Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 09:11   #3076
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cav View Post
Guys I am pleased to state that the my Tjet has now a successor (though I am still retaining her). It is the Abarth Punto. [/b]
Hey there congrats on your ride.

I have owned the T-Jet for some years now (2012) and I am also contemplating an upgrade. But where I live there is no Fiat service center and I have to rely on FNGs for repairs and 99rpm.com for parts. Given that, would you recommend me going for an Abarth?

Plus my car does not run much as it shares the garage with a Thar and an Alto K10 (for city use).

I am finding it so difficult to upgrade, as anything better than the T-Jet is going to cost me at least around 20 big ones, unless I look for used BMWs and the like, and good specimens are hard to come by.

Last edited by GTO : 14th July 2018 at 08:25. Reason: Poor language & grammar
johy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th July 2018, 12:42   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Which is a good tire for the T-Jet. Between these two.

I have been running Pirelli P7 for about 20k now. Even I was little skeptical about these tyres initially but touchwood they have proved to be nice tyres with excellent grip and good ride quality. I haven't used Michelin ST3 so not sure how P7 compares to ST3. But I have read nice reviews about them as well, may try them out next time. By the way you can also consider continental MC5, they are equally good tyres. I have them on my polo gt and they are quite grippy , silent and ride well.

Last edited by ampere : 14th July 2018 at 15:50. Reason: Compacted quoted post
subrasri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 16:24   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrasri View Post
I have been running Pirelli P7 for about 20k now. Even I was little skeptical about these tyres initially but touchwood they have proved to be nice tyres with excellent grip and good ride quality. I haven't used Michelin ST3 so not sure how P7 compares to ST3. But I have read nice reviews about them as well, may try them out next time. By the way you can also consider continental MC5, they are equally good tyres. I have them on my polo gt and they are quite grippy , silent and ride well.
Thanks, and I have indeed ordered Continental MC5 at my local tire shop - this after much thought and deliberation.

As a side note, do you own the GT Tsi or its diesel twin? How does it compare with the T-Jet?

Rear seat non-withstanding, can it replace the T-Jet?
Old 16th July 2018, 23:25   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, and I have indeed ordered Continental MC5 at my local tire shop - this after much thought and deliberation.

As a side note, do you own the GT Tsi or its diesel twin? How does it compare with the T-Jet?

Rear seat non-withstanding, can it replace the T-Jet?

Good choice on the tyres, you won't regret. I own a GT TSI. I love both these cars and difficult to pick one over the other. I actually got the Tjet first and later when I was looking for a smaller automatic car I ended up buying the GT TSI. It was the closest car that matched Tjet on the driving experience and the tough build.
Just based on my personal experience, I find the GT to be more planted at high speeds compared to the Tjet possibly due to the lower ground clearance. It's speed masking is amazing. The Tjet feels faster and more responsive to throttle input. The ride though is bumpier compared to the GT possibly due to the higher ground clearance. I feel more in control in the Tjet at all times thanks to the hydraulic steering and the sharp all wheel disc brakes.
Of course GT has its advantages to quickly zip through in city traffic and park in tight spaces. It's sports mode is quite fun to drive on open highways.
Overall both the cars are unique and fun to drive in their own way.
subrasri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 10:54   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Good choice on the tyres, you won't regret. I own a GT TSI. I love both these cars and difficult to pick one over the other. I actually got the Tjet first and later when I was looking for a smaller automatic car I ended up buying the GT TSI. It was the closest car that matched Tjet on the driving experience and the tough build.
Just based on my personal experience, I find the GT to be more planted at high speeds compared to the Tjet possibly due to the lower ground clearance. It's speed masking is amazing. The Tjet feels faster and more responsive to throttle input. The ride though is bumpier compared to the GT possibly due to the higher ground clearance. I feel more in control in the Tjet at all times thanks to the hydraulic steering and the sharp all wheel disc brakes.
Of course GT has its advantages to quickly zip through in city traffic and park in tight spaces. It's sports mode is quite fun to drive on open highways.
Overall both the cars are unique and fun to drive in their own way.
Thanks for your response.

I own the 2011 iteration of the T-Jet, and so it has a lower ground clearance than its successor. From what I have read on the Internet, the older T-Jets handle and rides a tad better due to the lower GC.

However, when I purchased the car (in 2012), the city where I live in (Siliguri) - was largely free of traffic. It is a congested place now and I find myself almost always driving my K10 AMT around town.

I have been contemplating selling off the T-Jet and getting a replacement enthusiast's car, and the Polo Tsi has been on my radar. The other being an Abarth. The T-Jet has run very little, as is. The town has small roads for a sedan and the other "SUVs" don't really interest me (I own a Thar as well )

What I really want to know is if the Polo Tsi will really give me the "feel" of a replacement for the T-Jet (minus the size).

Fiat's poor service has lived up to its mark. They closed down the service centre here in town and there is no sign anything is going to happen - despite many Jeep Compasses and a couple of Grand Cherokees on the road.

Again a bit off topic, but the fact that there is no VW showroom in town (nearest being 500 km away in Kolkata), a tight rear bench (sometimes need to drive with four - but then we do that with the K10 as well), DSG, and the somewhat steep price tag is what is keeping me away.

I see I cannot yet PM you, with you being an newbie and all, but when things change - I do hope I can contact you for more information.

Cheers!
Old 17th August 2018, 11:34   #3081
BHPian

Hi folks - Need some advise, my Tjet (May 2016 make) started showing lock symbol recently. I took to the FIAT service centre today and they advised that it's an issue with battery and recommended to get it replaced. The SA didn't run any special diagnosis but was confident about the issue with the battery.
Questions-
Has anyone else had similar problem which ended up to be related to battery issue?
Should I just go ahead and get my battery changed?. So far I have completed about 2y 3 months with my existing battery, how long a production battery would last?
If I need to change, what's the recommended brand to change to exide or amaron? And any genuine shops in Chennai that I can reach out to? The SA mentioned Rs. 6500 as quote for battery change through them.
Old 17th August 2018, 13:09   #3082
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So far I have completed about 2y 3 months with my existing battery, how long a production battery would last?

The SA mentioned Rs. 6500 as quote for battery change through them.
Cars which sit in the stock yard after manufacturing are prone to premature battery failure. My Duster AWD (2014 mfg and 2015 June delivery) battery started giving trouble in 3 years. I would get reset MID and random check lights on the instrument cluster. Starting the car took a bit longer and felt weak.

Got a new battery from Exide, same as stock model for 4700 with exchange of old battery whereas the SA was quoting 6100 for a change without exchange of old battery.
Old 17th August 2018, 14:24   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your response.

I own the 2011 iteration of the T-Jet, and so it has a lower ground clearance than its successor. From what I have read on the Internet, the older T-Jets handle and rides a tad better due to the lower GC.

However, when I purchased the car (in 2012), the city where I live in (Siliguri) - was largely free of traffic. It is a congested place now and I find myself almost always driving my K10 AMT around town.

I have been contemplating selling off the T-Jet and getting a replacement enthusiast's car, and the Polo Tsi has been on my radar. The other being an Abarth. The T-Jet has run very little, as is. The town has small roads for a sedan and the other "SUVs" don't really interest me (I own a Thar as well )

What I really want to know is if the Polo Tsi will really give me the "feel" of a replacement for the T-Jet (minus the size).

Fiat's poor service has lived up to its mark. They closed down the service centre here in town and there is no sign anything is going to happen - despite many Jeep Compasses and a couple of Grand Cherokees on the road.

Again a bit off topic, but the fact that there is no VW showroom in town (nearest being 500 km away in Kolkata), a tight rear bench (sometimes need to drive with four - but then we do that with the K10 as well), DSG, and the somewhat steep price tag is what is keeping me away.

I see I cannot yet PM you, with you being an newbie and all, but when things change - I do hope I can contact you for more information.

Cheers!
I would say go for the Abarth. The car will need servicing once a year or 15K kms. Polo GT TSI is a very close contender. But the Abarth with a manual gear box coupled with all round disc breaks is way much better. There is also another reason why you should go for the Abarth. This will be the last genes of a true Fiat in the country and probably world wide as well. Post this if Fiat decides to manufacture cars in India it won't have the build quality and hydraulic steering like these ones. If you are a person who cares of the cars you own then go for Abarth. It will be a priced possession which will put a million smiles over a period of 5-7 years with not really much of a hassle.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 13:11   #3084
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks - Need some advise, my Tjet (May 2016 make) started showing lock symbol recently. I took to the FIAT service centre today and they advised that it's an issue with battery and recommended to get it replaced. The SA didn't run any special diagnosis but was confident about the issue with the battery.
Questions-
Has anyone else had similar problem which ended up to be related to battery issue?
Should I just go ahead and get my battery changed?. So far I have completed about 2y 3 months with my existing battery, how long a production battery would last?
If I need to change, what's the recommended brand to change to exide or amaron? And any genuine shops in Chennai that I can reach out to? The SA mentioned Rs. 6500 as quote for battery change through them.
Though Factory fitted Linea battery does not last long but 2y 3 months is too soon. It should have lasted at least 3 years if not more. I would suggest getting the battery checked at nearby battery dealer preferably by the dealer of the existing battery. They do it by checking the battery voltage and the battery cell water density test. If the cells are weak they will fail the density test.
Don't but from FASS, they will most likely rip you off. You can check online like batterywale dot com OR call up local dealer. Batterywale is quoting 4850 with the Old battery in Chennai for Amaron 50 Ah Battery AAM-FL-550114042. The local dealer should be offering a comparable price and be ready to get it replaced at your home should you need it.
Btw, my Tjet is sometimes showing Airbag failure message especially when I don't use it for a few days. I got it checked, one cell is weak but I am holding off buying a new one as the issue happens only sometimes. But I except within another quarter I will have to change it.
Old 19th August 2018, 13:58   #3085
BHPian

Drove the T Jet for the first time last weekend. Must say it is an amazing machine to own. The wheel spin and the adrenaline push in a petrol engine is just too good to not live with.
The only thing I am not liking is the gear box. Clutch is not an issue but may be in Mumbai Traffic it will make my knee cap replacement earlier lol
Old 19th August 2018, 17:41   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Though Factory fitted Linea battery does not last long but 2y 3 months is too soon. It should have lasted at least 3 years if not more. I would suggest getting the battery checked at nearby battery dealer preferably by the dealer of the existing battery. They do it by checking the battery voltage and the battery cell water density test. If the cells are weak they will fail the density test.

Don't but from FASS, they will most likely rip you off. You can check online like batterywale dot com OR call up local dealer. Batterywale is quoting 4850 with the Old battery in Chennai for Amaron 50 Ah Battery AAM-FL-550114042. The local dealer should be offering a comparable price and be ready to get it replaced at your home should you need it.

Btw, my Tjet is sometimes showing Airbag failure message especially when I don't use it for a few days. I got it checked, one cell is weak but I am holding off buying a new one as the issue happens only sometimes. But I except within another quarter I will have to change it.

Thanks Amit for your inputs. Yes, I checked my battery yesterday from a local battery dealer. He said one of the cells was weak. He was offering Exide battery for about 6k including a buy back of my old battery.
I am planning to just stick on with my existing battery for some more time. I'll shop around for cheaper options and will decide.
Old 28th August 2018, 17:52   #3087
BHPian

Have been fancying over an enthusiastic car for quite some long. Can anyone here suggest me whether to go for a Linea Tjet or a Fiesta 1.6 S.?
Old 28th August 2018, 21:38   #3088
BHPian

Fiesta has lesser maintenance costs and better service support among the two. Power delivery is more linear and predictable than the Tjet. In city traffic, i feel that the 1.6 is easier to drive. Both cars handles corners well but the Linea tackles broken roads better.
Linea has more potential for remaps with the turbocharged engine. Finding a Tjet would be easier as well. Properly maintained (non riced) 1.6s are hard to come by and most sellers ask unreasonable prices.

For peace of mind go for fiesta. For the experience go for Linea

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 28th August 2018 at 21:43. Reason: Adding the bottomline
Old 4th September 2018, 18:03   #3089
BHPian

I may be saying something which enthusiast does not care much about but also consider the fact that Linea was launched more than 10 years back and Fiesta even more so getting the spare parts might be an issue should you need to change something.
For e.g. Front Left Lower arm ( part of suspension setup; for my T-jet) is not available anywhere. For some reason, Fiat is not supplying this part.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:32   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
I may be saying something which enthusiast does not care much about but also consider the fact that Linea was launched more than 10 years back and Fiesta even more so getting the spare parts might be an issue should you need to change something.
For e.g. Front Left Lower arm ( part of suspension setup; for my T-jet) is not available anywhere. For some reason, Fiat is not supplying this part.
Did you check 99rpm by any chance?
https://www.99rpm.com/fiat/lower-control-arm-linea.html

Last edited by ece2k2 : 5th September 2018 at 10:34.

Most Viewed