Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2010, 14:39   #46
BHPian

Few points. Didn't read all the posts but I don't have much time. I have a Vista TDi and made a few comparisons.
1. My vista has a doesn't have a sticker on the steering wheel. Think that's just the test model, or is that price cuts??
2. Hmm, the air con vents do close completely, I just have to move the height adjustment all the way down. The height adjustment knob controls both the airflow and the direction. Atleast that's how it works in my car. Some connection between the wings and the knob broke in my car and the wings don't move anymore but I can still shut off the airflow.
3. You can notice in the pictures that the back of the seats don't fold completely flat. Mine's an aqua and I don't have split seats. But, the base of the seat can be pulled up forwards first and then the backs will lie flat. However, if the front seats are in the extreme back position, there won't be enough space for this. Shouldn't be much of a problem unless you are 6'5" and need to put the seat all the way back.
4. The passenger side wiper doesn't move in a simple semi circle. It has two mounts and has a sort of horizontal movement too. It's cool and it clears up a wider area. The plastic covering over the wiper mounts needs to be removed to show this. Will get a picture if I can.
5. The seat base is absolutely horrible, the footwell area is a mess. Guess these simple things haven't been fixed. I don't get it. If you have the engineering prowess to manufacture a car with 4 engine variants ,ABS and great straight line stability, why can't you fix the simple things???

Were any 0-100 times or any in-gear acceleration tests done??

Btw, I'm sorry of some if some of these questions have already been answered, but I haven't had the time to go thru all the posts but I will read thru them later.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

The high prices are unavoidable due to higher excise duty the 1.4 attracts. If Tata is serious about selling this car in numbers, it'll do well to equip it with a CNG/LPG kit! Wonder why Tata and Fiat can't improve their 1.2 L engines to develop more power. Maruti is able to extract well over 80 horses from a 1200 CC block.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The high prices are unavoidable due to higher excise duty the 1.4 attracts. If Tata is serious about selling this car in numbers, it'll do well to equip it with a CNG/LPG kit! Wonder why Tata and Fiat can't improve their 1.2 L engines to develop more power. Maruti is able to extract well over 80 horses from a 1200 CC block.
Fiat has recently launched the Multiair series of engines with pretty impressive outputs. I would like to see that technology added to the engines they have here but they might be a tad expensive...

Multiair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:40   #49
BHPian

For whatever the improvement TATA has made and how much ever they try to disassociate the Indica name, the car still looks like Indica. Not only the exterior, even the interior dashboard form, the seats, interior form and the big steering reminds me of Indica though the instrument cluster has moved to the middle. I am not against Tata, I myself have a 7 years old Indica and I happy with it. But to see new launches with 10 year old design puts me off. No, I wont put my money on another car that resembles a 10 year old car. Seriously, no way in the hell - no amount of fixing the headlights, extra creases and chrome dollops will do. Take Honda for example, the design and looks of one generation car and the next generation is totally refreshing. Where is the 'fresh' factor here ? The issue is not with the Indica name, the issue is the overall structure, both inside and outside, that looks same as that of a 10 year old model. Maybe it's just me and my mental block, so be it
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
For whatever the improvement TATA has made and how much ever they try to disassociate the Indica name, the car still looks like Indica. Not only the exterior, even the interior dashboard form, the seats, interior form and the big steering reminds me of Indica though the instrument cluster has moved to the middle. I am not against Tata, I myself have a 7 years old Indica and I happy with it. But to see new launches with 10 year old design puts me off. No, I wont put my money on another car that resembles a 10 year old car. Seriously, no way in the hell - no amount of fixing the headlights, extra creases and chrome dollops will do. Take Honda for example, the design and looks of one generation car and the next generation is totally refreshing. Where is the 'fresh' factor here ? The issue is not with the Indica name, the issue is the overall structure, both inside and outside, that looks same as that of a 10 year old model. Maybe it's just me and my mental block, so be it

You must be joking to say that it looks like the old indica. No way it looks the same, its larger, design is different, headlamps are different, tail lamps different, side profile is different and inside is a totally different story. Maybe you should go and take a test dirve and then comment.
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:14   #51

@firespur: Great review, indeed. Looking forward to more ones from you

Hope this car does well, am all for Tatas, [But please, if someone at the Tatas is checking this thread, FIT n FINISH needs improvement!!]
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:48   #52
BHPian

I recently took a test drive of Vista and Manza. I was impressed by Manza for its space and ride quality. I thought that its a real VFM car. As soon as we sat in the car my kids shouted from rear seat that they feel like they are sitting in Honda Accord (that we used own in the US for 10 yrs) by looking at the space. Currently I own a I10 Automatic.

Even though I prefer Automatic cars I was thinking that for the money I save from buying Top end Manza diesel (8.25L) against buying City Automatic (11.75L OTR Blore) I can hire a driver for 5 years and save more on the fuel too.

When I told my brother that I'm considering Manza he immediately questioned its reliability. He never owned anything other than Maruthis. He asked if the demo car started in one Click. So, Tata has built such a bad reputation for local consumers too who have not tasted the reliability of Hondas and Toyotas in the western countries.

Unfortunately, I could not evaluate/compare the reliability since I never owned any car in india in the past 15 years until I bought I10 last year.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:18   #53
BHPian

thats one heck of a review!!Yet another variant gets added to the VISTA stable.

VIsta90 would be very hard to sell for Tata as people who buy these 1.6 versions are generally auto enthusiasts and the very first sight of interiors would make them run for cover.Seriously Tata needs to pull up its socks.

I was checking out a Punto recently and happened to have a look at Manza stationed at the showroom and boy what were Tata guys thinking!!such cheap quality of interiors(punto interiors arent great either except for stalks) and also please put back the instrument cluster towards the drivers side.It belongs only for the driver.Please!!
Old 23rd October 2010, 16:24   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Actually, there might be some thought put into that by Tata. We were asked to refrain from saying Indica Vista90 and were requested to say only Vista90
Hmmm. In school, we'd call that guy a "tubelight".

They spent crores in making it look like an Indica, all these years they advertised the car as an Indica Vista, the marketing guys argued & argued on why they retained the "Indica" in the Vista.....and now, after all of that, they want the general public to call it "Vista".
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

They spent crores in making it look like an Indica, all these years they advertised the car as an Indica Vista, the marketing guys argued & argued on why they retained the "Indica" in the Vista.....and now, after all of that, they want the general public to call it "Vista".
Tata motors would have initially thought of using the 'Indica' due to its high recall. However, 'Indica' gettting associated with the taxi segment and the quality issues diluted the 'Indica' brand ( a 'cheap' brand ), adversly affecting the 'Vista' which was positioned a segment above. Hence the company now wants to dissassociate 'Indica' with 'Vista'.

Perhaps a case of decision going wrong, inability to judge the value of the 'Indica' brand or sheer confusion in the minds of the marketing guys.
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Hope they have controlled the body roll which was extremely prominent in the 65 ps car (reported to go all around the place during cornering).
Nope, still there. Not as bad, but definitely not recommended to throw into corners expecting it to behave itself like other enthusiast cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If everything goes by the plan, come december, this will be second Vista in our family - The new red color looks superb, and the alloys looks pleasing.
True. Good luck with your purchase! And yes, the cabin is far removed from previous Indicas, quite a pleasant place to be in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Was there any possibility for you to drive Vista90 and Punto90 back to back?
Unfortunately I haven't driven the Punto90 so it would be wrong to comment on comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Sorry, but have to disagree with this. The I20 is spacious but in no way can be compared to the Vista in terms of space. The Vista is in a different league in terms of space offered in the segment.
I stand by the i20 in terms of space. I usually drive alone or with a single passenger, so with the seat completely pushed back, I've never known a more comfortable hatch with my driving position. Even when sitting at the back with an average sized person, I'm not complaining. I'm 6' 1", by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Now that Vista have come out with the new engine, the car ticks all the correct boxes for us. Now we dont have to be scared about bottom scrapping at speed breakers, space is no more a premium, and the new engine will keep us resonably happy during our highway drives, as well as in the city traffic.
The only compromise you will be making is that the Figo is definitely more composed through corners than the Vista. If you're fine with that, the extra power is there for you to enjoy in the Vista. Good luck with your purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I dont understand why Tata can not improve the fit and finish. They are already the 2nd highest passenger car seller in India, (If I am not wrong) bypassing Hyundai.
True. If they want to sustain that growth, the QC has to get tighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Seems TBHP conducts a photographic proficiency test before selecting its mods - bang at par with tsk's Cruze review!!
Haha. Thank you for your kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeblitz View Post
1. My vista has a doesn't have a sticker on the steering wheel. Think that's just the test model, or is that price cuts??

Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing out!

2. Hmm, the air con vents do close completely.

Again, thanks for clearing that up. Only an owner can point out the little stuff

4. The passenger side wiper doesn't move in a simple semi circle. It has two mounts and has a sort of horizontal movement too. It's cool and it clears up a wider area. The plastic covering over the wiper mounts needs to be removed to show this. Will get a picture if I can.

That's right. Couldn't really describe that complex movement. A picture from you would add value.

5. The seat base is absolutely horrible, the footwell area is a mess

Could you elaborate on what exactly you find amiss?

Were any 0-100 times or any in-gear acceleration tests done??

Not really. Wasn't equipped for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
You must be joking to say that it looks like the old indica.No way it looks the same, its larger, design is different, headlamps are different, tail lamps different, side profile is different and inside is a totally different story. Maybe you should go and take a test dirve and then comment.
Maybe I could have a valid opinion here. I've owned a '98 DLE, and currently own an '05 DLS. And I would say the Vista definitely reeks of the generic Tata styling, let alone reminisces of the old Indica. The side profile is very similar, the rear is generic Tata, but of course where it has improved by leaps and bounds is in the cabin and the front end. In fact, I say they've done injustice to the super looking front end by giving the rear the generic Indica look.
Old 24th October 2010, 15:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nice review

Wow, that's a nice review! There is a lot of space inside the cabin, and the dual tone beige scheme seems to work wonders. The plastics look like the soft touch ones in the Skoda Fabia review, but build quality is real

question, but what is the idea behind disabling the passenger side airbag? I mean after paying ~7L on road for the ABS, airbags and other safety features, who would want to disable the passenger side airbag?
Old 24th October 2010, 16:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Umm... if you aren't traveling with someone in the passenger seat, there isn't much use for that particular airbag to blow up.

I am not very sure, but perhaps when replacing the dash after a crash, that part can be skipped. Airbags really do cost a bomb, and if one can be saved, it would really save quite a dime.

Cheers!

PS:
@FlyingSpur

You missed my question! Can you describe the bottom end some more. The same engine in the Punto is practically dead below 2000 rpm. Is this one in a better state of tune? If yes, brickbats to Fiat. High time they learn how to tune their machines.

Last edited by EssYouWe : 24th October 2010 at 16:23.
Old 24th October 2010, 16:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

@WAG7- Passenger side airbag should be disabled if suppose a child is sitting on that seat. Ideally kids should sit at the backseat only.
Old 24th October 2010, 18:56   #60
RGK
Senior - BHPian

A detailed and nice review flyingspur. I think this would be a decent hatch back for a medium family who travel within the city more rather than doing longdrives eventhough it performs well there too. The selling point of this from Tata would be its cheap spare costs

Most Viewed