. Sadly, the production of the TJet is limited and I had to be content with an August, 2015 make.

Quote:
Hi Vinod,
Thank you.
Was not aware of Aadya. Got the information & contact from Sateesh few mins back and spoke to the executive. The sales exec said he would call me back in an hours time after checking the stock. Yes i too want to go for the Emotion model because there are few interesting additions there.
@Arindam_Nayek, Please do not take it wrong but then I prefer being reffered to as VinodH ('H'). Quite possessive about my name

Coming back, There is no reason for you to be content with the Dynamic variant. Do push for the Emotion variant. My service advisor was a lady by name roppa and I can get you in touch with her if needed. However, I do advise patience when dealing with FIAT dealers. Trust me, they will test it to the core and as for me my love for the Linea was the only reason I tolerated it all. Also, I have heard from few that Vecto Motors will be stripped of their FIAT association post 31t December, 2015 hence better stay away from them.

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2015 at 16:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged; Post formatted
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2015, 16:43   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
I am to be blamed here. There are three reasons though :

1. As per my knowledge most of the vehicle manufacturers do stop production from Dec onwards.
2. Heard of one more price rise across all car manufacturers from Jan 2016 Onwards.
3. I can save a few bucks if I get a good deal on a 2015 Model. I am going to keep my car for a longer duration of time so I don't mind a 2015 Model only if its in prime condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
@Arindam_Nayek, Please do not take it wrong but then I prefer being reffered to as VinodH ('H'). Quite possessive about my name
I will keep that in mind Vinodh.
Thanks for all your Advise.

Last edited by Arindam_Nayek : 21st December 2015 at 16:50.
Old 21st December 2015, 17:09   #2760
BHPian

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
I am to be blamed here. There are three reasons though :

1. As per my knowledge most of the vehicle manufacturers do stop production from Dec onwards.
2. Heard of one more price rise across all car manufacturers from Jan 2016 Onwards.
3. I can save a few bucks if I get a good deal on a 2015 Model. I am going to keep my car for a longer duration of time so I don't mind a 2015 Model only if its in prime condition.

I will keep that in mind Vinodh.
Thanks for all your Advise.

Yes, it was apparent that you want to pick up the 2015 model. I booked my car in Jan (Bangalore) and my friend in Dec (Mumbai; same car - linea diesel emotion) and the difference was about 1 lakh. My hope was that there's stock at the factory. The dealers will try to push their stock as it's the end of the year. So they may not be forthcoming about invoicing another car that you can possibly cancel in the interim. With a fiat, try to get everything that you had in mind. All the best with your purchase..!

Last edited by carrerastrax : 21st December 2015 at 17:13.

Most Viewed