Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2010, 20:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
...what is the idea behind disabling the passenger side airbag? I mean after paying ~7L on road for the ABS, airbags and other safety features, who would want to disable the passenger side airbag?
The passenger airbag can prove to be fatal for children sitting shotgun. Ideally, child passengers should be seated in the backseat only. So if you do have a child passenger sitting shotgun, ensure seatbelt is worn and airbag is disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Can you describe the bottom end some more.
I found it acceptable enough, would be comfortable to drive in bumper-to-bumper and slow moving traffic. It won't fly off the moment you mash the throttle. I haven't driven the Punto.
Old 24th October 2010, 21:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hmmm. In school, we'd call that guy a "tubelight".

They spent crores in making it look like an Indica, all these years they advertised the car as an Indica Vista, the marketing guys argued & argued on why they retained the "Indica" in the Vista.....and now, after all of that, they want the general public to call it "Vista".
I call it the Chrysler school of management.
IIRC, they also calling the Sumo Victa as just Victa.
Old 24th October 2010, 22:10   #63
BHPian

brilliant review and superb pics Akshay . 5 *'s for a most excellent read.

Tata have been improving with every edition of the Indica's and Indigo's but as is apparent, there is still some way to go in terms of fit and finish.

I actually recognised some of the interior fiddly bits (buttons, bonnet opener latch) to be exactly the same as in my prev gen Indigo CS. However my car has decent door pockets so i'm a bit disappointed that Tata have removed a good thing.

The interiors space of the Vista is quite impressive though it comes at the expense of boot space. The amount of features that Tata provide at the cost makes it very VFM. Tata will have a tough time competing with the capable rivals like the i10/i20 and ofcourse the Swift because despite all their feature, the Vista just does not figure in most peoples list as an alternative.

How did you manage the ingress and egress? You're a bit taller than I am (5' 9") and everytime as I step into a Vista, I keep knocking my head against the roof. Same case with my dad (5' 8") and neither of us bounces into a car.

Last edited by gomzi : 24th October 2010 at 22:12.
Old 24th October 2010, 23:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
How did you manage the ingress and egress? You're a bit taller than I am (5' 9") and everytime as I step into a Vista, I keep knocking my head against the roof. Same case with my dad (5' 8") and neither of us bounces into a car.
Thanks Gautam. Frankly speaking, getting in and out of the 3 is such a pain in the everywhere, that the Indica feels like a much easier vehicle to get in and out of !!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th October 2010 at 23:16.
Old 24th October 2010, 23:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Umm... if you aren't traveling with someone in the passenger seat, there isn't much use for that particular airbag to blow up. I am not very sure, but perhaps when replacing the dash after a crash, that part can be skipped. Airbags really do cost a bomb, and if one can be saved, it would really save quite a dime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
@WAG7- Passenger side airbag should be disabled if suppose a child is sitting on that seat. Ideally kids should sit at the backseat only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
The passenger airbag can prove to be fatal for children sitting shotgun. Ideally, child passengers should be seated in the backseat only. So if you do have a child passenger sitting shotgun, ensure seatbelt is worn and airbag is disabled.
Thanks for the replies, that was informative. Actually I had no idea; such a feature existed for airbags. But it's difficult to convince kids to sit in the back seat, everyone wants to sit in the front!
Old 25th October 2010, 01:43   #66
BHPian

Great, detailed review flyingspur, One question. Is this the same unit thats doing duty in the Manza Safire and the Punto 1.4? If so i thought this should have been an absolute scorcher. I mean the Punto 1.4 is, i believe going by the reviews and the Manza is pretty ok.
So was the engine kinda detuned for FE ?
Old 25th October 2010, 02:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

@ Viper21

I have driven the Punto 1.4 for over 1500 kms and I can tell you its no scorcher.

But, once you have it in the right rev range, I cannot recall an engine that feels as nice as that block. I do think that the engine has a lot of potential, and as FS has indicated a different state of tune for the Vista, it should be fun to drive!
The weight difference should also help matters.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:59   #68

Excellent review...

Its an excelent review 'flyingspur'. I own a Vista aura - 2009. I have clocked more than 30k on the odometer. I agree wiht most of the problems posted by you.

There is one more major issue. The pheripheral view is pathetic on crowded corners. The angle of the 'A' pillar along with the open OVRMs makes it a lethal combination. Especially in tight corners, they block more than 1/3rd of the view on the sides. There have been many instances where i was close to knock down few riders and pedistrians because of this. In Maruthi-SX4, they have provided a see thru glass at the angle between the A pillar and OVRM to improve the visiblity. This needs to be replicated in Vista too to avoid casualties.

Other than the fit and finish, and the problem stated above, I would surely recommend this car.
Old 26th October 2010, 16:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

The new nomenclature sees indica tag smaller than the vista nameplate and the drivetech 4 sticker has been tacked on.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indica Vista90 : Test Drive & Review-photo1299.jpg  

Old 26th October 2010, 18:32   #70
BANNED

could not understand the concept behind the front passenger side windscreen wiper.
Over all it seems to be a small step ahead for TATA's. Still need to work a lot on the interiors.
Any upgrade for the Turbo Diesel in the Vista.
Old 26th October 2010, 18:52   #71
BHPian

Tata Quality?!

Excellent review flyingspur. The pics were really good.

I had seen many happy owners of Vista. But all these people have the same complaint regarding fit & finish. Why is still Tata not able to match it's opponents in terms of fit and finish?

Also Indica and other Tata cars seem to age quickly. Even understated cars like Fiesta age much slowly. Is it just my view or is it across the board? The fit and finish ceratinly has a say on this.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:06   #72
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Excellent review flyingspur. The pics were really good.

I had seen many happy owners of Vista. But all these people have the same complaint regarding fit & finish. Why is still Tata not able to match it's opponents in terms of fit and finish?

Also Indica and other Tata cars seem to age quickly. Even understated cars like Fiesta age much slowly. Is it just my view or is it across the board? The fit and finish ceratinly has a say on this.
Somehow, TATA vechicles are also subject to much more abuse by their buyers- possibly due to the feeling that they can take - based on the suspension feel over bumps and potholes. I myself treated by safari in that manner, and do the same to Indica's of friends and colleague when I get into them.

This must add to the apprearance of the car aging faster, but that is not necessarily a TATA build quality fault.

Just feel that the people who buy TATA vehicles besides looking for VFM deals also look at really using their vehicles.

TATA sells more Diesel Cars than Petrol ones by a big margin - unlike Maruti, and Hyundai, and Diesel cars are in general bought for high millage usage, this extrapolates to faster aging in a shorter period, with miles being piled on faster - not a bad thing, but it just seems so.
Old 28th October 2010, 23:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

ready..steady..gone, but where?

Tata Indica Vista90 : Test Drive & Review-101.jpg

Tata Indica Vista90 : Test Drive & Review-untitled1.jpg

Tata Indica Vista90 : Test Drive & Review-untitled2.jpg

Tata Indica Vista90 : Test Drive & Review-untitled3.jpg
Old 29th October 2010, 13:52   #74
Senior - BHPian

Why isn't the model wearing seatbelts? Why is her head out? Such ads shouldn't be allowed. The bottom image is wrong sided - note the wiper direction and absence of model badge on RHS fender. At the price it is being offered currently, this car is bound to fail in the market.

Last edited by directinjection : 29th October 2010 at 13:56.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:26   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Why isn't the model wearing seatbelts? Why is her head out? Such ads shouldn't be allowed. The bottom image is wrong sided - note the wiper direction and absence of model badge on RHS fender. At the price it is being offered currently, this car is bound to fail in the market.
Whats the On road price its being offered at?

EDIT- Just found out the ex-showroom Mumbai is 5.77 on the website-www.vista90.com.

This makes the price difference between Punto E+ around 80k, and with the discounts on punto only 40K. I think TATA might be pushing it a bit too far this time with the Vista.

Last edited by MihirC : 29th October 2010 at 17:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks