Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 17:44   #1651
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Glad to see that she is at Expo.. One question, can we assume that since it's at expo it will be launched? Not sure how should I read into this. I really hope to see her with DSG box available as an option.
Old 5th February 2014, 17:51   #1652
Distinguished - BHPian

Launching in 2nd half of 2014!

Quote:
The big news at Skoda is the comeback of the Yeti. To be launched in the second half of 2014, the facelifted Yeti features a new nose and revised tail. The most notable changes to the front are the wider grille and the bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights incorporated into them. The bonnet and the bumper are new as well. At the rear, the tail-lamps now get LEDs. The Indian Yeti is based on the Yeti Outdoor version and that means, like before, it will get black plastic cladding along the lower bits of the bumpers, side claddings and side moldings. It also gets new equipment in the form of a keyless entry and go system in addition to the electrically adjustable driver's seat, cruise control and tyre pressure monitoring system.
Source:ACI
Old 11th February 2014, 20:24   #1653
BHPian

I wish they launch that DSG L&K TDI variant in India. I will change my current Yeti with that one. I badly miss that DSG. Auto is becoming a must have if one has to drive long distances in Bangalore traffic.
Old 11th February 2014, 20:36   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorauto View Post
I wish they launch that DSG L&K TDI variant in India. I will change my current Yeti with that one. I badly miss that DSG. Auto is becoming a must have if one has to drive long distances in Bangalore traffic.
I agree. I will be first in line to get an Yeti with the DSG and hopefully the L&K trim with black interiors. Skoda, if you are listening, do it.
Old 13th February 2014, 11:07   #1655
Senior - BHPian

The front wiper blades (both) on my Yeti has started to split from the edges (around 5-6 cms) and that leaves water all over the screen and lot of noise. I am surprised, the blades lasted only 1.5 yrs. I was thinking of replacing it with some good brands such as Bosch. However, I am not sure if they will fit in our yeti. I am hesitant to opt for the OEM Skoda blades as the quality seems to be inferior and price exorbitant. Any one fitted Bosch wipers? And how much they cost?

I am also seeing that two of my alloys (Nevis) have deep scratches (on the edges as well as at the center) and its showing up bad on the looks. Another annoying problem is the carbon soot/brake waste being dumped on the alloys every now and then after a journey, no matter how much I clean it. So, I had this thought to repaint all my alloys to carbon black or grey. The only concern is how it is going to look on my acqua blue Yeti.
Old 13th February 2014, 12:11   #1656
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
The front wiper blades (both) on my Yeti has started to split from the edges (around 5-6 cms) and that leaves water all over the screen and lot of noise. I am surprised, the blades lasted only 1.5 yrs. I was thinking of replacing it with

I am also seeing that two of my alloys (Nevis) have deep scratches (on the edges as well as at the center) and its showing up bad on the looks. Another annoying problem is the carbon soot/brake waste being dumped on the alloys every now i.

Wipers normally last between 1.5 and 2 years depending on the conditions in which they are used.

If you live in a place like Bangalore, you can expect a 2 year time frame for the wipers as was the case with my Yeti. In harsher climates this may be less.
I find the Skoda OEM Wipers adequate for my usage patterns even in the hills, when it rains.

My alloys also (two of them strangely enough) have a couple of visible scars from coming into contact with our dear old Bangalore's broken stony horrid roads. I am also at a loss as to what to do about this. Luckily these scratches are not that evident, unless one looks closely.

I too, find that these carbon deposits are constantly there on my nice silver alloys but I have chosen to live with it, getting them wiped down every few days.

While I like maintaining my vehicle in pristine condition, I am not overly obsessive about getting the vehicle washed daily etc. I find that a weekly wash is perfectly fine for my usage patterns.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 16:19   #1657
Senior - BHPian

I got the wipers replaced sometime ago with Hella's. Got front as well as rear ones. Cost Rs 2400. It is a slightly different looks, but feels a lot better in quality. Now it wipes very quietly and effectively. I hope it lasts longer than the OEMs. Also came to know the driver side wiper is longer than the passenger one. Is not that bit strange? On closer examination, the rubber on the old OEM ones were even torn off from the middle.
Old 16th February 2014, 21:48   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco Sauce View Post
I agree. I will be first in line to get an Yeti with the DSG and hopefully the L&K trim with black interiors. Skoda, if you are listening, do it.
Even if they hear it loud and clear, I don't believe Skoda would have the courage to refrain from falling into the lure of positioning the Yeti in the same segment as the Duster. In fact, I suspect that they would be doing precisely that and focus mostly on a heavily de-speced 2 wheel variant.

That, to me would be a serious lack of imagination on the part of the Skoda product management. In my mind they would do far better if they steer clear of the XUV / Duster territory and peg it as a prudent alternative to the Koleos, and the SantaFe even challenging the X1 and Q3 Sport.

The top end L&K with adaptive headlamps and auto-park assist along with 4x4 DSG at somewhere around 26 lakhs would certainly put a spanner in the heads of a lot of X1 and Q3 buyers. Match that with intelligent marketing and Skoda can have a winner up its sleeve.
Old 17th February 2014, 06:55   #1659
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Skoda would have the courage to refrain from falling into the lure of positioning the Yeti in the same segment as the Duster. In fact, I suspect that they would be doing precisely that and focus mostly on a heavily de-speced 2 wheel variant.

er if they steer clear of the XUV / Duster territory and peg it as a prudent alternative to the Koleos, and the SantaFe even challenging the X1 and Q3 Sport.

26 lakhs would certainly put a spanner in the heads of a lot of X1 and Q3 buyers. Match that with intelligent marketing and Skoda can have a winner up its sleeve.

In order to gain volumes, it is quite possible that Skoda will fall into the trap outlined above.

The punters will never really respect the Yeti enough, in a calm, objective, product vs product analysis, to accord it the same 'weightage' and consideration as an X1 or Q3. We are simply not a mature enough market for such comparisons. With the exception of a mere handful, most people are buying X1's and Q3's right now because they want to show the world that they can afford these 'aspirational' marques and not for the utility value that they bring to the table. Most of the punters who are buying Santa Fe's and Koleos's are not going to choose a Yeti because its size will not excite them enough.

In India, at least for the next three to five years, vehicles like the Yeti, however competent they are, will only end up being 'niche' products.

The segment will open up further with the advent of vehicles like the Tiguan, Qashqai and possibly the Juke etc, but it will take that time. And by then, sadly, the Yeti, which may have in many ways helped to initiate thought and open peoples reluctant minds to this sophisticated, safe, 'fashion-forward', urban mini-suv segment, would have probably faded away into the sunset, to be replaced by something far snazzier and 'fashion relevant'!

I would be happy if my statements above are proven wrong, because that would indicate that our market is maturing at a faster rate than I have given it credit for!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th February 2014 at 06:57.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 07:33   #1660
Team-BHP Support

I dont think by de-spec'ing the Yeti, they would get into Duster/XUV territory. Today Yeti sells in the bracket 18-23L OTR range (correct me if I am wrong here). If that 23 can come down 18-19 OTR that would be ideal. However it should NOT be at the cost of de-spec'ing the quality of build, but changing the 2L engine to 1.6L.

Surely Koleos/Sante Fe are trying to fight at the German range. But I still think a good premium solution space exists for the 15-20L range too, esp with a sub 2L engine version.

Last edited by ampere : 17th February 2014 at 07:34.
Old 17th February 2014, 22:43   #1661
BHPian

My Yeti completes three years today. Ownership has been a bliss - about 51K on the odo clocked in diverse situations that this 4x4 is built to handle. Pitstops limited to the prescribed service schedule.
xoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 06:56   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In India, at least for the next three to five years, vehicles like the Yeti, however competent they are, will only end up being 'niche' products.
I completely agree that in India the Yeti and other similar ones like the Tiguan and Qashqai are probably going to be niche products at the moment but not for long. The constraints on the local driving conditions are quickly forcing the market to develop a strong connect with the compact SUV space. We can say that the Indian market is close to finding its own niche with that form factor. We can see that happening with the EcoSport, the Duster, and the Q3/X1 in their respective price bands. Remember, these are in very different segments and none of these are 7 seaters. I am sure this phenomena would continue in other price brackets as well.

Quote:
Most of the punters who are buying Santa Fe's and Koleos's are not going to choose a Yeti because its size will not excite them enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont think by de-spec'ing the Yeti, they would get into Duster/XUV territory. Today Yeti sells in the bracket 18-23L OTR range (correct me if I am wrong here). If that 23 can come down 18-19 OTR that would be ideal. However it should NOT be at the cost of de-spec'ing the quality of build, but changing the 2L engine to 1.6L.

Surely Koleos/Sante Fe are trying to fight at the German range. But I still think a good premium solution space exists for the 15-20L range too, esp with a sub 2L engine version.
The Yeti, now with 2 variants, viz. the Urban and the Outdoor can sit in a wide price band between 15 and 25 Lakhs. The Urban with a 2-wheel 1.4 L Petrol and the new 1.5L diesel can sit between 15 and 20 lakh bracket while the outdoor with a 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI in AWD configuration can sit between 20 and 25 lakhs. The completely loaded L&K outdoor would then be positioned right up there in the Koleos and SantaFe territory and probably challenging the Audi and BMW.

Quote:
We are simply not a mature enough market for such comparisons. With the exception of a mere handful, most people are buying X1's and Q3's right now because they want to show the world that they can afford these 'aspirational' marques and not for the utility value that they bring to the table.
The Yeti Outdoor L&K with all the bells and whistles should be available for not more than 26 Lakhs. A similar spec-ed X1 or Q3 is easily going to be at least 10-12 lakhs dearer. That is the price of a brand new Ecosport. There would be a whole bunch of buyers who would gravitate towards the more pragmatic Yeti.
Old 18th February 2014, 07:45   #1663
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The Yeti, now with 2 variants, viz. the Urban and the Outdoor can sit in a wide price band between 15 and 25 Lakhs. The Urban with a 2-wheel 1.4 L Petrol and the new 1.5L diesel can sit between 15 and 20 lakh bracket while the outdoor with a 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI in AWD configuration can sit between 20 and 25 lakhs. The completely loaded L&K outdoor would then be positioned right up there in the Koleos and SantaFe territory and probably challenging the Audi and BMW.

I sincerely hope that happens. Nothing is stopping them. All the engines are available in India. 1.4L goes to the Jetta TSI. Some how I hope the 1.5 Diesel is a powerful one. And more importantly hope all these configurations happen in India for the Yeti.
Old 26th February 2014, 00:05   #1664
Distinguished - BHPian

While it is a jack of all trades the Yeti is far from perfect which I hope has been addressed in the facelifted version. While the specs are more than adequate on paper there are glaring shortcomings when it comes to dynamics and feel. These are my personal views after my drive, which I feel buyers must know of as not many even bother to check out how any car drives.

- Non linear acceleration, slight jerky motion can be felt when you want it to do more, then turbo kicks in and car goes crazy. Should be tuned for more linearity as its a 95% city car.

- Steering stitching must be definetly more grippy, the shiny smooth steering is very slippery to inspire confidence. Perforated PU leather is the best fix. Costs can be cut by putting in PU leather all over.

- Nil steering feedback at low/crawling speeds, though it weighs up and gives feeback above 50. Steering has to have more character at all speeds. The curse of EPS lives on. Dynamics, not much to talk about.

- Diesel thrum radiates thru the floor and overall to all passengers, specially at medium speeds. Should definetly be better insulated. A 1.6 petrol should be considered as an eco-friendly more refined option at competitive pricing.

- Glaring omissions in the form of no bluetooth pairing/streaming, no electric folding wing mirrors for a 20L + car. Camera would be nice due to high rear windows but the existing top-view graphic proximity sensor is fine.

- Some have noted that the stock tyres do no good to a refined drive. Better tyres should be put in as default.

Last but not least make sure all Check-Engine lights/fuel pump issues are solved forever. Skoda is walking on edge as far as reliability goes.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 21:56   #1665
Team-BHP Support

The best thing about the Car is, whether you are due for a service or take the car out from ASC after its yearly/15,000 kms service, the driving experience is same. No difference in the car, very unlike other cars.

Most Viewed